Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Can NA beat every N64 game in a year? - 2019 85/303 Complete: 28.05%

Jun 30 at 1:47:59 AM
OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
Originally posted by: Gloves

Originally posted by: OptOut

SPLAIN ALERT!!! Mystical Ninja Staring Goemon is complete! First time I played this little N64 classic, it's one of those games that just seems to have been around forever waiting for me to play it. Overall, its a fun game, quite short and linear with relatively simple game design and graphics. But it's got a good sense of humour and style, and it's just a very light, colourful and happy game. You're not really missing much if you skip this one, but it's got enough going for it to make it an enjoyable play if you're in the mood. BTW I haven't abandoned Rally Challenge 2000, BUT I'm probably gonna be playing mystical ninja 2 next, lol!

Dash! Dash! Dash! 

There's some pretty zany songs and various goings-on in this game, that's for sure! I certainly enjoyed the giant robot battles, but my favourite part was swimming like a mermaid!  

-------------------------

***Help me finish my N64 set!!!***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...
***I will pay good money for YOUR shovelware sports games!!!***

Jul 04 at 5:57:50 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Hey Splainy baby, you asleep at the wheel? Didn't you see that I beat mystical Ninja?! I know you're a masked vigilante with a sense of justice that just won't quit, but when a leaderboard needs updating will you answer the call?  

Btw, I just got my second win on Rally Challenge 2000. The championship lets you save between each race, so you can just practice each track to grind out the wins. Actually a VERY fun rally game imo, I actually really like it. Still it's tough and might take me a while... 2 tracks down 7 to go!

Jul 05 at 6:44:12 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Whoa, how did I miss this for a week? The Splain alert must be busted...

Jul 05 at 9:47:43 PM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Originally posted by: Splain

Whoa, how did I miss this for a week? The Splain alert must be busted...

Must be mice chewing through the wires again! Not to fear, next time I beat a game I'll simply launch the surface-to-surface intercontinental ballistic SPLAIN missile, causing a SPLAINSPLOSION that will be impossible to miss!  

Jul 09 at 3:12:30 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
SPLAIN this is DOCTOR OPTOUTVIOUS speaking. You have 10 seconds to update the OP with my completion of Rally Challenge 2000, otherwise I will authorize the launch of a deathstrike capable of wiping out the entire eastern seaboard of the continental United States! 10... 9...

Rally Challenge 2000 is a good game, honestly. It's very generic as far as rally racing games go, I mean it would be very difficult to pick out from a line-up of other 32 and 64 bit rally games. But it plays really well, has good track variety, and is just a generally fun and solid title.

Also fun to note: an N64 game with Sony logos plastered all over one of the available rally cars! And can you spot the Stan Lee cameo in the 3rd picture below?

2... 1... MISSILE LAUNCH confirmed!

Jul 15 at 1:13:11 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
AAAUGH! I left town for a week, and when I came back, the entire eastern seaboard of the continental United States had been wiped out by what authorities are calling a "Splainsplosion." I was asked if I knew anything about who Splain was, and I said "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Gloves. My name is Gloves. Who is Splain? I need to get to a computer STAT."

Now I'm back in town and ready to play some more games. Ease up on the ICBMs!

Jul 19 at 1:46:09 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Went ahead and knocked out Bust-a-Move 2.

Edited: 07/22/2019 at 12:54 PM by Splain

Jul 22 at 12:55:58 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
And Bomberman 64.

Jul 26 at 2:02:07 AM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Pulled out Mario Tennis, and all my fancy footwork came right back to me, like I was still in high school.

Edited: 07/26/2019 at 02:04 AM by Splain

Jul 26 at 5:46:45 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Clearly the SPLAINSPLOSION was insufficient... Once I return from vacation, I will need to devise an even more terrifying and powerful signal to indicate my latest completion of an N64 game! MWAHAHAHAHA!

Aug 22 at 5:22:10 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
I'm back babies!

Although I certainly BOUGHT a lot of N64 games on my 5 week trip back to the UK, around 50 titles, I didn't actually PLAY any N64 at all!

However, all that's about to change, I'm gonna start by taking on the foggy repetitive mess that is South Park! Wish me luck cool dudes!  

Aug 22 at 9:41:13 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
**SPLAIN ALERT!** Chef's Luv Shack COMPLETE!

I got a little bored of South Park, so I spent 5 mins to beat South Park: Chef's Luv Shack instead!

This game looks great, EXACTLY like the show, it has humourous question categories and answers, and it's even got a nice little selection of fun mini-games...

The problem? No A.I. opponents! It's a party game, sure, but even Jeopardy has computer opponents to play against! What were they thinking?! If you play single player, you literally play SINGLE player!

Other than that, the game is rather light on content in general, certainly not worth the original RRP, even with other people playing together. If this was released today it would be the equivalent of one of those 15 dollar budget titles.

Oh well, back to South Park I guess!

Aug 29 at 11:48:24 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
**SPLAIN ALERT!** Hell yeah, South Park is complete!

I remember this game being quite the disappointment for a lot of South Park fans back in the day, and I also remember not really caring much for it either. Truth is, the game has its problems. The combat is repetitive, the early stages feel endless and disorienting, the visuals are relatively bland and repetitive too, with much of the game looking largely the same, fog and snow.

However, I actually quite enjoyed this playthrough! Although repetitive, the basic FPS mechanics are sound and fun, and it is genuinely exciting to see the town of South Park and its characters come to life on the N64. Also, while the early levels definitely drag, the second half of the game has more varied and interesting level designs, and the combat becomes much more engaging as the difficulty level ramps up and different tactics need to be employed to defeat enemies.

Overall, I was expecting not to enjoy much of my time with this game, but I left the experience much more entertained than I expected. I would recommend this game to people who enjoy the sort of simpler more mindless style FPS games, as long as you have a high tolerance for repetition in your gameplay. I'm not sure I could really recommend it to South Park fans simply on the back of the license though, as although the license is used quite well, and the voice acting and general humor of the game is great, it's spread rather too thinly to really get you proper into it.

Also, really strange cameo voice acting by Billy West in the last level. Sort of comes out of nowhere and doesn't really fit into the game, especially as Billy West has never performed any voice work for South Park, as far as I know...

Next, I will be attempting South Park Rally, of course, to tidy up the three South Park games. I am also thinking of going back to Tetrisphere, which managed to evade completion by me last year!

Aug 30 at 10:50:29 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Oh, just saw Tetrisphere has been done! Straight on to South Park Rally then!

Aug 30 at 12:55:16 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
I kind of liked South Park too! At the very least it didn't make me feel nauseated, unlike many FPS games (especially on the N64).

I think I tend to like "bad" FPS games more than their high-end equivalents, maybe because their slower and more deliberate gameplay works better for me.

Sep 03 at 2:19:50 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
**SPLAIN ALERT** F Zero X complete!

Figured I'd get this quick one out the way quick, while I'm working on South Park Rally. South Park Rally is a little more complex than I expected, with a variety of different game modes rather than simply racing, so I'm gonna need more practice!

Sep 06 at 11:52:26 PM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
**SPLAIN ALERT** South Park Rally complete!

Much like South Park, I got more enjoyment out of this game than I was expecting! It's not actually a traditional cart racer, in the sense that the championship mode is actually made up of a variety of different events, rather than just races. In fact, out of the 14 stages that make up the championship, only 2 or 3 are straight races, with other events including Turkey hunts, dropping off items at checkpoints, and various battle scenarios. Overall, this variety is a definite strength of the game, as the standard racing is pretty basic and easy, but some of the other events offer way more challenge.

It's not a perfect game by any means though. There are some events that prove frustrating, with luck necessary in a few cases to actually win. Also, you need to play the entire championship in one sitting, or else start over from scratch if you run out of lives or have to turn off the system and go outside or whatever. There is a save feature, but do NOT make the mistake of thinking this saves your championship progress like I did... It only saves unlocked characters, tracks and modes...

Anyway, good game, like it!  

Edited: 09/07/2019 at 12:50 AM by OptOut

Sep 16 at 3:57:22 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
**SPLAIN ALERT** Snowboard Kids complete!

Another cute little N64 classic. It's actually a little more difficult than I remembered it being, but main strategy is just go nuts with the weapons and take out as many of you opponents as you can, as often as you can!

Oct 03 at 9:50:07 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
**SPLAIN ALERT** Ocarina of Time is complete!

Just a quick run through of this absolute classic! It's as good as ever, I love this game so much, one of the best games on the system and an all time great!

Now, I have hit 30 titles, I'm on the home straight! I'm still on target to hit 40 this year, so let's get it done!

(Also, yeah, my character name for Zelda was Jesus, it was hilarious!)

Oct 03 at 12:39:51 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Lol that's great. I was hoping that one wouldn't go unbeaten.

I've actually been playing some easy titles, but I need better access to a TV so I can finish them. I need to get back on my "portable N64" project!

Oct 04 at 11:17:19 PM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Originally posted by: Splain

Lol that's great. I was hoping that one wouldn't go unbeaten.

I've actually been playing some easy titles, but I need better access to a TV so I can finish them. I need to get back on my "portable N64" project!

Good luck with that! Even Ben Heck had trouble getting a portable N64 up and running!

If you figure that out, you'll be a genius!

Oct 05 at 2:41:11 AM
Richardhead (13)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

Oct 05 at 3:00:00 AM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado

Oct 11 at 10:18:10 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
**SPLAIN ALERT** 007 World is not Enough complete!

Goes without saying, this is the SECOND best James Bond game on N64! Actually this game is not bad at all, if it wasn't so massively overshadowed by Goldeneye, I think it would be regarded far more highly.

As it is, the game does improve on certain aspects over Goldeneye in fact, certainly both in terms of graphics, cutscenes and voice acting. However, the mission design feels a little lacking by comparison, especially seeing as almost every mission has annoying instant fail conditions that will take a few tries to figure out. Combat is not quite as satisfying as Goldeneye either, but really it's not bad at all.

I'll definitely be coming back to this game to try on the higher difficulty settings, it's a good game and well worth a look.  

Oct 15 at 8:44:51 PM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
It has been awhile but, WCW/NWO Revenge is done. 
WCW/NWO Revenge

Edited: 10/15/2019 at 08:57 PM by themisfit138