Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Anyone here have a Retron 3? looking for opinions on the more recent one

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:03:44 AM
Satoshi_Matrix (17)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Brady Kachan) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario
Anyone here have a more recent Hyperkin Retron 3? The newer version comes in a box that has no flip top cover, the title is in blue lettering, and the system itself has only three switches. It supposedly has a better Famiclone and only three places for the front dile.

I have the older Retron 3  with the older flaws. I have the NOAC in the new system is much better producing correct audio and able to play Castlevania 3.

Can anyone confirm? I'm debating if I should buy a newer Retron 3 and sell my old one.

Thanks.

-------------------------
My modern and retro gaming blog http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.co...

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:29:34 AM
Enslaved (106)
(Edd Showalter) < Master Higgins >
Florida
I would say keep your older one, and buy the new one.

If you don't like the newer one, just return it.

Check out this really awesome WTB thread that I found, I heard this guy wants games at the cheapest rate possible!  Now on the look out for Unlicensed NES!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Nov 26, 2010 at 3:07:09 AM
perrigosadick (1)
(Justin Perrigo) < Crack Trooper >
Arkansas
how do you like the retron 3,ive been on the fence about getting one for awhile.this could tide me over till i get an actual snes and replace my broken genesis for a while,not to mention give my nes a break.

Nov 26, 2010 at 11:36:44 AM
Satoshi_Matrix (17)
Ontario
EVen the older Retron 3 is excellent for SNES compatibility and performance. With the S-video output and a real first party SNES controller, there's literally no difference from the real hardware in any game you throw at it. It will play any SNES game with the lone exception of SA-1 games because they require a lockout chip still under patient by Nintendo and thus illegal to produce. The only game in this case that won't play that you probably would care about is Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. As mentioned though, it will play every other SNES game you try, including repros as Seiken Densetsu 3 and Star Fox 2 both work perfectly on it. It also plays the Super Powerpak from Retrozone. It lacks region lock tabs, so it will also play Super Famicom games perfectly as well.

The Genesis side is good too, but not as perfect. While S-video provides a clean clear video, the audio is a little wonky. Not AWFUL like AtGames attempts, it's just that the volume levels are not what they should be, meaning some of the audio is twice as loud as it should be (some background music, some sound effects) while other music that should be louder is twice as quiet as usual (some lead music). It leads you to hear some things you probably would not have noticed on a real Genesis.

The biggest problem I have with it though is the NOAC Famiclone. It's little better than a 2005 Yobo FC Game Console. Inaccurate sound, wrong colors, displays glitches on some games, doesn't play advanced stuff like Castlevania 3 or the NES Powerpak.

When you buy one, make sure you get one in a smaller box without a handle or flip top design. The newer one has the word "Retron" in blue letters, while the older has it in white. Apparently the difference is that the newer one has a better NOAC and only three settings for the dile instead of four like the original.

All this said, when buying, first make sure you buy from a seller willing to accept returns or exchanges. As you can probably imagine, this is a system from China and carries no real quality guarantee. While mine has been fine, I've heard reports of system's being broken, defective, parts not working, stereo sound being reversed, controller ports not working, etc. Not sure how much of a real concern this is, but just be ready for a plan B should the worst happen to you.

Nov 26, 2010 at 11:53:28 AM
GCrites80s (0)
(G Crites) < El Ripper >
Ohio
I have 3 RetroN3s here. They are in the older packaging but the dial only has three settings (NES, Genesis, SNES; was the fourth setting on the old ones "OFF"?). There's a power button and a reset button. Sounds like they are the newer ones, but they may have been using up the older boxes.

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:31:02 PM
elhector (80)
(Hector Varga) < Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Can anyone provide a picture of the box of the new one and the old one?

Check out my YouTube Channel

Social Media Junk:

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Come check out what I have for sale.

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:37:38 PM
elhector (80)
(Hector Varga) < Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Also, does anyone know if the powerbase converter works on the Genesis part?

Check out my YouTube Channel

Social Media Junk:

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Come check out what I have for sale.

Nov 26, 2010 at 5:50:42 PM
Taskmaster99 (0)
(Robert Pero) < Crack Trooper >
United States
I just recently got a retron 3 from stone age gamer. Havent had much of a chance to play around with it yet.

Nov 26, 2010 at 5:52:52 PM
perrigosadick (1)
(Justin Perrigo) < Crack Trooper >
Arkansas
thanks for the reply,i appreciate all the info.youve been more than helpful.

Nov 26, 2010 at 10:16:07 PM
evilive138 (22)
(Mike Sherman) < El Ripper >
New Hampshire
Does the newer Retron 3 play castlevania 3? I heard it still can't.

Nov 27, 2010 at 11:31:25 AM
Taskmaster99 (0)
United States
Originally posted by: evilive138

Does the newer Retron 3 play castlevania 3? I heard it still can't.

I have a copy on the way from The Goat Store. Should be here this afternoon as per the tracking number. I will keep you updated.

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:17:33 PM
Taskmaster99 (0)
United States
I was just reading a thread on Atari Age and some people said that CV3 will play on the Retron 3 Ver.2 and not the Ver.1. I think I have the Ver.2 but we will find out as soon as the friggin mail shows up.

Nov 27, 2010 at 10:27:39 PM
Satoshi_Matrix (17)
Ontario
Check this thread for the differences:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/show...

As soon as someone gets a new one, let me know if Castlevania 3, the NES Powerpak and Tengen Afterburner work on the v2 Retron 3.

Nov 28, 2010 at 7:08:55 AM
Taskmaster99 (0)
United States
Got my copy of CV3 yesterday. took it aprt,cleaned it and put it in my NES. perfect. tried my Retron 3.......no go. Apparently i do have a version 1. Checked Stone Age Gamer and he is out of these systems. Going to have to find a version 2 now that i know what to look for.

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:02:59 PM
Retroscribe81 (241)
(Bill H) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
I love the Retron 3...but that's probably because I'm not all that picky about the problems that others have mentioned above. Saves a ton of space in my bedroom (which is where I play my games). Also took up 2 less slots on my AV-selector

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:20:26 PM
evilive138 (22)
(Mike Sherman) < El Ripper >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: linktothepastgaming

I love the Retron 3...but that's probably because I'm not all that picky about the problems that others have mentioned above. Saves a ton of space in my bedroom (which is where I play my games). Also took up 2 less slots on my AV-selector

Yeah, ive been thinking about getting one just to save space as well. 

Nov 28, 2010 at 1:16:03 PM
WaverBoy (1)

(Jeff Nelson) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
Clones aren't worth it, unless you really really need a space saver, but I'd sacrifice space over authentic NES gameplay, and let's face it, the gameplay on NES clones, including the Retron 3, is seriously effed up.

Nov 28, 2010 at 5:16:02 PM
Satoshi_Matrix (17)
Ontario
For anyone interested in the Retron 3, here's my in-depth review of the Retron 3 v1:

http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.co...

Sep 13 at 10:27:29 PM
rideordie71 (0)

< Cherub >
Ohio
ALL SA-1 games will work on the retron 3 but it takes wiring in a pic microcontroller and with the right code.
See my YouTube video as proof.

*** youtu.be/gFN4zBzeKGs *** Also tested on other SNES clones with TCT-97x chipset.

Edited: 09/15/2019 at 12:00 PM by rideordie71