Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Does anyone fix DSi XLs? I have two broken, read details

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:59:45 PM
85collector (49)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia
I acquired 2 DSi XLs in uncertain condition and turns out they both don't work. The screens look physically fine and if I recall I also tested the batteries and that was not the probem either. They just don't turn on, though IIRC the charging light comes on when you plug in the charger.

From the little reading I did, it might be the fuses but I don't know. Can anyone fix these for a reasonable price? I don't need them before Christmas but I'm hoping to get them working soon. Thanks!

-------------------------
My FS thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:09:22 AM
Nes Freak (31)
(Dave ) < Ridley Wrangler >
California
Originally posted by: 85collector

I acquired 2 DSi XLs in uncertain condition and turns out they both don't work. The screens look physically fine and if I recall I also tested the batteries and that was not the probem either. They just don't turn on, though IIRC the charging light comes on when you plug in the charger.

From the little reading I did, it might be the fuses but I don't know. Can anyone fix these for a reasonable price? I don't need them before Christmas but I'm hoping to get them working soon. Thanks!

i have fixed a ds with fuse problems by just bypassing them with solder but if you want it done right by actually replacing the fuse thats another story.  let me know though pm what you want if your interested.

Dec 20, 2014 at 11:45:33 AM
85collector (49)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia
Originally posted by: nes freak

i have fixed a ds with fuse problems by just bypassing them with solder but if you want it done right by actually replacing the fuse thats another story.  let me know though pm what you want if your interested.

Well I'm not even sure the problem is the fuse. I'm hoping to get a professional-type repair because I may sell or give one of them as a gift. I do have a DS Lite with the same problem that I might want to fix your way though.

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:48:09 PM
DxS (150)
(Renegade Space Ninja) < Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
Does the charging light blink when you have it plugged in? If the fuse is blown it should start blinking instead of staying solid. If your fuses are bad I can replace them for you, just provide me with the new fuses and take care of shipping both ways.

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:59:48 PM
Nes Freak (31)
(Dave ) < Ridley Wrangler >
California

Originally posted by: nes freak

Well I'm not even sure the problem is the fuse. I'm hoping to get a professional-type repair because I may sell or give one of them as a gift. I do have a DS Lite with the same problem that I might want to fix your way though.

i see. ok well good luck getting them fixed.

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:56:34 PM
85collector (49)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia
Originally posted by: DxS

Does the charging light blink when you have it plugged in? If the fuse is blown it should start blinking instead of staying solid. If your fuses are bad I can replace them for you, just provide me with the new fuses and take care of shipping both ways.

Hey, I just tested them. Neither one has burned out fuse apparently. The one doesn't light up at all. Nothing. 

The other one has solid orange light and turns on, but then turns off after like 2 seconds of displaying the start up screen. I'm giving it a long charge to see if it could be a dead battery. Any idea of how to diagnose the first one? I'd really love to get them working. Thanks!

UPDATE: it was the battery! The second one turns and plays games fine. But there's no sound in the speakers or headphones..

Edited: 12/20/2014 at 06:20 PM by 85collector

Dec 20, 2014 at 6:22:00 PM
DxS (150)
Florida

Hey, I just tested them. Neither one has burned out fuse apparently. The one doesn't light up at all. Nothing. 

The other one has solid orange light and turns on, but then turns off after like 2 seconds of displaying the start up screen. I'm giving it a long charge to see if it could be a dead battery. Any idea of how to diagnose the first one? I'd really love to get them working. Thanks!

The charge port fuse might be bad. Try swapping the batteries and see if it powers on then.

Dec 20, 2014 at 11:41:52 PM
85collector (49)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia

The charge port fuse might be bad. Try swapping the batteries and see if it powers on then.
Ok thanks! Here's what I've got:

DSI #1: Everything works except the volume controls. They are non-working and stuck at mute. However I could get sound in speakers and microphone by using the slider in the song playback  bit. Hopefully dirty but I'll bet the sound switch needs replacing. Also, the battery is mostly charged but the “charging” symbol on the display will not go away (the orange with a flashing plug instead of blue bars). But it seems to work fine.

DSI #2: Works when I place a charged battery in it but will not light up for a charger at all, also when I use the camera I get "An error has occured" and it will not load physical games (One of the pins looks bent in the connector so I assume that problem is mechanical not electronic).

Do you know how to fix any of these issues? That would be great.

Edited: 12/21/2014 at 01:11 AM by 85collector

Dec 21, 2014 at 4:53:58 AM
DxS (150)
Florida

DSI #1: Everything works except the volume controls. They are non-working and stuck at mute. However I could get sound in speakers and microphone by using the slider in the song playback  bit. Hopefully dirty but I'll bet the sound switch needs replacing. Also, the battery is mostly charged but the “charging” symbol on the display will not go away (the orange with a flashing plug instead of blue bars). But it seems to work fine.

DSI #2: Works when I place a charged battery in it but will not light up for a charger at all, also when I use the camera I get "An error has occured" and it will not load physical games (One of the pins looks bent in the connector so I assume that problem is mechanical not electronic).

Does the 1st system have the same charging problem with both of the batteries? For the volume problem, I'd swap over the bottom part of the shell from the other system and see if it works then. I'm not sure about the camera on the 2nd unit, but unbending the pin and replacing the charge port fuse should fix the other issues.

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:38:12 AM
85collector (49)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia

Does the 1st system have the same charging problem with both of the batteries? For the volume problem, I'd swap over the bottom part of the shell from the other system and see if it works then. I'm not sure about the camera on the 2nd unit, but unbending the pin and replacing the charge port fuse should fix the other issues.

Yeah, the battery doesn't make a difference. And both batteries give a regular blue bar display on the 2nd system. I'll see if I can diagnose the sound problem, I'll probably open it up and maybe try the swap. If it turns out to be the volume switch that needs a replacement, would you be able to do the volume switch, the charging fuse, and a new cartridge reader/connector? (I'd rather replace it than unbend it, but I'll probably inspect it first).

If you can do that I'd be willing to pay something in addition to covering the parts.

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:43:03 AM
DxS (150)
Florida

Yeah, the battery doesn't make a difference. And both batteries give a regular blue bar display on the 2nd system. I'll see if I can diagnose the sound problem, I'll probably open it up and maybe try the swap. If it turns out to be the volume switch that needs a replacement, would you be able to do the volume switch, the charging fuse, and a new cartridge reader/connector? (I'd rather replace it than unbend it, but I'll probably inspect it first).

If you can do that I'd be willing to pay something in addition to covering the parts.

Sure, I should be able to take care of that for you. I think I already have extra parts to fix all of those problems.