Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Tools for NES Label Printing What kind of paper, laminate, printer quality, etc.

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:15:35 AM
Luigi_Master (29)
(Kevin McConnell) < Kraid Killer >
United States
Greetings.  As you all may know, GameReproductions.com can print out labels for you to use.  However, the site seems to be closed for the time being, and have been constantly checking back to see if it went back up.  Even if his site wasn't down, I'd still like to do these every once in a while, since I can do it instantly.

What I'd like to know is, what kind of printer is the best one to go with?  Obviously industrial grade printers are the go-to for this, but are there any personal printers that can do the job just as well?  I've read here that he used "full-page adhesive inkjet paper" to print the labels on, then covered them with "laminating full page laminating plastic", so are there any particular brands that would work well?  Finally, is there a tool that helps cut the labels out much faster and accurate, especially the corners?

Also, no need to be specific with the brand name and model of the paper, printers, or what have you, just tell me what I should look for.  Like an "inkjet printer" that prints at "200 DPI" and uses a "MOS 6502", or whatever technical terms are found across various brands.  Thanks for listening, and I hope you can help!

-------------------------
I got some goodies on eBay.  Wanna see more, read the news, etc?  Check below:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 03/29/2012 at 03:20 AM by Luigi_Master

Mar 29, 2012 at 9:25:05 AM
daywalker2k2 (107)
(Marbin Batres) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
This would be cool as well..maybe also at what size you need to print to get it at the right size to put the label on there

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:12:55 AM
NESHomebrew (21)
(Brad Bateman - Strange Brew Games) < King Solomon >
Saskatchewan
The MOS 6502 seems fitting May not be the best processor for the job though.

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:16:07 PM
Luigi_Master (29)
United States
Nah, I think the Ricoh 5A22 is worse, since it's just a flashy processor with no real power.  The Ricoh 2A03 on the other hand was a jack of all trades, meaning that it's game library wasn't exclusive to RPGs.

On a serious note, the label size also seems to fluctuate around random values, the most common being 649x1140 while some preferring to work with 680x1205, so is there a standard?  Or you can make them any size you please, but you need to specify how it should be printed, like 2.5 inches by 4?

Edited: 03/29/2012 at 01:23 PM by Luigi_Master

Mar 29, 2012 at 5:43:45 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
Those are just the resolution sizes of the images. The bigger the picture, the better it's quality is (theoretically). Images get scaled down when printed. All you have to do is figure out the right printing dimensions for your NES labels and anything you pump through your printer will be fine.

That information is probably floating around the internet somewhere (probably in the NA archives). If you can't find it, try using a ruler or tape measure on an existing NES label (preferrably a repro one that hasn't been stuck to anything yet).

Mar 29, 2012 at 7:19:21 PM
DxS (150)
(Renegade Space Ninja) < Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
I think these are the dimensions of a NES label (in inches).

Hight 3.853
Width 2.186

Mar 29, 2012 at 9:25:39 PM
Luigi_Master (29)
United States
Alright, we're getting there. On that same page I linked, the guy managed to print several labels on the same sheet of paper, so would that need a special program to arrange 6-9 of them on a page to save paper?

And we still need info on what kind of printer and paper would be best for this job. I want the colors to be nice and bright and to have some sort of protection.

Mar 30, 2012 at 4:01:08 PM
SinNombre (16)
(Allen ?) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
You can get cheap sheets of laminate at meijer (if you have one) or Walmart. Usually 2 bucks for 2 sheets, sometimes on sale for 1 buck for 2 sheets. If I make a label in GIMP I usually print them at 55mm x 98mm long. Fingernail clippers used on the corners makes for decent rounding. I still haven't found a great paper. Glossy photo paper looks the best but it's usually thick and you have to use spray adhesive or contact cement to adhere to the cartridge. I haven't found a decent adhesive paper that takes the ink as well as photo paper. Any photo editing program would allow you to space them on 1 sheet. GIMP is free to download.

Mar 30, 2012 at 4:09:06 PM
Luigi_Master (29)
United States
Alright, thanks for the tips, I appreciate it!

Apr 16, 2012 at 5:46:01 AM
NiO (3)
(NiO ErZeBeTh) < Meka Chicken >
Mexico
Originally posted by: Luigi_Master

Alright, we're getting there. On that same page I linked, the guy managed to print several labels on the same sheet of paper, so would that need a special program to arrange 6-9 of them on a page to save paper?

And we still need info on what kind of printer and paper would be best for this job. I want the colors to be nice and bright and to have some sort of protection.
I have seen Corel Draw, but seems like photoscape does that (haven't do it, but I remember it by a mugen tutorial about making a spritesheet with individual sprites)

Hey yo, check this out https://www.facebook.com/deadpool...