Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

***New N64 NFR Variant*** Zelda fans may want to look.

Jan 26, 2016 at 5:19:58 AM
JaxsBox (102)
(( NFR )) < Bowser >
United States
Had to attach the image because it was not uploading directly to the page after be loaded to NA. It seems to a rear variant NFR or one that is at least new to me. Has anyone come across this one in the past?

-------------------------
FS/FT/FO: Nintendo Handhelds, Demos/NFRs, Development Equipment, Prototypes, and more http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...
Always looking to buy Nintendo Not For Resale titles, Promo items, Development/Test Equipment, and Nintendo Platform Prototypes.

Edited: 01/26/2016 at 05:25 AM by JaxsBox

Jan 26, 2016 at 6:45:19 AM
rdools (91)
(Rick Dools) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
I traded one off to my buddy, but I can't remember what the back sticker is, I'll ask him.

Jan 26, 2016 at 6:54:29 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
That's not new, you of all people should already have this, haha. I sold one to Zeldafan close to 18 months ago.

Look in my NFR haul thread from 2014, you can still see it clearly pictured there in the N64 section.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jan 26, 2016 at 7:45:00 AM
JaxsBox (102)
(( NFR )) < Bowser >
United States
Originally posted by: jonebone

That's not new, you of all people should already have this, haha. I sold one to Zeldafan close to 18 months ago.

Look in my NFR haul thread from 2014, you can still see it clearly pictured there in the N64 section.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&th...
The is a variant rear label that in which had not caught my attention until lately when going through my N64 set. The v1 has the triple stacked Not For Resale Demo Game Only. The V2 has it only as a double stack. Had actually tried to buy that one from you Jones but at the time it was not for sale. Instead we made a few deals on handheld consoles NFRs. When we spoke that cart fell into 2 collecting realms you had interest in N64 and casual NFR. It went forgotten about for me and Zeldafan may not have even noticed the difference. Being 18 months old it still has not been mentioned that it was a V2 NFR?

FS/FT/FO: Nintendo Handhelds, Demos/NFRs, Development Equipment, Prototypes, and more http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...
Always looking to buy Nintendo Not For Resale titles, Promo items, Development/Test Equipment, and Nintendo Platform Prototypes.

Edited: 01/26/2016 at 07:54 AM by JaxsBox

Jan 26, 2016 at 8:02:13 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: JaxsBox

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&thread...
The is a variant rear label that in which had not caught my attention until lately when going through my N64 set. The v1 has the triple stacked Not For Resale Demo Game Only. The V2 has it only as a double stack. Had actually tried to buy that one from you Jones but at the time it was not for sale. Instead we made a few deals on handheld consoles NFRs. When we spoke that cart fell into 2 collecting realms you had interest in N64 and casual NFR. It went forgotten about for me and Zeldafan may not have even noticed the difference. Being 18 months old it still has not been mentioned that it was a V2 NFR?

He knew the difference and paid handsomely for it. I don't like selling certain things from the collection, but when the offer is above and beyond then it can be hard to say no.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jan 26, 2016 at 8:20:11 AM
icarwngs55 (67)
(Michael D) < El Ripper >
United States
Meh.

The back sticker was a grab bag according to what Nintendo sent out and which store it went to. Again these came from Nintendo with stickers in place, sometimes they "forgot" to place them. That is why you have some NFR games with stickers, some without, and others with sharpy on the back listing store name/number if the rep/store felt so inclined.

I'm not trying to open that can of worms of "do back stickers matter," but really it was more random than you think. If stickers are variants, then so is Sharpy on the back as the store/rep did that as no sticker was in place.

More important (in my opinion) just to have a nice, clean cart

Jan 26, 2016 at 8:39:56 AM
JaxsBox (102)
(( NFR )) < Bowser >
United States
Originally posted by: icarwngs55

Meh.

The back sticker was a grab bag according to what Nintendo sent out and which store it went to. Again these came from Nintendo with stickers in place, sometimes they "forgot" to place them. That is why you have some NFR games with stickers, some without, and others with sharpy on the back listing store name/number if the rep/store felt so inclined.

I'm not trying to open that can of worms of "do back stickers matter," but really it was more random than you think. If stickers are variants, then so is Sharpy on the back as the store/rep did that as no sticker was in place.

Just pointing out that this label is a variant to the one more commonly found. As for the part about the Sharpy most people are going shrug that one off. Clean labels are always most desirable for all rears. Some people could care less about all the variants because truthfully they are mostly marginal differences. So while my interest is for them this topic is just sharing the info with those fellow collectors interested.

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:53:27 AM
ifightdragons (7)
< Lolo Lord >
Norway
What's really the big deal about these anyway? Like, seriously.

I write shorthand reviews of every classic game I beat on The Backloggery, have a look-see.

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:24:45 AM
AtariJay (0)
(jbob h) < Meka Chicken >
Ohio
Originally posted by: ifightdragons

The big deal is that JaxsBox sells NFR stuff on eBay for a lot of money so writing posts about this type of stuff creates hype so he can make money.

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:29:32 PM
joe19 (26)
(Joe Schmo) < Eggplant Wizard >
Ontario
Personally, I haven't noticed much of a difference in rarity between the "Not For Resale Demo Game Only" written on 2 lines versus the 4 line version on the grey cart NFR. On the Gold cart NFR, I've only seen the 4-line variant, though I question how many people are interested in such minor variations.

Jan 26, 2016 at 3:11:16 PM
JaxsBox (102)
(( NFR )) < Bowser >
United States
Decent ammount of people follow the NFR scene these days. N64 seems to have a very large popularity amongst all the sets. It's a niche type of collection.

Originally posted by: helloatarijason

The big deal is that JaxsBox sells NFR stuff on eBay for a lot of money so writing posts about this type of stuff creates hype so he can make money.
  LOL... It's true about me listing many NFRs on the bay. As for selling it's hit n miss over the years. This caty happens to be one that will not likely go up for sale until a minty one is found to replace it. Hype can be good for business but a killer when you are after the said hyped up cart. Will continue to search for one and hopefully get lucky.

Originally posted by: joe19

Personally, I haven't noticed much of a difference in rarity between the "Not For Resale Demo Game Only" written on 2 lines versus the 4 line version on the grey cart NFR. On the Gold cart NFR, I've only seen the 4-line variant, though I question how many people are interested in such minor variations.
A few NFR collectors this will interest but as a majority most will not give rats arse about it. Then anyone outside of collecting NFRs really could care less. Variants tend to be for fanatic collectors looking to just collect something else outside the norm.

Jan 26, 2016 at 3:16:39 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Originally posted by: icarwngs55

Meh.

I will save you the trouble.  They don't matter.

Edited: 01/26/2016 at 03:16 PM by pegboy

Jan 26, 2016 at 3:41:10 PM
ifightdragons (7)
< Lolo Lord >
Norway

Decent ammount of people follow the NFR scene these days. N64 seems to have a very large popularity amongst all the sets. It's a niche type of collection.
I know of its niche popularity, of course. That really wasn't the aim of the questioning 
It's just concerning to me that people are obsessing over and willing to spend incredible amounts of money on NFR and screw variants.

I write shorthand reviews of every classic game I beat on The Backloggery, have a look-see.

Jan 26, 2016 at 4:25:31 PM
joe19 (26)
(Joe Schmo) < Eggplant Wizard >
Ontario

LOL... It's true about me listing many NFRs on the bay. As for selling it's hit n miss over the years. This caty happens to be one that will not likely go up for sale until a minty one is found to replace it. Hype can be good for business but a killer when you are after the said hyped up cart. Will continue to search for one and hopefully get lucky.
If you're serious about upgrading, let me know if these whet your appetite.

Jan 26, 2016 at 4:41:37 PM
Skorp (39)
(Bryan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Congrats on getting it for a decent price. Yeah, when I first saw it, I thought it was a fake or something as it looked weird lol. I already have the main version and that's enough for me, so decided to pass off on this and not bid crazy.

@jonebone....your thread is just eye candy. <3 Wow.

Help complete my N64 NFR With Minty Back Sticker set. Only need two more:
              Diddy Kong Racing and Super Smash Bros!
Want to Buy/Want to Trade For Thread|For Sale/Offer Thread

Jan 26, 2016 at 6:17:54 PM
Sinnbox (10)
(Joel sinn) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&th...
Those pictures make me want to cry... I found a lot like that at a local store in 2009 or 10. The local Babages regional manager had traded in all of the NFR's that he had collected from the stores in his district at a local retro store. there were multiples of almost every SNES and 64 NFR. The owner of the local store that thought he knew everthing about collectable games had marked out all the the NFR labels with black permanant marker, and torn the labels off of the few that had back labels. I was pretty upset about it.

Collection Totals:

NES: 500+
SNES: 300+
N64:124
Dreamcast: 45 - Looking for more