NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NA High Score Database?

LOCKED TOPIC

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:47:07 AM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
This would be awesome and has been talked about for a couple years at least . I still remember single life-ing Super Mario Bros. 3 for I think 6 hours, playing every level, and getting a ridiculous high score in 09.

-------------------------
Let's Go Penguins!

Edited: 11/10/2012 at 12:48 AM by dr.robbie

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:03:11 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: dr.robbie

This would be awesome and has been talked about for a couple years at least . I still remember single life-ing Super Mario Bros. 3 for I think 6 hours, playing every level, and getting a ridiculous high score in 09.

Epic contest! I thought I would win it until the last minutes!

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:45:29 AM
Nightowljrm (42)
(Joseph Morgan) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
That'd be really cool to have an NA Scoreboard-type thing. I'd be all for it.

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:17:54 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Originally posted by: WashYourFace

I'll get things started.
I got 50,000 on Double Dragon.

This would put you fourth according to the high-score contest we held in 2010, and it was done 1-life only:
DOUBLE DRAGON RESULTS

131,820 – bimmy_lee +10
101,840 – guillavoie +8
60,870 – Lincoln +6
48,390 – E-Man +4
41,490 – Bea_Iank +2
27,460 – Tw1tch +1
19,160 – AceEbb +1
17,110 – carnold1103 +1

If I recall correctly, I think someone on here said I got really close to the Twin Galaxies record for Double Dragon 2 when we played that a year or two ago for the weekly contest.  With that being said, I would own all at Double Dragon and Double Dragon 2

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:28:34 AM
zombi (43)
< El Ripper >
Michigan
So, should we wait for the feature to be finished (is it that close?) or should we just start a thread?

Nov 10, 2012 at 6:43:13 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
I'd say start a thread until it's ready. I don't want anyone waiting on me, because I sometimes get sidetracked (ok, most of the time).

Nov 10, 2012 at 6:46:35 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Dain, for how much shit you have to do around here, I doubt anyone is concerned if you get a bit sidetracked.

I'll have to dig up the DVD from when I broke the then-record for The Punisher (it's second-place now iirc)...for some reason I couldn't get the audio to sync with the video unless I played it in the recorder, but once I dig it up I can easily get a screenshot of the score for the thread

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Nov 10, 2012 at 6:51:19 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
I do have some questions on how we should handle entering data for past contests -- should we have like a bulk loader or not worry about past scores?

Also, what types of scoring verification types should we allow?

I'd like people to be able to enter their own scores on their own behalf (to track their own personal progress), but these would need to be under a different "unofficial" type of verification. At any rate, right now we have games in the system, a way to track scores, but what we're a bit light on is how we should handle some of the fringe conditions.

Any ideas on "how it should work" would be VERY welcome right now. This is the chance to get things done the way you'd like it to work.

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:13:37 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

Originally posted by: Alder

Originally posted by: g_block

Originally posted by: JD

With TwinGalaxies in limbo, I'm all for keeping a scoreboard here on NA, I have kind of been hoping we would come up with one.

What's going on with TG, JD?

I think they're moving their site or something.

Apparently there's new ownership.  They're revamping the site and whatnot...supposed to be up and running by December, but nothing concrete.  There's a bulletin up at twingalaxies.com at the moment that pretty much says "we're working on changes, we'll be back soon."

At this point I probably know more than anyone since I'm friends with some of the partial new owners, but basically what you said is true, in a nutshell.   Lots more stuff will be announced this coming week during the Kong Off II.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:36:58 PM
Alder (52)
(Tom B.) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Dain

I do have some questions on how we should handle entering data for past contests -- should we have like a bulk loader or not worry about past scores?

Also, what types of scoring verification types should we allow?

I'd like people to be able to enter their own scores on their own behalf (to track their own personal progress), but these would need to be under a different "unofficial" type of verification. At any rate, right now we have games in the system, a way to track scores, but what we're a bit light on is how we should handle some of the fringe conditions.

Any ideas on "how it should work" would be VERY welcome right now. This is the chance to get things done the way you'd like it to work.
A few things come to mind.  First, are you only planning on tracking games that have a points system?  They would be the easiest to track I guess -- but there's also best lap times on racing games, etc.  Assuming we're only considering point-based high scores...

I hadn't thought about a private high scores system.  I can see the appeal but I'm not sure if I'd use it, personally.  Perhaps there's a way to integrate the two?  For example, let's say there's a new "High Scores" section of the site.  On the main HS page you could search by platform, by game title, etc.  When viewing a particular title, the top players will be listed such as:

Username -- Points -- Rank

With as many pages/ranks as there are entries for that game. 

Perhaps uploading your own scores could be done from the same page OR from your My Home page.  Basically the idea is, say I upload 15 scores for various games, and I'm 4th place in Donkey Kong.  I upload all my scores--then if I go to the High Scores page, look at the high scores for Donkey Kong, my name's there as rank 4.  But, you could also view your personal scores via your profile page.  (...Name History - Collections - Blog - Gallery - High Scores - ...) where clicking on the High Scores tab will show you a page of all 15 scores I have uploaded. 

The important thing is verification.  I think to get the ball rolling we could just use the honor system with the scores Miss Clawful just posted.  But perhaps you could require verification above a certain rank, but not below it?  For example, some random member uploading a score of 55,000 on Pinball doesn't need to take a picture.  But someone saying they broke the Rank 1 (or top 3, etc) place in Tetris or something should be required to prove it with video/pictures to some sufficient extent.  I don't think many people will quibble over rank 45 vs 44, but dethroning someone in the top 5 or so would kind of require some type of proof.  Whether you go as far as to take a picture of your NES to prove there's no Game Genie (a la Nintendo Power), I guess that's up to you guys

Now, here's another idea: maybe there could be an overall high score table with the combined scores across all games?  So there could be an overall rank with your total accumulation of points across all titles.  I think that would be pretty neat.  But there's so many games out there, it's hard to say whether it'd really be useful or not. 

Hope that sparks some ideas. 

Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:03:21 AM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
The masses have asked, and the boss has spoken.
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...
Start posting your idea's in the thread so he can get it finalized!
Good luck to all involved in this project...

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!