Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NES Homebrews: more than just microbrews? Part 2

May 17, 2007 at 3:33:15 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
(Article continued from NintendoAGE.com frontpage)

Let it be stated that a homebrew is, in concept, far different than a repro (reproduction cartridge). Some homebrew games are burnt into chips on existing cartridges. Many of the rom-only games available can be played on your home system this way. It should be mentioned that all of the Sudoku cartridges currently in circulation are by the strictest definition, repros. So what is the difference? The release itself, for one...the fact that Al Bailey has hit the pavement and the boards to solicit his new game, a product of his own labor. In Al's words: "Obviously its a game but to me what makes it collectable is: limited production and wide-spread availability. I'm trying to make it available at cost at a number of different meets." So far Sudoku has been sold at a Toronto convention, with Ohio (CCAG, May 26) and Las Vegas (CGE, July 28) likely being the last two stops on its introductory tour.

Adding to the value and collectibility, the materials he's used inside the cartridge and the custom box, manual and sleeve, as well as his label (including holographic copy-protection; each copy's hologram is individually numbered and reads "Sudoku 2007 ##/100) all contribute to the totality of the release. A purchase of the first-run of Sudoku is much more than the purchase of the ROM, which is available freely and advertised by Al himself. Whether for profit or not, a homebrew release has a certain physical as well as an intrinsic quality that is far different than reprogramming one of your old yard sale finds and printing a label off from the internet. Anyone with the right equipment can repro a Stadium Events...but it would be worthless.

"For the Toronto show which was on April 29th, I had only made 30 grey carts and 5 gold ones.", says Al Bailey of his new game, "Since then, I havent made any more carts. I will, I just dont look forward to how much time and work it takes." He has plans and materials to create 100 cartridges total: numbers 1-10 will be gold-painted copies to be awarded exclusively as prizes and gifts, and the last 90 grey ones to be sold to the public. The offering price is currently $25 USD/$30 CDN apiece, which according to the creator only barely covers costs. While inexpensive compared to brand-new NES games back in the 80's and 90's, Al says convention-goers have expressed surprise at the price point. "The most common quote would have been, 'I thought you weren't planning on making any money from this,'" Al reflects. "I tried to keep it cheap but I also wanted things to be good quality and desireable to collectors. I tried to save money by buying everything up front (EPROMs, boxes etc.. are cheaper when bough in lots of 100). According to my spreadsheet where I've tracked all my expenses, if I dont get hit by a truck and do succeed in making all 100 carts, they will have cost me $24.00 CDN each to make, meaning I'll need to sell them at at least $26.50 [CDN] each (since the gold are not for sale) just to break even. ($23 if I dont count the cost of equipment). I suspect that my expenses will increase as I need to ship games to shows like Vegas...Also, I still have some more parts that havent come in yet, so I will likely have to pay taxes and duties on them."

Al is admittedly more interested in the possibility of a second version that would be produced in larger quantities much more easily and less time-intensively than his first offering, for which each individual cartridge has taken him nearly an hour of his own time to fabricate. The new version would be a true unlicensed game, with innovations such as a custom PCB, lockout-bypass chip, and a new cartridge casing. Improvements to the game itself would include include such innovations as music, bugfixes and different, improved puzzles (expanding on the original 99 in the first "numbered" Sudoku release). With very recent advances by the NES development community, Al believes a second wide-release is "definitely close to reality."

With the potential for a new "true unlicensed" game release only just now on the horizon, one might ask the question why NES homebrew cartridges have been so few and far-between thusfar? It seems the Atari 2600 benefits from a wealth of active programmers and homebrewers; why less so for the NES? Part of the problem has been the lockout chip. Even with a custom PCB (printed circuit board) that would be compatible with the NES, the lockout chip inside most systems would just keep resetting the game. Using donor carts with the CIC (the key to the lock) solves the problem, but then there's the issue of accumulating a large enough pool of donor carts that are compatible with your programming - there are in the neighborhood of 200 program memory mappers all with different ways of handling the way games function on the NES. Very recently, the code to the "key" chip has been reverse engineered, meaning it can be programmed onto a custom chip and installed to a circuit board - at additional cost to the manufacturer of the potential homebrew, of course.

By now you're getting the idea that it's an immensely complicated proposition, made moreso by the lack of any known surviving NES development kits or tools beyond that which the folks at NESdev have gathered and created themselves. Programming is done in 6502 assembly language, which is one step away from raw machine code...no cushy C++ or java libraries to exploit. All of that said, this isn't enough to discourage the hardiest and most intrepid of souls. Currently other programmers have homebrew games in various stages of development, and while many are content to keep their releases ROM-only, at least one - Strangulation Games - has set their eyes on a cart release as evidenced by their infamous 2002 release "schedule" featuring four cartridges with custom labels. The future of homebrew releases is unsure to say the least, but now that the Garage Cart is no longer the unique example of what could be in store for the NES, hopefully we'll see some more talented and enterprising programmers step forward with their offerings in-hand.

Thanks to Al Bailey for his generous and detailed information about Sudoku. Thanks also to the various forum sources: Atariage.com, NESWorld.com and DigitPress.com. This article may not, in portion or in its entirety, be copied, rehosted or quoted without the consent of the author, Dan Langevin (Dangevin@[NOSPAMREMOVE]verizon.net). Information in this article is correct to the knowledge of the author as of 5/17/07.

NintendoAGE users please feel free to discuss this article in this thread!

-------------------------

May 17, 2007 at 4:06:48 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
I have known about this project for a while now and I have to say I am extremely excited about it, probably more so than almost any other project I have seen lately minus the inception of NintendoAGE. I truely hope Al keeps up the good work and produces several more games in the near future. I have been talking with him a great deal lately and it sounds like we have some cool projects on the horizon. I am so excited the NES is now getting a homebrew community like the Atari has had for so many years. Great job Al.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

May 17, 2007 at 4:22:55 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Can't wait to snag one at CGE

Any word on how he plans to distribute the gold copies?

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

May 17, 2007 at 4:30:21 PM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
According to his message, all of the gold cartridges are spoken for with the exception of two that will be awarded as donated "door prizes" at the two expos, and perhaps one more that will potentially be awarded in some sort of online contest, most likely held at NESWorld.

May 17, 2007 at 4:53:42 PM
Hounder (0)
(David Pendergast) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
I too would love a gold copy and would pay nice money for one. But a complete copy would suit me just fine

Hi, my name is David Pendergast, aka:

Jesse Jones
Philip Varney

I scammed people on NintendoAge a while back. Since then, I've been unwelcome. Do not do business with me!

May 17, 2007 at 5:09:51 PM
burdger (152)
(Ross Burdge) < Bowser >
Ohio
Where is this show in Ohio? I would really love to get there.

May 17, 2007 at 5:10:20 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
For sure, I was just curious what my chances of snagging a gold would be The regular numbered one will do me fine Gonna have to get a copy of the next run though, kinda want to get the expanded version as well

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

May 17, 2007 at 5:12:40 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
I was all set to pick one up at CGE until I read about his planned v2.0 with music and other upgrades. Since I buy homebrews/repros/pirates for play purposes rather than for the sake of collecting them, I guess I'll just have to wait for the souped up polished release to come out.

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

May 17, 2007 at 5:27:07 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Sweet! That means I'll be the only person in town with a numbered copy

May 17, 2007 at 9:33:52 PM
mb7241 (183)
(Matt B.) < Bowser >
Tennessee
I've been wanting Sudoku since it was announced at Digital Press.  I'd really like to get both a gold and a standard cartridge, and as some of you others who have expressed interest, I'd pay a pretty premium beyond that $25 to get a regular one (and I'll be the first to say I'd pay triple-digits for a gold one)...

Answering any and all questions related to video game collecting.  Guaranteed true and honest answers from a man with nearly 20 years in the community.  Prices for these answers vary depending on the question.  For all inquiries, please PM me.

May 17, 2007 at 11:19:35 PM
burnambill333 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Nicholas Morgan) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
This is an awesome project, my praise goes out to Albailey for having the patience to learn assembly, write the game, and make a production run of it. I'd love to have a copy of this, and I'd be perfectly content with a numbered grey one.

Unfortunately none of those conventions are anywhere near my area. Is there any other way I can get my hands on a copy without having to attend one of the conventions? Is anybody here attending any of the conventions and planning to get the game?

I'll be watching Sudoku closely.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Edited: 05/17/2007 at 11:23 PM by burnambill333

May 18, 2007 at 12:22:20 AM
burdger (152)
(Ross Burdge) < Bowser >
Ohio
Can anyone tell me where this event in Ohio is?

May 18, 2007 at 12:50:33 AM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
Just google the acronym and date. I'll save you the trouble this time.

http://www.ccagshow.com/

May 18, 2007 at 5:19:33 AM
jaredkk (57)
(Jared Klinger) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
I was looking at the pictures from last years show in Ohio.  It looked kinda small, in a firehouse, I think, but there was a ton of great boxed NES accessories I would love to have.

May 18, 2007 at 6:10:44 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Originally posted by: burnambill333

This is an awesome project, my praise goes out to Albailey for having the patience to learn assembly, write the game, and make a production run of it. I'd love to have a copy of this, and I'd be perfectly content with a numbered grey one.

Unfortunately none of those conventions are anywhere near my area. Is there any other way I can get my hands on a copy without having to attend one of the conventions? Is anybody here attending any of the conventions and planning to get the game?

Nick, I'll be at CGE. I'll see if I can pick one up for you (if there's a "1 per" limit or something, I'll get Dr. Morbis to grab one for you (since he said he doesn't want a numbered one), and I'll send it to you at cost + shipping (also at cost). You've helped me out with some boxes and crap, and you've been nothing but good to me since we started dealing. It's the least I can do. Well, the least I could do is absolutely nothing, but you get the idea

May 18, 2007 at 12:54:44 PM
burdger (152)
(Ross Burdge) < Bowser >
Ohio
I'm there. I just have to switch shifts with someone at work. It's only 40 minutes away from me. Anyone else going to be at the Ohio convention?

May 18, 2007 at 3:01:56 PM
burnambill333 (0)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

Originally posted by: burnambill333

Nick, I'll be at CGE. I'll see if I can pick one up for you (if there's a "1 per" limit or something, I'll get Dr. Morbis to grab one for you (since he said he doesn't want a numbered one), and I'll send it to you at cost + shipping (also at cost). You've helped me out with some boxes and crap, and you've been nothing but good to me since we started dealing. It's the least I can do. Well, the least I could do is absolutely nothing, but you get the idea

Sweet, thank you very much, Wizard. That would be much appreciated if you could pick one up for me.
You rock, man.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

May 18, 2007 at 6:41:12 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
I just got mine today in the mail. I am amazed at the quality. He only done 2 over the internet so far, one to me and one to I think Gundam. I got 23 out of 100. Very fucking cool.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

May 18, 2007 at 7:38:19 PM
burnambill333 (0)
New Jersey
He sent you one in the mail? How'd you score that?

May 18, 2007 at 10:56:35 PM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
correction: for some reason I was thinking Sunday Funday when I wrote the header for the article, and when I proofread I was thinking Sunday Funday, but for some reason the words Menace Beach were what my fingers put Same game anyways lol

/fixed

May 21, 2007 at 3:09:09 PM
fleshnugget (11)
(john jackson) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
i would like one of these too! would/could anyone pick one up for me? i would pay for whatever charges it would take

May 21, 2007 at 11:43:38 PM
Sivak (44)
(Sivak -) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio
Hrm.  I'm in the state and that seems to be a convention I might enjoy, but that would be a big drive..  Why can't they hold it in the northwest? 

Ah well.

My website: Here

Battle Kid 2 demo videos: Playlist
Battle Kid demo videos: Playlist

Check out my current: Want list
Check out my current: Extras list

May 28, 2007 at 12:53:01 AM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
We have another Gold edition winner, after this past weekend's show. In his words:

http://www.nesworld.com/cgi-bi...?num=1174930934/48#48

Gentlemen, make your offers

May 28, 2007 at 1:00:20 PM
burdger (152)
(Ross Burdge) < Bowser >
Ohio
If that guy sells, I'm going to be so pissed off. I was there right after he won and offered to buy it. At the show they drew little tickets out of a plastic cup. There was maybe 75 tickets in there, 30 were mine, 33 were his, and the rest were just random people that threw tickets into whatever cup. I was so happy when they were about to draw another ticket, and at the VERY last second he came running up and killed my dream!

May 30, 2007 at 8:10:33 PM
jcheatle (41)
(Jesse Cheatle) < Tourian Tourist >
Pennsylvania
Hey everybody, I saw Burdger's post over at NES World and figured I'd sign up and stop in for a minute.

Burdger, FWIW, you indeed were the first to offer to purchase Sudoku Gold from me, and I'd take that into account now knowing where to find you. I've also received several letters of inquiry from others already.

That being said, I'll repeat what I told them: I'm hanging onto it for now and the forseeable future. It's not about holding on for the highest bid, but rather... I can always earn money, I can always obtain games for my NES set (yes, even Stadium Events and the Panesians come down the line every blue moon), but to me, this is something I will NEVER have the opportunity to get back. Add to that the sentimental value of the trip and all, and I'm not likely to sell it, period. You never know, but it'd have to be a substantial offer, for better or worse.

Oh, and Burdger, I apologize for the last-second thing. What can I say? I'm an idiot. And I only had 18 tickets in there.