Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join
Jul 27 at 3:42:27 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: LutherDestroysTheGond

Got the family up early for garage sales key wife and daughter hate it but there were tons today). Hit up the first one and hit a nice Atari 7800 lot for $15. Cool. Went to the next sale as they were setting up. I chatted the lady and eventually asked if she had any old video games. She goes in her house for a bit and comes out with 2 bankers boxes packed full of NES/SNES/Genesis games and hardware. I ask her how much for it all. We go back and forth and she eventually says $50. I said I have $15 left, I'll wait here and my wife will run to the ATM.

Then, some dude who I thought was setting up tapped the lady on the shoulder. He said "Here's $50. That's a no-brainer " I'm dumbfounded. I say that my wife just has to run to the bank at the end of the block and it'llyake less than 5 minutes. Dude says "Can't go to a sale with only $10. Not my fucking fault you weren't prepared". The lady is just happy to have the cash. I'm livid. My wife gets me to get in the car before I put my hands on this guy.

I'm still heated. This motherfucker was wasting his time buying old Babysitters Club books. I chatted the lady and got her to get the stuff out. I negotiated the price and because he had more cash at that instant and the lady had no integrity, I woke up early for nothing.

Notable games that i missed out on:

RC Pro AM 2
Adventure Island 1-3
Zelda 1 5-screw
Zelda 2
Link to the Past
Secret of Mana
Super Mario Bros 1-3
DK Country 1-3
NES Console
SNES Console
Genesis Model 3
About 40 other loose carts that I didnt get a good look at but were mostly commons iirc

So....what did you learn today?

While the lady really should have held that for you for a few minutes (most people would have for at least a couple minutes, I'll even give people at shows 15 minutes to get to an ATM), you really should have had a couple hundred stashed on your person in case of finds just like this one.   Worst case just re-deposit the cash at the end of the day.

But I also would have had a hard time not knocking that box out of the guys hand as I walked away.

Jul 27 at 4:09:58 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

Originally posted by: Gloves

Well I mean... Why are you out going to garage sales with basically no cash at all?

Started with $30. Got the Atari lot at a house that was close to me. Was planning on getting more at the ATM after this sale because our bank is at the end of that lady's block and we would drive past her house to get there anyway. When we mapped out the sales this morning that was our plan

Fair enough!

-------------------------

Jul 27 at 4:19:11 PM
LutherDestroysTheGond (85)
(Grumble Grumble) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Got the family up early for garage sales key wife and daughter hate it but there were tons today). Hit up the first one and hit a nice Atari 7800 lot for $15. Cool. Went to the next sale as they were setting up. I chatted the lady and eventually asked if she had any old video games. She goes in her house for a bit and comes out with 2 bankers boxes packed full of NES/SNES/Genesis games and hardware. I ask her how much for it all. We go back and forth and she eventually says $50. I said I have $15 left, I'll wait here and my wife will run to the ATM.

Then, some dude who I thought was setting up tapped the lady on the shoulder. He said "Here's $50. That's a no-brainer " I'm dumbfounded. I say that my wife just has to run to the bank at the end of the block and it'llyake less than 5 minutes. Dude says "Can't go to a sale with only $10. Not my fucking fault you weren't prepared". The lady is just happy to have the cash. I'm livid. My wife gets me to get in the car before I put my hands on this guy.

I'm still heated. This motherfucker was wasting his time buying old Babysitters Club books. I chatted the lady and got her to get the stuff out. I negotiated the price and because he had more cash at that instant and the lady had no integrity, I woke up early for nothing.

Notable games that i missed out on:

RC Pro AM 2
Adventure Island 1-3
Zelda 1 5-screw
Zelda 2
Link to the Past
Secret of Mana
Super Mario Bros 1-3
DK Country 1-3
NES Console
SNES Console
Genesis Model 3
About 40 other loose carts that I didnt get a good look at but were mostly commons iirc

So....what did you learn today?

While the lady really should have held that for you for a few minutes (most people would have for at least a couple minutes, I'll even give people at shows 15 minutes to get to an ATM), you really should have had a couple hundred stashed on your person in case of finds just like this one.   Worst case just re-deposit the cash at the end of the day.

But I also would have had a hard time not knocking that box out of the guys hand as I walked away.

Yeah I showed a lot of restraint just walking away. We were planning on getting cash right after this sale because there were about 20 more sales we were going to hit up today. Lesson learned I guess but I traditionally like to have at least $100 on me for saling but it's been so barren the last 4+ years I didnt make it a priority. Usually I'll get an unimpressive handful of Wii or N64 games for trade in at the local store. If I even find anything at all, most days are goose eggs.

Today I ended up with an Atari 7800 lot, a Gamecube lot, a stack of Wii games, and a DS game for $35 total when the day was all said and done. Could've been my best find in 2 years if that lady would have waited 2 minutes.

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

Jul 27 at 10:53:59 PM
mydogsrule (165)

(Jonathan Smith) < Kraid Killer >
Tennessee
I'm glad I wasn't you. I would have lost it due to his mouth more than him buying the games. Anyway, the woman makes zero sense. She just agreed with you and knew your wife was going up the street to get money only to sell them before you wife was even able to leave. Wow! Good for you staying calm!  

Edited: 07/27/2019 at 10:55 PM by mydogsrule

Aug 31 at 1:33:42 AM
MiamiSlice (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
New Jersey
I think about this one almost daily: https://merc.li/y6bU3Zb...

I check Mercari pretty often. Unfortunately I wasn't checking when this was listed. I still don't have Klonoa for PS1.

Aug 31 at 1:42:40 AM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: MiamiSlice

I think about this one almost daily: https://merc.li/y6bU3Zb

I check Mercari pretty often. Unfortunately I wasn't checking when this was listed. I still don't have Klonoa for PS1.

Damn, that was somewhat recent. Never heard of Mercari personally.

Sep 10 at 4:27:57 AM
Fryer64 (45)
(Ryley C) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Got a concussion in a car accident a week or so back and apparently went on a spending spree. Blew through well over a grand on random things. Woke up the next day after the accident for example and found a brand new Nintendo switch on the upstairs couch. Asked my roommate why he bought another switch and he told me I had actually bought it for myself and "Had lots of fun games in mind".

No hate for the switch but it's not my sort of console. I had opened the physical box but never got the dang thing out. Might keep it for the new Pokemon game but in all honesty that thing is going to just sit there forever.

I also left a positive review on a rival game store that has done awful things to a good friends game store and the person went to jail for stealing 50k+ merchandise from my friend. I should also mention I work part time for fun to help out at my friends store. I saw that review a few days later and felt horrible about it

Didn't miss out on any sweet deals or anything, just made alot of stupid mistakes lately  

Sep 17 at 1:25:08 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
I found NES and SNES games at the thrift store for the first time in probably 10 years!

Only $15.20 each...

Sep 17 at 1:35:18 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: gunpei

I found NES and SNES games at the thrift store for the first time in probably 10 years!

Only $15.20 each...

It wouldn't suprise me if they sell them either.  I think that, sometimes, when a pawn shop gets a set of games they typically tend to not often have, they can slap an over-priced number and possibly catch that person who wouldn't even walk into the used game store just 2-3 miles away.  But, they see a few commons they had as a kid and are motivated to buy them and then see if they can hunt down their old NES to play the new cassettes.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Sep 17 at 2:24:22 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
I agree. They probably will move and I bet it doesn't take very long, either. But I decided not to be that sucker today.

Sep 17 at 6:02:14 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Yep, will definitely sell. It's wild what people will pay. And the fact that they pay keeps the thrift stores a'gouging. Plus if they do sit, they'll either get marked down or scooped up on a discount day.

Still, even for $15.20, I'd have been happy to just see them. Most Goodwill locations in my area ship gaming-related stuff right off to the auction house or post on ebay. Ditto for smaller thrift stores. I don't blame them, but it sucks as someone who checks in regularly.

Sep 17 at 8:53:53 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
It is wild. And this is Chicago, big city so somebody will be excited to get them. It’s not even really gouging if the market supports it, right?

It was kind of nice to see them I agree with you there. Maybe someday I’ll find a heavy hitter there (yeah right). At the other thrift store I hit regularly, coupla months ago I saw a ColecoVision with (some?all??) cables for $50. In hindsight I wish I had bought it, or at least tried to test it, but I don’t know hardly anything  about that console. And I think there weren’t any games with it. So that would be tough. In any case, it’s not there any more. I hope it works and the buyer is happy. 

Sep 17 at 11:19:07 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: gunpei

Only $15.20 each...
$15.20 isn't bad for Tecmo Super Bowl. The others, not so much.

Sep 17 at 11:35:24 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Also, whenever I see a pile of almost exclusively $2 games I can't help but wonder what I could have missed by minutes...

Oct 07 at 1:09:27 PM
Michigan
The local Goodwill that has given me some great finds over the last 2 years got a new manager last month. A stack of OG Xbox and Gamecube games came in today all priced at or above pricecharting. He saw me looking through them and prided himself at looking up prices online. I told that I don't go to thrift stores to get gouged, I go there because I'm on a budget.

Oh well. The wife and I bought a house recently and we'll be moving far away in less than a month. I should be thankful that everything was priced so cheaply for the 2 years I lived in this podunk town but it sucks to see 1 less spot for viable gaming finds whenever I'm back in the area

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

Oct 07 at 1:11:35 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

The local Goodwill that has given me some great finds over the last 2 years got a new manager last month. A stack of OG Xbox and Gamecube games came in today all priced at or above pricecharting. He saw me looking through them and prided himself at looking up prices online. I told that I don't go to thrift stores to get gouged, I go there because I'm on a budget.

Oh well. The wife and I bought a house recently and we'll be moving far away in less than a month. I should be thankful that everything was priced so cheaply for the 2 years I lived in this podunk town but it sucks to see 1 less spot for viable gaming finds whenever I'm back in the area

Damn, that sucks to hear man. It's not like they do that shit on any other items either; shirt - $5, pants - $8, DVD - $3-5, etc.. But this fuckin *genius* knows PC exists so now he can maximize profit! Asshole.

Oct 07 at 1:30:52 PM
Michigan

Damn, that sucks to hear man. It's not like they do that shit on any other items either; shirt - $5, pants - $8, DVD - $3-5, etc.. But this fuckin *genius* knows PC exists so now he can maximize profit! Asshole.

"Hey, you shop here all the time for clothes for your kid and for video games, and you're used to paying $2-$4 each for games, but I have great news! I learned how to look up video game prices and priced them according to the highest prices I saw on ebay. Now, that copy of Conkers Live and Reloaded is $35 instead of $4. Aren't I great?!?"

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

Oct 07 at 1:41:48 PM
CaLan87 (5)
(Cody ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas

"Hey, you shop here all the time for clothes for your kid and for video games, and you're used to paying $2-$4 each for games, but I have great news! I learned how to look up video game prices and priced them according to the highest prices I saw on ebay. Now, that copy of Conkers Live and Reloaded is $35 instead of $4. Aren't I great?!?"

Wonder how long these "great" prices will be sitting at this location since its not a damn game store. Crazy to think that dude really thinks he'll sell stuff at those prices at a thrift store.  

*** Check out my WTB thread!! ***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Oct 08 at 9:19:51 AM
Scerena4 (65)
(Kyle Scerena) < El Ripper >
Illinois
Originally posted by: CaLan87

Wonder how long these "great" prices will be sitting at this location since its not a damn game store. Crazy to think that dude really thinks he'll sell stuff at those prices at a thrift store.  
I mean goodwill is in the business of making money to pay their employees and run their programs. I don’t see why people think just because its goodwill they should price everything they get for pennies. It doesn’t really make sense from a business standpoint. Hell they have their own electronics/video game stores now called the Grid.

Oct 08 at 9:09:36 PM
Michigan
Originally posted by: Scerena4

Originally posted by: CaLan87

I mean goodwill is in the business of making money to pay their employees and run their programs. I don't see why people think just because its goodwill they should price everything they get for pennies. It doesn't really make sense from a business standpoint. Hell they have their own electronics/video game stores now called the Grid.

Then they can sell it in their game store. They don't do returns on media at this location. Nothing is tested. I am not paying above full retail for anything at a thrift store, especially if there are no assurances included. I get that it's a business but their model of simply throwing away the garbage people donate and pushing everything else out on the floor to sell ASAP doesn't involve anymore legwork than looking up the highest prices on ebay. That's it. Those games will sit there forever and rot in their glass case. If you want me to take a gamble on the stuff you think is worth money then help mitigate my risk by either accepting returns, testing electronics/games, and/or lowering the prices to usual thrift store prices

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can