Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Gold Star 3DO Disk Read Problems

Apr 21 at 6:26:13 PM
GunNac (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Virginia
OK, so I found a GoldStar at a thrift store today (no controller unfortunitely).  It has working video and sound and I have gotten it to load a game.  The issue is that when I first tried it, it took about 45 seconds to load the game.  After a while I turned it on to try it again in order to see if it would load faster after warming up a bit and it didn't even try to read the disk.  It didn't make the "searching" noise, just spat the disk back out.  I retried a few times and gave up.  Later still, I let it sit at the system screen for about 5 minutes before trying the disk and it loaded (again, about 45 seconds to a minute).  The only thing I did differently was wiggle the closed tray a bit to make sure it was securely closed.

So anyway, I figure this is probably a failing disk drive but I read it could also be caps, the internal disc tray button (that tells the system the door is closed) or a number of other issues.  I also heard that letting it warm up helps.  I'm not sure exactly why, maybe it has to do with getting power circulating (like with failing but still viable caps) or something?

Does anyone have experience with the GoldStar 3DO to help shed some light on this issue?