NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Unsupported Mode" when attempting to connect SNES to Vizio tv

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:32:03 PM
WonderWeasel82 (0)
(Jordan ) < Little Mac >
Kansas
Hi all--

I recently broke my SNES out, and attempted to hook it up to my Vizio using the RCA cables that I have my N64 hooked up to the same TV with, but am getting an "Unsupported Mode" error when I power it on (the 64 displays just fine on the TV with the same cables). Also, I've tried it with both the original SNES and the SNS-101 "junior". The original model works with an RF adapter, so it's not a huge deal, but there's a bit of noise/interference that comes through with the RF cable, so I'd prefer to use the RCA cables. Thanks for any and all help!

--Jordan

-------------------------
It don't mean butt if it ain't got that jut!

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:20:45 PM
Slipstreamed (17)
< Eggplant Wizard >
North Carolina
Hmmm I have a vizio, lemme go test

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:34:02 PM
Slipstreamed (17)
< Eggplant Wizard >
North Carolina
Plugged mine into AV and it worked fine. Since the N64 in the SNES have the same video output have you tried just switching Consoles leaving all the hook ups  in place?

Edited: 06/08/2014 at 01:35 PM by Slipstreamed

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:51:19 PM
mkiker2089 (17)
(Marshall Kiker) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina
This is a tough one because unsupported mode would mean the video is in a format the TV can't handle. Most game consoles use 240p and most TVs accept it. Do you have a NES or Genesis to hook up?

However Vizio may use that warning in a more generic sense so we can't really be sure.

What does the Snes jr do? Does it work with RF or not at all? Same error?

Jun 8, 2014 at 5:56:29 PM
WonderWeasel82 (0)
(Jordan ) < Little Mac >
Kansas
Originally posted by: Slipstreamed

Plugged mine into AV and it worked fine. Since the N64 in the SNES have the same video output have you tried just switching Consoles leaving all the hook ups  in place?
Yup, I left the AV cables hooked up and tried them on both of my SNES models... no dice.

mkiker:
I don't have a Genesis... Can an NES be hooked up with RCA cables? I thought there were only outlets for the audio on those. 

My Jr. SNES only has a multi-out on it, no outlet for an RF adapter. When I hook it up with the RCA cables, I get the same unsupported mode error as with my original SNES.

Edited: 06/08/2014 at 05:57 PM by WonderWeasel82

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:09:49 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Try cycling through the inputs after the SNES is on. Sometimes the TV will need to reload that input if the signal changes (N64 to SNES)

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:28:39 AM
WonderWeasel82 (0)
(Jordan ) < Little Mac >
Kansas
Originally posted by: Mog

Try cycling through the inputs after the SNES is on. Sometimes the TV will need to reload that input if the signal changes (N64 to SNES)

I just got home and tried it with both the original and jr... no luck. I'm starting to think that this TV just doesn't support the SNES resolution, but I can't find anything in the owner's manual or online that lists this model's compatible resolutions!

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:44:55 AM
mickcris (10)
< Meka Chicken >
Texas
what is the model number of the TV?

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:06:20 AM
theclaw (78)
(Lum Fan) < Lolo Lord >
Washington
As they say when you rule out the possible... It could be that TV supports SNES video from RF but not composite.

This is a signature-tcha!

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:14:00 AM
mickcris (10)
< Meka Chicken >
Texas
Also, have you tried multiple carts or just one?

Jun 9, 2014 at 5:04:56 AM
WonderWeasel82 (0)
(Jordan ) < Little Mac >
Kansas
Bubbles er... mickcris: The TV model# is E320-B0E, and yes, I've tried ActRaiser, Super Mario World, and Final Fantasy II.

theclaw: I'm about 99.9% sure that's what the problem is. I found an off-brand multi-out-to-coaxial cable for the SNES/64 at my local game store yesterday, and both systems work fine with it, so I know there's nothing wrong with the video output through the multi-out on the SNES (although it picks up the same bit of noise as the normal RF cable.) I guess I'm just going to have to deal with the noise, or hit craigslist for a free CRT TV lol.

Jun 9, 2014 at 5:38:14 AM
mickcris (10)
< Meka Chicken >
Texas
that tv is odd. i haven't bought a new lcd in a while so maybe that is the new way they do things, but ive never seen one that shared rca jacks between component and composite. maybe that's why there is a problem (i have read some tvs have issues with 240p over component)? I assume you are putting the yellow composite into the green (y) component jack. I assume it should work as it says it works with signals up to 480i which would imply it works with 240p also.

I see there is also a firmware update on the tv webpage. Are you on the latest firmware? You could try to update.

You could also get something like this so you can plug into the hdmi port if nothing else works and you dont want to use RF:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?...

Edited: 06/09/2014 at 05:56 AM by mickcris

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:45:40 AM
mkiker2089 (17)
North Carolina
Most new TVs share one analog input.

The N64 and SNES are the same resolution so it shouldn't be the TV. The odds of having two SNES which don't work is low though. You said you tried a different cable and it still didn't work.

Jun 9, 2014 at 12:48:24 PM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: WonderWeasel82

Originally posted by: Slipstreamed

mkiker:
I don't have a Genesis... Can an NES be hooked up with RCA cables? I thought there were only outlets for the audio on those. 

The RCA jacks on the side of the toaster NES is for video and mono audio. I think you might find the TV unable to display composite video from a NES or Gensis either. IIRC those systems don't conform to H-sync specs. Most TVs can handle it fine through RF or composite, but your TV might be a special case.

I have an external video processor that can handle PS1/N64 240p video fine, but is unable to properly display 240p video from my NES/SNES/Genesis. The image comes out partially distorted.

My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:03:28 PM
Shinju (53)
(Nintendo Collector) < Ridley Wrangler >
Washington
Are you running s-video? SNES Jr doesn't support S-video if so.

Jun 9, 2014 at 8:17:05 PM
WonderWeasel82 (0)
(Jordan ) < Little Mac >
Kansas
mickcris: I haven't done a firmware update since I got the TV, and this TV doesn't have WiFi or an Ethernet port, so I'd bet that it has the outdated firmware version. I'll update it when I get home tonight, and see if that fixes it. And yes, yellow RCA into the green component

mkiker: When I hook the 64 up, the TV says the resolution mode is 480. I've only tried one game (Star Wars: Rogue Squadron), but does the 64 have games that run in 480?

I've tried both SNES models with two different multi-out RCA cables, and neither worked, though both cables worked with my 64. However, the original SNES model works fine with the RF adapter, and both my original and Jr. models work with my multi-out-to-coaxial adapter, so I know the multi-out ports on both systems work.

teh lurv: LOL I always thought those were for running audio to a stereo receiver! Haha I guess I was half-right. I'll hook the NES up with RCAs tonight and see what happens.

Edited: 06/09/2014 at 08:20 PM by WonderWeasel82

Jun 9, 2014 at 8:18:05 PM
WonderWeasel82 (0)
(Jordan ) < Little Mac >
Kansas
Shinju: nope, not running s-video

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:22:22 PM
mkiker2089 (17)
North Carolina
The TV says 480i but really it's 240p in some strange way. Some 64 games run in 480 but those are few. If it's really a TV issue then very few n64 games should run.

This is from Wikipedia

----------

The Nintendo 64 supports 16.8 million colors.[citation needed] The system can display resolutions of 256 × 224, 320 × 240 and 640 × 480 pixels. Few games made use of the 640 × 480 mode, many of them required use of the Expansion Pak RAM upgrade. The vast majority of games instead used the system's low resolution 256 × 224 (256 × 240 for PAL models) mode. A number of games also support a video display ratio of up to 16:9 using either Anamorphic widescreen or Letterboxing. However, very few of its games provided options to use this feature.[citation needed]

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:38:47 PM
WonderWeasel82 (0)
(Jordan ) < Little Mac >
Kansas
Thanks for the info, Marshall! I thought that seemed weird. I hope the firmware update corrects the problem, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm thinking I'll just have to deal with the bit of noise from using the RF switch.

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:02:56 PM
mickcris (10)
< Meka Chicken >
Texas
You can still get a convertor, like the one I posted above from monoprice. You can find cheaper ones on ebay or amazon too that don't have s-video input like this: http://www.amazon.com/Tmvel-HDMI2...

Sucks you would have to spend some extra money, but the picture should be better.

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:04:43 PM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
Rogue Squadron outputs 480i if you have the expansion pak installed. But mkiker is right, pretty much all modern HDTVs treat 240p as 480i. 240p was banned as a broadcast format years ago, so TV manufacturers have no incentive to design their TVs to recognize and properly display that format.

My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:12:58 PM
mkiker2089 (17)
North Carolina
So perhaps his TV won't work with other N64 games then? Perhaps we are getting somewhere. Not owning a 64 I had no idea.

If the SNES doesn't work than anything from Atari 2600 up through the Genesis won't work.

Getting a converter would be nice anyway assuming you are going to be into classic gaming for a while. I imagine soon enough we'll all need one anyway.

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:10:34 AM
WonderWeasel82 (0)
(Jordan ) < Little Mac >
Kansas
Well, it just got a bit more interesting lol.

I did the firmware upgrade, then tried hooking my NES up with RCA cables and got the "Unsupported Mode" error. Next came the N64 hooked up with RCAs. For some reason, I decided to try a few games (6 in total), and every one of them properly displayed... except for 'Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire'. I got the "Unsupported Mode" error with that game for some reason, even though every other N64 game worked. Finally, I hooked up the SNES, and got the same "Unsupported Mode" error as before.

mickcris: Do you think an RF modulator would do the trick, or would the picture be negatively affected running through it?

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:29:42 AM
mickcris (10)
< Meka Chicken >
Texas
An rf modulator would work probably but it's the worst connection that there is. Composite is a bit better and svideo is even better. How you want to proceed is up to you depending on how much you care about image quality. It looks like Vizio cheaped out on their analog inputs.  Different games have different resolutions is why some of your games are not going to work through composite on that tv

Edited: 06/10/2014 at 02:30 AM by mickcris

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:44:37 AM
WonderWeasel82 (0)
(Jordan ) < Little Mac >
Kansas
Originally posted by: mickcris

An rf modulator would work probably but it's the worst connection that there is. Composite is a bit better and svideo is even better. How you want to proceed is up to you depending on how much you care about image quality. It looks like Vizio cheaped out on their analog inputs.  Different games have different resolutions is why some of your games are not going to work through composite on that tv

I think, for now, I'm just going to stick with the RF/Coaxial hookup. The picture isn't that bad, and after toying with the wires so much, I'm pretty sure the digital "noise" I'm getting is because of my cheap NES RF switch. I'll probably head up to Vintage Stock and shell out the $4 to get a Nintendo brand one. 

When I have some free time, I'll start perusing the free listings on Craigslist and hopefully find one of the early tube HDTVs, like one of those giant Sony Trinitrons. I know the SNES works on those for a fact, and it would make a great retro gaming TV.

Again, thank you mickcris, mkiker, and everyone else that helped me out with this problem!

Edited: 06/10/2014 at 04:47 AM by WonderWeasel82