Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

ReproPak MMC1 now available

Jul 11, 2007 at 9:05:41 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
My next board for building homebrews and repros is now done! The ReproPak MMC1 (available at www.retrousb.com) will handle any standard MMC1 game, including the extended variants used by DW3, DW4, and FF1+2. You can select CHR RAM, CHR ROM, WRAM, battery backup. Use either flash or eproms for both PRG ROM and CHR ROM. The MMC1 CPLD is already soldered on the board so you just need to add the DIP chips. No rewiring needed!

BTW No there will not be an MMC3 board. The logic is just too big to fit on a cheap CPLD. It would be $20+ which is just too expensive.

Edited: 07/11/2007 at 09:12 PM by bunnyboy

Jul 12, 2007 at 11:37:41 AM
albailey (55)
(Al Bailey) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
Hi Brian,
 Maybe this info is in the manual (the URL links are not working for me), but I have a couple of questions. 

1) Where does the battery fit?  Are you expecting a battery holder?
2) In which cases are resisters, diodes, capacitors needed.  I see there are indicators for them on the board(s), but I'm used to using donors and so I always just used what was there.
3) Is the NTSC setting for the CICLONE a lockout to prevent the CICLONE from cycling through the regions?

I'll likely be asking Jumpman to purchase for me a few boards at CGE.  I'm assuming you are bringing just about everything there

Al

Al

-------------------------

My Gameboy collection  97% complete.          My N64 collection   88% complete

My Gamecube collection  99% complete        My NES collection   97% complete

Jul 12, 2007 at 12:22:51 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
1. Battery goes on the backside, you can see it just peeking out the top in the completed pict. There is a holder (digikey part #BK-883-CT-ND) so you can swap batteries easy. You can also just solder wires to the battery pads if you don't want to use the holder. Holder/diodes/cap/resistor are included with the battery package on that page.

2. There is one 0.1uF cap per chip (included when I send out memory chips now). The other spaces for diodes/resistors are only needed if you are adding the battery.

3. Yes it is for NTSC only, not sure why anyone would want it tho. Once the Ciclone finds the NTSC mode it will stay there until some error occurs anyways. Guess it would be useful if you know your game will fail with PAL timing.

I will have lots of stuff at CGE so the booth will be confusing! NES/SNES USB/Wii adapters, Sudoku 2007, NWC, all the parts, and a very slight chance that the next batch of PowerPaks will be there too...

Jul 12, 2007 at 1:15:45 PM
albailey (55)
(Al Bailey) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
Thanks.

As an FYI ffor people interested in making repros, AFAIK, these are some of the unreleased/fan translated games that are MMC1. I'm sure theres a ton of others.

I think the 62256 SRAM can be used where the 8K WRAM is indicated.

SLROM (no Battery or RAM chips)
- Bashi Bazook (128K PRG)(128K CHR)
- Drac's Night Out (128K PRG)(128K CHR)
- Mini Putt (128K PRG)(128K CHR)

SKROM (uses a battery and a WRAM chip but does not use CHR RAM)
- AD&D Dragons of Flame (128K PRG)(128K CHR)(8K WRAM )(Battery)
- Taro's Quest (128K PRG)(128K CHR)(8K WRAM )(Battery)

SNROM (uses a battery and WRAM and CHR RAM)
- Cocoron (256K PRG)(CHR RAM)(8K WRAM)(Battery)
- Final Fantasy 2 (256K PRG)(CHR RAM)(8K WRAM )(Battery)
- Glory of Heracles 2 (256K PRG)(CHR RAM)(8K WRAM )(Battery)
- Sweet Home(256K PRG)(CHR RAM)(8K WRAM )(Battery)
- Zelda Outlands(128K PRG)(CHR RAM)(8K WRAM )(Battery)

Al

-------------------------

My Gameboy collection  97% complete.          My N64 collection   88% complete

My Gamecube collection  99% complete        My NES collection   97% complete