Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Bio Force Ape found No, for real this time.

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:03:15 AM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
That sounds much nicer the second time you said it, Evan.

-------------------------

Apr 23, 2010 at 10:25:14 AM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: dangevin

That sounds much nicer the second time you said it, Evan.

Agreed. 

Apr 25, 2010 at 11:57:11 AM
skaar (4)
(Shamus Bowker) < Cherub >
British Columbia
Pot, meet kettle.

DUR BUTTER FOREVER.

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:10:15 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: skaar

Pot, meet kettle.

DUR BUTTER FOREVER.

The premise behind Dur Butter was the complete opposite of what actually transpired.  When the myth began it was a hoax that lead a bunch of buttery collectors to send desperate PMs to the "owner" of an unreleased prototype.  Others begged and pleaded for a free rom dump.

When the prototype was actually found there was very little of that.  The rom was found by a well known prototype collector, everyone rejoiced and sung his praises, and the rom will be publicly released without a community funded dumped.

Unfortunately some people can't let the butter die.  They desperate look for an argument so they can can continue to fight the good fight.  It's kind of sad when you think about it.  Most of those that continue to bicker (mainly through passive aggressive forum post) have moved beyond  adulthood and are riding the cusp of middle aged.

And someone questioned my priorities Mr. Skaar?

Again, if you read through the thread it's riddled with praise and excitement.  It came to a screeching halt when your butt-buddy desperately looked for an argument wasn't there.  Quick!  Call in the reserves! 

This thread is about a joke that's going on five years old:
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/s...

The thread that you're currently viewing focuses on the discovery of an unreleased prototype.  Let's keep it that way.

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:44:56 PM
skaar (4)
(Shamus Bowker) < Cherub >
British Columbia
Actually I just went looking when someone said you were being a jerk to Evan on two forums, and took a lucky guess it was this one

Seriously, butt-buddy?

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:56:05 PM
ProgrammingAce (2)

(Programming Ace) < Crack Trooper >
United States
Originally posted by: BeaglePus

The premise behind Dur Butter was the complete opposite of what actually transpired.  When the myth began it was a hoax that lead a bunch of buttery collectors to send desperate PMs to the "owner" of an unreleased prototype.  Others begged and pleaded for a free rom dump.

The best part is, you still have no idea what that thread, or even the butter monster was really about. And that's what makes it awesome, even 5 years later. Do you ever take a step back and look at what you're saying?

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:57:46 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: skaar

Actually I just went looking when someone said you were being a jerk to Evan on two forums, and took a lucky guess it was this one

Seriously, butt-buddy?

Butt-buddy, ass-hat, what's the difference?   

Remember: pot and kettle.  And don't act like my use of butt-buddy didn't at least make you chuckle.

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:58:24 PM
NESHomebrew (21)
(Brad Bateman - Strange Brew Games) < King Solomon >
Saskatchewan
Well, I finally found the videos, and have to say that I am quite impressed. The scrolling is incredible, and the music is pretty good. I love the fast paced sonic style gameplay (the teleport sound effect actually reminds me of the gamegear sonic game). Overall, I can't wait for them to release the rom dump, so I can suplex a kangaroo-face-crotch-man, or punch a break-dancer in the face.

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:58:41 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: ProgrammingAce

Originally posted by: BeaglePus

The best part is, you still have no idea what that thread, or even the butter monster was really about. And that's what makes it awesome, even 5 years later. Do you ever take a step back and look at what you're saying?

Can you mod my Xbox?

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:02:42 PM
ProgrammingAce (2)

United States
Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

Can you mod my Xbox?

Ooh, burn...

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:14:21 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts

Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

Can you mod my Xbox?

Ooh, burn...

Meh, I thought it was somewhat funny. 

Congrats are in order.  The desperate attempt to derail this thread and turn it into a pointless debate has come to fruition!

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:09:51 PM
Zoso471 (13)
(--Anthony --) < El Ripper >
Ontario
can anyone link to a video of the live stream that happened?

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:41:25 PM
KidOrrorin (25)
(Frankie Wenzel) < Meka Chicken >
Quebec
Originally posted by: Zoso471

can anyone link to a video of the live stream that happened?

Here's part one of four: http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/29031

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:49:12 PM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
I'm pretty impressed at it's crazy/cheesyness. The breakdancer is pretty cool.

Apr 25, 2010 at 7:46:39 PM
TheRedEye (6)
(Frank Cifaldi) < Meka Chicken >
California
Originally posted by: udisi

I'm pretty impressed at it's crazy/cheesyness. The breakdancer is pretty cool.

I know, I'm so pleased with this game. I thought it would be a really generic beat-em-up but it somehow ended up being even weirder than my wildest fantasies.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:19:42 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
So from what you have heard is that the demo was the only version made or is there a possibility of a 72 pin cartridge out there that is more complete? Very cool though and thank your for sharing.

eBay listings here

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:24:04 PM
UncleTusk (234)
(Wilfred Brimley) < King Solomon >
California
Game is pretty awesome looking. Definitely moves very fast. I like it. would love to play it.

Only Brave Souls Click on the Tusk

Short and large run boxes, manuals, maps!  Give your Uncle a call!

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:57:40 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Think I spotted a trick with the super fast scrolling. Usually that isn't possible because you can only update a few rows/columns of the screen per frame so there is a maximum speed. However it looks like their fast sections simply repeat, so the screen wraps around instead of having to update. Think old Flintstones cartoons where they just used the same loop for the background

Apr 25, 2010 at 10:03:58 PM
tepples (0)
(Damian Yerrick) < Tourian Tourist >
United States
Battletoads extends vblank time so that it can update more of VRAM in each frame. But updating two columns, two rows, and the object list is doable without having to extend the vblank time. This allows moving the camera by 16 pixels per frame, which on NTSC is nearly four screen widths per second.

Apr 25, 2010 at 10:28:30 PM
TheRedEye (6)
California
Originally posted by: qixmaster

So from what you have heard is that the demo was the only version made or is there a possibility of a 72 pin cartridge out there that is more complete? Very cool though and thank your for sharing.

We really have no way of knowing until someone from Seta comes forward, but what I can tell you for sure is that every screenshot we have - including the ones in the Japanese advertisement - can be reproduced in this demo.

I don't know if the game got any further, but I think this demo is the only version that was ever seen outside of Seta. I'm guessing this is the exact demo build put together for CES, especially judging by the weird opening screen warning against videotaping. They might have worked on it more, but I don't think a more complete version was sent to the press or demonstrated, so if it existed, it probably never left the studio and is therefore very unlikely to ever be found.

Apr 25, 2010 at 10:42:46 PM
Herbalist (139)
(Bill Brasky) < King Solomon >
Wisconsin
^^
So is this game not complete?

Apr 26, 2010 at 12:23:49 AM
ProgrammingAce (2)

United States
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Think I spotted a trick with the super fast scrolling. Usually that isn't possible because you can only update a few rows/columns of the screen per frame so there is a maximum speed. However it looks like their fast sections simply repeat, so the screen wraps around instead of having to update. Think old Flintstones cartoons where they just used the same loop for the background

According to chris covell they're also turning off the ppu late to get extra render time.

Apr 26, 2010 at 12:41:47 AM
NESHomebrew (21)
(Brad Bateman - Strange Brew Games) < King Solomon >
Saskatchewan

Originally posted by: bunnyboy

According to chris covell they're also turning off the ppu late to get extra render time.
It's really to bad this didn't get released.  With a bit of polishing, this could have been a real groundbreaking game.  I'm glad I got to see this, as the demo I've been planning requires fast scrolling as well.  Thankfully, I should be able to repeat sections easily which for me is very encouraging.

Apr 26, 2010 at 12:50:06 PM
TheRedEye (6)
California
Originally posted by: Herbalist

^^
So is this game not complete?

No. The AI is obviously not there yet, it's only three levels long, and the final boss is...well, if you haven't seen the video I won't spoil the final boss for you.

May 7, 2010 at 3:21:23 AM
casperdj777 (0)

(. .) < Meka Chicken >
United States
cool ,hope this one is real,now that the remake is priceless who has the rom dump? thought there was going to be a green cart of the remake compation cart given away? still wantting the black cart pm me ! pm me about the 2 nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww......