Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

So Sealed Collectors... Do You Prefer the VGA or Wata Scale? (Poll) Not a Pro / Con of the Companies, Just Comparing the Literal Scale

Aug 25 at 9:56:04 PM
1upped (40)
(A S) < El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: ExplodedHamster

Oh, speaking of VGA, here's a SMB 2 just posted on Ebay that is a VGA 80+ and has no H seam...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/...

No grading company is perfect, but this is either a bad bad miss, or the case has been tampered with.

Agreed. Even if it is a "reseal" in which the box wasn't opened, they should have made the submitter remove the wrap or no grade. I sent in a similar game to WATA, and they graded as new, however, removed the wrap and stated as such in the label. I also own a VGA game with no cello that graded as standard but noted "no cello" on label. This one is a very big miss IMO

-------------------------
Are you clever enough to unravel the mystery of Clu Clu land?

Aug 25 at 10:36:27 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
(Fudge Tastic) < King Solomon >
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: Richardhead

Originally posted by: 1upped

Originally posted by: Richardhead

I like playing my games.

So do I, they sit right next to their sealed counterparts.

Ballin like a mofo! 
Well played sir, well played.

It’s M’AM!!!

Aug 26 at 12:44:30 AM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: ExplodedHamster

Originally posted by: Megamanfanfan

How can you honestly say to yourself that stickers shouldn't affect grading? Stickers 110% affect the grading under any and all circumstances, anything else is just your opinion which means nothing because there is strict guidelines for this stuff.

Getting mint grades shouldn't be easy, for example a card can be fresh from the pack, completely untouched and still get a grade that isn't mint because there are factors outside of your control like the way that the boarder was printed on the card....It needs to be an exact measurement all the way around from the outside edge to the boarder.

If something like that is critical to the final grade you bet your ass a sticker is going to be, it's hands down a defect, no question.

I can't even believe it's being disputed.

You lose a family member in a sticker accident or something? 

"A" family member....

It was the great sticker accident of '98.

Ontario will never forget, ever.

-------------------------
Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Sep 20 at 2:32:17 AM
YOURTURN (0)
(Philip N.) < Little Mac >
California
So I am back... Sorta. In all cases nobody remembers me so no backstory is needed. In all cases I ended up voting for VGA.

When it comes to their grading system, it is easy for me to follow:

- GOLD = Super case fresh (100) to being in a case (or a solo shipment) that might have experienced a bumpy ride (85+).
- SILVER = Near case fresh (85) to levels of moderate shelf wear (75).
- BRONZE = Heavier shelf wear (70) to what some people want their graded games to look like (10).

[NOTE: In the case of 85+ being gold is due to the fact that the item will show no signs of being put out for sale. Which makes it look case fresh. But it will also show signs of not being ideally packed, when the destination is either the retailer or VGA. Either way those submitting their games are not sending them footage of how they got said items. And that has them deduce the item was purchased before a retail store employee had the chance to do something that adds any post-case wear to the item.]

Because they grade things in this manner I feel like my submitted items were given what Doctor's would refer to as being a "full physical." I can side with the argument that the wrapping deserves its own sub-grade. But that is because if the box received a lower grade that people might notice, that will become the overall grade. And even do the opposite if it was not significant enough to mention. Just like how a Doctor will say you look great but these are the issues you need to be aware of.

Meanwhile WATA's grading system sounds more like a partial physical that has you go to a dermatologist just to make sure your skin is clear. Your skin is part of you, so why can't the wrapping be treated the same way? It's just odd that they did it that way.

Overall, I always say that the perfect grader is one with Asperger's who was trained to be the next Sherlock Holmes. And I am speaking from experience since I have Asperger's and it has totally disrupted my chance to have an ideal collection. Which is why I am starting over in both the AFA and VGA collecting game. I need a company that is both budget friendly and readily available. And both are tied to what VGA is offering before I can even set that part of my goals into motion.

Then again... I have two minor issues with VGA. But that was also my fault. And I got rid of that game because of reasons created by those who sucked the fun of owning it.

[EDIT: I should also note that price tags are also seen as a “downgrade” when it is written on, showing age-based issues, and/or removed to some degree. Otherwise it tends to be treated as part of the overall packaging.]

Edited: 09/21/2019 at 02:44 AM by YOURTURN