Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

2014 NintendoAge Weekly Contest Summer Tournament: Round 1 - Joust Round 1 ends Monday, July 14, 2014 at 11 PM NA time

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:29:57 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Question for the judges (and armchair judges):

This actually happened in one of my runs. I died right after a kill that put me at Life 0, but when I respawned it put me in the path of a bouncing egg so I ended up collecting it for points, even though I did not move off of the spawn platform. Would those egg points count? I would assume not since they were collected on Life 0, but in my case I didn't pause it in time to show my score state prior to grabbing the egg and the only way to prove otherwise would be my word.

Curious to know what everyone thinks!

-------------------------
Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Jul 10, 2014 at 5:27:19 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
^ I would play it safe and just use the score prior to the egg being collected.

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:18:20 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
I think it is just your good luck, and as long as you didn't move the points count.

Jul 10, 2014 at 8:02:14 PM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Tier 2 111,750. Still not a huge fan of this game imho but I'll see if I can improve on this one since we have some real tough competition and so far some good scores posted.

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:51:38 PM
Velinos (11)

(Noah ) < Crack Trooper >
Wisconsin
Tier 2 32,750
I think I played this once in the arcade as a kid. This game sure is tough. Maybe I'll have some time on Monday to get a better score, but either way I am honored to have been able to compete in this tournament.

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:25:20 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: Vectrex280996

SO CLOSE TO 180K!!!

Seriously, I almost got an extra life. If I did, I could have gone to the 200K mark. Sucks that you don't have this last life since I can get to 200K with all the lives.
I'll play some more of it after work tomorrow. Right now, I probably said the worst possible things to my game. I even crossed the red line where I started calling the game "Kim Kardashian". Jeez I need to chill out. F this...

Also, you now have a new reason to update your score, BriGuy. I'm not scared of you. 1000 points makes all the difference, man

Score updated...

Haha, I was at work tonight checking the scores on my phone and I couldn't wait to get home and play! Wave 24 is the make or break point for me I've found out. Nice job Vex, hope you enjoyed the view from the top while it lasted!

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:55:00 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
94,250 Tier 3

This game blows. My score has gotten progressively worse as I lose more and more patience.

Edit: Updated score. Finally calmed down for an attempt and did alright. After this score, I lost my cool and got shitty scores again. For my blood pressure's sake, I think I'm done for the week. Hopefully this is enough.

Edited: 07/14/2014 at 07:56 PM by mattbep

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:48:17 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I doubt I'm going to advance as A) I hate this game and B) I hate this game. Plus I just started playing today and I'm finding it hard to keep playing because I hate this game. Oh did I mention I hate this game?

Edited: 07/11/2014 at 01:51 AM by gutsman004

Jul 11, 2014 at 5:20:55 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
Originally posted by: BriGuy82

SO CLOSE TO 180K!!!

Seriously, I almost got an extra life. If I did, I could have gone to the 200K mark. Sucks that you don't have this last life since I can get to 200K with all the lives.
I'll play some more of it after work tomorrow. Right now, I probably said the worst possible things to my game. I even crossed the red line where I started calling the game "Kim Kardashian". Jeez I need to chill out. F this...

Also, you now have a new reason to update your score, BriGuy. I'm not scared of you. 1000 points makes all the difference, man

Score updated...

Haha, I was at work tonight checking the scores on my phone and I couldn't wait to get home and play! Wave 24 is the make or break point for me I've found out. Nice job Vex, hope you enjoyed the view from the top while it lasted!

Don't worry, I still have plenty of time to get to the 200K mark

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Edited: 07/11/2014 at 05:21 AM by Vectrex28

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:41:17 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: gutsman004

I doubt I'm going to advance as A) I hate this game and B) I hate this game. Plus I just started playing today and I'm finding it hard to keep playing because I hate this game. Oh did I mention I hate this game?

All depends on how Billtownsparty and Balloon Kid do relative to us...

I'm pretty comfortable admitting that I think me breaking into the 180k+ range on this rule-set is unlikely...

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:51:28 AM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: gutsman004

yeah man, not a fan either

I am sad that i wont be able to play anymore this week (weekend) as i am on vacation

my only hope is that my score can somehow hold up so i can really go for it and dedicate time to the next game, but i am pessimistic it will

good luck to everyone!

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:47:55 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland
OH. MY. GOD. You probably won't believe me on this one, but I just his 351500! I even have video proof! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I'll post a link to youtube to prove my score! Wave 39! Tier 1! 351500!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!FHSJAGFKAJHFSWONIONSJHAGKJRHASGRKAJS
What do you have to say now, BriGuy?

Video link coming soon!

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:52:23 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Congrats. That is nuts.

In terms of play, is it simply a chain of incremental improvements, or was there some radical shift that we're missing?

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:53:14 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland
Here's a YT link to the vid

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:00:16 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Edit: I was hoping for gameplay footage for tips. But nice job man!

Edited: 07/11/2014 at 01:03 PM by mattbep

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:01:20 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland
Originally posted by: mattbep

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'll be watchin that video when I get home for tips. Nice job man.

It's just a video proof of the final score, sorry to disappoint you.
However, I can tell ya a few tips if you want:

- If the wave drags on, DO NOT GO TO THE RIGHT OF THE SCREEN! That's where the pterodactyls spawn. If you don't have many dudes left on the screen, try to lure the dactyl to the ground. Run on the ground and ram your lance in his mouth. That's the only safe way to kill the dactyl. However he HAS to be on the lowest possible point on the ground, and you HAVE to be walking (preferably running)

- At the beginning of each wave, stand right above one of the spawning areas, and hover over it. You'll insta-kill any dude that tries to spawn here, and you'll get his egg as well. If the top spawner is still here, do it here. If not, do it over one on the sides. Doing it on the spawner at the bottom is suicide, especially on the later waves. Sometimes, you can kill nearly everyone on the screen, but sometimes those fucks spawn at the other spawners.

- Try to kill the dudes as they go down.

Edited: 07/11/2014 at 01:09 PM by Vectrex28

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:03:01 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Congrats. That is nuts.

In terms of play, is it simply a chain of incremental improvements, or was there some radical shift that we're missing?

I don't even know how I managed to do this... I was just playing through the game like I usually did, and for some reason I started to kill dude after dude on later wave. I believe there's some radical shift involved, but I didn't probably notice it.

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:07:51 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Congrats. That is nuts.

I don't even know how I managed to do this... I was just playing through the game like I usually did, and for some reason I started to kill dude after dude on later wave. I believe there's some radical shift involved, but I didn't probably notice it.

I mean, I noticed a huge shift in my own scoring when I started fighting on the defensive rather than offensive, forcing them to use their momentum against themselves.

Also, figuring out how to kill early while avoiding getting tele-fragged is nice, but somewhat random, since I don't think you know the spawn points to start with.

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:09:49 PM
BilltownSparty (87)
(Ben ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan
I also hate this game haha this is an unforgiving ballon fight

Currently Playing mario sunshine, Lost vikings and paper mario color splash hd

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:13:49 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland

Congrats. That is nuts.

I mean, I noticed a huge shift in my own scoring when I started fighting on the defensive rather than offensive, forcing them to use their momentum against themselves.

Also, figuring out how to kill early while avoiding getting tele-fragged is nice, but somewhat random, since I don't think you know the spawn points to start with.

Based on what you said, I think I did exactly like you said. Especially on the later stages, being too offensive is suicide.

And as I said before, you should hover over the spawners so you get the guy AND the egg for bonus points. However, they come at random so it's hit or miss. It's still better to try to kill some of the enemies early on than having a whole screen littered with enemies. However, only do this on the topmost spawner

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:14:41 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

However, only do this on the topmost spawner
Learned that lesson the hard way.

Not worth the risk to get stuck with the low-ground.

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:37:10 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
I am pretty sure the single worst thing that can happen to you in this game is getting tele-fragged while enemies spawn because you hovered too close and accidentally put your feet down.

When that happens, you don't respawn until all other enemies are on-screen. And then you have no control of your on-screen placement for the wave.

HUGE disadvantage.

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:43:51 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey

OH. MY. GOD. You probably won't believe me on this one, but I just his 351500! I even have video proof! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I'll post a link to youtube to prove my score! Wave 39! Tier 1! 351500!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!FHSJAGFKAJHFSWONIONSJHAGKJRHASGRKAJS

Video link coming soon!
What do I have to say?! Thats awesome and your obviously a Joust genius! Congratulations dude, next time make a video of your run because for the NES that must be a record I bet.

Edited: 07/11/2014 at 04:44 PM by BriGuy82

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:47:46 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland

Video link coming soon!
What do I have to say?! Thats awesome and your obviously a Joust genius! Congratulations dude, next time make a video of your run because for the NES that must be a record I bet.

Actually, I just checked Twin Galaxies and all scores are lower than mine. However, it's 5 lives only so I dunno if I'm gonna make it or not. Those rules are harsher than Tier 1's

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:50:37 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey

Video link coming soon!

Actually, I just checked Twin Galaxies and all scores are lower than mine. However, it's 5 lives only so I dunno if I'm gonna make it or not. Those rules are harsher than Tier 1's

Yeah but I bet you can beat them even with those rules... how many lives do you think you lost?