Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Garbage COLECO Chameleon Feel like I've seen this before somewhere.

Mar 8, 2016 at 7:26:59 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
This guy is with you, he made a toy fair proto replica! Even got the spot in back where the electrical tape didn't fully cover the SNES. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/...

Mar 8, 2016 at 7:38:53 PM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
But where to find that clear shell? Were the dental cameras cast in clear by chance?

-------------------------
"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:01:11 PM
bunnyboy (81)
California
Kennedy sold them to recoup the cost of the tooling, although where that money went or should go is a mess:

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:05:01 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Final Theory

I don't know about you guys, but I am seriously wanting to purchase a Coleco Chameleon shell with a DVR capture card on the inside as memorabilia from the Retro VGS team. Like I'm not even joking. If it were like $20 bucks or less I'd buy this as a joke basically so I can laugh at it. Who is with me on this?

now that I could see taking off! Hell maybe that was his plan all along

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:17:44 PM
GradualGames (39)
(Derek Andrews) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Ya know I kinda wondered if something shady money wise was actually going on. That's a great video. Now I'm not surprised at all Piko was tied up with these folks. Birds of a feather...

Creators of: Nomolos: Storming the CATsle, and The Legends of Owlia.

Edited: 03/08/2016 at 08:18 PM by GradualGames

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:18:17 PM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States
Any of you younger guys watching take note; this is a sure fire way to kill your entire career and everything you worked for in just a few short months.

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:28:37 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: SoleGooseProductions

But where to find that clear shell? Were the dental cameras cast in clear by chance?
No, they were white.

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:06:05 PM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Originally posted by: SoleGooseProductions

No, they were white.

Now that's a collector's piece. When used dental equipment starts showing up in the FS section, I'll be excited .

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:08:51 PM
bunnyboy (81)
California
One of the AA posts was something like "somewhere there is a group of dental collectors angry that he wants to modify their original tooling"

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:53:05 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
Now they lost the Coleco name and they have problems with Atari, they should buy the Karma Chameleon name, the Karma Chameleon telephone mold and have Boy George endorse the product!

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:52:06 PM
Final Theory (2)

(Final Theory) < Crack Trooper >
United States
I thought I would have a shot at this.

Edited: 03/10/2016 at 09:54 PM by Final Theory

Mar 16, 2016 at 1:04:01 AM
Galsia (3)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Eggplant Wizard >
Minnesota
Horrible marketing. From the little I have heard, its a SNES inside a Jaguar but is named Coleco? and i heard something about a Wii U Pro controller? so its basically a frankenstein console with no original parts? who the fuck would buy that?

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:21:08 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: alan.fischer16

Horrible marketing. From the little I have heard, its a SNES inside a Jaguar but is named Coleco? and i heard something about a Wii U Pro controller? so its basically a frankenstein console with no original parts? who the fuck would buy that?

You're missing the whole point.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:25:58 AM
GradualGames (39)
Pennsylvania
It was originally going to be a super emulator of multiple old consoles, using an FPGA to emulate them in hardware instead of software. Given that this is much more expensive than a software-emulation system and produces exactly the same results, the very idea was flawed to begin with, even if they did secure funding. Especially since their goal was to bring back cartridge gaming. You can't do that in an already saturated market. Imho, they could only have done this by making a new, exclusive market, in a slow/steady fashion by creating their own community around their product, making it appealing to hobbyists. Reasonable ideas, realistic ideas, however, do not seem to interest them in the slightest.

All this stuff about the SNES mini and such were because they couldn't get a prototype built, so they lied, again, again, and again, making an exponentially bigger fool out of themselves with each lie.

Edited: 03/16/2016 at 09:27 AM by GradualGames

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:32:57 AM
Galsia (3)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Eggplant Wizard >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

Originally posted by: alan.fischer16

You're missing the whole point.

whatever that may be. it just sounds like a dumb idea. that would be like putting a Mazda Miata engine inside a Chevy Cobalt and calling it a Dodge Pinto.

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:51:42 AM
G-Type (1)
(Geoff ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
Originally posted by: GradualGames

Imho, they could only have done this by making a new, exclusive market, in a slow/steady fashion by creating their own community around their product, making it appealing to hobbyists. Reasonable ideas, realistic ideas, however, do not seem to interest them in the slightest.
Yea, it was a flawed concept to begin with, but thinking about it as purely a thought excercise, could a modern day retro-style console be successful? Obviously there is a certain degree of interest in the premise, although they customer base is very niche, extremely skeptical, and had a ton of other (probably better) options. So the most important question you need to decide is not what color shell to put it in, but what platform will it be based on?

Emulating classic platforms such as SNES makes no sense, because the people who want to play games on that system can just use the original hardware or any of the hundreds of cheap clone systems. But it would still have to be using a pre-existing language/environment in order to gather enough games to get any momentum. The most obvious choice is Android, but that has already been tried with Ouya. And if Android isn't going to work, lesser options are not going work either, so you can probably forget about a console that plays Flash games. You might be able to go a proprietary route if some platform support deal was worked out with Unity. Either that, or make it very simple to develop for, and create your own game development tool kit to build a community around.

Check out my comic, The Scientists. It's like a "Genius-centric 'Goonies' that can turn thriller at any moment". 

Edited: 03/16/2016 at 10:54 AM by G-Type

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:18:15 PM
GradualGames (39)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: G-Type

Originally posted by: GradualGames

Imho, they could only have done this by making a new, exclusive market, in a slow/steady fashion by creating their own community around their product, making it appealing to hobbyists. Reasonable ideas, realistic ideas, however, do not seem to interest them in the slightest.
Yea, it was a flawed concept to begin with, but thinking about it as purely a thought excercise, could a modern day retro-style console be successful? Obviously there is a certain degree of interest in the premise, although they customer base is very niche, extremely skeptical, and had a ton of other (probably better) options. So the most important question you need to decide is not what color shell to put it in, but what platform will it be based on?

Emulating classic platforms such as SNES makes no sense, because the people who want to play games on that system can just use the original hardware or any of the hundreds of cheap clone systems. But it would still have to be using a pre-existing language/environment in order to gather enough games to get any momentum. The most obvious choice is Android, but that has already been tried with Ouya. And if Android isn't going to work, lesser options are not going work either, so you can probably forget about a console that plays Flash games. You might be able to go a proprietary route if some platform support deal was worked out with Unity. Either that, or make it very simple to develop for, and create your own game development tool kit to build a community around.
I think there's potential for something like the UzeBox to be more popular: http://belogic.com/uzebox/index.a...

It is its own platform. You cannot deploy any of the "popular" platforms to it--you must write for it from the ground up in C using its proprietary graphics and sound kernel, no OS. It's got a small hobbyist community built up around it.

My feeling is somebody could create a similar platform to this, only it would have a plastic case already (uzebox does but you have to get it separately). The intent would be to create a hobbyist community of software hobbyists around a "fully built" new cartridge console. Make it fun enough to program and I could see game jams growing up around the thing. If these jams catch on, you bet some really talented folks will take a stab at it. Eventually, you get a new indie scene making cartridge based games for a new cartridge console. 

It would NOT be quite like in the past where you have a cartridge based console with exclusive launch titles. But, I do think it would have potential, and could grow,just in a very differentfashion than Mike Kennedy and others envisioned.

The reason I think it has potential is---the indie market is extremely saturated. Look for retro games and you find tons and tons and tons of passionate developers trying to make it on steam, ios, android, what have you. Such a platform would give the "small time" folks a constrained community in which to stand out just by virtue of it being a unique platform.

Homebrew development already has some of these virtues---however we must compete with an existing library of professionally developed games.

If I ever get sick of making games (not likely) I might even try to kickstart this idea, who knows. It'd be modest, certainly wouldn't require 2 million to develop.

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:21:27 PM
GradualGames (39)
Pennsylvania
Look! The coleco chameleon prototype DOES exist!!!

Mar 23, 2016 at 1:40:38 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
I think it's time to let this thread die. No need to keep taking potshots

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Mar 23, 2016 at 1:43:11 PM
GradualGames (39)
Pennsylvania
Except that video was so funny it had to be shared.

Mar 23, 2016 at 3:25:17 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Except it wasn't funny. Not even 2 weeks ago when it was more relevant.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:03:47 PM
GradualGames (39)
Pennsylvania