Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Reluctance to play ports

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:32:04 PM
zombi (43)
< El Ripper >
Michigan
When it comes to play and completing games, I am very particular about playing the game on the original system that it was released on.

I have a very hard time playing "ports" of games on other systems.

Example: Ocarina of Time is a game that I've never beaten. It is at the top of my list of my queue of games to start next, but I really only want to play it on the N64. I recently picked up the 3DS version of the game in a bundle that I bought and now I have a tempation to play that version. It seems like it would be cool to play a portable version of the game with higher quality graphics and what not. But again, it's not the original way that the game was meant to be played so I just feel weird about it. Other games that I feel this way about would be A Link to the Past: Four Swords, Resident Evil 0 (PC), and The Mega Man Collection.

Just a weird quirk I have I guess.

And don't get me started on emulators/virtual console, which I consider cheating if you're using saving systems that the games were never intended to have.

Now don't get me started on playing emulators (which I consider cheating for the most part),

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:25:18 PM
retroupgrade (3)
< Meka Chicken >
My two cents is that it depends on the port itself. Some ports have re-balanced gameplay, updated translations, and new soundtracks, just to name a few examples. In these cases, I can agree that the port will not be the same experience as the original. However, some of these changes are for the better. In example, the FF X remake has an option to use the orchestral version of the soundtrack and I think it sounds much better than the original PS2 soundtrack. In the case of Ocarina of Time, I think the 3DS version is better because of the updated visuals and audio, but you won't get the experience of playing it on the TV and using the very unique N64 controller. So, that one could go either way.

With Dragon Warrior, I think I'm going to skip the NES version and play the Game Boy Color since everybody says the leveling-up and character balancing is better. I also like being able to bring my RPGs with me when I leave the house.

On the other hand, some ports blow my mind that they were ever released. In example, the Game Gear version of Mega Man. I totally agree with Hardcore Gaming 101 on this. Link: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/...

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:59:37 PM
Leon (52)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: retroupgrade

My two cents is that it depends on the port itself. Some ports have re-balanced gameplay, updated translations, and new soundtracks, just to name a few examples. In these cases, I can agree that the port will not be the same experience as the original. However, some of these changes are for the better. In example, the FF X remake has an option to use the orchestral version of the soundtrack and I think it sounds much better than the original PS2 soundtrack. In the case of Ocarina of Time, I think the 3DS version is better because of the updated visuals and audio, but you won't get the experience of playing it on the TV and using the very unique N64 controller. So, that one could go either way.

With Dragon Warrior, I think I'm going to skip the NES version and play the Game Boy Color since everybody says the leveling-up and character balancing is better. I also like being able to bring my RPGs with me when I leave the house.

On the other hand, some ports blow my mind that they were ever released. In example, the Game Gear version of Mega Man. I totally agree with Hardcore Gaming 101 on this. Link: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/megaman/megaman10.htm

Yes I agree, kind of like how Chrono Trigger was terrible on PSX - but stellar on DS.

-------------------------
!! My entire NES/Famicom collection is for sale (link) !!

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:36:01 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
I agree play it in its original form.

But if your worried about playing OoT for the first time on original hardware, you need to do it back in 1998  

Not gonna have the same effect on a person today as it did back then.

But, your right. Better than playing that 3ds version  

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:57:57 AM
laddersandcakes (58)
(Chris ) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
I actually had a lot of my first real experiences with some classic games, especially certain NES and SNES games, through the Virtual Console while I was in college. The first time I hit all 96 exits in Super Mario World, played Castlevania III, beat the first Final Fantasy, Ninja Gaiden, Kirby's Dreamland 3, etc. And I grew up playing a lot of SNES ports on the GBA, too. Porting is always a mixed bag. I'm actually kind of into collecting all the ports of some of my favorite games--fun to find your favorites, see how different developers adapted the game, and so on.

Nowadays, I mostly play the OG versions, since I actually have the hardware (didn't have a SNES till I was 24), but I have a soft spot for those previous experiences. I don't know why I didn't start collecting in college (or earlier), versus downloading those classics. Didn't even occur to me. Would've saved some money, for sure, but no worries.

Edited: 07/13/2016 at 01:59 AM by laddersandcakes

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:17:53 AM
StuOhQ (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
I don't mind ports, provided that they are singular endeavors. What I have trouble overcoming is multiplats (simultaneously developed). I've always preferred exclusives for the reason that all of the developer's attention was placed on making the version you are playing the best that it could possibly be.

With a multiplat, your particular version was only ever getting divided attention. A solid (maybe enhanced) port down the road? Fine by me.

Retro Tech Select
Check out my YouTube Channel for old-school gaming goodness!

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:08:56 AM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

But if your worried about playing OoT for the first time on original hardware, you need to do it back in 1998  

I beg to differ.  I played the original Wind Waker 10 years after it came out, on the original console.  Yeah other Zelda's and such were out by then which I played on those consoles, but it was a kick ass game!  I love Wind Waker!  I honestly don't think the timing should make a difference on when things get played.  OoT is what 20 years old almost?  It still plays as one of the best games of all time.  Age matters not.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:14:42 AM
dahlmahl (0)
< Crack Trooper >
United States
Depends on the game for me. I can play some 80's/90's NES and SNES arcade ports unless it's something like neo geo games which I have to play on a neo geo or on at least decent legal emulation.

Not The Rug Man!

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:25:26 AM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
I'm mostly the same way, preferring the original version if possible. It gets tricky with things like director's cuts or if a creator prefers a version of a game (i.e. a certain system allowed them to most fully express their vision; Kojima with the MSX version of Metal Gear). Oddly, I don't apply this rule to arcade games, so it all breaks down, except that I don't play many of them, being mostly an RPG guy. Arcade ports fall into the nostalgia trap of looking and feeling like something that I should like, but being games that I am terrible at and quickly lose interest in. With RPGs I am currently debating playing Lunar, but can't decide on the Sega CD version or the PS1 version. I'll probably go with Sega CD, but if there is some compelling reason on the part of the creators to play the PS1 version then that may win out.

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Jul 13, 2016 at 8:12:32 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: zombi

Now don't get me started on playing emulators (which I consider cheating for the most part),

This again?!......sigh.  Seriously,stop. 

Jul 13, 2016 at 8:45:41 AM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
If you don't play ports, and you seem to be biased aginst emulators, you lose like a quarter to half the nes library. A good deal of them are arcade ports, or ports from other systems.

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:02:59 AM
retroupgrade (3)
< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: StuOhQ

I don't mind ports, provided that they are singular endeavors. What I have trouble overcoming is multiplats (simultaneously developed). I've always preferred exclusives for the reason that all of the developer's attention was placed on making the version you are playing the best that it could possibly be.

With a multiplat, your particular version was only ever getting divided attention. A solid (maybe enhanced) port down the road? Fine by me.

Many people say that the multiplatform release killed Mighty No 9.  

As long as you are not going for a speed-run, highscore, or other type of bragging point, I think emulators with save states are great. I honestly don't think I'd play through the classic Mega Man games without them. I'm not spoiling the game for myself because I used a save state after missing a jump which would have caused my death or lost to a boss with a bar of life remaining. Also, I can't remember off the top of my head, but some video games even have features where you can rewind death if you have a particular item or upgrade.

Edited: 07/13/2016 at 09:16 AM by retroupgrade

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:13:22 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: Space Jockey

I beg to differ.  I played the original Wind Waker 10 years after it came out, on the original console.  Yeah other Zelda's and such were out by then which I played on those consoles, but it was a kick ass game!  I love Wind Waker!  I honestly don't think the timing should make a difference on when things get played.  OoT is what 20 years old almost?  It still plays as one of the best games of all time.  Age matters not.

I'm talking about what it felt like during that time period . N64 was brand new. Hadn't  seen, heard of or even imagined a Zelda game like that before.

just playing it on original hardware instead of a port can't get that part of the experience back. 

If you never heard the Beatles before. Playing it for the first time on a record machine today won't be the same as 1960. You will think "ok, this is what people used to listen to music". But you might as well play it on your phone. 

I'm not saying you won't like it 20 years later. I'm saying it's not gonna matter now if you play it on an n64,wii, emulator or any other. The only thing you'll notice is the shitty controller   

Edited: 07/13/2016 at 09:18 AM by skinnygrinny

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:35:11 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

I honestly don't think I'd play through the classic Mega Man games without them. I'm not spoiling the game for myself because I used a save state after missing a jump which would have caused my death or lost to a boss with a bar of life remaining.

Smh. What? You use save states because you missed a jump?! I think your missing the point of playing NES games.

Megaman isn't even a hard game. 

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:42:25 AM
retroupgrade (3)
< Meka Chicken >

I honestly don't think I'd play through the classic Mega Man games without them. I'm not spoiling the game for myself because I used a save state after missing a jump which would have caused my death or lost to a boss with a bar of life remaining.

Smh. What? You use save states because you missed a jump?! I think your missing the point of playing NES games.

Haha. I 99% agree with you. Though, in my defense, the game will always allow you to return to the spot you died, but reverting states makes it happen instantly rather than taking 5 seconds or 5 minutes. I still have to beat the game myself. Save states don't do the work for you. I don't have a lot of love for some of those old jump puzzles, but I really like the combat, boss battles, music, etc. Also, I'm probably just terrible at Mega Man games despite being such a big fan.

Replying to skinnygrinny/Space Jockey:

I have a very vivid memory of playing Super Mario 64 on nine multiplexed CRT TVs that hung 20 feet in the air from the ceiling in Best Buy. Everybody who walked in the store could watch me play. Everyone was so stoked for a 3D Mario, not to mention how it broke the mold on platformers in such an awesome way. I still think it's the best release title of any platform.

Whether you picked up an old N64 at a pawn shop or downloaded the ROM on your computer or phone, you'll never know the hype, interest, and curiosity that came with that release. No one can say it's not a fantastic title and is still fun to play today, but you are missing out on the good vibes from the year of release.

Last example: I waited a couple years to play Borderlands 2, after release, and by then, no one cared how awesome I thought it was. But, when it was released, all my buddies were talking about it and posting about it on the web.

Edited: 07/13/2016 at 09:56 AM by retroupgrade

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:32:12 AM
dahlmahl (0)
< Crack Trooper >
United States

Haha. I 99% agree with you. Though, in my defense, the game will always allow you to return to the spot you died, but reverting states makes it happen instantly rather than taking 5 seconds or 5 minutes. I still have to beat the game myself. Save states don't do the work for you. I don't have a lot of love for some of those old jump puzzles, but I really like the combat, boss battles, music, etc. Also, I'm probably just terrible at Mega Man games despite being such a big fan.

Replying to skinnygrinny/Space Jockey:

I have a very vivid memory of playing Super Mario 64 on nine multiplexed CRT TVs that hung 20 feet in the air from the ceiling in Best Buy. Everybody who walked in the store could watch me play. Everyone was so stoked for a 3D Mario, not to mention how it broke the mold on platformers in such an awesome way. I still think it's the best release title of any platform.

Whether you picked up an old N64 at a pawn shop or downloaded the ROM on your computer or phone, you'll never know the hype, interest, and curiosity that came with that release. No one can say it's not a fantastic title and is still fun to play today, but you are missing out on the good vibes from the year of release.

Last example: I waited a couple years to play Borderlands 2, after release, and by then, no one cared how awesome I thought it was. But, when it was released, all my buddies were talking about it and posting about it on the web.

Maybe if you died right at the checkpoint, but megaman doesn't drop you back to where you died. O.o

Not The Rug Man!

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:40:20 AM
retroupgrade (3)
< Meka Chicken >
You're right. I didn't mean to say that the game puts you back to the exact place you died. I just mean that you have endless continues to try to progress past the point you died.

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:55:48 AM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Are non-emulator users thinking people who use emulators are doing save states every 5 seconds or something?

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:18:51 AM
StuOhQ (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
@ Ozzy_98 yes. Emulation campers just apply rom hacks that make the games play themselves. It's like a let's play, but with nobody watching but their cat  

In all seriousness, my biggest beefs with Virtual Console are the picture quality of the NES games (so blurry), and the (mostly negligible) lag. I just really enjoy playing on original hardware most of the time, unless the carts were unreleased in the US or are really pricey now.

Retro Tech Select
Check out my YouTube Channel for old-school gaming goodness!

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:03:43 PM
retroupgrade (3)
< Meka Chicken >
Haha. I regularly use emulators and I have never heard of people hacking games so much that they play themselves. That's crazy.

I mostly use emulators so I don't have to dig out my physical copy, put wear on my carts or discs, and because it's already a rat's nest behind my TV with only my favorite consoles hooked up. If I had all my consoles connected I would need some expensive device that takes multiple HDMI/SCART/AV inputs. I'd probably have to add another power strip and I'd have to buy a new shelf or entertainment center just to hold everything. Emulators let me keep everything nice and organized and out of the way. I have kids that love to mess with my classic consoles, BTW. Also, I like playing fan translations and upgrade hacks such as pallet improvements, bug fixes, and improved audio.

I totally understand the nostalgia and respect that goes with playing games as they were originally released, but I rather have the "best" version of the game, not simply the original version. Games are for fun and nothing else really matters unless you're in it for the money.

I usually don't use save-states, but they can be a huge time-saver when I simply can't invest all my free time learning enemy patterns or perfecting my attacks or movements. I'd like to experience lots of video games before I die, and I just don't have the time to master them all. I'm married with kids, so maybe I'm not in the same boat as everybody else.

I'm frustrated that the Virtual Console ports aren't better than they are. Our emulation technology is advanced enough that an official re-release should never look or sound inferior to the original.

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:07:53 PM
dahlmahl (0)
< Crack Trooper >
United States
I'd buy and emulate games my clone console can't play, once I buy it I don't care how I go about playing it.

Not The Rug Man!

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:09:50 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
No reluctance at all. I want to play the best most improved version possible.

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:36:32 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Originally posted by: Ozzy_98

If you don't play ports, and you seem to be biased aginst emulators, you lose like a quarter to half the nes library. A good deal of them are arcade ports, or ports from other systems.
I was going to say this as well.  Most of the games people talk about on here (especially for NES) are all dummied down ports of arcade games.  The only way to play most of this stuff without investing insane amounts of money is on an emulator.  If you aren't playing using emulators you are playing the worst versions of most of those games.  There's just a lot of ignorance out there about this stuff, people act like the NES and SNES are the be all end all of classic gaming.

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:39:22 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California

Thats a funny example.  I love DW1 on NES, and found the text/graphics differences in the GBC version to be very annoying.  Someone who hasn't played the NES version probably sees the GBC as better while I see it as worse.  Being able to bring it with me is one major reason for the AVS portable   

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:48:24 PM
dahlmahl (0)
< Crack Trooper >
United States
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Thats a funny example.  I love DW1 on NES, and found the text/graphics differences in the GBC version to be very annoying.  Someone who hasn't played the NES version probably sees the GBC as better while I see it as worse.  Being able to bring it with me is one major reason for the AVS portable   

Having owned both, I'm throwing my lot with the NES version. It is the way to play it.

Not The Rug Man!