Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Zelda: Ocarina of Time First time getting into it, some 13 years after its release?

Jul 4, 2010 at 3:22:30 AM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia

So, I completely missed out on Ocarina of Time when it came out. My little brother had it and played the hell out of it when it was new, and I saw plenty of it.. I was just busy with virtually every other gaming platform in existence at the time, so I missed out on it.

A few years later, in 2001 or 2002, I tried picking it up and seriously playing it. I put about three hours into it, but I got caught up in other things and never went back to it. I meant to play it again, but over the next few years I just said "to hell with it" and declared it a lost cause.

Anyways, last weekend my brother was over and he brought his cart with him. He urged me to start a new game and we ended up playing it for the next few hours. He let me borrow the cart, and I've been playing it on and off each day this past week.

I have to say, it's pretty cool. I'm still very early in the game though (Just got the bombs and the first relic/stone/crystal/whatever from the cave, worked my way to the water-people's hideout, got transported to some river in the middle of nowhere, and found a bottle with a note in it). Just out of curiosity though, does this game get more open-ended than it is? My only real complaint so far (aside from the unsteady framerate) is that it's not as "free roaming" as any of the prior Zelda's (I, II, Link to the Past or Link's Awakening). I mean, you can go a few places off the get-go, but that's about it.. There's no accidental "wandering into a strange land and getting your ass handed to you" like there was in the old games, at least, not that I've experienced yet.

-------------------------
| gameplay and talk |

Jul 4, 2010 at 5:32:56 AM
recspecz (1)
(Shawn Wilkinson) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
Yes. Just wait when you become adult Link.

recspecz

Jul 4, 2010 at 9:26:33 AM
matt17_52 (28)
(Matt Wyatt) < Lolo Lord >
South Carolina
You have only seen about 1/3 of the game.

Originally posted by: RetroBasement

wow thanks for making me squirt milk out of my nipples

Jul 4, 2010 at 10:37:56 AM
StanJr (5)
(Stan D) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
yeah, there is a LOT more to come and other than a few places where you need a certain item to get to a certain area, it is pretty free roaming.

Enjoy! What a great great game!

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:04:50 AM
ulasamosa (280)
(James Ulizza) < Bowser >
Ohio
you will love the game until you get to the Shadow Temple.......1st time I got there I was like FML. At least I think it was Shadow...maybe it was the Water one. Hmmm......great, now I gotta go play thru Ocarina of Time again. THanks.....

Jul 4, 2010 at 2:12:50 PM
Richard (19)
(Richard ) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Originally posted by: ulasamosa

you will love the game until you get to the Shadow Temple.......1st time I got there I was like FML. At least I think it was Shadow...maybe it was the Water one. Hmmm......great, now I gotta go play thru Ocarina of Time again. THanks.....

Believe me, it was the water...I am playing through this game right now again and I am on the last dungeon before the castle. I almost cried in the water dungeon. People say the shadow dungeon is hard and it has some challenging parts(well I guess it is hard), but after playing the water dungeon it was much less stressful. Over the years I have put this game on a pedestal that maybe it doesn't deserve now that I am playing it again. Then again it is 12 years old and I have to keep reminding myself that. Also, I have the collector's edition which is version 1.0 and if I am not mistaken there were changes done to the other n64 releases.

The game is filled with glitches, has slow down/frame rate issues, and has some insanely hard parts in the game(atleast for me). Still an amazing game and one hell of an adventure, but to call it a flawless isn't exactly the right description, but amazing does it justice.

You were the lightning in that rain, you can still shine through the darkness.

Jul 4, 2010 at 5:16:09 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
The water temple is my least favorite temple in the game. I find it very annoying that you have to constantly raise and lower the water level to get through the whole temple.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:31:20 AM
projectingstars (95)
(S. K.) < King Solomon >
Washington
Yeah, the Water Temple is by far the toughest temple in OoT. Luckily the boss is insanely easy so you don't have to worry about that.

I don't remember my copy being too glitchy, though. But, the last time I played this was around 2001, so you never know what my mind chooses not to remember.

"Absurdity is what I like most in life, and there's humor in struggling in ignorance. If you saw a man repeatedly running into a wall until he was a bloody pulp, after a while it would make you laugh because it becomes absurd".

-David Lynch

Edited: 07/05/2010 at 01:31 AM by projectingstars

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:36:41 AM
HIGHTOWER26 (73)
(Wesley Johnson) < El Ripper >
California
I have a strategy for sale if you would like it, just let me know.

looking for boxes and manuals that I dont have. 

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:06:18 AM
NESHomebrew (21)
(Brad Bateman - Strange Brew Games) < King Solomon >
Saskatchewan
Originally posted by: projectingstars

Yeah, the Water Temple is by far the toughest temple in OoT. Luckily the boss is insanely easy so you don't have to worry about that.

I don't remember my copy being too glitchy, though. But, the last time I played this was around 2001, so you never know what my mind chooses not to remember.
This is where I have been stuck for about 4 years. Mind you, I haven't played the game in about 4 years either. It's probably one of my favorite games I've played for the N64 (even though I've only played the gamecube version).

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:28:43 AM
Howard (0)
(Noah Riggs) < Crack Trooper >
Arkansas
Honestly I never have liked Ocarina of Time all that much. My favorite parts were the shadow and water temples. There were at least challenging and interesting. The rest of the game is pretty easy.

Jul 5, 2010 at 5:27:27 AM
blastocystosis (39)
(J W) < El Ripper >
Alabama
It's been probably 5 or more years since I've last played it but it's pretty open world. The later temples as have been said get challenging as hell. I used to think it was one of the best games I've ever played but I haven't played it recently to really decide if it holds up or not. As of now I rank it behind A Link to the Past and the Legend of Zelda, but I still think it's better than the console games that have come after it (haven't played any of the handhelds.)

How can you be a bisexual and be in a wheel chair?? - ThatNintendoGuy
I was in the bathroom at the gay bar - rhetoric614

Jul 5, 2010 at 9:27:22 AM
Berserker (41)
(< • • ll Andrew O. ll • • >) < Kraid Killer >
New Hampshire
One of the best games ever. I've played through quite a few times, last time with only 3 hearts! (No Deaths!)

If you're thinking about perfecting it, I believe there is a glitch which prevents you from getting a Deku Nut Upgrade. You have to get the upgrade BEFORE you travel through time. I want to say it was the upgrade you get using a mask at the Lost Woods' underground stage. However, I have 1.0, so this may have been fixed in later versions. (Also, with 1.0 you can do a lot more fun glitches like the Swordless-Link trick.)

Also, if you have a GameShark Pro you can get an extra heart piece (PIECE not CONTAINER) by using the L-Button Moon Jump code to get into Gerudo Fortress as a kid.

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:29:54 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
It's been a long time since I played this game in the late 90s brand new, but I remember it exceeding my expectation and then some.

I remember being the envy of the neighborhood for figuring out the Water Temple without a strategy guide. It is nothing impossible by any means, but there were some damn tricky puzzles if I remember correctly.

You'll have fun, enjoy the ride.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jul 5, 2010 at 8:40:38 PM
AllYourBass (101)
(Pepe Silvia) < Bowser >
Alberta
I'm jealous that you get to play this game for the first time. What a great experience.

Edited: 07/06/2010 at 01:59 AM by AllYourBass

Jul 6, 2010 at 1:10:45 AM
catfriedrice (5)
(Daniel L.) < Lolo Lord >
Tennessee
I'll have to go find the Master Quest version. I've played it a bit, but never had time to finish it.

Jul 6, 2010 at 2:19:17 AM
Super Slash (0)
(Jesse Winstead) < Lolo Lord >
Louisiana
Master Quest is actually easier than the original version. At least I think so. For example, I'm pretty sure you only need 1-2 small keys to be able to finish the Water Temple. In MQ, the dungeons in general seem a lot shorter.

That being said, I love this game. I think it's easily the best Zelda game ever created. Every time I play it, regardless of the version, I get all 20 hearts. I've only ever gotten all of the Skultullas once though, if I remember correctly, and I forget which version it was.

Jul 6, 2010 at 8:19:29 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: Super Slash

Master Quest is actually easier than the original version. At least I think so. For example, I'm pretty sure you only need 1-2 small keys to be able to finish the Water Temple. In MQ, the dungeons in general seem a lot shorter.

That being said, I love this game. I think it's easily the best Zelda game ever created. Every time I play it, regardless of the version, I get all 20 hearts. I've only ever gotten all of the Skultullas once though, if I remember correctly, and I forget which version it was.

I can't remember if I got all the heart pieces, but I distinctly remember getting all of those damn Skulltulas though (100).  Ah the days when I used to 100% every game I owned, can't remember the last time I've done that.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Edited: 07/06/2010 at 08:19 AM by jonebone

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:29:06 AM
Berserker (41)
(< • • ll Andrew O. ll • • >) < Kraid Killer >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: jonebone

I can't remember if I got all the heart pieces, but I distinctly remember getting all of those damn Skulltulas though (100).  Ah the days when I used to 100% every game I owned, can't remember the last time I've done that.

Games have too much crap to even try nowadays. Grand Theft Auto, Fallout, etc. are just overloaded.

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:30:41 AM
Penguin (239)
(Justin AKA Penguin) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
For some reason i've never been able to get into the 3d Zelda's, maybe it's because I always played the 8 bit ones on the NES and Gameboy. I've played Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess but I haven't beaten either of them.

Looking for Black cartridge Color Dreams games, last 3 I need:  Metal Fighter, Moon Ranger, Baby Boomer.  Please contact me if you have any of these!

Jul 6, 2010 at 12:29:11 PM
Richard (19)
United States
Originally posted by: Penguin

For some reason i've never been able to get into the 3d Zelda's, maybe it's because I always played the 8 bit ones on the NES and Gameboy. I've played Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess but I haven't beaten either of them.

Sprite superiority syndrome. If it doesn't have a humongous head and/or 8 colors it isn't good. Sadly quite a few people suffer from this syndrome. 

Jul 6, 2010 at 12:36:56 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Richard

Sprite superiority syndrome. If it doesn't have a humongous head and/or 8 colors it isn't good. Sadly quite a few people suffer from this syndrome. 

Haha...you could say the same thing about people who have a blanket preference for 3D polygons
Though, I think it's unfortunate that you're so dismissive of some people's preference for sprite-based graphics.

I see where Penguin is coming from on this, and to me, it's more of an issue that it was so much easier for the developers to make the play control rock-solid in sprite-based games.  No need to control camera views, the control frame of reference is always the same, level mapping is straightforward and practical, etc.

Jul 6, 2010 at 6:27:47 PM
Richard (19)
United States
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Haha...you could say the same thing about people who have a blanket preference for 3D polygons
Though, I think it's unfortunate that you're so dismissive of some people's preference for sprite-based graphics.

I see where Penguin is coming from on this, and to me, it's more of an issue that it was so much easier for the developers to make the play control rock-solid in sprite-based games.  No need to control camera views, the control frame of reference is always the same, level mapping is straightforward and practical, etc.

Heh, I will always be in the middle on this issue. I am 19 and my gaming generation was the ps1/n64/gameboy color era. I dislike both sides. I respect sprites and I respect modern era stuff. I think people who completely bash on the new era are dumb and vice versa. 

I absolutely love legend of zelda(obviously) and I can honestly say as someone who is a huge fan of the series that if you think the original legend of zelda is the most fun/best one(nostalgia aside) you are bsing. If you grew up during the time of its release or around there, then if you think the original is the best then more power to you because you got to experience one of the best games of all time when it was revolutionary and amazing. It is extremely hard for someone to go back and play the original LoZ after playing any of the others except Zelda 2.

Like I said, the original legend of zelda is one of the best games of all time I just don't like it when it other iterations or shunned because they are all better games than the original legend of zelda without question, time considerations NOT considered(2 and cdi games not included). Without the original though the world would be an extremely sad place.

Plus the original came out in 1987 in the US right? That was 23 years ago. Even if you are 30 right now that would have made you 7 when that game came out lol. So all the people my age acting like that game is part of their gaming generation is full of it(not talking about anyone in particular just making a broad statement)

Edited: 07/06/2010 at 06:29 PM by Richard

Jul 6, 2010 at 7:37:32 PM
Ouendan (1)
(Go play Gun Nac right now!!) < Lolo Lord >
California
The Water Temple is actually my favorite dungeon in the whole game. It was very challenging and felt like an accomplishment upon finishing it. The nod to Zelda II was brilliant.

Jul 6, 2010 at 7:53:03 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Heh, I will always be in the middle on this issue. I am 19 and my gaming generation was the ps1/n64/gameboy color era. I dislike both sides. I respect sprites and I respect modern era stuff. I think people who completely bash on the new era are dumb and vice versa. 

I absolutely love legend of zelda(obviously) and I can honestly say as someone who is a huge fan of the series that if you think the original legend of zelda is the most fun/best one(nostalgia aside) you are bsing. If you grew up during the time of its release or around there, then if you think the original is the best then more power to you because you got to experience one of the best games of all time when it was revolutionary and amazing. It is extremely hard for someone to go back and play the original LoZ after playing any of the others except Zelda 2.

Like I said, the original legend of zelda is one of the best games of all time I just don't like it when it other iterations or shunned because they are all better games than the original legend of zelda without question, time considerations NOT considered(2 and cdi games not included). Without the original though the world would be an extremely sad place.

Plus the original came out in 1987 in the US right? That was 23 years ago. Even if you are 30 right now that would have made you 7 when that game came out lol. So all the people my age acting like that game is part of their gaming generation is full of it(not talking about anyone in particular just making a broad statement)

Well, I was 7 when I got my NES in 1989, and Legend of Zelda was the first non-pack-in-game I had for the system (followed by Mega Man 2).

It was a great experience to play through that game and swap puzzle-solving tips and maps with my dad.  So definitely, nostalgia-wise, that game will never be unhorsed, for me at least.

I don't shun newer games, at all.  But I have absolutely no nostalgia for OoT, and having played it much later than it's original release, I have a hard time seeing what sets it apart from Twilight Princess (which I did enjoy).