Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Nesruler's 2011 Contest Presents: Trog Contest ends Sunday, 3/6/11 at 10 PM NA time, 9 PM Central time

Mar 5, 2011 at 10:39:25 PM
Stan (81)
(Demonologist and Linguist Supreme) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
I need to get a better picture of this screen. Too much flash.

Mar 5, 2011 at 10:45:56 PM
Stan (81)
Virginia
One thing about this game that can make scores drastically different as you play is whether or not you're lucky enough to nab a pineapple during your run. Then, if it so happens you're close to a lot of trogs you can nab sick points. Luck of the draw, however. But, I did notice that the trogs tend to appear 1) close to you and 2) where there aren't any eggs. Power-ups also only appear where there aren't any eggs, so during the first row (especially first and second levels), if one appears, nab it! Eating hopping trogs will also nab you double points. So if you're up to 80,000 per trog, it becomes 160,000 for one jumping trog.

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:50:12 PM
Stan (81)
Virginia
FECKING SHITE. I don't see many people reaching that score. I got DAMN lucky. I had several pineapple attacks in the midst of gathering eggs where the trogs just happened to keep popping up close by luck of the draw. The closest I could get to 8 mil was 5 million and something. I'll try more later, but I think I'll leave my score at that for now. Getting that score you pretty much have to come out on top on almost every level, and by on top I mean closeness of power-ups as you're egg collecting. Bouncing trogs aren't so bad when you get the hang of them and eating them equals mad points. They only get faster and harder as the levels get higher.

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:23:33 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
holy shit stan, take it easy with the new post button. also if you're posting an updated score, edit your original score post.

edit: i also like the idea having to have a score in before sunday (says the guy who waited until sunday to post). kind of like having a qualifier before the points round. otherwise it seems like there are a bunch of people who sit on their scores until sunday and try to sneak them in at the end. since this is all about competition, i think being able to see where the rest of the field is as the week goes on will encourage more playing.

-------------------------
ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Edited: 03/06/2011 at 06:27 PM by Lincoln

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:24:47 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Edited: 03/06/2011 at 09:42 PM by Lincoln

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:34:44 PM
Stan (81)
Virginia
Yeah, that's another thing I was thinking about. Some of us, of course, can't get there on Sunday to turn in a new score. It's kind of like last minute bitch bidders on eBay or people who use bidding bots. I think you should have at least one score inputed (and a decent one at that where you tried, not just to get it in) the week before, preferably before Friday. I'll be watching to see if any stragglers come close to my score. Might not get another chance to play today since we're having bad practice in a bit and need to finish up a ton of mixing.

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:50:14 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec

This game is irritating the hell out of me right now...

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:58:54 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan

I did this on Tuesday.  Other than that, I haven't had much time this week for this game because of work.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:03:26 PM
Stan (81)
Virginia
There is actually a very, very simple trick to max out points that does not involve stacking or anything. I will reveal if I win, or at the end at any rate.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:05:02 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
TROG RESULTS

1st: 8,749,185 - Stan +10 points
2nd: 7,366,225 - MrMiniMog +8 points
3rd: 3,718,675 - guillavoie +6 points
4th: 3,109,450 - NintendoTwizer +4 points
5th: 2,292,585 - bimmy_lee +2 points

PARTICIPATION

2,090,550 - Lincoln +1 point

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:05:13 PM
NintendoTwizer (172)
(Aaron N) < King Solomon >
Wyoming
Yeah this game can be cruel. Its not a hard game, but random stuff can happen that just messes up your day. Random oil spills seemed to always always kill me and I could never get a pinapple when I needed it. Overall not a bad game though.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:20:09 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: Stan

There is actually a very, very simple trick to max out points that does not involve stacking or anything. I will reveal if I win, or at the end at any rate.

I WANT TO KNOW!!!!

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:28:02 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Damnit i forgot to post my score today. I would have made top 5 too...oh well. I hate working sundays. Made me forget this. ughhh. I liked this game too. damn

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:09:57 PM
Stan (81)
Virginia
Originally posted by: guillavoie

I WANT TO KNOW!!!!

Sure!  First thing, try to make sure you get a pineapple the first two rows of the first stage.  If you don't, reset and start again.  Eventually, usually within five games, you'll get it and you can then milk that to get some good points at the start.  Try to exit first level with around 1 million or more.  It's possible.  Takes a lot of resetting, but eventually you'll get that one round where the pineapple appears AND trogs spawn right in front of you.  But that's not all.

On the first level, after this, just go ahead and collect eggs and power-ups as you need them to complete it.  DON'T COLLECT THE LAST EGG IN THE RIGHT CORNER LAST.  Collect it as soon as possible, BUT NOT LAST.  Why?  Let me explain.  First, doing that will give you the 400,000 bonus points for the level plus 25,000 for winning.  What then?

You may or may not have noticed, but that ONE egg sparkles at the start of the level.  It's always the egg in the farthest lower right corner on EVERY round.  Purpose?  It's a warp.  See, beating each level, assuming you don't get a pineapple, you can only muster a measely few thousand or so.  But, save the sparkling egg for LAST and you will see a hole appear in the round with a strange, pulsating red square in it.  This, my friends, is a warp, and each time you get it you'll be awarded 300,000 points and jump ahead eight rounds (that's why my score was so high with so few rounds).  You'll skip over the first trog feast, which is hard to beat anyway, and get to the diamond round for an easy 100,000.  Keep repeating and your score will fly.  The jumping trog level is also a good one to gather points (not just the jumping ones, but where two appear with other trogs).  If you get a pineapple, EAT THEM.  They're double the score.  Of course, some of this is luck of the draw, but the warp thing will give you mad scores.  I figured it out early on.  I was like what is that sparkling egg, and I saved it for last assuming something would happen.  Nothing did the first time, because I left the usual exit, and then I noticed the red square one time and went for it.  There's still skill involved in getting that high, but it's a lot easier with the warp bonus EVERY round.

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:22:07 PM
NintendoTwizer (172)
(Aaron N) < King Solomon >
Wyoming
Ahh... thats interesting. I used the warp before, but I thought it was a waste as I could collect more points in the early levels then the 300,000 I'd get with warping. But I see your point, that does sound like a better stategy. Yeah the first couple levels can really help you with points if you get a pinapple right away. The thing to remember is that trogs only appear where there isn't gems/eggs. So if you get pinapple right away then they are only going to spawn in the area around you.

Mar 7, 2011 at 1:00:50 AM
Stan (81)
Virginia
Yeah, exactly, that'w why I kept resetting until I got a first round where the pineapple appeared soon and they kept appearing near me. The warps are worth more points than anything, other than the first level bonus, you can stock up quick. And with random pineapples (especially with hopping trogs), you can really rack it up.