Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

cheep repros whos has the best

Jul 25, 2010 at 4:04:50 PM
casperdj777 (0)

(. .) < Meka Chicken >
United States

I know theres a few sites out & more & more people are making there own .

who sells the cheepest? 1 site i dont like the guy & 2 sites i know of dont show the prices ,it just says "email me"

-------------------------

Jul 25, 2010 at 4:08:39 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
How many and what games are you looking for?

Since repros aren't collectible, and you're just looking to play on the real hardware, just get a PowerPak, if you're ever planning to own/play more than 5 hacks/repros.

Jul 25, 2010 at 4:09:16 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: casperdj777

1 site i dont like the guy

This thread has huge potential.

On a serious note, what are you looking for in particular?  Genny, NES, SNES? 

The three major repro sites are retrozone, thenesdump, and gamereproductions.  I would recommend all three.  All three site owners are also members here.

Jul 25, 2010 at 4:12:12 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

^^^ I wouldn't rag him too hard for that comment. I've been rubbed the wrong way by one of the repro makers early on and I would NEVER buy from them as a result. The guy is a member here, but he hasn't been active in a long time, from what I've seen.

I don't know if Leon still does this stuff, but nesreproductions is the "original" repro site.

Jul 25, 2010 at 5:04:14 PM
casperdj777 (0)

(. .) < Meka Chicken >
United States
nes games  but not shure what games yet. I made a huge list of games i would like to have as repros.was thinking of maybe doing a small run of hack repros  but not shure how well they would sell & if its worth it. would like splatter house repro ,i see a lot of people doing that & i know its a little harder to make then some. maybe a hack of mario & maybe a hack of buck o'hare. maybe a hack of Keroppi to Keroriinu no Splash Bomb! NES

Edited: 07/25/2010 at 05:11 PM by casperdj777

Jul 25, 2010 at 5:38:41 PM
ulasamosa (280)
(James Ulizza) < Bowser >
Ohio
most repros all float around $30ish and thats pretty common across the board. Anything less would be considered "cheap" I'd say.

Jul 25, 2010 at 5:49:15 PM
Herbalist (139)
(Bill Brasky) < King Solomon >
Wisconsin
If your goig to waste the time/money to put hacks on a cart, heed arch's advice and just buy a powerpak. For the price of 5 crappy graphical hacks you'll never play you could have an unlimited amount. Then when you get sick of one u have way more options.

Plus, powerpak is the de facto must-own NES gamer item!!!!!

Edited: 07/25/2010 at 05:49 PM by Herbalist

Jul 25, 2010 at 7:20:20 PM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: Herbalist

If your goig to waste the time/money to put hacks on a cart, heed arch's advice and just buy a powerpak. For the price of 5 crappy graphical hacks you'll never play you could have an unlimited amount. Then when you get sick of one u have way more options.

Plus, powerpak is the de facto must-own NES gamer item!!!!!

I say it's more of an issue about collecting regardless of if it is a hack or a repro. I want to own a copy and build my collection, not all hacks are bad, the Castlevania ones I've played are all very good and I think it's fun to play something new that's been redone, almost like it's the director's cut. I don't own a powerpak or any roms for that matter, because I want to have a physical copy of the thing I'm playing. That being said, I think Coinhaven is the most dependable and is the fastest shipper of all the repro sites, I love the CIBs he's done and all of his stuff is of excellent quality at good shipped prices. I can't recommend him enough.

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:53:09 PM
Mr.Nintendo (383)
(el- rocko) < King Solomon >
Alaska
^^^^^^^^ I second that, Coin Heaven Rocks

Gameboy Pirates "IS" My Thing

DONATE ALL SMB/DH CARTS TO PMA

DONATE ALL JURASSIC PARK CARTS TO KEVBOT  NOW ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:59:55 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

^^^ I wouldn't rag him too hard for that comment. I've been rubbed the wrong way by one of the repro makers early on and I would NEVER buy from them as a result. 

videogamekingdom.net

poor labels, bad ROMs, and took nearly 6 months for a replacement.

all the others (nesreproductions, gamereproductions, and thenesdump) are all A+ in my book and will all run you around $20-$25 per cart. gamereproductions does tend to be cheaper with lots, but it takes longer to ship.

Let's Go Penguins!

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:23:50 PM
casperdj777 (0)

(. .) < Meka Chicken >
United States
^thank you samspade.Not all hacks suck!not everyone doing ROM hacks do half assed pirated game hacks or nude mario crap. Some games you get bord with like how many times can you beat Castlevania & other nes games. If you change the player,the backgrounds ,level or text,its worth playing again. Sometimes its nice to have the on hardware. yeah the power pack is nice! but again its not about playing one time. its about saying hey check this game I made out & playing a new version of some game you beat 500 times. I have seen peple who have made "good" hacks but most sites wont post them unless its a bad hack.post links as "good to shop" or "bad" for people who may be looking for repros. also would be cool to know what repros you have.

Edited: 07/27/2010 at 03:15 PM by casperdj777

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:25:23 AM
Enslaved (106)
(Edd Showalter) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: dr.robbie

videogamekingdom.net

Aren't they out of business now?

Check out this really awesome WTB thread that I found, I heard this guy wants games at the cheapest rate possible!  Now on the look out for Unlicensed NES!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Jul 26, 2010 at 7:47:16 AM
Solariz (38)
(S A) < Meka Chicken >
Germany
Are there any obvious visual differences between the Repro "Stadium Events" they sell at thenesdump and the real thing?

Could be a bit fun to have one, just to freak out anyone checking out your collection (I guess the game isn't really playworthy in itself)

Collection Stats: (05. November 2016)

NES ---->  175          
SNES+SFC ---->  126

Jul 26, 2010 at 8:50:26 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: casperdj777

^thank you samspade.Not all hacks suck!not everyone doing rom hacks do half assed pirated game hacks or nude mario crap. Some games you get bord with like how many times can you beat Castlevania & other nes games. If you change the player,the backgrounds ,level or text,its worth playing again. Sometimes its nice to have the on hardware. yeah the power pack is nice! but again its not about playing one time. its about saying hey check this game I made out & playing a new version of some game you beat 500 times. I have seen peple who have made "good" hacks but most sites wont post them unless its a bad hack.post links as "good to shop" or "bad" for people who may be looking for repros. also would be cool to know what repros you have.

I'm not suggesting that hacks suck at all.  I've played MANY hacks, and quite a few really excellent ones.

But the thought that reproductions are collectible, or that having a dedicated reproduction cart is superior to having a PowerPak is ludicrous, and that attitude will drive you to the poor house

The only real upside, is that as long as you buy desirable reproductions, then you should be able to flip them quickly for within 10% of your original price, since you're offering them as available 2 weeks sooner than they can usually be made.

Jul 26, 2010 at 8:56:12 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
^ Well not everyone collects under the impression that their collection is guaranteed to appreciate in value. For example, I paid around $50 for a CIB N64 Glove which I'll never use and may not even get it's full value back should I sell. But I wanted it and $50 didn't seem too bad.

On the flip side, if you buy a repro for $30 and get 10 hours of play out of it, you still only paid $3 / hr for entertainment which isn't too bad. And it should still sell for at least $20-$25 if you did choose to sell, which would work to about $5 for "renting" the game and beating it.

So I do agree with your point that repros probably will never go up in value, but I certainly understand those who collect them. I mean tallguy collects Xmas lights and I wouldn't exactly say it's a ripe seller's market in that area

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:05:48 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: jonebone

So I do agree with your point that repros probably will never go up in value, but I certainly understand those who collect them. I mean tallguy collects Xmas lights and I wouldn't exactly say it's a ripe seller's market in that area

I don't mean it in the sense of appreciation or resale.

I mean it in the sense that there is virtually an unlimited amount of source material, anyone can make them, and practically speaking they should be about as collectible as pirate carts.

They're great games to play, but it's not like you can ever have a "complete set" of reproductions (unlike homebrews, where it's very attainable to have a complete set, and each one represents unique original programming).

I guess I view like collecting CD's or DVD's...you can NEVER come close to having even a double-digit fraction of the media library, so why bother "collecting" them.  Unlike CD's or DVD's where you have to buy the movie/music to have a legal copy, reproductions are ALWAYS illegal, so why pretend to have a legit copy in the first place, and just play it on the PowerPak.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:21:49 AM
jonebone (554)
Maryland

They're great games to play, but it's not like you can ever have a "complete set" of reproductions (unlike homebrews, where it's very attainable to have a complete set, and each one represents unique original programming).

I guess I view like collecting CD's or DVD's...you can NEVER come close to having even a double-digit fraction of the media library, so why bother "collecting" them.  Unlike CD's or DVD's where you have to buy the movie/music to have a legal copy, reproductions are ALWAYS illegal, so why pretend to have a legit copy in the first place, and just play it on the PowerPak.

Well, once again, you are falsely assuming that everyone is a completionist collector.  Sure I can't get every CD known to man but maybe I can get every Eminem CD.  Sure I can't get every DVD known to man but maybe I can get every DVD with Arnold Schwarzenegger.  Maybe I just want all of the known NES hacks / repros of the Castlevania series.

Collectors often have specific wants, not everyone is a completionist.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:27:20 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Well, once again, you are falsely assuming that everyone is a completionist collector.  Sure I can't get every CD known to man but maybe I can get every Eminem CD.  Sure I can't get every DVD known to man but maybe I can get every DVD with Arnold Schwarzenegger.  Maybe I just want all of the known NES hacks / repros of the Castlevania series.

Are you just grasping for arguments today?

Things that can be readily generated in arbitrary quantity, at any point in the future, just aren't collectible, in my book.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:35:32 AM
jonebone (554)
Maryland

Things that can be readily generated in arbitrary quantity, at any point in the future, just aren't collectible, in my book.

Look, I tried to politely tell you that some people collect what they want, not what Arch perceives as a collectible.  You completely shitted on Spade's and Casper's opinions telling them that collecting repros are "ludicrious" and that they'd be "driven to the poor house".

But I forgot, talking to you is worse than a wall so you win yet again.  Repros are not collectible and everyone is wasting their time.  Congratulations on another successful derail.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:36:32 AM
Battymo (100)
(Scrubb'n Nutz) < King Solomon >
Nova Scotia

Look, I tried to politely tell you that some people collect what they want, not what Arch perceives as a collectible.  You completely shitted on Spade's and Casper's opinions telling them that collecting repros are "ludicrious" and that they'd be "driven to the poor house".

But I forgot, talking to you is worse than a wall so you win yet again.  Repros are not collectible and everyone is wasting their time.  Congratulations on another successful derail.

Collecting Repros sure beats collecting Eminem CDs!

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:45:54 PM
Enslaved (106)
(Edd Showalter) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: Solariz

Are there any obvious visual differences between the Repro "Stadium Events" they sell at thenesdump and the real thing?

Could be a bit fun to have one, just to freak out anyone checking out your collection (I guess the game isn't really playworthy in itself)

Yes.  The one that coinheaven makes (TheNESDump) is the PAL version sticker, and has the words "reproduction cart" printed on the bottom of it.

Check out this really awesome WTB thread that I found, I heard this guy wants games at the cheapest rate possible!  Now on the look out for Unlicensed NES!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Jul 26, 2010 at 7:45:28 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
the only cheep repo is when a bird is repossessed.

a cheep repro is when you port "bird week" to the NES.

a cheap repo is when their tow truck breaks down.

a cheap repro is around $30- i prefer http://gamereproductions.com/... even though his turn around is getting slower.

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Jul 27, 2010 at 1:08:19 AM
casperdj777 (0)

(. .) < Meka Chicken >
United States
^screw that guys site! cheep but..yeah i don't like that 1!who is he on here?  
Get a power pack or go to the poor house.Thats like saying why buy games at all?? your get them free on the net.why buy  cds  ? there free on the net.why by books or anything these days there free on the net.Why not just buy a computer.Resell is crap so why not just get it all free off the net.

Edited: 07/27/2010 at 03:13 PM by casperdj777

Jul 27, 2010 at 1:35:33 AM
removed-07-06-2016 (214)

< Bowser >
Other
I've used both gamereproductions.com and thenesdump.com for my repros. Coinheaven (thenesdump) definately has better quality repros and waaaaaay faster turnaround times. That said, he only works on NES repros, and so I've used gamereproductions to pick up my SNES repros.

Also, arch's whole argument is full of crap. Yes, the Powerpak may be "cheaper", but that isn't what the OP asked. Neither is the legality nor collectibility of them being questioned. I for one do not own a Powerpak, nor do I ever intend to own one (sorry Brian).

If anything, I would like to put forth the hypothesis that reproductions thrive because they create a sense of ownership (legal or otherwise). I don't know anybody that feels comfortable getting behind the idea of "owning" digital content nowadays with the proliferation of DRM and DMCA (if I'm getting my acronyms right). Everything digital is rented, borrowed, licensed, but never owned. Not to mention if you have a computer glitch, an internet glitch, or even just a stubborn flash card, OOPS there goes your bajillion games. Having a game on the physical media it was intended for simulates that nostalgic feel for many players that they had when they bought carts in the good ol' days. If I want to play Zelda Outlands, I want to throw up a little suspension of disbelief and act like Nintendo just did a mindfuck on me and whoa there's a new Zelda game!! I gotta try that one, geewiz.

And by the way, for some people like myself, I DO consider them collectible. While they may not be unique in the sense that they are reproducible infinitely, as jonebone pointed out some people consider them worthwhile along particular series lines. I personally collect hack repros and pirates of Mega Man games. I don't need them to be limited in quantity to desire owning it, but I like to consider them part of the extended set of Mega Man game fandom that produced additional challenges for gamers to try and conquer with the settings and characters they love.

Also, pirate carts are collectible. Drop by Famicom World sometime and ask about the Super Mario World FC hack on the JY 45-1 cart. There's one guy who has a $200 standing offer on a copy right now, and he still hasn't landed one that I'm aware. If we're going by value, sounds to me like it's more collectible than that Clayfighter Sculpter's Cut manual that was recently being debated about.

So yeah. Screw what you consider collectible jerk. Who are you to tell people what they should and shouldn't consider worth collecting?!

Edited: 07/27/2010 at 03:29 AM by removed-07-06-2016

Jul 27, 2010 at 1:43:18 AM
removed-07-06-2016 (214)

< Bowser >
Other
Also, labels are damn cool. Try putting 50 different Mario hack labels on a flash card and get back to me. Do flash cards look cool on your shelf when you're done playing them? Let's compare your stack of 10 flash cards to my stack of 10 repros and throw up a poll to see which looks cooler.  Hell, even Nintendo thinks flash cards look like shit which is why DS games come in cases that are way more oversized than their contents. They just grab the eye better on a shelf (for them - marketing, for us - collectible desirability).

Jerk.

Edited: 07/27/2010 at 03:29 AM by removed-07-06-2016