Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Yellow cart Mario/duck hunt Picked it up in a lot of games purchased.

Aug 25, 2013 at 3:52:11 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
I know someone who worked in NOA repair department, and he had access to any of the carts/labels/boards he wanted. They had all the normal test carts too but never used them. Could easily be something an employee made as a one off.

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:26:39 PM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Nice! Another one-of-a-kind game needed for a Nintendo NTSC full set.

edit:  With the gold Duck Tales cart and now this, 2013 sure has been a bad year for people who thought they had a full set of NES games.

On another note, yeah this is a test cart and seeing from what some others have said, if it were custom made, then it is probably very rare.  Good find!

-------------------------
-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Edited: 08/25/2013 at 11:28 PM by fcgamer

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:41:20 PM
rickrollcollector (133)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Originally posted by: DarkTone

Looks great. And people said SMB/DH carts were cheap!

Now you won't have come back when random lady at the yard sale will say "Hey, dont your rip me off I saw those SMB/DH on ebay going for craze prices"

Everything what I was told about Communism was a lie and everything about Capitalism was the truth.

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:17:52 AM
Mrdouin (0)

(Matt Douin) < Cherub >
Washington
So I have some pretty bad news. The guy that sold the lot of games texted me this morning and said it was an accident and that he didn't mean for that game to be in the lot. I hummed and hawed over it because the Craigslist add even had the yellow cart in the picture. He said his family fell on hard times and he had to sell some stuff but there were certain items he was saving for his boy and that cart was one of them. I felt horrible and let him know that I had already been offered $500 for the game, but I didn't want to be that guy. So he said he'd trade some games and cash to get it back. So I sold back to him for $80 and mega man five. I still did get a great deal, because I bought a top loader with 77 games and an official Nintendo storage unit for controllers, gun, and games for 120. It was tough but I felt like I had to do the right thing. So I got a great deal still and he got that extremely rare game back. What goes around comes around though. I did point him to this forum so hopefully he pops in and makes it available to those who are interested. Thanks everyone for all the great response I received on this forum. I have the guys number if you are interested and want to make him an offer on it pm me.

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:23:14 AM
vcube1234 (31)
< Kraid Killer >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Mrdouin

So I have some pretty bad news. The guy that sold the lot of games texted me this morning and said it was an accident and that he didn't mean for that game to be in the lot. I hummed and hawed over it because the Craigslist add even had the yellow cart in the picture. He said his family fell on hard times and he had to sell some stuff but there were certain items he was saving for his boy and that cart was one of them. I felt horrible and let him know that I had already been offered $500 for the game, but I didn't want to be that guy. So he said he'd trade some games and cash to get it back. So I sold back to him for $80 and mega man five. I still did get a great deal, because I bought a top loader with 77 games and an official Nintendo storage unit for controllers, gun, and games for 120. It was tough but I felt like I had to do the right thing. So I got a great deal still and he got that extremely rare game back. What goes around comes around though. I did point him to this forum so hopefully he pops in and makes it available to those who are interested. Thanks everyone for all the great response I received on this forum. I have the guys number if you are interested and want to make him an offer on it pm me.

If that guy was telling the truth, you did a really good thing that you didn't even have to do as it was his fault. If he, however, was lying, then he is a scumbag who deserves to be screwed over

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:28:47 AM
Mrdouin (0)

(Matt Douin) < Cherub >
Washington
Yeah it was a really tough decision. If it were me and I did that on accident I would have felt horrible. I didn't want any of that on my conscious. Hopefully what goes around does come around and some sweet stuff will fall in my lap again.

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:43:09 AM
8bitgreatNES (0)

(Yeeeeaaaaah budy ) < Crack Trooper >
New Jersey
Your a better man than I. "Yellow Cart? What yellow cart?"

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:53:43 AM
Holy-SNES (47)
(Almost there :D) < Meka Chicken >
Victoria
For sure this guy has seen this thread

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:55:36 AM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Amazing oddity, conscience or not unless I saw a pink slip and mounting debt in print that wouldn't have been returned as there are far too many profiteers in gaming today to take most people's word and so stories at face value. That was nice of you, hope it was the truth.

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:03:40 AM
ihavethatpma (324)
(Doombutt Jazzmouth) < Bowser >
Washington
You dun goofed. He's going to be rolling in all the Nigerian ding dongs now instead of you. Nice find, even though it was short lived.

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:10:45 AM
fdisk (1)

(Eric Mathison) < Eggplant Wizard >
Arizona
i dont think i would have gave it back prolly just changed my phone number props to you though

Edited: 08/26/2013 at 01:11 AM by fdisk

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:38:37 AM
Gamer Geek Nation (0)
(DVR from Gamer Geek Nation) < Cherub >
Texas
Great find but that's too bad! Owell Good Karma! I just saw this picture posted up on Gamer Geek Nation so i came here to check it out.
I was going to tell your buddy to come here and post a pic but i see you already did.

Hey Nintendo Age friends, check out Gamer Geek Nation
Some of your collections our featured on the page.
And yes! Full credit to the all owners.
Give us a "LIKE" and check it out!

www.facebook.com/GamerGeekNation...

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:49:24 AM
Enslaved (106)
(Edd Showalter) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Darma has a special place for people like you. You did a great thing letting that go back over an honest mistake on his part. Major props to you :-)

Check out this really awesome WTB thread that I found, I heard this guy wants games at the cheapest rate possible!  Now on the look out for Unlicensed NES!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:53:18 AM
Maertens29 (61)
< Lolo Lord >
Saskatchewan
Definitely would not have given it back, I'm tired of hearing people's stories and empathy is not a huge virtue with me.

I do hope it ended up being real since you did give it back.

I'm looking for a mint, factory sealed Dragon Ball Advanced for gameboy advance, let me know!

Aug 26, 2013 at 4:18:48 AM
steven78 (118)
(--- ) < Kraid Killer >
Netherlands
or he already have seen this topic and made a excuse to get it back?

3195A ROCKS  & Wanted List

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:13:51 AM
Holy-SNES (47)
(Almost there :D) < Meka Chicken >
Victoria
I call BS on the story and I'm even starting to doubt this story too.
Nobody sell a Top Loader with ctrls and Zapper, a storage case and 77 games for $120, and at the same time, understand that this cart stands out as a rarity which would potentially be worth money in the future. Oh, but accidentally slipped it in by mistake yeah?!
Fell into hardship, holding it for his boy... What a BS story!
Maybe this whole thing is BS?
What if this is just some repro that was made and you've just come here to get it known that it 'exists' so you can offload it in the future for some 'real' coin?
I dunno, both these stories sound fishy to me!

Aug 26, 2013 at 9:59:30 AM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
Originally posted by: Holy-SNES

Nobody sell a Top Loader with ctrls and Zapper, a storage case and 77 games for $120, and at the same time, understand that this cart stands out as a rarity which would potentially be worth money in the future. Oh, but accidentally slipped it in by mistake yeah?!
What if this is just some repro that was made and you've just come here to get it known that it 'exists' so you can offload it in the future for some 'real' coin?

I call BS on your BS. Your calling of BS sounds fishy. No one calls BS unless the BS is really some BS. The whole thing stinks like yesterday's diaper!

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:19:25 AM
suzukirider89 (1)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: Holy-SNES

Damn why don't you just set up forensics, ask the mods for his ip, somehow track down where he is at, sleep with his wife ( got to make sure she's not fishy ), grab the cart, and open it up. Unless you're.. Scared.

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:18:34 PM
Mrdouin (0)

(Matt Douin) < Cherub >
Washington
Wow, you can't blame the skeptics this day and age, but I promise you it was real. I even have a screenshot of the ad on Craigslist because I wanted to show my buddy. He originally posted the lot for $100 Obo I was on my way and he kept telling me that people were offering more but he wanted to do me a favor because I already was driving all the way out to pick it up. So he sold it all for $200. It was real. It does suck. It practically made my weekend Saturday evening and ruined it Sunday morning.

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:21:12 PM
recycledgamer (1)
(Chuck Gamer) < Little Mac >
Oregon
Hi all. This is Chuck with the Portland Retro Gaming Expo. The original owner of the cart who now has possession of it again reached out to us through our web site today. I spent some time on the phone with the gentleman trying to get some provenance on the cart.

He walked me through the whole story of how he sold it on CL and got it back after he found out what it might be. I tend to have a sensitive BS detector, but the guy seemed fairly genuine in his story. He certainly wants to sell the game and maximize his return, but I don't think there is anything nefarious going on other than what he said: he is on some tough financial times and needs the money.

He says he and his wife both had NES systems when they were married and combined their stuff. They are not sure where the yellow cart came from, but his wife thinks she may have received it from a cousin. They live in the Redmond area so it is certainly not impossible that the cart came from a Nintendo employee.

He told me he had called a retro game store in the Seattle area and was going to have them examine it and try to establish its legitimacy. I called the owner of said store (who I already know and trust) to tell him the guy is heading over and to share what I learned. He acknowledged that the cart owner had already called in and shared some of the story.

Obviously I would love for the cart to be sold in the PRGE auction if it is legit. That said, I gave the guy several possible options for selling it and told him he would have to decide on his own what to do. I suggested eBay, Game Gavel, selling it to a game store and the PRGE auction and gave the pros and cons of each. I also set his expectations that the cart could just be a production SMB stuck inside a reproduction cartridge shell and would be worth almost nothing.

At this point I'm out of the matter unless he wants to sell it at PRGE in which case we will simply facilitate the sale for him. For the record, I am personally not interested in purchasing the cart.

Chuck

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:28:00 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Originally posted by: Penguin

Most likely it was just assembled at a Service Center using a replacement label and shell. There's no record in any of the binders I have for this cartridge. These parts were available to any service center and they could have easily made a yellow test cart of almost any game. Very cool find thou, def one of a kind!

Thanks for checking the binders.

very interesting info....

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:34:43 PM
rhetoric614 (51)
(rhetoric 614) < Lolo Lord >
British Columbia

Originally posted by: Mrdouin

He said his family fell on hard times and he had to sell some stuff but there were certain items he was saving for his boy and that cart was one of them.

Originally posted by: recycledgamer

He certainly wants to sell the game and maximize his return, but I don't think there is anything nefarious going on other than what he said: he is on some tough financial times and needs the money.

Hmmmmm

Edited: 08/26/2013 at 03:36 PM by rhetoric614

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:37:27 PM
Myriad of Caltrons (4)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Just Guess ) < Crack Trooper >
United States
I have never seen so much interest in a super mario/duck hunt cart.

Searching for Little Samson. I will find you.                                                                                                                                          Top wants:Little samson, Flintsones 2, star fox super weekend, Earthboundm and Sculptors cut.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  If anyone owns a game store and has rares. If you are willing to trade for lots of commons please pm me.                                                                                

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:39:05 PM
Everharm (176)
(Michael Everhart) < El Ripper >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: recycledgamer

Hi all. This is Chuck with the Portland Retro Gaming Expo. The original owner of the cart who now has possession of it again reached out to us through our web site today. I spent some time on the phone with the gentleman trying to get some provenance on the cart.

He walked me through the whole story of how he sold it on CL and got it back after he found out what it might be. I tend to have a sensitive BS detector, but the guy seemed fairly genuine in his story. He certainly wants to sell the game and maximize his return, but I don't think there is anything nefarious going on other than what he said: he is on some tough financial times and needs the money.

I highlighted the key parts.

So his keeping it for his son story is BS. 
He found out what it was after he sold it. (next time do you homework)

I hope Mrdouin gets smiled upon my the video game finder gods, for his generocity.

I am in the camp that would not have given it back.   Do your homework buddy.

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:41:20 PM
ihavethatpma (324)
(Doombutt Jazzmouth) < Bowser >
Washington
I friggin knew it, people make up sob stories all the time like that. Good news is that I'll be at PRGE, so hopefully it ends up being in the auction.