Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

PekoTAS shops for Boxed Game Boy Color Games (Again)

Jul 10, 2016 at 3:22:58 AM
PekoponGB (16)
(Brian ) < El Ripper >
British Columbia
I'm not sure why I felt the need to lock my old thread and start it all over again, but for some reason I did. Part of it was because I wasn't happy about how I prattled on about the cost of the games so much, and talked very little about the actual games. I also felt it was too much of a "here's my collection" thread, and less about new additions to the collection. For this revived version of the thread, I will not post my whole collection, and will just focus on new additions to it.

So what am I collecting you ask? Why it's boxed, black-cartridge-era Game Boy Colour games! Why am I doing something that oddly specific? Well partly because it's fairly easy to do right now, but also because I was curious about this awkward era of handheld gaming once I had played most of the games in the original Game Boy's library. I'm a video game enthusiast first and a collector second, so whatever I'm currently collecting for tends to be a system I know very little about. I have actually grown quite attached to this particular set of games though, as it really is an odd time in gaming history. Console games were still figuring out how to design games in 3-D, and the handheld market was struggling to keep up with modern times and give us the next big upgrade. It floundered around with the Game Boy Colour for roughly three years before giving us the Game Boy Advance, and I've been finding these games rather interesting as a handheld video game fan.

I've already obtained a lot of the "good" games from this meager selection, but there are still plenty I'm missing. I'm not aiming to collect every single one of these black cartridge games, but I want to have as much fun with it as I can before it gets down to only lousy games and super hard to find ones.

Speaking of lousy games, here are a few new additions to the collection!

Pocket Bomberman: Price: $35.00
Klustar: Price: $17.00
Wrestlemania 2000: Price: $5.00
Toy Story 2: Price: $5.00

Hudson had about six different attempts to bring Bomberman to Game Boy, all with some weird gimmick attached to them.
  • There was "Atomic Punk" which was about Bomberman and his son, "Atomic Punk".
  • There was "Wario Blast! Featuring Bomberman" Which was basically Bomberman with Wario in it
  • There was "Bomberman GB" which I've never played, but has him in an indiana jones outfit on the cover...
  • There was "Blaster Master Boy" which was actually a RoboWarrior game... (Which Wikipedia claims to be a spinoff to Bomberman)
  • There was "Bomberman Quest" which combined elements of Link's Awakening with Bomberman...
  • And lastly there was "Pocket Bomberman" which was a Bomberman game with more of a focus on platforming...
Of these many attempts, Pocket Bomberman is actually my favourite one as it still feels like a Bomberman game, and it's pretty fun. It's not what anyone would consider "difficult", but it's a pretty cute game that kills some time. It also has a pretty great final boss, because it's basically the same style as the other bosses, but does trickier stuff, and takes more hits to knock out. It's a really satisfying end boss without having to get all overdramatic about it, and that's a big part of the game's charm for me. It's just a fun romp. If you're into GBC, I'd recommend it. If you're a fan of anything else, you'll probably find it lame. XD

Speaking of lame, I also got Klustar! It's a game so barebones and simplistic that it feels like the early days of crappy homebrew games. That being said, it's a pretty fun game, and noteworthy for being the game that Nintendo ripped off for the Metroid mode in Tetris DS! Of course when Nintendo rips something off they tend to improve it, and that's exactly what they did in Tetris DS. Yet as someone who played a lot of that game, I'm proud to own a copy of the game that inspired it.

For those curious about playing it, I warn you there's only one musical track option, and it only changes if you play a round long enough. Hope you like Home on the Range!

Speaking of cowboys, Toy Story 2 is an absolutely terrible game with the world's worst jumping mechanics, and while I do intend to play and finish it at least once, it will probably ONLY be once.

Wrestlemania 2000 is a game I've been trying to get into, but the insane amount of button combonations makes it fairly intimidating. While on the surface this appears to be a piece of crap wrestling game, it was actually made by Natsume! It certainly has the audio of a Natsume game, but is missing the visual polish and quality of play levels of a Natsume game. I'll give it more of a chance later on, but for now I gotta finish Metal Walker since I left that game about halfway through it.

This forum post was made possible through the power of the segue.

-------------------------
"Do Not Give Energy to the Life Core!"

Edited: 07/10/2016 at 03:29 AM by PekoponGB