Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

game troubleshooting

Mar 16, 2007 at 7:27:15 PM
Gamefreak (1)
(Clint Shelton) < Crack Trooper >
California
I have a game that I just can't get to work. I've cleaned the hell out of the connectors, opened up the game and inspected the inside and everything looks to be in good working order. Any suggestions?

BTW, this is no ordainary game, it's DW4. I picked it up from my local Gamecrazy for a whopping three bucks! (suckers) Even if the game is shot, the cartridge itself is in pretty good shape, and thats worth three bucks easy

-------------------------
up up, down down, left right left right, B A, Start

Everything in the universe revolves around this code.

Mar 16, 2007 at 7:43:52 PM
BootGod (16)
(Mark Lacey) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota
what have you tried using on the contacts? Alcohol is worthless IMO, you should try something like that Weiman's glass cooktop cleaner. It's possible that there may be a loose solder joint somewhere, although I've only seen that happen on lower-quality unlicensed boards.

Mar 16, 2007 at 7:59:46 PM
Gamefreak (1)
(Clint Shelton) < Crack Trooper >
California
I'm using 90% alcohol but I don't think the contacts are dirty. Upon futher inspection, some of the contacts appear to be worn. Doubt there is a way to fix that...or is there? I'm pretty sure the game is shot. I messed with it for an hour and kept getting a gray non-flashing screen. It's rare that I can't get a game to work, and I've seen some dirty-ass games in my travels

But it is DW4, so I'm not giving up without a good fight.

up up, down down, left right left right, B A, Start

Everything in the universe revolves around this code.

Mar 16, 2007 at 8:02:36 PM
burdger (152)
(Ross Burdge) < Bowser >
Ohio
Go buy some Weiman's Glass Cooktop Cleaner. It works wonders.

Mar 16, 2007 at 8:19:18 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
It it worn, or is it actual corrosion? They're pretty tough but after years of a person blowing into it the moisture may have finally formed a patina, like the green stuff on Lady Liberty. The only way to get rid of that is with a scouring pad. Even a worn connector will still transmit a signal unless a trace is cut. Unscrew the thing, see if something comes off by gentling using a scraping tool like a knife edge. If they're all shiny and coppery but just worn, then use a circuit tester (under $10, from most places you get auto parts, it's a metal probe with a light bulb, battery, and alligator clip) on each trace and see if any won't transmit. If they're worn down from someone previously using a scouring pad a little too overzealously, using a tighter connector like a Game Genie, a new 72-pin connector, etc. might help you get it to work.

Mar 16, 2007 at 9:57:19 PM
wrldstrman (107)
(doug prickett) < Master Higgins >
West Virginia
could be a pal copy would explain why it doesnt work

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

Mar 16, 2007 at 10:14:39 PM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
I usually take the thing apart and scrub it with some alcohol and a scotch brite pad. After that just clean it like you normally would then give it a shot.. Ive only had one cart that this hasn't worked with....

Edited: 03/16/2007 at 10:15 PM by Hogie1418

Mar 16, 2007 at 10:15:22 PM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
My own little trick is a #2 pencil eraser.