Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Anyone know about this arcade cabinet? Really need some info if possible! Photo

Sep 10 at 4:44:14 PM
Flips_ (2)
(Jack Moriarty) < Crack Trooper >
United States
Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone knows anything about this arcade cabinet? It's a vintage 1988 Super Contra cabinet. Fully working - sound is good, monitor is good, controls are all in tact and responsive, coin operation works. The only thing is some cosmetic wear really, and the fact that the key for where the board goes is missing. It does have the key to retrieve the coins though. Thanks in advance for your help!

-------------------------
"...because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..."

Edited: 09/10/2019 at 05:19 PM by Flips_

Sep 10 at 11:55:50 PM
RpgCollector (128)
(Jeff Oconnell) < Kraid Killer >
California
That is a dedicated Super Contra. Last one I saw sell went for $600.

Down to the last 2 Sega Game Gear games I need for the CIB USA set. What I will pay for CIB:

Fantastic Dizzy -$300 & Sports Illustrated -$300

Sep 11 at 9:39:40 AM
SNESNESCUBE64 (42)
(Halloween Yoshi) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
So perhaps some hidden issues may be that even though the monitor works, it may need to be adjusted or needs a cap kit to get a good picture out of it. It looks a little rough on the bottom, overall it looks alright and if it works, it would be neat to have. No clue on price though...

Y-akuza
O-perations
S-ecure
H-is
I-ncome

Sep 11 at 10:22:15 AM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Are you buying or selling it?

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Sep 11 at 1:27:20 PM
imanerd0011 (20)
(. .) < El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: Flips_

Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone knows anything about this arcade cabinet? It's a vintage 1988 Super Contra cabinet. Fully working - sound is good, monitor is good, controls are all in tact and responsive, coin operation works. The only thing is some cosmetic wear really, and the fact that the key for where the board goes is missing. It does have the key to retrieve the coins though. Thanks in advance for your help!

It's a dedicated Super Contra.  The fact that the key for the backdoor is missing is not a big deal at all.  You can "drill out" the lock and buy a new one on a number of arcade websites for less than $3.

It's hard to tell the condition of the cabinet from that one picture, but the bottom does look kinda rough.  I personally don't care about damage like that, as long as it's not water damage, as that usually damages other parts of the cab as well.  

Overall it looks pretty nice, why are you asking anyway? I'd pay $400 without even thinking about it.  

Sep 11 at 10:49:28 PM
Flips_ (2)
United States
Hey everyone thanks for the responses, much appreciated. So yes, the bottom seems the worst of it, but not too bad. It doesn't look like water damage to me, however to be honest I really don't know what its from. I bought it at a yardsale from an older gentleman that told me his kids grew up and just didn't want it. He said back in the day an arcade shut down and he grabbed it for his kids. they played it, then it sat in a garage, and now it's mine. It's dusty but I think once I clean it up it'll look pretty nice. It seems like there's not a lot of info in it, and to be honest I got it on impulse because of what it was. Better safe than sorry right? So I'm not saying no to selling it or anything, just kinda seeing what people know and if there's even any interest!

"...because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..."

Sep 12 at 1:02:38 AM
SNESNESCUBE64 (42)
(Halloween Yoshi) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
The cabinet overall looks to be in alright shape, based one the single picture, it doesn't look too bad. Definately a survivor cabinet. Anyway, I would just make sure everything is electrically fine. Like I said in the previous post, monitor might need some help, but since you said it works, you could probably get away with leaving it alone. Also, check the power supply before you use it too much. Make sure that all the voltages are within spec, otherwise replace it with a quality switching power supply (or rebuild it if you want). At least check the power supply, it may work but it if out of spec, it could prematurely kill your game, creating all sorts of headache. I attached the service manual in case you want it.

Service Manual: https://archive.org/details/ArcadeGameManualSupercontra

Definately a neat looking cabinet!

Y-akuza
O-perations
S-ecure
H-is
I-ncome

Oct 13 at 2:49:38 PM
Flips_ (2)
United States
Hey everyone! So.... my wife is not happy about me getting this thing. its been sitting and taking up space.... it was definitely an impulse buy, even though its super awesome. is there anyone interested in purchasing this thing and taking it off my hands? just kind of need to get it gone... Thanks for all the help and interest!

Oct 13 at 2:50:16 PM
Flips_ (2)
United States
Well....now I'm selling it friend. wife got mad at me for buying it haha. interested?  

Oct 13 at 3:33:26 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
lol, tough luck...
Where are you located?

Oct 15 at 5:02:25 AM
romiked2689 (60)
< Lolo Lord >
Maryland
Originally posted by: Flips_

Well....now I'm selling it friend. wife got mad at me for buying it haha. interested?  

Lol this changed very quickly. Put her in her place and buy another! Also go bigger