Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Retron 5 Does anyone know when the Retron 5 will be released?

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:33:22 AM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Automatic lag test can't show the delays from the controller/emulator/gpu, so it can't be used to compare retron to original console. It can only show tv instead of the complete chain.

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:39:51 AM
NickTLG (48)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois
On the Samurai Kirby minigame in Kirby Super Star, my friends and I were able to get it down to about 17ms reaction time. That's about how fast I was able to get it on the SNES on a CRT too so if there's a difference in input lag, it's so negligible it's trivial (on the right HDTV, anyway).

-------------------------
Instagram
Wishlist

Edited: 04/09/2015 at 11:40 AM by NickTLG

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:51:33 AM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
You should use punch out and see how much lag there is between when you press the button and you start to throw a punch. I wanna see if anyone gets sub-15 while measuring that.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:54:06 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
I did some tests with my Actual TV, and was able to get it down to around 3-4 frames consistantly(average over like 20 tests), which says 46-64ms, which was around 1/20 of a second. I had to change my TV to see my HDMI input as a computer screen, and of course remember to set it to Gamemode. Ill try the Kirby minigame soon as I unlock it. Ill do it with a real NES and the Retron.

Edited: 04/09/2015 at 02:55 PM by Oddzball

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:15:09 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: stardust4ever

Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Originally posted by: Oddzball

with maybe one 2-4 thrown in because I was slow
That shows how much it is measuring you instead of the system  
Try the gun minigame on Kirby's Adventure. It displays your reaction time. I could consistently get .13 seconds on a CRT. You need .15 or better to beat the boss. On the Wii-U Gamepad, I consistently got .16 and I had to save state and get lucky before I finally beat him. That looks like around 30ms to me, very close to two frames (~33ms). I assume the emulator uses a framebuffer, plus the 16ms lag measured by Nintendo on the Gamepad.

That SNES test thing could be useful to measure your own reaction time on a real SNES with a CRT using a flash cart of some type. Do like 5 trials, you should get close to the same results if you focus and your reaction speed is consistent. Average this result. That is your personal reaction time. It's a summation of the lag between when your eyes see the screen to your brain processes the info and sends an impulse to the muscles in your fingers. Assuming you are drug free, alert, and focused, your reaction time doesn't change much. Caffiene may raise your reaction speed slightly; alcohol or sleep deprivation will reduce it considerably.

Run the Retron5 with your preferred setup, once for the SNES controller and once for the wireless controller. Both times to trials of 5 reps, making sure they are not wildly varied. Now subtract your real console / CRT average from the Retron5 average to get the true lag on the system, rounded off to the nearest frame.

Alright. Interesting factoid. I did the test with the samuria game from Kirby Super Star. I tried this on my SNES and the Retron 5 about 10 times. My lowest "number" from that game On the Retron 5 was a 15(Was able to beat King DD) with an average of 17.2. The SNES average was pretty much the same (17.4) although I didnt manage to get lucky and beat DD, ironically, on the real system. Both were pretty much the same with the highest score being 19, and the lowest the one time I beat DD at 15.

The bluetooth controller literally the best I could do was 19, which pretty much made it impossible to beat King DD. the bluetooh was actually the most consistant though, with 9x 19s and 1 20.

Oh I should note, I was not able to beat metaknight.

Edited: 04/09/2015 at 03:26 PM by Oddzball

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:36:10 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
On my Gaming LCD my scores were consistently lower with a 12x2 13x5 15x2 and a single 16 for an average of 13.5. So there was a considerable difference on the 5ms screen versus the TV.

All in all though, I can honestly say that if the Retron 5 adds input lag, at least at my age and reflexes, I cannot notice it. The only thing about the Retron 5 that I could perceivable test and see a consistently increase of lag was the controller, although I hesitate to say I could actually "feel" the lag Im sure its enough to make things like the kirby minigames and Punchout unbeatable. I would test punchout, but Ive honestly never been very good at it, and have never actually beat it anyway.

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:34:30 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana

On my Gaming LCD my scores were consistently lower with a 12x2 13x5 15x2 and a single 16 for an average of 13.5. So there was a considerable difference on the 5ms screen versus the TV.

All in all though, I can honestly say that if the Retron 5 adds input lag, at least at my age and reflexes, I cannot notice it. The only thing about the Retron 5 that I could perceivable test and see a consistently increase of lag was the controller, although I hesitate to say I could actually "feel" the lag Im sure its enough to make things like the kirby minigames and Punchout unbeatable. I would test punchout, but Ive honestly never been very good at it, and have never actually beat it anyway.
My friend and I played Mike Tyson's Punchout using my NES and bedroom CRT. There were 9 Game Genie codes in the manual. I own 3 Genies, but it made the graphics go FUBAR when I daisy-chained all three together so I could only do two Genies max. My friend tried varying combinations of 6 codes each to beat the Mike Tyson stage and couldn't do it, even with cheats. And he can regularly beat lesser bosses like Soda Popinski and King Hippo without the cheating. I can't play the game worth shit.

My reaction speed hasn't changed much in the past ten plus years since my early 20s since I started collecting NES. .13 seconds when I was 22, about the same in my 30s. I imagine it doesn't change too much although it may decrease as we age. Think old people driving. There's a lot more involved in gaming besides reaction time, namely memorizing patterns and such, which I suck at (Megaman series, grumble grumble...). If you can predict a boss'es movements before he stikes, you can dodge attacks every time, even without ninja reflexes.

Still, it would be interesting to see how ledgends like Thor or really anyone with world record Twin Galaxy high scores or Speed Demos Archive run times would perform on pure reaction speed tests.

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:38:20 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >

My friend and I played Mike Tyson's Punchout using my NES and bedroom CRT. There were 9 Game Genie codes in the manual. I own 3 Genies, but it made the graphics go FUBAR when I daisy-chained all three together so I could only do two Genies max. My friend tried varying combinations of 6 codes each to beat the Mike Tyson stage and couldn't do it, even with cheats. And he can regularly beat lesser bosses like Soda Popinski and King Hippo without the cheating. I can't play the game worth shit.

My reaction speed hasn't changed much in the past ten plus years since my early 20s since I started collecting NES. .13 seconds when I was 22, about the same in my 30s. I imagine it doesn't change too much although it may decrease as we age. Think old people driving. There's a lot more involved in gaming besides reaction time, namely memorizing patterns and such, which I suck at (Megaman series, grumble grumble...). If you can predict a boss'es movements before he stikes, you can dodge attacks every time, even without ninja reflexes.

Still, it would be interesting to see how ledgends like Thor or really anyone with world record Twin Galaxy high scores or Speed Demos Archive run times would perform on pure reaction speed tests.
The Kirby games are a bad judge though, since oyu can cheat and just press the button early, eventually you get lucky. I tried it later, and even on my slow TV i was able to get a 6 when i was cheating (IE just randomly pressing the button and happening to press it right after the !!! goes off)

Anyway, for what its worth, Im pretty impressed with the Retron 5 for what it is. If it played my everdrive it would be perfect, but since you can technically play roms, I suppose it isnt needed.

One other weird thing though, one of my SNES controllers it didnt recognize, and wouldnt work. The same controller works fine in my SNES, and is a actual SNES nintendo brand name one. I wonder why it doesnt work in the retron? SOme kind of weird hardware revision on that specific controller?

Edited: 04/09/2015 at 09:40 PM by Oddzball

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:13:02 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana

One other weird thing though, one of my SNES controllers it didnt recognize, and wouldnt work. The same controller works fine in my SNES, and is a actual SNES nintendo brand name one. I wonder why it doesnt work in the retron? SOme kind of weird hardware revision on that specific controller?

Was it the ASCII turbo controller? I've heard the Retron5 had issues with those.

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:15:47 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >

Was it the ASCII turbo controller? I've heard the Retron5 had issues with those.

Nope, regular old plain jane SNES controller.