Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

5th Issue of e-Zine!

Jan 1, 2008 at 1:42:04 AM
Quack (68)
(Quack Quack) < King Solomon >
Florida
What a great New Year's surprise! I can't wait to print it out and read it on the john tomorrow morning

-------------------------

Mr Penguin O4 (9:01:18 PM): Quackenguin
SnappleSTG (9:01:28 PM): Pengenbush

Swing by my YouTube channel for a visit, and sub up while you're there! :)

Jan 1, 2008 at 4:53:28 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Great job guys. NGD I enjoyed your article especially.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:01:49 AM
KennyB (14)
(No Go ogle result) < Eggplant Wizard >
Belgium
I've got a question concerning the sealed part:

If tengen had licensed games with the horizontal seam at the beginning, how come they didn't have them on the unlicensed ones ?
Was the sealing done by Nintendo itself ? Because if tengen had a installation for the licensed ones, they could easily used it for the unlicensed.

- Perhaps the games were made in a other location = other installation ?

Jan 1, 2008 at 11:17:55 AM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
KennyB I think it's always been assumed that when carts were produced in NOA company factories, they would also be boxed in the same location and put into their final cartons for shipment to retailers. It doesn't make sense to handle and package/repackage assembled parts multiple times, getting the parts into final product form at the facility is really what the process is all about.

So when Tengen decided to do their own thing, they lost access to the whole NOA factory and had to do it on their own, start to finish. If you'll also note, even the cardstock is different for Tengen unlicensed boxes vs. most licensed Nintendo boxes. All NOA from that time period are a lower-grade greyish pulp whereas Tengen uses a thinner but higher-grade bleached white stock. Some late-release livensed Nintendo games eventually used this as well but well after the Tengen debacle. Point being, another indication they were different facilities completely.

Jan 1, 2008 at 1:35:08 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: KennyB

I've got a question concerning the sealed part:

If tengen had licensed games with the horizontal seam at the beginning, how come they didn't have them on the unlicensed ones ?

As Dan said. They would have just lost their access to the NOA seal facility.

Its just common sense really - none of the unlicensed co's had access, so when tengen became unlicensed they would no longer have had access.

Besides, whatever the reason, the fact is that only their licensed games have the horizontal seam. Of that I am certain.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Jan 1, 2008 at 1:41:53 PM
Freedman (36)
(Harrison Freedman) < El Ripper >
Ontario
I liked it! Although maybe I'm a little bias for this issue tehehe

Nintendo Entertainment System
Now you're playing with power!

Jan 1, 2008 at 3:37:34 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
I haven't had a chance to read it cause today is a football day and I am not feeling so great. Looks great though from what I thumbed through. Great work to all the staff.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Jan 1, 2008 at 4:18:38 PM
Quack (68)
(Quack Quack) < King Solomon >
Florida
Gonna go give it a read on the porcelan throne.

Mr Penguin O4 (9:01:18 PM): Quackenguin
SnappleSTG (9:01:28 PM): Pengenbush

Swing by my YouTube channel for a visit, and sub up while you're there! :)

Jan 1, 2008 at 11:56:49 PM
NOFRIENDO-banned (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Chad Tukiendorf) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: NationalGameDepot

I haven't had a chance to read it cause today is a football day and I am not feeling so great. Looks great though from what I thumbed through. Great work to all the staff. ~~NGD

Drink too much Booze last night Jason?

Jan 2, 2008 at 4:14:13 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Just a tad
~~NGD

Jan 2, 2008 at 8:22:50 PM
UncleTusk (234)
(Wilfred Brimley) < King Solomon >
California
I love the ezine, makes for a good read at work, on the pot, wherever. I love getting this info. Its been really informative to me, love the factory sealed stuff and Dev stuff. Also love the random get to know this bloke section. Keep them coming guys.

NGD loved your article. Very fun, solid read.

I'll think of some suggestions. Maybe More articles. or shorter articles. The fun page was good this week.

Maybe a monthly contest to coincide with an article or something. Something like most points scored in double dribble half, maybe wins a basketball signed by bronty.

I don't know.

Love, Suckle Nut

PS. the Zineage saves lots of us embarassing Q's. So, thanks.

Only Brave Souls Click on the Tusk

Short and large run boxes, manuals, maps!  Give your Uncle a call!

Jan 2, 2008 at 8:27:29 PM
mb7241 (183)
(Matt B.) < Bowser >
Tennessee
I'm going to have to start printing these out, I think... Excellent read as always. And Bronty, I like the idea of you continuing the list of how games were sealed. NGD...very in-depth and informative article, I'm impressed. Same goes for BootGod. Keep up the good work .

Btw...I've been thinking of writing a random article or two...

Answering any and all questions related to video game collecting.  Guaranteed true and honest answers from a man with nearly 20 years in the community.  Prices for these answers vary depending on the question.  For all inquiries, please PM me.

Jan 2, 2008 at 10:09:06 PM
Zzap (47)
(James ) < King Solomon >
Australia
Great read guys! My favourite section is normally the obscure game review that wasn't in this issue, but NGD's article on Active Entertainment made up for it.

Keep up the good work!

Chunkout for iPhone, iPad and iTouch out now!
Chunkout Games: FaceBook | Web

Jan 2, 2008 at 10:47:42 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
cool, thanks for the feedback guys. mb7241 I encourage you to go ahead and do it.... pm dangevin if you want to go ahead.

Jan 2, 2008 at 10:49:05 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: UncleTusk

Something like most points scored in double dribble half, maybe wins a basketball signed by bronty.

lol Tusky! Basketball was always my favorite game, would have been cool to have been good enough to have people actually wanting that autograph

Maybe I can autograph some glossy 8 by 10s instead?

Edited: 01/02/2008 at 10:50 PM by Bronty

Jan 2, 2008 at 10:53:25 PM
bradley2679 (23)
(Brad Denney) < Meka Chicken >
Florida
Great issue guys.

Jan 2, 2008 at 11:34:52 PM
UncleTusk (234)
(Wilfred Brimley) < King Solomon >
California
If you didn't know I collect 8x10s of NA members. Signed ones are better, so if you're signing a one of a kind 8x10 of you, i'm doing everything to get that.

Maybe I'll try my hand at an article of something. tell kids how to print boxes or something. Or something else. A fictional story about NES. or something.

Only Brave Souls Click on the Tusk

Short and large run boxes, manuals, maps!  Give your Uncle a call!

Jan 3, 2008 at 12:14:28 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
How about an article about the rarity of 8 x 10 glossies of NA members??

Jan 3, 2008 at 1:27:38 AM
slicknixon (0)
(Justin Nixon) < Little Mac >
Pennsylvania
just printed out the new issue... and it's amazing. great articles!! NGD, the Active Ent. article blew me away in it's content... congrats to all those involved on a great start to the 2008 volume!

Edited: 01/03/2008 at 01:31 AM by slicknixon

Jan 3, 2008 at 1:39:52 AM
TN (73)
(TN TN) < El Ripper >
United States

I really enjoy the historical aspect of the NES so I really liked the Active company article by NGD.  Good stuff once again all around.

Jan 3, 2008 at 2:33:20 AM
mb7241 (183)
(Matt B.) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Bronty

cool, thanks for the feedback guys. mb7241 I encourage you to go ahead and do it.... pm dangevin if you want to go ahead.

Sent him a PM. Also, I actually found some inspiration and wrote an article already...took me 45 minutes...

Answering any and all questions related to video game collecting.  Guaranteed true and honest answers from a man with nearly 20 years in the community.  Prices for these answers vary depending on the question.  For all inquiries, please PM me.

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:18:48 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Glad to see you guys enjoyed the Active article. It took a lot of research and digging on that one.
~~NGD

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:33:42 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
I encourage everyone to write an article. Even if it's small, if it's worthwhile, it will be worked in.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:59:43 AM
jaredkk (57)
(Jared Klinger) < King Solomon >
New Jersey

Overall, great issue.  I feel alittle confused about Speedy's article.  On one hand, it was very well written, and very informative.  But it may have been TOO well written!  Now I'm worried its gonna cause more collectors to get into accessories, narrowing the pool of available accessories for me! 
That aside, great work Pieter.  I even saw 3 new accessories in there that I had to add to my ebay saved searches.  I look forward to your next article.

Jan 3, 2008 at 9:43:55 AM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Another great issue, keep up the great work everyone...

I look forward to reading these every time they come out....  I wish I had only saved the older issues..  Does anyone have any copies of the issue 1-4 so I can save them on my laptop?