Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2015 Weekly Contests Presents: Super Mario Bros. 3 Contest ends Sunday, 2/8/15 at 11 PM NA time ***HOMEBREW FIX IT FELIX JR WINNER: KHOG143***

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:18:10 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Naturally point pressing is allowed, this is a high score contest

-------------------------

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:21:36 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
I wasn't racking a lot I didn't know what the etiquette was. Scoring 700,000 by that stage in the game, it must be allowed with no limit.

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:29:51 AM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
With only one life, racking is definitely allowed with no limit. Mastering the most productive techniques will really make your run harder to perform as well.

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:50:29 AM
fatalfuryspecial (31)
(cool shooter spaceship) < El Ripper >
Texas
EDIT: Old score removed. New score posted.

Edited: 02/08/2015 at 01:22 PM by fatalfuryspecial

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:59:48 AM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Originally posted by: gutsman004

Originally posted by: guillavoie

You guys are right, once you die, you take a picture of your score

Couldn't agree more with Krunch, once you died, do not restart over instantly, keep on playing to get used to later stages so you know what's coming up next time. As long as you don't fall into pits, you can survive quite long with one life in this game if you keep getting the powerups that are everywhere.

Use the clock in your advantage, there's some stages where you can make a lot of points, and there's a lot of loophole in stages to take advantage of.

Want to elaborate

Point racking certain stages.

I know, but where? Or is racking even allowed?

Nice try Corey! 

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:15:57 AM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
Aw man, wish I had time to play this week. This game was a killer back in the 09 competition. I forget the exact time, but I think I spent over 4 hours on one game, beat every level, and beat the game without dying. Still proud of that

EDIT: It was 5 hours and 15 minutes. I had to look up the old thread:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Also, looks like I pointed out some good point racking techniques in there which might help some this go around.

Let's Go Penguins!

Edited: 02/02/2015 at 01:21 AM by dr.robbie

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:17:00 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Couldn't agree more with Krunch, once you died, do not restart over instantly, keep on playing to get used to later stages so you know what's coming up next time. As long as you don't fall into pits, you can survive quite long with one life in this game if you keep getting the powerups that are everywhere.

Use the clock in your advantage, there's some stages where you can make a lot of points, and there's a lot of loophole in stages to take advantage of.

Want to elaborate

Focus on the first two worlds. Specifically the first two stages of world 1.

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:18:46 AM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California

New Score:

He's my initial go at it. It has been a while since I've played SMB3. I have to say, I think this contest will be a great and fun way to get some time in on the NES games!

On the hunt for prototypes...

Eat, sleep, collect, repeat.
[ YouTube ]   [ Twitter ]   [ Blog ]   [ RF Generation ]   [ VGCollect ]   [ NA WTB

Edited: 02/07/2015 at 01:28 AM by ninjistar

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:24:05 AM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

At least I'll secure a participation point. F$&k around with Big Bass and he ate my ass.

LOL. I severly dislike that fish!  I popped him 3 or 4 times before he got me!  I kept getting eaten on my trial run last night

On the hunt for prototypes...

Eat, sleep, collect, repeat.
[ YouTube ]   [ Twitter ]   [ Blog ]   [ RF Generation ]   [ VGCollect ]   [ NA WTB

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:27:10 AM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Originally posted by: dr.robbie

Aw man, wish I had time to play this week. This game was a killer back in the 09 competition. I forget the exact time, but I think I spent over 4 hours on one game, beat every level, and beat the game without dying. Still proud of that

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&th...

Also, looks like I pointed out some good point racking techniques in there which might help some this go around.

That was an epic run for sure man! I'm still waiting for the return of Dr. Robbie in the weekly contest, this week could be perfect

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:31:40 AM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri

That was an epic run for sure man! I'm still waiting for the return of Dr. Robbie in the weekly contest, this week could be perfect

Man, I would love to, but free time is so scarce anymore. Buying a house and having kids really just destroys any time for video games :-\.

Let's Go Penguins!

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:32:29 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan

Man, I would love to, but free time is so scarce anymore. Buying a house and having kids really just destroys any time for video games :-\.

I too am hoping for a return of Dr. Robbie

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:33:06 AM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Completely understandable, I don't have kids yet and I'm struggling with free time all year long, I can imagined how everything gets ruined once the baby join the dance

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:42:04 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: ninjistar

At least I'll secure a participation point. F$&k around with Big Bass and he ate my ass.

LOL. I severly dislike that fish!  I popped him 3 or 4 times before he got me!  I kept getting eaten on my trial run last night

ya he is a mother, i need to stop messing around trying to get those coins and just pass the stage. 
plus i might want to reword my original statement lol YIKES! 

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:45:57 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

Want to elaborate

Focus on the first two worlds. Specifically the first two stages of world 1.
nice score guts, i was pillaging every stage. i could only collect 550,000 where you have 7.nice work. 

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:50:33 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

With only one life, racking is definitely allowed with no limit. Mastering the most productive techniques will really make your run harder to perform as well.

rite on. also i am only editing my original post when i post a new score. this is correct isnt it? 

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:56:26 AM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

rite on. also i am only editing my original post when i post a new score. this is correct isnt it? 

You can either edit your original post, or make a new one, but if you do the latter, I would recommend to remove the picture of your previous score. This way, it is easier when compiling scores.

Personally, I like when players make a new post with a new score OR edit the original and make a post to say that they just did 'x' score. When there's like 300 posts in a thread, it is quite a mess to go through each pages just to be aware of everyone's current score.

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:59:20 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

You can either edit your original post, or make a new one, but if you do the latter, I would recommend to remove the picture of your previous score. This way, it is easier when compiling scores.

Personally, I like when players make a new post with a new score OR edit the original and make a post to say that they just did 'x' score. When there's like 300 posts in a thread, it is quite a mess to go through each pages just to be aware of everyone's current score.

ok thank you. 
i just did 605020
lol

Feb 2, 2015 at 2:10:17 AM
Thundercat08 (9)
(Alicia G) < Meka Chicken >
United States
I am rusty. Going to have to play on my GBA untill I can get the time to sit in front of a TV. Going to wear my Tanooki jacket to be even more kickass as I play.

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:14:02 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
By the way,if anyone wants an easy way to post their score big and bold,just use h1 before your score and /h1 after it and put both inside the pointy brackets.

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:21:31 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
just posted 818,950

sorry im having trouble with the bold score :/

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:29:12 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
lol i just realized. guts you are on world four at the point of your score. i thought it was the pyramid in world 2.

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:35:12 AM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska

lol i just realized. guts you are on world four at the point of your score. i thought it was the pyramid in world 2.

LOL. Me too. It looks like the jump towards the end. My bad.

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:53:53 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Fluffy

Low score doesn't work well for this game, the clock gives too much points.

200,000 points is really nothing, you guys can make tons of points with one life!

Really nothing? ... I've never even beat the first world, on as many life's as you get. Participation is going to be a struggle this week, xD. Good luck everyone.
Learn to use the racoon tail to multi-jump sets of enemies.

Level 1-1, and 1-2 will get you WAY more than 200k pts on their own, if you pick the right clumps of enemies to kill.   (we coined the term "mudusco-method" a few years back in honor of a member that crushed an early Mario 3 competition, years ago)

Edited: 02/02/2015 at 10:02 AM by arch_8ngel

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:56:10 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Want to elaborate

Anywhere you can jump on a repeating series of opponents.

Think the Goomba-generator in Level 1-2...  stop short of getting the infinite 1-ups and just repeatedly point-rack.