Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Jumbo" T-206 Honus Wagner up for auction. Potential record breaking price?

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:15:34 PM
The Count (106)
(Grant X.) < Lolo Lord >
Minnesota
Anybody have a guess as to where this untrimmed grail will end? Currently at $1.37M with a week to go.

http://goldinauctions.com/LotDeta...

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily....

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:22:35 PM
Ipsylos (25)

(Nintendrone ) < King Solomon >
Ontario
And we sit here whining about high prices on video games XD

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:27:12 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
And this my friends is what makes our hobby still cheap ass cheap. Even our holiest of grails can only reach the 25 to 50k area.

-------------------------

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:31:22 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
This is "the" card of all baseball cards. But ironically enough, this is yet another great example of what hype can do to a price... the Wagner isn't even the rarest card in the T-206 set! There's some rare error variant that is next to impossible to find (forgive my ignorance on not knowing the name off the top of my head).

Should be fun to watch!

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:32:19 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Ipsylos

And we sit here whining about high prices on video games XD

Ah,the Stadium Events of sports cards....
Well,that card is over 100 years old. The oldest video game is what,40 years old? Maybe in a hundred years a sealed or mint cib Stadium Events will be at that price. Who knows....

I'm going to venture to say this will end around the $6 million mark. I've been out of the sports card hobby for over 15 years,so I may be way off,but something of this significance almost always breaks records in terms of what people pay for it. No clue what the current record is...$3.5mil? $4mil?

Edited: 03/29/2013 at 06:41 PM by gutsman004

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:45:58 PM
Ipsylos (25)

Ontario
I am curious about something, is there someone in the world with a complete baseball card collection from start to present (since it's still going on)?

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:47:26 PM
The Count (106)
(Grant X.) < Lolo Lord >
Minnesota
The only known Old Mill blue back Ed Walsh to exist recently was certified and graded. There was an "albino" Eddie Plank auctioned recently which is one of two known, I believe, to exist. The error cards of Sherry "Magee" Magie and Joe Doyle "Nat'l" along with the standard short printed Eddie Plank Sweet Caporal back are all rarer than the Wagner.

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:57:57 PM
palutz59 (44)
(Paul ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
Yeah that's a beauty right there. Someone filthy rich will pay over $5 mil for sure. Beautiful piece

Mar 29, 2013 at 7:03:44 PM
profholt82 (59)
< El Ripper >
Michigan

I am curious about something, is there someone in the world with a complete baseball card collection from start to present (since it's still going on)?

I think that would be impossible due to the flooding of the market during the '90s. However, I'm pretty sure Keith Olberman has a complete T206 set with all the major error cards.

Mar 29, 2013 at 7:07:29 PM
Ipsylos (25)

Ontario
Originally posted by: profholt82

I think that would be impossible due to the flooding of the market during the '90s. However, I'm pretty sure Keith Olberman has a complete T206 set with all the major error cards.
What about a complete rookie card set for each player to play the game?

Mar 29, 2013 at 7:27:28 PM
thenickross (134)
(nick ross) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: jonebone

This is "the" card of all baseball cards. But ironically enough, this is yet another great example of what hype can do to a price... the Wagner isn't even the rarest card in the T-206 set! There's some rare error variant that is next to impossible to find (forgive my ignorance on not knowing the name off the top of my head).

Should be fun to watch!
100% correct. But we all know rarity does not always equal value, and vice versa. This will be very cool to watch.

Yes, that's me in my avatar. 

Mar 29, 2013 at 7:38:07 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Highly doubt it. Most people either collect all the cards of a specific player or collect complete sets from
certain years e.g. 86 Topps. If someone did have a set like that,they'd have a lot of space and even more money.

Mar 29, 2013 at 7:42:27 PM
The Count (106)
(Grant X.) < Lolo Lord >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Highly doubt it. Most people either collect all the cards of a specific player or collect complete sets from
certain years e.g. 86 Topps. If someone did have a set like that,they'd have a lot of space and even more money.

There are thousand of 1/1's so this is impossible. Unless of course, we're not counting cards of a certain quantity produced.

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:28:42 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: Count Dracura

The only known Old Mill blue back Ed Walsh to exist recently was certified and graded. There was an "albino" Eddie Plank auctioned recently which is one of two known, I believe, to exist. The error cards of Sherry "Magee" Magie and Joe Doyle "Nat'l" along with the standard short printed Eddie Plank Sweet Caporal back are all rarer than the Wagner.
Ah, the Doyle Nat'l card is the one I was thinking of... thanks for the heads up!

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:31:32 PM
smokinjoe24 (147)
(P Fen) < Bowser >
United States
I watched an incredibly interesting documentary on this card a while back about this card being graded an 8, but looked to be trimmed to make it nicer. The graders didnt catch it, sold multiple times for much more money each time and turns out it could be trimmed. It's really interested. If anyone is interested in seeing it, I'll look for the video.

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:37:05 PM
thenickross (134)
United States
^ please.

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:37:24 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Originally posted by: jonebone

Originally posted by: Count Dracura

Ah, the Doyle Nat'l card is the one I was thinking of... thanks for the heads up!

In a conversation on another non videogame forum about this very subject it was said and generally agreed upon that 50-100 units is the optimal number of product for the highest holy grail prices. Any less than this and it becomes too rare for its own good. When there are too few of an item the units get locked up into collections and never trade hands. It is the trading of hands each time for a higher and higher price that creates the high value.  

Anyone know roughly how many Wagner cards exist in any condition?

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:38:31 PM
thenickross (134)
United States
Maybe this?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/...

Not sure how I missed this. Grantland is one of my favorite sites.

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:43:10 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
^^^^^As of last year, PSA had graded 32 of them. So your 50-100 adage would fit perfectly here (assuming there's a few others that Beckett graded, and some ungraded ones floating around).

EDIT:  Reply to buyatari

Edited: 03/29/2013 at 09:43 PM by captmorgandrinker

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:48:03 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: buyatari2

50-100 units is the optimal number of product for the highest holy grail prices. Any less than this and it becomes too rare for its own good. When there are too few of an item the units get locked up into collections and never trade hands. It is the trading of hands each time for a higher and higher price that creates the high value.  
So looking at the expensive NES items, if there were more of them they would be selling for more?  Gold NWC (~13?), CIB SE (~20?), sealed SE (~3?) are all way under that 50-100 units.  They also don't trade hands often but when they do its a big jump.  Maybe the grails won't get to insane levels like other hobbies because they are too rare.

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:50:13 PM
Shane (146)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: smokinjoe24

I watched an incredibly interesting documentary on this card a while back about this card being graded an 8, but looked to be trimmed to make it nicer. The graders didnt catch it, sold multiple times for much more money each time and turns out it could be trimmed. It's really interested. If anyone is interested in seeing it, I'll look for the video.

Are you talking about ESPN's 30 for 30 series?

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:07:11 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

50-100 units is the optimal number of product for the highest holy grail prices. Any less than this and it becomes too rare for its own good. When there are too few of an item the units get locked up into collections and never trade hands. It is the trading of hands each time for a higher and higher price that creates the high value.  
So looking at the expensive NES items, if there were more of them they would be selling for more?  Gold NWC (~13?), CIB SE (~20?), sealed SE (~3?) are all way under that 50-100 units.  They also don't trade hands often but when they do its a big jump.  Maybe the grails won't get to insane levels like other hobbies because they are too rare.
It is really hard to say. Our hobby is too new. 

You could make an argument that all SEs are all lumped together for these purposes. When a loose SE sells for a record price that directly affects the price of a complete copy . It is after all impossible for a loose SE to be worth more than CIB. 

You might also argue that more SEs are to be found. Far more SEs will turn up in the next 20 years than you can expect to see from the t206 Wagner card.  

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:41:37 PM
matt17_52 (28)
(Matt Wyatt) < Lolo Lord >
South Carolina
Originally posted by: gutsman004

I used to get a subscription to Sports Illustrated for Kids back in the day and in one of the issues Carlton Fisk was interviewed and claimed he had every Topps card ever made.  It was circa 1991, dont know if he has continued his collection though.

Originally posted by: RetroBasement

wow thanks for making me squirt milk out of my nipples

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:15:36 PM
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa ) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

8Bit-Xmas...

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:46:28 PM
smokinjoe24 (147)
(P Fen) < Bowser >
United States
Originally posted by: thenickross

Maybe this?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8994374/a-legendary-base...

Not sure how I missed this. Grantland is one of my favorite sites.

That's it. Very interesting story.