Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

(SOLVED) N64RGB has white flicker on top of the screen in Super Mario 64

Jun 9, 2018 at 5:08:51 AM
roadkill (1)
(Road Kill) < Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
I have Viletim's N64RGB board installed in my N64, I'm wondering why there is a white flicker on top of the screen when I play Super Mario 64. At first I didn't think much of it, but started to get annoying. With every game that I've tried so far, I've only seen this happen in Super Mario 64. I have an EverDrive 64 v2.5 but never tested a real Super Mario 64 cart. I also tried the Japanese Rumble Pak version, the same thing happens.

Here's a quick video I made showing the white flicker on the top of the screen:

Could it be my power supply? Or just a minor software glitch in the N64RGB v1.2 firmware? If it is my N64 power supply, I'll gladly put new caps in it and new voltage regulators also.

Update: I'm gonna go ahead and assume I have to recap my power supply. I finally put two and two together, the NESRGB always needed it's own 7805 on a Front Loader, and on Top Loaders it was recommended to have its 7805 replaced with higher rated one, as well as a recap for either of them. I've noticed that there's other N64 games where this graphical flickering effects happen and it really just seems to be a power supply issue. The N64RGB plus my HD Retrovision cables are certainly both drawing 5v extra each, and I'm sure my EverDrive 64 is drawing more power than a typical N64 cartridge as well, so it's starting to become pretty apparent to me. Plus it won't hurt to recap my PSU anyway, it's even recommended for UltraHDMI N64s.

-------------------------
I edit my messages far too many times because of my OCD. So be on the lookout for that  

Edited: 06/30/2018 at 05:01 AM by roadkill

Jun 20, 2018 at 6:51:01 AM
roadkill (1)
Pennsylvania
Ok I have to actually address this problem a little more. Perfect Dark in Hi-Res mode suffers the most from this graphical artifact problem. It's a perfect example of what I've seen in other games but not as badly, nonetheless these graphical artifact glitches are noticeable and annoying, prominently in Goldeneye 007 also and that game makes no use of the Expansion Pak nor does it ever output in Hi-Res (480i).

Also, I found a year old topic discussing this same exact problem: https://shmups.system11.org/viewt...

I've emailed VileTim for advice.

BIG UPDATE: OK!  I finally figured it out. It was my HDTV all along. I plugged this into my CRT HDTV and the problem is gone, completely. Looks like I have to get myself an OSSC.

I edit my messages far too many times because of my OCD. So be on the lookout for that  

Edited: 06/20/2018 at 07:41 AM by roadkill

Jun 20, 2018 at 10:33:32 AM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Do you think the CRT might simply be cropping it out due to overscan?

Jun 20, 2018 at 1:49:02 PM
roadkill (1)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Ichinisan

Do you think the CRT might simply be cropping it out due to overscan?

I don't suppose that's the reason the problem is solved though, I think it's simply because it's not 100% compatible with my Samsung LCD HDTV (although my SNES is). Then again, I'm not entierly sure. I have a component to HDMI converter box that supports 240p (which doesn't upscale either) and I recently just tested on that and it does crop the image, and it didn't have these glitches even though I used it on the same TV. So maybe it is something to do with that? However Perfect Dark kept going in and out of sync on it.

Edited: 06/22/2018 at 02:19 AM by roadkill