Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The hell is up with OG xbox games being total crap price-wise

Nov 17, 2015 at 3:08:33 AM
1337bcc1991 (215)
(Brandon ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
So tonight I picked up the rest of the collection this guy had.  If you haven't seen my FK thread, I recently scored a huge GC, PS1, DS, etc. lot from this guy, and today was my third and final trek to his place (hour or so away) to pick up the rest of his collection (PS2, XBOX, strategy guides, 3ds, and extras).  I organzied and priced all the PS2 and 3ds stuff, and just got done with the XBOX games.. I obtained around 70 XBOX games, and there were literally only three titles over $20 (and not by much, either).
- Shenmue II
- Stubbs the Zombie (awesome, odd title that I never heard of... I figured it was going to be semi-rare before looking it up, and it ended up being the priciest game of the lot)
- KOTOR 2

Everything else was basically $5 or under (only several $10-15 games... under 10 titles I'd say) and there was only a few sport/ racing titles.

I know there has been a thread or two in the past few months about XBOX being kinda shit in value... but for real.. WTF?!?! What is the explanation?  It's not like there is a shortage of tried-and-true action game titles, M-rated titles, XBOX-exclusive titles, etc.; I know there's not TOO many RPGs on the system.  I just don't understand how a system well over 10 years old doesn't have more valuable titles.  Even the couple of sealed titles in the lot I bought were going for $5 or under on ebay.

.. meh.  Organization is done, time for FO4 and one last beer.

-------------------------
Want thread:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
Sale thread:

Edited: 11/17/2015 at 03:09 AM by 1337bcc1991

Nov 17, 2015 at 5:24:18 AM
theclaw (78)
(Lum Fan) < Lolo Lord >
Washington
Mediocrity goes a long way. When a game isn't good, bad, scarce, or interesting enough for people to care about it.

But there's still anomalies. I don't have any idea where people got the idea to price-hike Jurassic Park Operation Genesis.

This is a signature-tcha!

Nov 17, 2015 at 6:25:39 AM
kwaza (3)
(Ricky T.) < Eggplant Wizard >
Arizona
Only certain games are up there in value. A few that come to mind are Conker Live and Reloaded, the Godzilla games, Star Wars Battlefront II, Call of Chutulu and a few others. But yeah, there isn't that many expensive games. I guess that's a good thing as now is the perfect time to collect for the system with all these cheap prices.

Nov 17, 2015 at 6:41:06 AM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
I don't know that the N64 had many, if any, games that were truly $20+ in 2006, not for a cart only anyway. Most of them could be had for under $15.

Nov 17, 2015 at 6:46:09 AM
Holy_Ostrich (26)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Meka Chicken >
I don't think that system ever really hit its stride, and only a handful of games on it are truly scarce. I'd be more interested to see what happens with the x-box 360 library in 10-15 years then I am with the original x-box.

Nov 17, 2015 at 6:57:03 AM
Rookie1 (22)
(Pig Benis) < El Ripper >
Maine
It's not time for that system yet. Give it another 10 years. Not everything has value just because.

THINGS IM LOOKING FOR - http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:06:20 AM
fox (15)
(Gunslinger Fox) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: 1337bcc1991

So tonight I picked up the rest of the collection this guy had.  If you haven't seen my FK thread, I recently scored a huge GC, PS1, DS, etc. lot from this guy, and today was my third and final trek to his place (hour or so away) to pick up the rest of his collection (PS2, XBOX, strategy guides, 3ds, and extras).  I organzied and priced all the PS2 and 3ds stuff, and just got done with the XBOX games.. I obtained around 70 XBOX games, and there were literally only three titles over $20 (and not by much, either).
- Shenmue II
- Stubbs the Zombie (awesome, odd title that I never heard of... I figured it was going to be semi-rare before looking it up, and it ended up being the priciest game of the lot)
- KOTOR 2

Everything else was basically $5 or under (only several $10-15 games... under 10 titles I'd say) and there was only a few sport/ racing titles.

I know there has been a thread or two in the past few months about XBOX being kinda shit in value... but for real.. WTF?!?! What is the explanation?  It's not like there is a shortage of tried-and-true action game titles, M-rated titles, XBOX-exclusive titles, etc.; I know there's not TOO many RPGs on the system.  I just don't understand how a system well over 10 years old doesn't have more valuable titles.  Even the couple of sealed titles in the lot I bought were going for $5 or under on ebay.

.. meh.  Organization is done, time for FO4 and one last beer.
It is at that age where it is too old to be considered modern and not yet old enough to be retro.  You really don't see systems start to surge till about the 15 year mark or so.  Dreamcast was bargin basement city for years and now a few of the titles are really surgeing just in the last year.  It really needs to get to the point where a system as deemed as near worthless before it starts being worth anything.

I know it came out in the shadow of the juggernaunt that was the PS2 but it is no slouch in the RPG department.
- Fable
- Kotor 1+2
- Jade Empire
- Elder Scrolls Morrowind
- LotR The Third Age
It also had a bunch of those great co-op beat em up rpgs like X-men/Marvel/Dark Alliance type stuff.

Give it another year or two, it will get there.

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:40:12 AM
Psychopat (23)
(Patrick Paquin) < Eggplant Wizard >
Quebec
Don't complain! at least good games are not hard to obtain!

That flag next to my name means I live in the evil country known as Canada.... you were warned!
Going for a complete Playsation 1 set: 639/1284

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:43:05 AM
Jandrem (6)
(Josh ) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio
Star Wars Battlefront 2 has been sitting in the $40-ish range for a while. There are tons of games that are really good, from well-known brands(X-Men Legends 2) that don't command nearly the price. Just makes collecting that much easier!

I think availability is what hurts OG Xbox game's value. Sort of like Atari, it just felt like they were pumping out tons and tons of mediocre titles, in MASS quantities. There are some abolsute gems(KoTOR, etc), but there's a million crap titles too. The same could be said for every console, but with the Xbox there was just a whole lot of really dated, "xtreme tribal tattooed protagonist" games. It was like Mountain Dew and Wal-Mart co-funded development on half of the library.  

I have to wonder a little bit, if it's because the Xbox is considered an American game system adds/subtracts it's collectibility. I remember hearing rumors back in the day that the Xbox did terrible sales in Japan, and is kind of a joke over there(no matter how powerful or successful the system really is). I've played several MMO/online in general games with random Japanese players(Final Fantasy XI, etc), and there's always a very snobby attitude towards American gamers and games in general.

My FS/FO thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 11/17/2015 at 07:55 AM by Jandrem

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:51:12 AM
Stryphos (306)
(Bubble Man) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Jandrem

Star Wars Battlefront 2 has been sitting in the $40-ish range for a while. There are tons of games that are really good, from well-known brands(X-Men Legends 2) that don't command nearly the price.

I think availability is what hurts OG Xbox game's value. Sort of like Atari, it just felt like they were pumping out tons and tons of mediocre titles, in MASS quantities.

I have to wonder a little bit, if it's because the Xbox is considered an American game system adds/subtracts it's collectibility. I remember hearing rumors back in the day that the Xbox did terrible sales in Japan, and is kind of a joke over there(no matter how powerful or successful the system really is). I've played several MMO/online in general games with random Japanese players(Final Fantasy XI, etc), and there's always a very snobby attitude towards American gamers and games in general.
This totally!  X-Men Legends II was a fantastic top-down action-rpg meets dungeon crawler of sorts that really had a level of depth to its leveling and power system that at first, second or even third glance would really go unnoticed.  

Many on here have hit the nail on the head that it's just not old enough and there weren't many WOW titles on the OG Xbox that were exclusives that people don't already have easy access to or are still in abundance.  I think like anything else though, given enough time, prices will creep up.

Haves     |     Wants

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:56:18 AM
Jandrem (6)
(Josh ) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Stryphos

Originally posted by: Jandrem

Star Wars Battlefront 2 has been sitting in the $40-ish range for a while. There are tons of games that are really good, from well-known brands(X-Men Legends 2) that don't command nearly the price.

I think availability is what hurts OG Xbox game's value. Sort of like Atari, it just felt like they were pumping out tons and tons of mediocre titles, in MASS quantities.

This totally!  X-Men Legends II was a fantastic top-down action-rpg meets dungeon crawler of sorts that really had a level of depth to its leveling and power system that at first, second or even third glance would really go unnoticed.  

Many on here have hit the nail on the head that it's just not old enough and there weren't many WOW titles on the OG Xbox that were exclusives that people don't already have easy access to or are still in abundance.  I think like anything else though, given enough time, prices will creep up.

I agree. I remember buying XML2 on launch day, and playing the bejeezus out of it for a solid year. I just bought it a few months ago for $3 shipped, CIB. I couldnt believe it. 

My FS/FO thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:00:08 AM
jkenned5 (131)
(Jordan Kennedy) < King Solomon >
Ontario
WHY the hell do you care if its cheap? Be thankful lol. Or stop buying them and leave them for others who don't care about values. ??? I got about 500 OG xbox games for under 2$ each. Can't find anything now since everyone is going for them now and people complain they are not worth more which i find ironic.

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:12:32 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Yeah I was casually collecting Xbox in maybe 2011... then realized values were junk and I'd rather have shelf space for more valuable stuff. I sold off most but I did keep favorites like Halos, Stubbs, Conker, Ninja Gaidens, etc. Ninja Gaiden Black on Xbox is actually one of my favorite games of all-time... it is the pinnacle of the 3D action combat genre IMO. Still have not played a better one to this day.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:12:40 AM
LastCat (73)
(Top Cat) < Lolo Lord >
Puerto Rico
It's a good thing Xbox is cheap, makes collecting easier.

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:14:08 AM
Otraotaku (31)
(Otra The Otaku) < Lolo Lord >
Indiana
It still has 5-10 years to Pop up on the collectors spotlight. I own a pretty big portion of The Current Heavy Hitters on for the Original Xbox.

But I am not Bias, as In my Personal "Opinion" I don't believe that Disc based games will ever have the same kind of impact as the Classic Carts do today.

The PC has shown us this in the past.

Looking for "Cart Only" BOUNTYS! Please feel free to PM with offers & add+ Shipping!
Pocky & Rocky 2 $200,  Pocky Rocky 1 $75, Bronkie The Bronchiasaurus $125, Space MegaForce $125, Super Turrican 2 $100, Zero: Kamakazi Squirrel $115

Trades
Want List

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:21:01 AM
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Everyone pretty much touched upon the answer.

The OG just isn't in demand enough yet. Give it a few more years like others said and i bet it goes up. At least a little.

I had an OG but to be honest i don't have too many memories with it other than Halo, Project Gotham, and fable . Not really sure why.

Silent Hill is a big OG guy, and thanks to you and him I might go back and try to collect this system soon. most of my collection i am already happy with, and it will be a nice change of pace to be able to buy games for under $10 unlike most systems nowadays.

gamevaluenow

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:22:46 AM
Daria (29)
(Alexandria Sanchez) < King Solomon >
Florida
You're complaining that the system's affordable? Even the "heavy hitters" are still reasonable at like $40 - $50. This is a good thing as it's a great time to fill in a collection.

I've been having a lot of fun with the OG xbox lately. Ran through Jade Empire a week ago and am currently working my way through KOTOR. Arx Fatalis looked pretty good too but I need a new disk.

Check out DariaPlaysRPGs on Youtube for Reviews on translated, homebrew, and classic RPGs.

Looking to buy a copy of Shining Force Genesis - Complete in excellent condition

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:24:58 AM
Gentlegamer (15)
< El Ripper >
Texas
You have that backwards, the prices are great.

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:26:49 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Well the biggest point that hasn't been mentioned is that PS2 dominated Xbox in that era. Xbox is never going to be collectible like Nintendo, it is the Sega Genesis of that generation, even though there are some dedicated Xbox fans (like myself).

Add in the fact that there is plenty of overlap between the two libraries, set collecting just won't be that popular. I don't care if it is 5, 10, or 20 years, the system will be lucky if it has a handful of titles that ever crack the $100+ mark as a CIB.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:41:10 AM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: jonebone

Well the biggest point that hasn't been mentioned is that PS2 dominated Xbox in that era.

And to add to that, the PS2 stuff is common, very very common.  They sold so much of it, you can find them everywhere.  It wasn't that many years ago Sony was still producing them via greatest hits.  And unlike the 16 bit times where the few games on more than one system were generally vastly diffrent, you can get pretty much the same game on PS2 as xbox for the bulk of the titles.  And since they're CD based, you don't have the "cart feel" nes\snes\gens ect give you.  May as well use a CDR

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:08:49 AM
LutherDestroysTheGond (85)
(Grumble Grumble) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Gentlegamer

You have that backwards, the prices are great.

Exactly.  I'm loving collecting for OG Xbox now.

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

Edited: 11/17/2015 at 09:10 AM by LutherDestroysTheGond

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:16:32 AM
Silent Hill (131)
(A-A-Ron ) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Originally posted by: magus90

Everyone pretty much touched upon the answer.

The OG just isn't in demand enough yet. Give it a few more years like others said and i bet it goes up. At least a little.

I had an OG but to be honest i don't have too many memories with it other than Halo, Project Gotham, and fable . Not really sure why.

Silent Hill is a big OG guy, and thanks to you and him I might go back and try to collect this system soon. most of my collection i am already happy with, and it will be a nice change of pace to be able to buy games for under $10 unlike most systems nowadays.

PM me if you want a fair amount to get started. I've got quite a few doubles

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:25:30 AM
Silent Hill (131)
Ohio
Originally posted by: jonebone

Well the biggest point that hasn't been mentioned is that PS2 dominated Xbox in that era. Xbox is never going to be collectible like Nintendo, it is the Sega Genesis of that generation, even though there are some dedicated Xbox fans (like myself).

Add in the fact that there is plenty of overlap between the two libraries, set collecting just won't be that popular. I don't care if it is 5, 10, or 20 years, the system will be lucky if it has a handful of titles that ever crack the $100+ mark as a CIB.

This is a solid point. PS2 has a lot more fans/nostaliga out there than Xbox. Even though NGC didn't do well in comparision to PS2, it's Nintendo, so it'll be collected. There will be die hard OGXBOX guys out there, but they'll be few and far between. 

I know there are some really hard to find titles for OGX, but I can't really see any of them climbing past three figures. 

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:26:38 AM
Gentlegamer (15)
< El Ripper >
Texas
While we're on the subject, how expensive is Metal Wolf Chaos, and will it play on an unmodded US ECKSBAWKS?

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:31:17 AM
Silent Hill (131)
Ohio
Originally posted by: Gentlegamer

While we're on the subject, how expensive is Metal Wolf Chaos, and will it play on an unmodded US ECKSBAWKS?

It appears to easily be over $100 and seems to not work on an american Xbox. 

Edited: 11/17/2015 at 09:37 AM by Silent Hill