Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew orange island

Jun 27 at 11:48:29 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

Originally posted by: fcgamer

If a homebrew or indie game is released on Famicom format, I will support and buy it sight unseen, assuming that it's obtainable.  

What if it's a crappy sokoban clone?

Yup, you got one up for grabs?

-------------------------
-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Jun 27 at 12:10:38 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida

If a homebrew or indie game is released on Famicom format, I will support and buy it sight unseen, assuming that it's obtainable.  

Nope. I only make good sokoban clones.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Jun 27 at 12:33:45 PM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania

Thing is, it's a saturated market imo for games like that. Thus it's hard for me to honestly get excited over a new sokoban clone, sort of like there being three Tetris games on the machine.

I would relate this with the nes maker thread about from scratch versus from.nes maker games. While the from scratch title might be nicely designed, and while I can appreciate the hard work, if it's the third sokoban clone for the machine, then it's not going to do much for me, and I think that is somewhat understandable.

If one is a shelf collector then it becomes a mute point. While I don't classify myself purely as a shelf collector, I have and will continue to purchase all available Famicom homebrew games, to try to support this niche market.

-----

Jun 27 at 12:37:04 PM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
@Khan: just wanted to throw this out too: I totally respect and appreciate the hard work you are putting forth with your games, and likewise the passion you hold for homebrew development.

-----

Jun 27 at 12:48:10 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
You guys say "sokoban" too much.

Jun 27 at 12:52:37 PM
Indo (4)
(Chris ) < Crack Trooper >
New Jersey

I'd still say one of the best homebrews released.  I dare to say it should be on a competition cart, say Homebrew World Championships 2020.

Petition for KHAN to spearhead the HBWC 2020 effort:   http://www.(future... website by someone else because I lost steam on this post).com

Deadeye.bit        Twitter       Instagram

Jun 27 at 1:24:55 PM
KHAN Games (89)
Florida
Haha, we've tried many times to get another homebrew competition cart off the ground. It's hard to find developers willing to invest the time to get it going.

I'd definitely love for it to happen.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Jun 27 at 1:29:27 PM
Scrobins09 (8)
(Sean ) < Eggplant Wizard >
District of Columbia
KHAN 2020: Yes We Sokoban!

Jun 27 at 1:38:34 PM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Indo

I'd still say one of the best homebrews released.  I dare to say it should be on a competition cart, say Homebrew World Championships 2020.

Petition for KHAN to spearhead the HBWC 2020 effort:   http://www.(future website by someone else because I lost steam on this post).com

Perhaps it is, perhaps it isn't. But here is my problem about it:

In 1986 we got Namida no Sokoban Special for the Famicom disk system.

In the early 90s, we ended up with Porter.

By 1997, we got Warehouse No. 18.

In 2000 community member Johannes Holmberg from Sweden did a homebrew nes game called Sokoban.

So we received (at least ) four Sokoban games before The Incident, and iirc Nice Code may have done one as well. That puts it at six Sokoban games for one console.

Sure, I get it, maybe Khan's version has a better story, but some of the others also had level editors. No offense to anyone, but I honestly just don't find there to be enough meat in that game to get excited over the fifth or sixth clone of it, on one given console.

As a comparison, I often hear gripes about large companies such as Nintendo rehashing the tried and true formula to create new Pokemon games, Zelda games, Mario kart games, etc. And they all have a lot more substance as a whole than Sokoban. Therefore I find it more than reasonable to have this opinion, that five or six clones if basically the same game is a bit much for one machine, hence why I cannot get excited about it .

-----

Jun 27 at 1:57:06 PM
Indo (4)
New Jersey

Perhaps it is, perhaps it isn't. But here is my problem about it: In 1986 we got Namida no Sokoban Special for the Famicom disk system. In the early 90s, we ended up with Porter. By 1997, we got Warehouse No. 18. In 2000 community member Johannes Holmberg from Sweden did a homebrew nes game called Sokoban. So we received (at least ) four Sokoban games before The Incident, and iirc Nice Code may have done one as well. That puts it at six Sokoban games for one console. Sure, I get it, maybe Khan's version has a better story, but some of the others also had level editors. No offense to anyone, but I honestly just don't find there to be enough meat in that game to get excited over the fifth or sixth clone of it, on one given console. As a comparison, I often hear gripes about large companies such as Nintendo rehashing the tried and true formula to create new Pokemon games, Zelda games, Mario kart games, etc. And they all have a lot more substance as a whole than Sokoban. Therefore I find it more than reasonable to have this opinion, that five or six clones if basically the same game is a bit much for one machine, hence why I cannot get excited about it .

To each their own.  It is a genre (or sub-genre if you want to get technical) of a game.  So we don’t need more JRPGs or side scrolling platformers?  If KHAN released The Incident 2 or prequel, it would be an instant buy for me. 

Jun 27 at 2:03:55 PM
KHAN Games (89)
Florida
Let's get this thread back on topic. We need to celebrate the beauty that is Orange Island. Even if the developer worked for Sega and Sega sux.

(And The Incident had automated level solving. Take that, inferior clones!)

Jun 27 at 2:14:14 PM
Indo (4)
New Jersey
Orange Island's game play and art style look great. I was following the progress for a while and was excited for the Kickstarter. However like others, cart prices were too high for me. I ended up backing digitally. If there ends up being a NES only tier, I would be interested.

Jun 27 at 2:19:39 PM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania

Let's get this thread back on topic. We need to celebrate the beauty that is Orange Island. Even if the developer worked for Sega and Sega sux.

(And The Incident had automated level solving. Take that, inferior clones!)

Sega is amazing, everyone knows SNES truly sucks.

Automated level solving, actually thats a point I don't care about. I grew up in the school of hard knocks, nes wise anyways.

-----

Jun 27 at 10:19:46 PM
Final Theory (2)

(Final Theory) < Crack Trooper >
United States
"Therefore I find it more than reasonable to have this opinion, that five or six clones if basically the same game is a bit much for one machine, hence why I cannot get excited about it . "

Each game has its own personality and its own team behind it. There are lots of platformers on the NES but some are more likeable than others. Same with First Person Shooters on modern consoles.

As for the Orange Island, I read the kickstarter and they said that they got the guy from Secret of Manga music composer to work on the project. Hiroki Kikuta, this dude is a legend! That alone should be worth the extra price. The game looks really nice, but I would prefer to have the main focus of the game to be on a console. I also think that they probably would be able to do a much better port if they ported it over to the SNES and kept the NES style. Just by looking at the artwork it seems as if they are exceeding the limitations of the NES already and would have to cut back a lot to put it on a real NES.

Jun 27 at 11:23:44 PM
Zezzler (1)
(Jesse Sesler) < Little Mac >
Korea, Republic of
Originally posted by: Final Theory

I also think that they probably would be able to do a much better port if they ported it over to the SNES and kept the NES style. Just by looking at the artwork it seems as if they are exceeding the limitations of the NES already and would have to cut back a lot to put it on a real NES.

According to the FAQ on the kickstarter it's pretty NES-accurate.

Is this REALLY 100% authentic to the NES? :
"Okay, so the current full build is about 95%? There are a couple small things that need to change to get us to 100% but we're already in good shape and making the necessary changes will have very little impact on the overall look of the game. From an audio perspective, we'll also be separating out each channel so that sound effects will never overlap music. We'd like to take it as far as emulating effects like sprite flicker on the PC version, if possible! With this funding we'll be able to make sure we get everything right and request some help from the talented and super-supportive NESdev community. Shout-outs to them!" - Kickstarter FAQ

Plus the fact that he's going to be working with Antoine (Broke Studios), I'm sure it's not going to be a huge issue.

@Zezzler   JammingGames    Zezzler   NES Collection

Edited: 06/27/2019 at 11:25 PM by Zezzler

Jun 28 at 1:31:07 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania

"Therefore I find it more than reasonable to have this opinion, that five or six clones if basically the same game is a bit much for one machine, hence why I cannot get excited about it . "

Each game has its own personality and its own team behind it. There are lots of platformers on the NES but some are more likeable than others. Same with First Person Shooters on modern consoles.

This is certainly true, but with this type of game (puzzle games, board games, etc) I just don't think there's enough of a difference for me to personally get ecited about a new iteration of it.  With platformers and first person shooters, there is a lot more room for variance.  

-----

Jun 28 at 8:01:04 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia

Don't waste your time. Dave's opinion is the right one no matter what you say. 

I just wish homebrewers would check with him first before doing anything, the games that people put out could be so much more amazing and original (and on FC too!).   

Jun 28 at 9:38:45 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Mog

Don't waste your time. Dave's opinion is the right one no matter what you say. 

I just wish homebrewers would check with him first before doing anything, the games that people put out could be so much more amazing and original (and on FC too!).   

Hey, I don't have an issue with you, no need for you to take issue with me.

I never at all said my opinion is right and others' opinions are wrong; I even mentioned I can see where some others might be coming from; however, for me personally, for this sort of genre, there just isn't enough that can be edited to make me desire six or seven of the same basic thing.

I see people here often criticizing Nintendo and other companies for doing this very thing with Pokemon and Mario games, but I'm not allowed to hold a similar viewpoint towards Sokoban clones? Give me a break.

-----

Jun 28 at 10:05:14 AM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
don't all of these threads derail into someone dismissing the work put into a project, then everyone jumping on him, then some pedantic response, then nitpicking quotes, then a mod intervention, then an apologies but someone can't let it go so they insert their original argument at the end?

edit: orange island looks great. money is high and that's the only impediment. 

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Edited: 06/28/2019 at 10:05 AM by zi

Jun 28 at 4:51:58 PM
tomkennes123 (0)

(tom kennes) < Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
true

Jun 28 at 9:05:01 PM
Daria (29)
(Alexandria Sanchez) < King Solomon >
Florida
I think it looks pretty awesome. Probably won't buy CIB sadly, but I could go for a cart version for sure.

Check out DariaPlaysRPGs on Youtube for Reviews on translated, homebrew, and classic RPGs.

Looking to buy a copy of Shining Force Genesis - Complete in excellent condition

Jun 28 at 9:40:15 PM
WaverBoy (1)

(Jeff Nelson) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
I just want an NES ROM. As of now there's no mention of an NES ROM option; the digital option only says Mac & PC, which I have zero interest in. The stretch goals section makes no mention of any intention to make an NES ROM available.

Jun 28 at 9:49:56 PM
Scrobins09 (8)
District of Columbia
Read the comments on the Kickstarter. Ted says that if the stretch goal for the NES port is unlocked, all digital tiers and up will get the NES rom.

Edited: 06/28/2019 at 09:50 PM by Scrobins09

Jun 28 at 9:50:40 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Originally posted by: WaverBoy

I just want an NES ROM. As of now there's no mention of an NES ROM option; the digital option only says Mac & PC, which I have zero interest in. The stretch goals section makes no mention of any intention to make an NES ROM available.
From the comments section:

Sniped!
Originally posted by: Scrobins09

Read the comments on the Kickstarter. Ted says that if the stretch goal for the NES port is unlocked, all digital tiers and up will get the NES rom.

Edited: 06/28/2019 at 09:53 PM by JamesRobot

Jun 28 at 9:53:51 PM
Scrobins09 (8)
District of Columbia
Jinx, buy me a coke!