NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

*BOUNTY ADDED* unknown video game image from 1996 WIN $100 USD VIA PAYPAL GIFT

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:17:15 AM
Buyatari (14)
(Adam Harvey) < King Solomon >
Ohio
*BOUNTY ADDED*
Be the first person to post an image of the game box or magazine ad where this Greg Winters was 1st published in the 1990s and I'll send you a $100 gift via paypal. 

Unknown video game painting.
Done by Greg Winters who did several SNES, Sega and PS1 game covers.
It is dated 96 which if correct is late for a SNES title but it sure has the layout for it. 
Could be anything. Could be PC. Could be a game ad. 
The artist said it was a video game. It is marked "Sword & Stone" which is likely a description and not a game title.
It looks real familiar to me but I can just can't place it.

Edited: 02/27/2017 at 07:55 PM by Buyatari

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:08:28 AM
tubeway (2)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Stan Kay) < Eggplant Wizard >
New York
The dimensions are kind of weird for a vertically oriented box, like NES and Genesis, since two of the main elements are on either side (the sun and the sword). Did the guy say if it was ever actually used for something? Makes me wonder if it's related to Myth: History in the Making, which he is credited for on Mobygames. A quick look shows wildly different artwork for each of the covers of the game on like seven different platforms it was released for.

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:36:49 AM
NESking80 (15)
(Chris aka inspector Callahan ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan
Originally posted by: tubeway

The dimensions are kind of weird for a vertically oriented box, like NES and Genesis, since two of the main elements are on either side (the sun and the sword). Did the guy say if it was ever actually used for something? Makes me wonder if it's related to Myth: History in the Making, which he is credited for on Mobygames. A quick look shows wildly different artwork for each of the covers of the game on like seven different platforms it was released for.

I couldn't be myth as it was released in 1989, when this was dated 1996.

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:01:25 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Reminds me of Eternia from He-Man, but clearly that sword would not have been used. The search continues...

-------------------------
WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:52:28 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: NESking80

I couldn't be myth as it was released in 1989, when this was dated 1996.

He didn't do the Myth cover anyways regardless of what mobygames says.    He did do NES Conan however which is a port of Myth

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:53:35 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

My guess re the dimensions is it's a double page magazine spread, but I really don't know

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:03:29 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: jonebone

Reminds me of Eternia from He-Man, but clearly that sword would not have been used. The search continues...

Does 1996 relate to the updated release of Masters of the Universe?
(I think that came a couple years later, though, and this would be a little too far in advance)

Doesn't really look like any iteration of the sword of Greyskull, though.

It looks so "80's" for a painting done in 1996, though  

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:08:52 AM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: Bronty

My guess re the dimensions is it's a double page magazine spread, but I really don't know

I just did a reverse image search on this image and was linked to a now-defunct eBay auction for "Zombie Commando Cover Art Sci-Fi Original by Greg Winters"....Zombie Commando? This sure as hell doesn't look like the cover art for anything titled Zombie Commando.

www.videogamesage.com...

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:07:36 PM
Buyatari (14)
Ohio
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Originally posted by: jonebone

Does 1996 relate to the updated release of Masters of the Universe?
(I think that came a couple years later, though, and this would be a little too far in advance)

Doesn't really look like any iteration of the sword of Greyskull, though.

It looks so "80's" for a painting done in 1996, though  

I'm not going to swear by the date. The artist was known to sign other pieces long after the fact so he could be going by memory on the date. He did hundreds of illustrations. Mistakes can be made.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:09:15 PM
Buyatari (14)
Ohio

That is a good a guess as any. If the date is correct it is either an ad or a PC game.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:13:34 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Quaze

I just did a reverse image search on this image and was linked to a now-defunct eBay auction for "Zombie Commando Cover Art Sci-Fi Original by Greg Winters"....Zombie Commando? This sure as hell doesn't look like the cover art for anything titled Zombie Commando.

alright, so zombie commando is a really common name for mobile games.. that don't help any. Looking up zombie games in general from the time period, it appears house of the dead and resident evil were both getting released around then, this art doesn't look like it would belong to either of them. Back to searching

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:18:07 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
So it's dated 1996, but in general how long would it take for a painting to end up getting printed? I can't see it being like it's painted today, printed tomorrow right?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:23:12 PM
VGS_Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
The sword is probably the best clue, but I can't place it...

Videogamesage.com

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:07:45 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: BertBerryCrunch

So it's dated 1996, but in general how long would it take for a painting to end up getting printed? I can't see it being like it's painted today, printed tomorrow right?

not long.   Couple months.   

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:09:35 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

its got nothing to do with zombie commando - which was some vhs tape or something and is the image below.   Red herring..

The sword piece just seems like a random RPG ish type of piece with lot of empty room for text.   (amazing!  10/10!  Best game ever!)

Edited: 02/27/2017 at 01:13 PM by Bronty

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:13:09 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia

its got nothing to do with zombie commando - which was some vhs tape or something and is the image below.   Red herring

Figured it had to be a red herring with that title/image mismatch, just found it interesting that Greg's name was included in the listing.

www.videogamesage.com...

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:23:26 PM
WalterWhiteJr. (29)
(Frank ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Massachusetts
This is driving me nuts.

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:32:23 PM
Buyatari (14)
Ohio

its got nothing to do with zombie commando - which was some vhs tape or something and is the image below.   Red herring

Figured it had to be a red herring with that title/image mismatch, just found it interesting that Greg's name was included in the listing.

Both were illustrated by the same guy but other than that you can't get much further apart.

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:19:55 PM
< Lolo Lord >
Florida
It's very probable that this was not published. Many pieces are produced for video games or other merchandise and then never used. I remember seeing that item on ebay a few times and I spoke with the seller. After doing some research myself, I could not find it linked to anything that was published. Now, that doesn't mean for a fact that it wasn't used, but I'm doubtful it was. So anyway, if I had to guess I would say "unused art". Very pretty though!

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:26:43 PM
WalterWhiteJr. (29)
(Frank ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Massachusetts
I spent more time than I care to admit searching the deep crevices of the internet for a published link. Nothing!

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:37:42 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
I get a strong Shining Force vibe from that picture, but the sword isn't right.

Let's Go Penguins!

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:56:44 PM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
That might be my favorite of all of the ones that you've shown in the last several months, simply awesome. No luck searching for it though! It feels familiar, yet different.

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:58:23 PM
Buyatari (14)
Ohio
Originally posted by: WalterWhiteJr.

I spent more time than I care to admit searching the deep crevices of the internet for a published link. Nothing!

Originally posted by: avatar!

It's very probable that this was not published. Many pieces are produced for video games or other merchandise and then never used. I remember seeing that item on ebay a few times and I spoke with the seller. After doing some research myself, I could not find it linked to anything that was published. Now, that doesn't mean for a fact that it wasn't used, but I'm doubtful it was. So anyway, if I had to guess I would say "unused art". Very pretty though!

BAH!!
It is always possible it was not published but out of the hundreds of Greg Winters paintings that I have seen just a few were unpublished. I think you guys just need more incentive.

See the first post for details.
$100 BOUNTY added.

Feb 27, 2017 at 8:04:27 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Buyatari

BAH!!
It is always possible it was not published but out of the hundreds of Greg Winters paintings that I have seen just a few were unpublished. 

agreed - his 'not published' rate is like 1%.  

Does this mean I can collect $100 for every image I've identified in the past?  hmmm

actually I will take shipping favors in lieu      Speaking of which, you receive a package today?

Edited: 02/27/2017 at 08:05 PM by Bronty

Feb 27, 2017 at 8:14:03 PM
Buyatari (14)
Ohio

Originally posted by: Buyatari

BAH!!
It is always possible it was not published but out of the hundreds of Greg Winters paintings that I have seen just a few were unpublished. 

agreed - his 'not published' rate is like 1%.  

Does this mean I can collect $100 for every image I've identified in the past?  hmmm

actually I will take shipping favors in lieu      Speaking of which, you receive a package today?

This one might be tough because we don't know much about it. 
Don't know the game title, publisher,what system it was for or what format it was published in.
Could be a game cover or it could be an ad. Lots of possibilities but I swear Ive seen this before. 

Someone will find it. It could be you !

No packages today. Sorry.