Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Is this SNES manual a factory mistake, or tampered with? Odd error on SNES manual

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:57:38 PM
85collector (49)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia
Hi guys,
So I got some nice SNES manuals today, and one of them, Gradius III, is missing what looks like a quarter of an inch from the bottom. The "Entertainment System" text underneath "Super Nintendo" is missing, and so is the "Printed in Japan" on the bottom of the back cover. I've included pictures of a correct, similar-looking manual, also Konami: Contra III.

What's bizzare is the manual is not a quarter inch shorter than the others. And the outer cover is maybe three milimeters shorter than the pages. It doesn't look like it was cut or rebound, and it certainly isn't a photocopy or something. Does anyone know if it might be 1) a good fake, 2) someone cut it for some inconceivable reason, or 3) some kind of rare factory error? 

Since the missing segment is longer than the difference between the manual's height and a correct manual's height, I am thinking it might be a misprint. Thanks for any help!!

-------------------------
My FS thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...

Aug 2, 2014 at 6:35:11 PM
shortstop444 (12)

< El Ripper >
California
I'm going to say it's a nice looking fake or reprint. Mine is 6 13/16" H so check that first. But it looks like it's stretched which is why the bottom looks chopped. The colors look too bright and the white lettering seams a bit fuzzy. The SN in the corner should be thinner like the SN on the Contra manual.

Aug 2, 2014 at 8:10:20 PM
Phins (68)
(-P Z T-) < Kraid Killer >
Utah
I think it's legit. Printing errors like this are definitely not unheard of, but are usually the realm of box inserts on 6th gen consoles

We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the Era we live in; we will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the times demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists.
And yes, we may all be headed straight to Hell, but what better place for us than this? It is our only home.
Our Heaven, and our Hell.
This, is Outer Heaven.

Aug 2, 2014 at 8:21:49 PM
85collector (49)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia
Gradius III is 6 12/16'', just the tiniest bit shorter. And the cover is another two 16'' shorter than the inside pages. I can say for sure, however, that the printing looks legit and sharp in person. "S" in "Super Nintendo" is also actually the same height on each manual. Also, the Contra manual is a bit faded and worn so Gradius looks bright in comparion. Odd, because I've seen fakes and photocopies, etc, but this looks just like the real thing. It also came with three others that are defintiely legit, and the person had them all from the 90s. Interesting. Thanks for the guess!

Aug 2, 2014 at 9:12:35 PM
shortstop444 (12)

< El Ripper >
California
Another reason why it was stretched is to cut off the "Made in Japan" at the bottom on the back cover. Definitely not a first printing. I have 4 copies of the Gradius maual and none of them are even close to being that far off at the bottom. It's a reprint. Probably goes with a "Made in Mexico" box/game.

Similar to the THQ Star Wars games. You can definitely tell the manuals are reprints.

Aug 2, 2014 at 9:27:26 PM
85collector (49)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia
Thanks, that sounds right. I was thinking it was a Mexico reprint, but I've never seen a Gradius III from Mexico. It's also heavy paper, not the thinner stuff the Majesco re-releases were made with. I guess those were worse than most other releases. 

I'm not bothered by it really, I just wanted to know it really was sold with a game legit at some point. My Gradius cart is an original Japanese, but I guess I'll hold onto the manual anyway. Thanks!

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:47:37 PM
Nes Gangsta (90)
< Meka Chicken >
New York
looks legit, actually looks like it was cut a bit shorter and then binded like that. probably shouldn't have passed strict nintendo quality control but they cant catch it all. cutter error if anything.

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:12:39 AM
nintendopower_4_ever (75)

(john smith) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: shortstop444

Another reason why it was stretched is to cut off the "Made in Japan" at the bottom on the back cover. Definitely not a first printing. I have 4 copies of the Gradius maual and none of them are even close to being that far off at the bottom. It's a reprint. Probably goes with a "Made in Mexico" box/game.

Similar to the THQ Star Wars games. You can definitely tell the manuals are reprints.

There is no "Made in Mexico" version of Gradius III and I don't think it even had a reprint

I would guess this is a printing error, but I have had manuals from a few rental stores where the covers or pages were trimmed when the edges got ragged because it was harder to make copies to put out with rentals.

Aug 3, 2014 at 1:07:35 PM
shortstop444 (12)

< El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: nintendopower_4_ever

Originally posted by: shortstop444

There is no "Made in Mexico" version of Gradius III and I don't think it even had a reprint

I would guess this is a printing error, but I have had manuals from a few rental stores where the covers or pages were trimmed when the edges got ragged because it was harder to make copies to put out with rentals.

I still think the manual was copied and reprinted. Which would also explain the error. Could be possible a box was also copied and reprinted.

Aug 3, 2014 at 4:52:55 PM
85collector (49)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia
You mean a fake, or a cheaper second printing release? I swear it doesn't look fake, everything is just right except for the missing bit. 

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:17:50 PM
shortstop444 (12)

< El Ripper >
California
Yes.

"Similar to the THQ Star Wars games."

The SN # at the top is pretty close to the same location as yours so by the time you get to the bottom it looks like appx. 3/16' got cut off. That's far too much of a length difference to be a simple printing error of a first printing. Also notice ALL the white lettring (front and back) looks thinner on mine. It's possible that the manual was from a former rental and someone made a new cover page.
Here are what all 4 of mine look like:

Edited: 08/04/2014 at 04:35 AM by shortstop444