Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Rayman Legends The very best in modern platforming?

Nov 27, 2015 at 3:24:35 PM
0xero0 (230)
(Drunk Robot) < Kraid Killer >
Oregon
Is there another game that even compares? This game is great. Beautifully animated, and a whole lot of fun.
Are there any other games from the last generation (specifically for the PS3)similar to this one that I missed out on? 
Prinny for the PSP comes to mind, as well as Trine 2, although its more puzzler than platformer.

-------------------------
Open to trades http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Nov 27, 2015 at 3:49:12 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
Well, it depends on what exactly you're looking for. Visual-wise? The only thing that would compare would be the LittleBigPlanet series, which also has fantastic gameplay. However my pic for the very best platformer to come out in several years would have to be Shovel Knight. If you love platformers and haven't played Shovel knight, you're doing yourself an extreme disservice.

My eBay feedback
"Hey have you guys ever pekt I nx thrn b gh ed g?"

Nov 27, 2015 at 3:54:48 PM
Gandlin (17)
< El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: 0xero0

Is there another game that even compares? This game is great. Beautifully animated, and a whole lot of fun.
Are there any other games from the last generation (specifically for the PS3)similar to this one that I missed out on? 
Prinny for the PSP comes to mind, as well as Trine 2, although its more puzzler than platformer.
Rayman Origins on PS3 is a very under rated platformer IMO. Legends actually remastered a bunch of levels from Origins so in a way you're sort of getting part of Origins with Legends. I own both and for some reason I feel that Origins plays better but Legends looks better.

I'd also suggest The Puppeteer for PS3 because it's a fun, whimsical, unique platformer all together. I'm already tempted to pick up Knack (made by the same folks that did The Puppeteer) and try that out.

Oddworld New N Tasty is another fun platformer, very similar to the original 2 games if you're into them. There's good humor, the continuing story from the earlier games and some challenging but fun gameplay.

Edited: 11/27/2015 at 03:58 PM by Gandlin

Nov 27, 2015 at 4:33:50 PM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
My vote goes to Origins over Legends. I like them both, but Origins is just more fun for me.

Shovel Knight is great, but I don't really count it as a current gen game because of the style. While it has it's own charm in artistry, it isn't designed to make use of modern visual effects. For that reason, I don't consider it a "modern platformer". It's a retro platformer.

Nov 27, 2015 at 4:50:45 PM
0xero0 (230)
Oregon
Originally posted by: Mad Martigan

Rayman Origins on PS3 is a very under rated platformer IMO. Legends actually remastered a bunch of levels from Origins so in a way you're sort of getting part of Origins with Legends. I own both and for some reason I feel that Origins plays better but Legends looks better.

I'd also suggest The Puppeteer for PS3 because it's a fun, whimsical, unique platformer all together. I'm already tempted to pick up Knack (made by the same folks that did The Puppeteer) and try that out.

Oddworld New N Tasty is another fun platformer, very similar to the original 2 games if you're into them. There's good humor, the continuing story from the earlier games and some challenging but fun gameplay.

I just looked at the Puppeteer the other day and I thought it looked interesting. I didn't know there was a new Oddworld game. Thanks for the recommendations.
As for Shovel Knight, I plan on playing that some day. I picked up a physical copy on PS4, but I don't have a system yet.

Nov 27, 2015 at 5:50:50 PM
cdawg (3)
(Chantelle ) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario
Rayman Legends is one of my favourite modern platformers for sure. Given that it was originally designed specifically for the Wii U (and that's the version that I own and play) I would say you miss out playing it on other consoles. Each console obviously has its pros and cons and every gamer is going to have their biases depending on which they like more...but I would recommend playing Legends on the Wii U so you can experience how the game was intended to be. Otherwise, the way you complete the levels (even though the layouts are the same) are adapted. You have far less freedom in terms of how Murphy interacts if you don't play on the Gamepad. It's also way more fun to me to play multi-player with the Wii U as the person using the Gamepad uses the touchscreen to interact with and trigger things in the environment for the other player(s). Just an opinion of course, but certainly adds more to the game. Regardless of the console it's beautiful though

Nov 27, 2015 at 6:16:34 PM
ifightdragons (7)
< Lolo Lord >
Norway
I tried them both, unfortunately did not enjoy myself at all.

The hand-drawn art and animations were killer though, of course.

I write shorthand reviews of every classic game I beat on The Backloggery, have a look-see.

Nov 27, 2015 at 6:29:35 PM
XYZ (76)
< King Solomon >
Ohio
I really like the Giana Sisters on PS3, quite amazing 2d gameplay, great gimmick of switching personality, and amazing graphics.

Nov 27, 2015 at 6:54:03 PM
D~Funk (81)
(David Qualls) < Master Higgins >
Oregon
Love both Origins an Legends! Great games!

Also for modern platformers I really enjoyed the Little Big Planet Series, Puppeteer, Ori and the Blind Forrest, and alot of the Wii U greats like Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Yoshi's Woolly World!

"Thats what i am, i'm just a grumpy guy with a big nose."

Edited: 11/27/2015 at 06:58 PM by D~Funk

Nov 27, 2015 at 7:29:16 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: dqualls187

Love both Origins an Legends! Great games! Also for modern platformers I really enjoyed the Little Big Planet Series, Puppeteer, Ori and the Blind Forrest, and alot of the Wii U greats like Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Yoshi's Woolly World!
Hell yeah, I could've made this exact post. Ori and the Blind Forest is also one of the best platformers in recent memory to me, it just sucks that it's an XB1 exclusive!

My eBay feedback

Nov 27, 2015 at 7:55:36 PM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
Origins and Legends were both fantastic games, you don't hear enough about them. Tropical Freeze on the Wii U is really good as well.

SW-6786-5095-2210

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:31:37 PM
D~Funk (81)
Oregon
Originally posted by: Quazonk

Love both Origins an Legends! Great games! Also for modern platformers I really enjoyed the Little Big Planet Series, Puppeteer, Ori and the Blind Forrest, and alot of the Wii U greats like Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Yoshi's Woolly World!
Hell yeah, I could've made this exact post. Ori and the Blind Forest is also one of the best platformers in recent memory to me, it just sucks that it's an XB1 exclusive!

Hell yeah! Loved Ori! Also wish it wasn't xbone exclusive. I gotta say, I'm not a huge fan of the xbone. I usually try not to hate on systems and usually pick up all of em to have the exclusives, but I'm just not that into it. I think not being able to play Rare Relay without connecting to the Internet for a update or whatever was sort of a turning point for me. Gradually becoming less an less of a fan. Mainly got the system to get Halo 5 when it came out and I havnt even picked it up yet. If it wasn't for Ori and the few exclusives I still wanna play I'd probably get rid of it. I've had the system since the Master Chief bundle came out and barely play it. Have barely even touched Sunset Overdrive which I was really looking forward to.

Edited: 11/27/2015 at 08:35 PM by D~Funk

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:52:52 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia

Hell yeah! Loved Ori! Also wish it wasn't xbone exclusive. I gotta say, I'm not a huge fan of the xbone. I usually try not to hate on systems and usually pick up all of em to have the exclusives, but I'm just not that into it. I think not being able to play Rare Relay without connecting to the Internet for a update or whatever was sort of a turning point for me. Gradually becoming less an less of a fan. Mainly got the system to get Halo 5 when it came out and I havnt even picked it up yet. If it wasn't for Ori and the few exclusives I still wanna play I'd probably get rid of it. I've had the system since the Master Chief bundle came out and barely play it. Have barely even touched Sunset Overdrive which I was really looking forward to.

Yep, again another post I could've made. Sunset Overdrive looked great to me, it looked like some crazy mix of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Grand Theft Auto, Ratchet & Clank, and Splatoon, and it seemed like the perfect game for me. Then I played it for a bit and was like ehhhhh whatever. I'm one step ahead of you though, I already sold my xbox. No regrets about buying it though, because I got to play all the way through Ori on it, and that was an unforgettable experience.

My eBay feedback

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:17:41 PM
D~Funk (81)
Oregon

Yep, again another post I could've made. Sunset Overdrive looked great to me, it looked like some crazy mix of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Grand Theft Auto, Ratchet & Clank, and Splatoon, and it seemed like the perfect game for me. Then I played it for a bit and was like ehhhhh whatever. I'm one step ahead of you though, I already sold my xbox. No regrets about buying it though, because I got to play all the way through Ori on it, and that was an unforgettable experience.

Haha, dang. I sorta felt similar when I played sunset though I would still like to give it another go at some point. Ori is the only game i've actually played all the way through on the system, lol, me and my girlfriend were hooked on it! Even had my brother play all text way through it after I was done.

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:33:13 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Have you played the New Super Mario Bros series, either on Wii or Wii U? Those are the best platformers I've played in recent years.

Raymans are solid though, and I also highly recommend Shovel Knight for the 8bit style.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Nov 28, 2015 at 8:10:19 AM
fox (15)
(Gunslinger Fox) < King Solomon >
United States

Great art style and gameplay to back it up.  If you haven't tried this out you should.

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:07:02 PM
0xero0 (230)
Oregon
I tried to Like New Super Mario Bros WII as well as DKC Returns. I just couldn't get in to either of them. I'm pretty sure if I could play through them without shaking the wiimote, I would have enjoyed them a lot more. I'll give them another chance some day.
Guacamelee is one of those games I've had for about a year but haven't tried yet.

I don't own a WII U or any X Box systems, so I'll be missing out on any exclusives for those systems.
I'll probably pick up a WII U if they ever get as cheap as used WIIs did.

Nov 28, 2015 at 7:04:16 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
The NSMB series are probably my favourite platformers with DK closely behind. Rayman is a sweet game though and I am also really enjoying Yoshi's WW.

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Dec 1, 2015 at 9:00:55 PM
0xero0 (230)
Oregon
So I went and picked up Puppeteer for free during the Gamestop buy 2 get 1 free promotion last weekend.

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:01:15 PM
Webhead123 (30)
(Jordan S.) < El Ripper >
Texas
I know you said you've been looking on the PS3, although I'm new to the console myself and just getting familiar with its offerings. Still, I love platformers, so I couldn't help but share some recent experiences with those types of games across other platforms as well.

I've only played a demo of Rayman Legends (which was fun) but I do own Rayman Origins which is pretty good, though it's not one of my favorites. Sometimes I feel like the camera in Origins can zoom out a bit too far and make the sprites tiny but the overall art style and presentation is good. Some of the stages can also feel a little gimmicky at the expense of play-ability to me, which can kinda spoil the mood, thus I've never finished it.

I don't think I've played a bad Sly Cooper game yet. I haven't played the newest one (again, new to PS3) but I've been considering picking it up as I hear it lives up to the previous titles.

Even though some may call Shovel Knight a "retro platformer" because of its general appeal, I don't really buy that as an excuse to exclude it from anyone's list and think it looks amazing in its stylized way. It is also an excellent platforming game, although not terribly challenging overall and only "Mega Man hard" in a few tiny spots. Even so, it's a good enough game to be worthy of repeat playthroughs. And the music is wonderful.

I haven't gotten to play Guacamelee! yet, though I have really wanted to and it's currently on sale on X-Box Live, so I may just pull the trigger there.

If you haven't yet, you ought to play Braid.

I also hear really good things about Axiom Verge (Edit: its seems this is only on PS4...bummer) and Trine/Trine 2.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Wii U both look and sound great but something about their game play failed to capture me and I couldn't really tell you why. Super Mario World is one of my all-time favorite games. Maybe they just came across as uninspired.

Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 and Super Mario 3D World are also very pretty games and certainly fun in their own style...but they don't really satisfy me like a true 2-D platformer. I consider them their own type of game.

Take this with a grain of salt as I'm a big Donkey Kong Country fan as it is...but DKC Returns really surprised me both in terms of how great it looks and how solid the game play and level design is in it. One of the best non-retro platformers I've played in a long while. I could have done without the waggle control bits, but at least they're kept to a minimum. Because of how great Returns was, I've picked up DKC Tropical Freeze as well, though I haven't yet started that one.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Now Playing: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (Switch)
Last Beaten: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch)

Switch Friend Code: SW-2929-9013-9208

Edited: 12/01/2015 at 10:03 PM by Webhead123

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:57:51 PM
rcorporon (34)
(Ron Corporon) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
Shovel Knight and Super Meat Boy are two games that I think rival Rayman for best modern platforming game.

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:22:54 AM
Silent Hill (131)
(A-A-Ron ) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Rayman Legends/Origins is fantastic, but they get pretty tough towards the end.

I recently picked up a physical copy of Teslagrad for PS3. It's a puzzle platformer and is really solid right now. I haven't seen it in stores so I think the only place to grab it is online.

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:38:07 AM
AstralSoul13 (48)
(Mike ) < Bowser >
New York
Rayman Legends was fun, from what I played of it, but ultimately couldn't get into enough to continue playing it. I can't argue that the visuals are stunning though.

When I think of the absolute best platformers in recent years these are the ones that come to mind:
- Limbo
- Donkey Kong Country Returns
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
- Yoshi's Woolly World
- Kirby's Epic Yarn
- Shovel Knight

To me those are the absolute top of their genre. As a huge platformer fan this makes me very happy.

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:49:10 AM
BilltownSparty (87)
(Ben ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan
I gotta vote donkey kong tropical freeze as my favorite current platformer. Tons and tons and tons of content very challenging game if you are going to 100% lots of exploring and platforming to get 100%. I beat the game earlier this year at 73% completion. Just recently went back through to 100% and boy was it awesome. The bonus levels are really creative and challenging imo

Currently Playing mario sunshine, Lost vikings and paper mario color splash hd

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:52:30 AM
KAMIKAWA (25)
(Keith Kamikawa) < Kraid Killer >
Wisconsin
Tropical Freeze and Shovel Knight are the best newest platformers, although I'd consider SK more of an action platformer than a pure platformer.

For Sale: Limited Run Games http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Check out my Virtual Reality game PolyAquatic out now on iOS for Google Cardboard!
Coming Soon to Oculus Rift! 
http://polyaquatic.com/...

If you're looking for game art, pixel, 3D, or graphic design hit me up!
https://keithkamikawa.com/...