Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

2014 NintendoAge Weekly Contest Summer Tournament: Final Round - Adventure Island Contest ends Sunday, 7/27/14 at 11 PM NA time

Jul 28, 2014 at 1:09:26 AM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
Vec, I'll say it too: the drawings are awesome!

Jul 28, 2014 at 1:10:41 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
Thanks everyone! Looks like those endless hours of doodling in school have finally paid off!

-------------------------
"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Jul 28, 2014 at 1:33:06 AM
tyrantrum85 (4)
< Little Mac >
Ohio
Vectrex those drawings are awesome.

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:12:48 AM
fatalfuryspecial (31)
(cool shooter spaceship) < El Ripper >
Texas
dude yea the cartoons are great! remind me to change my avatar for next season so you have something more interesting to draw

congrats to everyone and a big thanks to our hosts!

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:32:28 AM
Thundercat08 (9)
(Alicia G) < Meka Chicken >
United States
It's funny that I would get Wild Gunman, I LOVE Back to the Future. Looks like a better copy than I have, but I May be open to trades Thanks again everyone.

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:05:23 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
So fun fact... until I looked it up last night, for some reason I always thought Clash at Demonhead was a boat racing game (presumably thinking Demonhead was a river location somewhere).

Glad to see that's not the case!

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:20:30 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

So did this game ever get a hint book or strategy guide?

The whole time I was playing, I was visualizing in my head how neat it would be to do a strategy guide in the old hand-drawn style that showed the hidden eggs and level layouts.

Wanted to bump this comment, since nobody chimed in on the question.

Did Hudson release strategy guides for any of the Adventure Island games?  (like the HAL guides for Lolo)

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:27:51 AM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States

separately. So did this game get a hint book or strategy guide?

The whole time I was playing, I was visualizing in my head how neat it would be to do a strategy guide in the old hand-drawn style that showed the hidden eggs and level layouts.

Did Hudson release strategy guides for any of the Adventure Island games?  (like the HAL guides for Lolo)

There was a guide in one of the early Nintendo Powers. Maybe issue 4 or 5. I'm not aware of any guide released separately.

Edited: 07/28/2014 at 11:29 AM by SwiftFrost

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:30:08 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: LukeAF24

separately. So did this game get a hint book or strategy guide?

There was a guide in one of the early Nintendo Powers. Maybe issue 4 or 5. I'm not aware of any guide released separately.

Did it cover the whole game?  Or was it one of those where they tease you with the first 2 or 3 levels?

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:48:33 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
First time dropping in the thread in a few days and all I can say is WOW. I actually fist-pumped when I saw Briguy drop the 400K+ score. =)

I'm really pleased to see that everyone had a good time during this contest and that we had a very healthy competition all the way to the end.

I said I would play along for fun this week ... well my wife was sick for part of the week so I only ended up playing maybe an hour total all week. I managed 95,550 at 2-3 which is pretty good given my prior experience with the game and overall time constraint for the week. If I were in the finals I probably would have had to sacrifice a heck of a lot of sleep just to even pretend to complete. This is a game I could definitely see myself trying to beat someday. I have beaten both 2 and 3 but it's been years since I've played either one.

Congrats to all the participants! I'm super impressed with the scores this week.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:57:52 AM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Man, congrats to all who finished in their top tiers. It was a great finish and good to see my fellow tier members bring it strong for the finals. For awhile, I thought the weekly tournament was slowing down since not alot of people were posting scores (myself included). But, its good to see this happen and breathe some new life!

Like before, I'm just submitting scores if I own the cart so I was surprised to see me make it to the finals with only submitting a few scores here and there. Good Luck to everyone next round!

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:58:44 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: arnpoly

First time dropping in the thread in a few days and all I can say is WOW. I actually fist-pumped when I saw Briguy drop the 400K+ score. =)

I'm really pleased to see that everyone had a good time during this contest and that we had a very healthy competition all the way to the end.

I said I would play along for fun this week ... well my wife was sick for part of the week so I only ended up playing maybe an hour total all week. I managed 95,550 at 2-3 which is pretty good given my prior experience with the game and overall time constraint for the week. If I were in the finals I probably would have had to sacrifice a heck of a lot of sleep just to even pretend to complete. This is a game I could definitely see myself trying to beat someday. I have beaten both 2 and 3 but it's been years since I've played either one.

Congrats to all the participants! I'm super impressed with the scores this week.
Yeah, this is definitely on my want-to-beat list.

Given the structure of the game, even with a continue the game is a serious challenge, and beating it should probably count as one of the major accomplishments of NES gameplay.

I tinkered on an emulator early in the week to learn some of the level layouts and get a feel for it, but in terms of console play, I only really had 2 games on Saturday night and 8 hours, or so, on Sunday to figure it all out.

I feel like throwing two or three more weekend afternoons at, and beating it would definitely be a possibility.

I think map making would be critical, though, to avoid the mental overlap of some of the level design.

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:50:53 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey
Just looked up what the record is for this game on Twin Galaxies... Tom has the record with over 700k points!

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:55:44 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

Yeah, this is definitely on my want-to-beat list.

Given the structure of the game, even with a continue the game is a serious challenge, and beating it should probably count as one of the major accomplishments of NES gameplay.

I tinkered on an emulator early in the week to learn some of the level layouts and get a feel for it, but in terms of console play, I only really had 2 games on Saturday night and 8 hours, or so, on Sunday to figure it all out.

I feel like throwing two or three more weekend afternoons at, and beating it would definitely be a possibility.

I think map making would be critical, though, to avoid the mental overlap of some of the level design.

I definitely agree with this statement.  I remember watching the GCCX episode of this and even the AD couldn't beat it.  And in any sort of play time I haven't really gained any traction in making progress.  My 2-3 run the other day was easily my best attempt ever.

I would feel no shame in beating it with the continue code ... that's probably how I will end up beating it. 

Map making would be useful for sure if you're wanting to one-shot the game without continues.  I imagine the game can be "brute-forced" if continues are in play.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Jul 28, 2014 at 1:03:24 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

I imagine the game can be "brute-forced" if continues are in play.

I wouldn't count on it.  The end levels are a HUGE jump in difficulty and once you are disarmed they get even harder.

at some point the extra lives and continues are superfluous without a weapon...

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:12:26 PM
Thundercat08 (9)
(Alicia G) < Meka Chicken >
United States
I made notes which helped some but I hard time trying to make a note of where the damn frogs are, and reading and playing breaks the mojo.