Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sega cd model 1 won't turn on. Anyone repair them? Blown fuse I believe

Jun 16 at 4:14:50 PM
Turbo Maniac (24)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Arizona
I bought a sega cd model 1 and it won’t turn on. I’ve cleaned the connections and still nothing. I think it’s a blown fuse.

Are these hard to replace? Anyone know someone who fixes them?

Jun 17 at 12:04:24 AM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Yeah it's a very common issue with models 1 and 2. Really easy to replace the fuse. Just 2 solder points to desolder after you remove the power board.

Jun 17 at 12:46:30 AM
Duke.Togo (114)
(Christopher Cantrell) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
If it's the fuse, it's a pretty easy fix. I would HIGHLY recommend that you have it recapped at the same time. The capacitors on the main board are notorious for leaking, and I narrowly avoided permanent damage to mine when I recapped it. Might as well toss on a new belt as well if you are going that far.

Jun 17 at 7:06:58 AM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
sounds like the Pico fuse

Jun 17 at 10:00:43 AM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
Originally posted by: Duke.Togo

If it's the fuse, it's a pretty easy fix. I would HIGHLY recommend that you have it recapped at the same time. The capacitors on the main board are notorious for leaking, and I narrowly avoided permanent damage to mine when I recapped it. Might as well toss on a new belt as well if you are going that far.
Agreed, all these issues are only a matter of time. The first time I worked on my model 1, I only replaced the fuse. A few months later the caps went out. You can tell this when you turn it on and only the background screen loads, no menu options or Sega logo. Do it all at once and save yourself some time and headache. 

Edited: 06/17/2019 at 10:01 AM by themisfit138

Jun 17 at 10:06:14 AM
ginoscope (20)
(Gino R.) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
Like everyone has said it is very wise to check the capacitors to make sure they are not leaking. My model 1 was in pristine shape and the caps were leaking all over the place.

-------------------------

Jun 17 at 10:22:13 AM
Duke.Togo (114)
Indiana
My model 1 I had bought personally a little after launch, and it was always climate controlled. Those caps are just bad, and should always be replaced.

As to who to get for service, I'd reach out to someone like Voultar on Twitter for a recommendation. I do my own work, so I don't have someone to personally refer you to.

Jun 17 at 3:34:21 PM
Turbo Maniac (24)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Arizona
Thanks for the replies guys. Is the fuse install a hard job? I don't now how to solder but I learn quickly.

Jun 17 at 10:08:49 PM
Duke.Togo (114)
Indiana
Fairly easy. Besides a soldering iron and the right solder, you'll probably want some no-clean flux and desoldering braid or pump. Don't leave heat on the pads for too long or they may delaminate. There are a lot of tutorials online. You can find the fuse here: https://console5.com/store/fuse-1...

I'd recommend practicing on a peice of dead or unwanted electronics to get comfortable before you tackle something expensive. Remove and replace existing components on the board a few times until you feel comfortable. The fuse is through-hole, so you may need an older peice of electronics to practice with.

Edited: 06/17/2019 at 10:11 PM by Duke.Togo