Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The Powerpak thread Links, Incompatibility list, Mappers, Tips, Troubleshooting, Downloads

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:09:04 PM
KaiserGX (1)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona
Is the Powerpak 2 still a thing? Or was it already released and that's the difference between the first one?

-------------------------
Check out my gaming/drawing channel over at https://www.youtube.com/c/KaiserGX, thanks!

Oct 8, 2016 at 12:19:12 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: KaiserGX

Is the Powerpak 2 still a thing? Or was it already released and that's the difference between the first one?
IDK. Brian is working on delivering the AVS right now. I think a Scoreboard passthrough device for original systems is also in the works as I saw a photo of a ptototype. Maybe PowerPak 2 will come someday, as PowerPak and Everdrive N8 are equally yoked, but N8 has usability features such as automatic saving which the PowerPak 1 still doesn't support and probably never will.

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 10/08/2016 at 12:21 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Oct 8, 2016 at 12:47:43 AM
KaiserGX (1)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona
I guess I will hold out one day. So no one knows what PowerPak 2 is suppose to be then?

Either way love the AVS. I didn't know about this until after it was released so I wasn't following it up until release but this is my favorite NES console ever. The design is just perfect and IMO just beat the original system. There's some minor things to work out but easily fixable. I feel like this is what the model 2 should have been. Smaller, sleeker and still looking like it would be an official design by Nintendo.

Check out my gaming/drawing channel over at https://www.youtube.com/c/KaiserGX, thanks!

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:16:48 AM
KaiserGX (1)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona
Sorry I caved in and ordered an Everdrive N8. I hope Bunnyboy doesn't give me 40 lashes. I don't think the PowerPak2 is needed as much now though... So I would prefer he goes into development on that AVP instead. There's no good portable to play NES games on.

Nov 17, 2016 at 1:06:52 AM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
Someone has to fill me in on exactly what the deal is with all these new and updated files for the PowerPaks. I got mine years ago and loaded the initial versions from the retrousb.com website. I kept hearing new ones being released but each time I check the site they're not posted there. Are these custom made or something? Why doesn't the owner review the code and push it out as an official release? How do I get them? Which are best? I have both PowerPaks, thanks.
Oh, and also why would I want them?

Nov 17, 2016 at 5:36:36 AM
erac (0)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
They fix bugs in games and allow new games to work. The original owner is not interested, so the third-party firmwares are released elsewhere.

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:40:28 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: erac

They fix bugs in games and allow new games to work. The original owner is not interested, so the third-party firmwares are released elsewhere.

Mapper packs and system files you drop on the card are not technially firmware.
Originally posted by: bootload

Someone has to fill me in on exactly what the deal is with all these new and updated files for the PowerPaks. I got mine years ago and loaded the initial versions from the retrousb.com website. I kept hearing new ones being released but each time I check the site they're not posted there. Are these custom made or something? Why doesn't the owner review the code and push it out as an official release? How do I get them? Which are best? I have both PowerPaks, thanks.
What I did some time ago was dump the version 1.35b system menu plus mapper packs onto the SD card, then copy the Loopy mapper packs (new mappers plus bugfixes) on top of that. I'm not really a fan of the PowerMappers since the save states require custom SAV files to be created.

Originally posted by: KaiserGX

Sorry I caved in and ordered an Everdrive N8. I hope Bunnyboy doesn't give me 40 lashes. I don't think the PowerPak2 is needed as much now though... So I would prefer he goes into development on that AVP instead. There's no good portable to play NES games on.

Powerpak is still my goto flash cart for the AVS / scoreboard, but I now use the Everdrive for any games that have SRAM saves. And I skipped the Super PowerPak and went straight to the Super Everdrive for this exact reason. I guess Brian will just have to give me 40 lashings already...  

PowerPak - needs to create custom SAV files for every ROM; NSF support.
Everdrive N8 - SAV files auto generated; no NSF player.

Edited: 11/17/2016 at 10:49 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Nov 22, 2016 at 8:44:46 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
Originally posted by: bootload

You can download them from the first post, under "Mapper releases", there is a dropbox link. They are ready to use for max compatibility and features.

Nov 22, 2016 at 10:01:57 PM
KaiserGX (1)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

Originally posted by: erac

Mapper packs and system files you drop on the card are not technially firmware.
Originally posted by: bootload

What I did some time ago was dump the version 1.35b system menu plus mapper packs onto the SD card, then copy the Loopy mapper packs (new mappers plus bugfixes) on top of that. I'm not really a fan of the PowerMappers since the save states require custom SAV files to be created.

Originally posted by: KaiserGX

Powerpak is still my goto flash cart for the AVS / scoreboard, but I now use the Everdrive for any games that have SRAM saves. And I skipped the Super PowerPak and went straight to the Super Everdrive for this exact reason. I guess Brian will just have to give me 40 lashings already...  

PowerPak - needs to create custom SAV files for every ROM; NSF support.
Everdrive N8 - SAV files auto generated; no NSF player.

I went with the Everdrive mostly because it uses SD card, I can't use/find those around easier then I can with... whatever the PowerPak used. Also I was able to get one in a green transulent cart.  

Nov 23, 2016 at 2:41:06 PM
snstay (0)
(scott taylor) < Crack Trooper >
Michigan
Im having trouble understanding how the save slots work. what is the ,pow files and how are the relatied to saving a game.

Nov 23, 2016 at 3:59:39 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: snstay

Im having trouble understanding how the save slots work. what is the ,pow files and how are the relatied to saving a game.
This is all you need to know.

It is a powerful item. Use with caution.  

In all seriousness, I never really used save states with the Powermappers so I can't help you much. Managing SAV files is IMO more trouble than it's worth on the PowerPak, but Everdrive N8 autogenerates the necessary files making things much easier.

Edited: 11/23/2016 at 04:00 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:55:42 PM
snstay (0)
Michigan
Yeah I don't use them much either but if they are there I'd like to know how to use them.

Nov 24, 2016 at 9:13:25 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico
Originally posted by: snstay

Yeah I don't use them much either but if they are there I'd like to know how to use them.

It is actually easy. In the files I make available there are save state files for every licensed game. They even have the same names as the roms (if you have them correctly named), so that the Powerpak can autoselect them. Each powermapper save file has 5 slots, that is enough in most cases.

Jan 7, 2017 at 10:05:21 PM
r0ni (0)

< Cherub >
The NSF links and the bat file link for creating sav files are all invalid. Can we get updates for them? Does anyone have the makesave.bat saved locally?

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:54:09 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico
Originally posted by: r0ni

The NSF links and the bat file link for creating sav files are all invalid. Can we get updates for them? Does anyone have the makesave.bat saved locally?

Thank you, I'll look into that.

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:33:22 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Is there any benefits of owning a PowerPak over an NES EverDrive?

Just wondering as the EverDrive is the cheaper option, and if there is no significant reasons to own a PowerPak instead then I will buy the EverDrive instead.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:47:28 AM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico
Originally posted by: ToxieRules

Is there any benefits of owning a PowerPak over an NES EverDrive?

Just wondering as the EverDrive is the cheaper option, and if there is no significant reasons to own a PowerPak instead then I will buy the EverDrive instead.

Well, not many really. The Powerpak was the only option for the longest time. The Everdrive has similar compatibility than the Powerpak with the mapper mix...Powerpak has better compatibility with MMC5 (mainly KOEI games), NWC and some pirate games, and Everdrive with several obscure Famicom games. Most is stuff that most people never play. Powerpak probably loads faster (Everdrive page says it takes 4-8 seconds, Powerpak takes 1-4).

If you care about savestates, both have pros and cons: Powerpak has the Powermappers, and savefiles have 5 slots per file and a fancier ingame menu, but by using them you forfeit Game Genie codes. You can use the older save state mappers if you want to keep game genie (losing the 5 slots per file and menu). Everdrive I think, can save states to the card without needing a preexisting file (I ignore if you can have more than one save state though), while Powerpak requires you to paste as many files as you need (I created slot files and savestate files that you can use in my mapper cocktail files, downloadable from the first post).

Here is a compatibility list for the Everdrive, compared to the Powerpak (ignore the MMC5 "incompatible" Powerpak games, all are supported now except Uncharted Waters). http://www.dbwbp.com/misc/Everdri...

Edited: 01/21/2017 at 01:52 AM by buttheadrulesagain

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:08:37 AM
Wasgo (0)

(Cameron Williams) < Cherub >
British Columbia
Is there any way to move the game selection menu on screen for the NES PowerPak? I wanted to crop the left part of the screen so I don't get junk in Super Mario 3, but then I lose the arrow to select ROMs for the PowerPak.

Jul 30, 2017 at 6:12:19 PM
Stan (81)
(Demonologist and Linguist Supreme) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
You all just need to get an Nvidia Shield and be done with it.

Aug 6, 2017 at 9:28:21 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico
Originally posted by: Stan

blasphemer

Edited: 08/06/2017 at 09:28 PM by buttheadrulesagain

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:32:17 PM
Stan (81)
(Demonologist and Linguist Supreme) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
Originally posted by: buttheadrulesagain

Originally posted by: Stan

blasphemer

I speak the new path. The true path. Every retro game you ever wanted, HD, all the time. Minimal storage.

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:03:28 PM
snstay (0)
Michigan
shield is cool but there is something better about playing on real hardware with real controllers.

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:07:11 PM
The NES Renegade (4)
< Little Mac >
Manitoba
VRC7 Audio support for PowerPak by 6502freak

http://battleofthebits.org/academ...

Sep 23, 2017 at 8:13:11 AM
Seppatoni (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Switzerland
I got some problems with my SNES PowerPak, maybe someone can help me.

First I tried to put some new games on the CF, after this the screen only showed a colorfull mess. I deleted all the files, formated the card to FAT32 and downloaded the official firmware from retrousb.com.
Now the message "Error! POWERPAK.CFG file not found!" appears. I checked my last working backup, but there wasn't any file named liked this.

Any guesses how to fix that?

> Seppatoni's Zockerstübchen

Oct 5, 2017 at 5:36:01 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico
Originally posted by: Seppatoni

I got some problems with my SNES PowerPak, maybe someone can help me.

First I tried to put some new games on the CF, after this the screen only showed a colorfull mess. I deleted all the files, formated the card to FAT32 and downloaded the official firmware from retrousb.com.
Now the message "Error! POWERPAK.CFG file not found!" appears. I checked my last working backup, but there wasn't any file named liked this.

Any guesses how to fix that?

Sorry, no clue. If you take out the CF card, it still brings the same message. or says something else? Those pins in the card connector can bend if the card is not inserted correctly...