Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Running List of NES Prototype Owners Now with Pictures!

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:11:20 AM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Ichinisan

Originally posted by: Xerxes

People:

If you're going to open your prototype game cartridge, please be ready to cover any open UV erasure windows ASAP and make sure there is no sunlight around you.

I think there is only one prototype in the whole thread so far that has exposed EPROM windows. While EPROMs are sensitive to light, especially UV light, they are not as unstable as you seem to think. Having the board out of the shell for a minute to snap a quick photo is going to be fine.

Stray UV photons won’t wipe the chip, but they can certainly flip bits and introduce corruption. It’s unlikely that a random flipped bit will have an immediately noticeable effect.

Ignorance is bliss, right?
Stupid photons and all the trouble they cause!  Seriously though, it's not something anyone should be concerned about.

the one on one proto is indeed for the NES, so may add it if you wish.

-------------------------
Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:16:09 AM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

People:

If you're going to open your prototype game cartridge, please be ready to cover any open UV erasure windows ASAP and make sure there is no sunlight around you.

I think there is only one prototype in the whole thread so far that has exposed EPROM windows. While EPROMs are sensitive to light, especially UV light, they are not as unstable as you seem to think. Having the board out of the shell for a minute to snap a quick photo is going to be fine.

Stray UV photons won’t wipe the chip, but they can certainly flip bits and introduce corruption. It’s unlikely that a random flipped bit will have an immediately noticeable effect.

Stupid photons and all the trouble they cause!  Seriously though, it's not something anyone should be concerned about.

Even cosmic rays can flip bits, and there's nothing practical you can do about that.

You actually can prevent stray UV photons from entering the erasure window. For the sake of preservation, you should do what you can.

I will continue to be concerned about that.

Edited: 07/11/2017 at 08:26 PM by Ichinisan

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:35:27 AM
Xerxes (20)
(Xerxes Dole) < El Ripper >
Ohio
Originally posted by: rlh

This was given to me as a thrown in free item with another purchase of various prototypes.  I assume this is a NES proto, but I guess there's a chance this could be fore the Arcade game.

Subsequently, anyone who could assist in dumping these (hey, I'm not asking for other dumped roms!) I'd appreciate it.  PM me.

Mark cleared up what is on them, and I have added you to the list. I think that may be the first time I have seen an NES prototype numbered that way. Cool.

Originally posted by: damcanadian

I sent you photos of my protos a while back for your photo collection, do you need me to repost them? Tengen Tetris, conquest of the crystal palace(its titled Lord of demon paradise on cart and in game), Wurm, and Play action football.

Thanks for reposting. That licensed Tengen Tetris is probably my number 2 most wanted prototype. That Lord of Demon Paradise is sweet too.
Originally posted by: bootload

Mega Man 3

Codemonkies.ca doesn't seem to have your image.

Edited: 07/11/2017 at 10:40 AM by Xerxes

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:37:07 AM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Thanks Xerxes!

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:05:40 PM
Xerxes (20)
Ohio
Originally posted by: rlh

Thanks Xerxes!

You are welcome.

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:55:20 AM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama

Mega Man 3

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:54:17 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts

People:

Even cosmic rays can flip bits, and there's nothing practical you can do about that.

You actually can prevent stray UV photons from entering the erasure window. For the sake of preservation, you should do what you can.

There are 30+ year old arcade PCBs with dozens of exposed EPROMs that function perfectly fine.  They're not vampires, they'll be fine to snap a quick picture.  I've had hundreds of protos and have done my fair share in regards to preservation.  You worry too much.

Photobucket

Edited: 07/12/2017 at 09:54 PM by MrMark0673

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:03:40 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia

People:

There are 30+ year old arcade PCBs with dozens of exposed EPROMs that function perfectly fine.  They're not vampires, they'll be fine to snap a quick picture.  I've had hundreds of protos and have done my fair share in regards to preservation.  You worry too much.

“A random flipped bit rarely has an immediately noticeable effect.” That’s still corruption and its the worst possible thing if you care about preservation even a little.

Just because you don’t know when data is damaged and corrupted doesn’t mean it’s no big deal.

Just because my game didn’t break in an immediately obvious way, I should not assume that every data bit is intact.

Edited: 07/13/2017 at 08:21 AM by Ichinisan

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:05:29 PM
zeldaboy (162)
(Andrew DeRouin) < King Solomon >
Florida
I didn't intend my quick pic to cause a debate, but yes I knew what I was doing :-) I actually dimmed the lights in the room some too. It really isn't a big deal, it takes a pretty intense UV exposure to do anything at all afaik.

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:08:04 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Originally posted by: zeldaboy

I didn't intend my quick pic to cause a debate, but yes I knew what I was doing :-) I actually dimmed the lights in the room some too. It really isn't a big deal, it takes a pretty intense UV exposure to do anything at all afaik.

No worries. I just feel it’s something people don’t take seriously only because everyone else tells them “eh, it’s fine.” I haven’t seen any reason to believe that.

Because it takes intense or prolonged exposure to thoroughly erase all bits, some people assume precautions are not needed.

Edited: 07/12/2017 at 10:10 PM by Ichinisan

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:25:45 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia

People:

Well, one of the protos I got from you has a byte that reads two different ways, like it is on the verge of being erased. Impossible to be sure which of the two values is correct. When he dumped it I think Lincoln logically assumed that it's likely the value that it reads most often with repeated dumps. To be more sure I'll try to figure out which byte is reading inconsistently and convert both values to binary. Because most EEPROMs are all 1s when blank (bytes of 255/FF) you can probably assume it's the opposite, though it is possible for bits to flip the other way.

The thing is, if the byte consistently read incorrectly I'd be none the wiser. I don't see any reason to assum that they are particularly hardy and that fears are unfounded. Most of the experts saying this are NOT saying it from a preservationists perspective and the ones who are are repeating it from the assurances of the others along with their own confirmation biases. Because it's unlikely for a UV-corrupted bit to ever be noticed as such it is probably not appropriate to rely on anecdotes claiming either.

Edited: 07/12/2017 at 11:27 PM by CZroe

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:45:48 AM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama

Mega Man 3

The image keeps getting deleted. I'll look into it.

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:42:21 AM
Xerxes (20)
Ohio

Mega Man 3

It seems to be working now. I got you added. Also, be sure to double check my work, I accidentally typed bootloaf at one point.

Jul 13, 2017 at 8:09:08 AM
daillest (225)
(Joe ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
Glad to see a new thread. I'm not sure if requiring the pictures is a great idea. You don't want to create a roadmap for scammers  

My Wanted to Buy/Trade Thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...

My Ebay Listings
http://www.ebay.com/sch/daillest/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&a...

Jul 13, 2017 at 9:14:53 AM
Xerxes (20)
Ohio
Originally posted by: daillest

Glad to see a new thread. I'm not sure if requiring the pictures is a great idea. You don't want to create a roadmap for scammers  
I was excited when I saw that you posted to the thread. I am a little sad your post has no prototypes in it.  

If you are worried about people jacking you photos, you can always watermark them like Zeldaboy has. I think the risk of them copying a specific prototype is limited to a few very high profile titles. There are already a lot of prototype pictures out there for a general guide. I think the risk is real, but relatively small.

There are people on NintendoAge that have over 100 prototypes. There are some that only have one (and it is fake). I don't have any way of knowing someone's experience level. I don't want to be treating people differently based on my perception of their experience level. Scamming is one of the reasons for the photos. There has been a rash of fakes posted lately. When people post their new acquisitions here, the community will get a chance to verify it. I hope in the end, I am doing more good than harm.

I guess people who disagree with my risk assessment just won't post. This isn't what I want. I want this to be as successful as the first thread.

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:35:43 AM
MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: CZroe

People:

Well, one of the protos I got from you has a byte that reads two different ways, like it is on the verge of being erased. Impossible to be sure which of the two values is correct. When he dumped it I think Lincoln logically assumed that it's likely the value that it reads most often with repeated dumps. To be more sure I'll try to figure out which byte is reading inconsistently and convert both values to binary. Because most EEPROMs are all 1s when blank (bytes of 255/FF) you can probably assume it's the opposite, though it is possible for bits to flip the other way.

The thing is, if the byte consistently read incorrectly I'd be none the wiser. I don't see any reason to assum that they are particularly hardy and that fears are unfounded. Most of the experts saying this are NOT saying it from a preservationists perspective and the ones who are are repeating it from the assurances of the others along with their own confirmation biases. Because it's unlikely for a UV-corrupted bit to ever be noticed as such it is probably not appropriate to rely on anecdotes claiming either.

First, EEPROMs =/= EPROMs.  Not too concerned about UV influencing my EEPROMs...

I'm not sure what protos I sold to you, I've sold hundreds over the years.  Were the EPROM windows uncovered?  If not, the volatility of the EPROM is your concern, and the UV exposure is a moot point.  Also, if Lincoln dumped it, it was overwhelmingly likely that it was a proto that had issues to begin with as I only ever sent Lincoln things that I couldn't successfully dump it myself.  What caused the issues is anyone's guess, they had a long life before ending up in my hands.

When I dump a retail proto, I immediately compare it to retail.  In doing such, all of the "final" versions of games I've dumped have been byte for byte identical to the retail counterpart.  Pretty easy way to identify whether a byte has been changed.  With hundreds of examples to my credit, and with so many examples of byte for byte identical code, I personally am not concerned about the volatility of these EPROMs.

You can certainly call it confirmation bias if you'd like, but I've had far more experience than most here in proto preservation and I have no concerns at all about taking a quick picture with the EPROMs uncovered.  Far too many sideline experts demand people cover the EPROMs while doing little personally to help preserve these pieces.  It just comes off as silly.

Photobucket

Jul 13, 2017 at 9:13:20 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia

First, EEPROMs =/= EPROMs.  Not too concerned about UV influencing my EEPROMs...

I'm not sure what protos I sold to you, I've sold hundreds over the years.  Were the EPROM windows uncovered?  If not, the volatility of the EPROM is your concern, and the UV exposure is a moot point.  Also, if Lincoln dumped it, it was overwhelmingly likely that it was a proto that had issues to begin with as I only ever sent Lincoln things that I couldn't successfully dump it myself.  What caused the issues is anyone's guess, they had a long life before ending up in my hands.

When I dump a retail proto, I immediately compare it to retail.  In doing such, all of the "final" versions of games I've dumped have been byte for byte identical to the retail counterpart.  Pretty easy way to identify whether a byte has been changed.  With hundreds of examples to my credit, and with so many examples of byte for byte identical code, I personally am not concerned about the volatility of these EPROMs.

You can certainly call it confirmation bias if you'd like, but I've had far more experience than most here in proto preservation and I have no concerns at all about taking a quick picture with the EPROMs uncovered.  Far too many sideline experts demand people cover the EPROMs while doing little personally to help preserve these pieces.  It just comes off as silly.
Ichinisan has been dumping unreleased ROMs since the SNES was still current so he's probably not the sideline expert others might assume him to be. Heck, it even extends beyond mask ROMs: he's recovered Nintendo confidential utilities deleted from a serviced Wii by way of a raw NAND dump and he worked with someone else to dump and extract Master Quest from the GC disc before it was released. This was also before any GC rip method/utility was made public... though that was mostly thanks to an IRC EFNET friend who happened to be local and was privy to a release group's inside utility (we already had the PSO exploit running, at least).

My phone's auto-generated dictionary frequently "corrects" EPROM" to "EEPROM" just because I routinely use that (correctly) in other discussions. It should be pretty clear now that we know the difference so I apologize for the distraction.

Other than being long-time preservationists involved with obtaining and dumping early copies and protos, Ichinisan and I have even more in common with you and BeaglePuss: we are also twins.  

I'm not blaming you for anything. I was simply responding to your anecdote intended to show how hardy they are with one that shows the opposite while hopefully demonstrating how easy it is to ignore contrary evidence (especially where we can't even look/test). I only mentioned that it came from you so it would be clear how close to home this particular anecdote it is.

No, the EPROMs weren't uncovered, though they use paper and not the reflective stickers made to block UV (likely the proto assembler's choice). No one is saying you should have peeled off the dev's original sticker (GOD NO!  ) or are at fault for not protecting it. I wasn't implying that it had been mishandled in any way, only that the data can be more fragile than you and others might realize. The issue that required Lincoln was actually that it used a pinout more like a maskROM than a typically EPROM (Toshiba TC571001AD). He encountered the problematic byte after he got it to read/dump.

Yes, the volatility of my EPROMs are my concern/responsibility, but my concern extends to other prototype owners who may put too much confidence in the assurances that they will be OK. I can similarly ask how much time the arcade board was outside of the cabinet and how long it was exposed to UV light. How much UV exposure was it cumulatively exposed to? Just because it didn't have an immediate effect, how can you know if it will have an effect over the long-term (hasten bit rot; shave off 5 years of the lifetime, etc)?

The retail code is obviously preserved in the mass-produced copies so comparing a retail proto to a dump of the final retail game is of limited usefulness from a preservationist perspective but it's good for determining if your dump truly is final or not and it is good for seeing if there was any immediate corruption. For an undumped prototype of an unreleased game with unknown prior exposure (as is the case with some here) it is much more important to limit exposure, at least until it is dumped.

Now, I understand that you mention comparing dumps of hundreds of bit-for-bit identical retail protos with exposed EPROMs without finding any changes as evidence that it doesn't have measurable effect regardless of how final it is. Unfortunately, no one can say how it extrapolates to the data's integrity over time. That kind of testing take more time than any of us have (decades and decades).

Even though every single bit retained the correct value, how much time did momentary exposure shave off of their life before the cells would have lost their charge without exposure? Could be none, could be years. We can't quantify that and should probably hesitate to suggest exposure for EPROMs that have not been dumped. It may be an abundance of caution, but it just makes sense when it's so easy to cover the windows.

Think about it: if they reach that point on their own even without exposure ("bit rot") then even momentary exposure could push it closer to the tipping point (even if it doesn't immediately tip it past or corrupt it any time soon). It may be exponentially more sensitive as the years pass so advice that was perfectly fine for a fresh EPROM could be increasingly risky. All Ichinisan is saying is that it's better to be safe than sorry. At the very least, make sure it is backed up first before exposing them for something as trivial as a new photograph for this thread.

Now, it's important to distinguish perspective. I can read the datasheets and learn about the inner workings of EPROMs interacting with UV and I come to the exact same conclusion as you and the experts: momentary UV exposure is generally safe. You can generally expect to pop your uncovered chip out of the programmer and into a shell and expect it to last for decades... but a 30 year old undumped prototype with an exposed window and an unknown exposure history is not a "general" scenario. It's pretty specific.

To take that general advice and say that it's OK to expose 30+ year old chips that have undumped data for something as trivial as a photograph is a completely different beast. Lacking contrary evidence and seemingly supported by confirmation bias, this general advice has trickled down even into prototype/preservationist circles. The power of suggestion trumps even personal experience, which is why so many people now blindly believe that blowing in NES games did nothing after a MentalFloss article popularized the idea. It mindlessly repeated as fact on science channels and quizzes as an example of "confirmation bias," but these people failed to do any actual testing. I did a little bit and came to the opposite conclusion.

It's sometimes easier to play it safe than to test, which is the case here. I mean, who has decades of controlled EPROM testing with significant sample sizes to refer to? What sounds safer: taking a risk based on possible but untested assurances or not taking the risk based on possible but untested warnings? If being overly cautious is still just a matter of covering a window with a sticker or tape, I'm a lot more confident advising that for obvious reasons.

An expert discussing the functionality of the EPROM is not speaking from the perspective of preserving data that only exists on that EPROM. Without that perspective then the EPROM will work fine and if it fails the data can almost always be written back onto it.

No one's life/health is on the line here, but "I did it and it was fine and it is usually fine therefore it is always fine" is about like assuming that smoking doesn't cause lung cancer (I have an anecdote about that too). Just because you smoked several times and may know people who got lung cancer without smoking ignores the mountains of testing that proves it. Who is doing that testing here? No one. That is why we should exercise caution. If we're wrong, it's no big deal.

If curious about that lung cancer anecdote: Not even a year ago I witnessed a completely ignorant person respond to his daughter's pleas to stop smoking after his mother was diagnosed with lung cancer. His response was "that don't got nothin' to do with it. My great grandma smoked every day and lived to [90-something] without ever getting lung cancer." Guess who was diagnosed with lung cancer by the end of the year? That same yokel. His mother died earlier this year. His daughter is my niece. Thankfully, I'm related through her mother.

Edited: 07/13/2017 at 09:19 PM by CZroe

Jul 13, 2017 at 9:21:54 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I have only one proto, Robin Hood. Bought it from Mark on eBay just for the novelty of having a prototype. Hope this pic works. I don't feel like opening it up and taking another!

Jul 14, 2017 at 10:12:49 AM
Xerxes (20)
Ohio
Originally posted by: mattbep

I have only one proto, Robin Hood. Bought it from Mark on eBay just for the novelty of having a prototype. Hope this pic works. I don't feel like opening it up and taking another!

Even if I ask really nice? Please?

Jul 14, 2017 at 10:16:06 AM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Lol ok, if I remember later on.

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:55:18 AM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama

Mega Man 3

It seems to be working now. I got you added. Also, be sure to double check my work, I accidentally typed bootloaf at one point.

Someone was actually going to my site and manually deleting all my photos using the interface, I had it open to the public. Some people are just jerks. So I made some changes to prevent that from happening again.

Jul 15, 2017 at 3:22:33 PM
Xerxes (20)
Ohio

Mega Man 3

Someone was actually going to my site and manually deleting all my photos using the interface, I had it open to the public. Some people are just jerks. So I made some changes to prevent that from happening again.

I am honestly surprised that you didn't get something horrible as a replacement.

Jul 30, 2017 at 7:17:24 PM
OriginalPSP (0)
(Patrick Scott Patterson) < Little Mac >
Texas
Okay. Here we go. In order:

- Baseball Stars 
- Burai Fighter
- Heavyweight Hockey (unreleased, board only)
- Micro Machines
- Journey to Silius
- Super Sprint

Patrick Scott Patterson

www.VideoGamePreservation.com

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:06:14 PM
Xerxes (20)
Ohio
Originally posted by: OriginalPSP

Okay. Here we go. In order:

- Baseball Stars 
- Burai Fighter
- Heavyweight Hockey (unreleased, board only)
- Micro Machines
- Journey to Silius
- Super Sprint

Thanks for posting. I got you added. Please double check my work. By the way, is that Micro Machines from Thor?

Aug 1, 2017 at 9:57:25 PM
OriginalPSP (0)
(Patrick Scott Patterson) < Little Mac >
Texas
Thanks for the add, though there's actually two typos.  One is my name (the last P fell off).  The other is Heavy Weight Hockey, which actually spells it in two words.

And no, the Micro Machines didn't come from Thor.. but I thought it was funny to find it given my history with him and his connection to the game.  

Patrick Scott Patterson

www.VideoGamePreservation.com