Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The hell is up with OG xbox games being total crap price-wise

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:30:22 AM
supraderk (10)

< Eggplant Wizard >
I got into the original Xbox towards the end of last year and it has quickly become my favorite system (next to the Dreamcast)

Here's what my collection looks like as of now:

These are my games that have yet to make it to the shelves. Some are dupes and some I bought because the cases were in great condition

These are the games that are currently on the shelves

And these are my imports. I really want to get some more

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:33:40 AM
Jandrem (6)
(Josh ) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Crabmaster2000

Originally posted by: Daria

I always purposely grab multi platform games on either the PS2 of GCN solely because of how much I hate the controller for the system. I only pick up exclusive games to play on it and just try and do my best to enjoy the game despite that junky Gamepad.

What exactly did you hate about the controller?

The D-Pad is unusable, the ABXY buttons feel like fisher price made them and never seem as responsive as I want, the rear triggers have just too much give to them, I really dislike having the thumb sticks off centered, the few times I've had to use the Black and White buttons have just been horrendous and the break away cable has a tendency of  "breaking away" during game play. Just one of my least favorite controllers of all time

Sounds like you play a lot of Playstation. No, seriously, not trying to knock or make jokes. I've never heard anyone complain about the offset analog sticks that wasn't already a huge PS player, since their sticks are centered symmetrical. The ABXY buttons are actually pressure-sensitive for certain games, which is why they are a little squishier than other controllers. I don't mind it, but I can see where someone else would. I've never had a problem with the d-pad, but it is very different from most consoles. 

-------------------------
My FS/FO thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 11/18/2015 at 06:35 AM by Jandrem

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:43:50 AM
Jandrem (6)
(Josh ) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio
I'm loving these collection photos. My collection is dismal, since I only started buying casually again recently. That, and they're stacked on my bedroom tv, which isn't ideal for showing off.

Nov 18, 2015 at 8:50:39 AM
Daria (29)
(Alexandria Sanchez) < King Solomon >
Florida
Originally posted by: FritzWhite

May favorite games are: Silent Hill 2, Fatal Frame, Call of Cthulhu, Jade Empire, KOTOR2, Fable, Sudeki, Bards Tale, Baldur's Gate DA2, Still Life, and Pirates!

I haven't heard of Still Life. I'll look into that. Do you need a gun to play House of the Dead 3?

Still Life is an adventure game, you switch back and forth between time periods playing as an FBI agent and her father, a private eye. In both cases you're trying to solve a serial murder. If you like games like Syberia, it's a good one.

House of the Dead 3 is definitely a light gun game, I don't remember if you can use a controller instead, but I doubt it. 

Check out DariaPlaysRPGs on Youtube for Reviews on translated, homebrew, and classic RPGs.

Looking to buy a copy of Shining Force Genesis - Complete in excellent condition

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:08:11 AM
Crabmaster2000 (59)
(K P) < Lolo Lord >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: Jandrem

I always purposely grab multi platform games on either the PS2 of GCN solely because of how much I hate the controller for the system. I only pick up exclusive games to play on it and just try and do my best to enjoy the game despite that junky Gamepad.

The D-Pad is unusable, the ABXY buttons feel like fisher price made them and never seem as responsive as I want, the rear triggers have just too much give to them, I really dislike having the thumb sticks off centered, the few times I've had to use the Black and White buttons have just been horrendous and the break away cable has a tendency of  "breaking away" during game play. Just one of my least favorite controllers of all time

Sounds like you play a lot of Playstation. No, seriously, not trying to knock or make jokes. I've never heard anyone complain about the offset analog sticks that wasn't already a huge PS player, since their sticks are centered symmetrical. The ABXY buttons are actually pressure-sensitive for certain games, which is why they are a little squishier than other controllers. I don't mind it, but I can see where someone else would. I've never had a problem with the d-pad, but it is very different from most consoles. 

I bounce all over the place for consoles and don't tend to stick to one specific controller for very long periods. I don't play almost any FPS games though and most of the people I talk to tend to favor the offset sticks for those kinds of games. 

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/2000C...

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:

http://rfgenerationcollectorcast....
677/677 Licensed NES Games
94/94 TG16 Games

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:11:49 AM
Daria (29)
Florida

I bounce all over the place for consoles and don't tend to stick to one specific controller for very long periods. I don't play almost any FPS games though and most of the people I talk to tend to favor the offset sticks for those kinds of games. 

Like I stated earlier, I don't even use the stock controller. A good 3rd party wireless is a must for either xbox or ps2. I think an alternate controller might fix some of your complaints also. 

Check out DariaPlaysRPGs on Youtube for Reviews on translated, homebrew, and classic RPGs.

Looking to buy a copy of Shining Force Genesis - Complete in excellent condition

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:28:21 AM
Crabmaster2000 (59)
(K P) < Lolo Lord >
British Columbia

Like I stated earlier, I don't even use the stock controller. A good 3rd party wireless is a must for either xbox or ps2. I think an alternate controller might fix some of your complaints also. 

Do you have any recommendations for 3rd party Xbox controllers? I always shun 3rd party controllers for any system, but for this one I might make an exception. 

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/2000C...

94/94 TG16 Games

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:31:23 AM
Silent Hill (131)
(A-A-Ron ) < King Solomon >
Ohio

Do you have any recommendations for 3rd party Xbox controllers? I always shun 3rd party controllers for any system, but for this one I might make an exception. 

The Logitech Wireless controllers are a must: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-...

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:32:01 AM
Silent Hill (131)
Ohio
Originally posted by: supraderk

I got into the original Xbox towards the end of last year and it has quickly become my favorite system (next to the Dreamcast)

Here's what my collection looks like as of now:

These are my games that have yet to make it to the shelves. Some are dupes and some I bought because the cases were in great condition

These are the games that are currently on the shelves

And these are my imports. I really want to get some more

Deathrow is a great game. I never hear anyone mention it. 

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:36:12 AM
Daria (29)
Florida
Originally posted by: Silent Hill

The Logitech Wireless controllers are a must: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-...

I use a pellican that's not bad, but my PS2 is a logitech and that looks pretty similar. It's a nice controller.

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:38:02 AM
Crabmaster2000 (59)
(K P) < Lolo Lord >
British Columbia
Are there any good controllers that are a drastically different design?

94/94 TG16 Games

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:44:48 AM
Daria (29)
Florida

Are there any good controllers that are a drastically different design?

Here's the one I have:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft...

The black and white buttons are positioned like the playstations RB and LB as well as on the face. That's a nice touch. But it's pretty chuncky, the logitech is slimmer and will probably feel more like a standard controller. I think you'll be hard pressed to find something that doesn't have the offset sticks.

Edited: 11/18/2015 at 09:45 AM by Daria

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:49:05 AM
Crabmaster2000 (59)
(K P) < Lolo Lord >
British Columbia
I've used both of the controllers you guys mentioned already (I own a game store so I get to try a lot of hardware) and didn't like either of those controller either

Was hoping for something as far from the Xbox design as possible that I may have overlooked or not seen yet.

94/94 TG16 Games

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:50:20 AM
NickTLG (48)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois

I've used both of the controllers you guys mentioned already (I own a game store so I get to try a lot of hardware) and didn't like either of those controller either

Was hoping for something as far from the Xbox design as possible that I may have overlooked or not seen yet.

Honestly you should just use a controller adapter! No reason not to use your favorite controller when playing a given console when there's 10 dollar converters out there.

Instagram
Wishlist

Edited: 11/18/2015 at 09:50 AM by NickTLG

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:52:29 AM
Daria (29)
Florida

They make controller adapters. You could just use a PS2 controller instead.

Bah! Nick ninjad me.

Edited: 11/18/2015 at 09:53 AM by Daria

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:21:20 AM
Jandrem (6)
(Josh ) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio
+1 for the controller adapter suggestion. I already had a couple of different PS controllers(arcade stick, Street Fighter fight pad, etc) and wanted to try them out, worked great!

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:35:05 AM
abrahamh2 (56)
(Abraham Hernandez) < Meka Chicken >
Hawaii
@ Silent hill I mentioned Deathrow on the few occasions that I do post about xbox haha. But what's awesome about deathrow is that is system link capable with 4 players on each xbox so 8 people on 2 xboxes and you can actually win a match by beating up and incapacitating the other team kinda like Brutal Football on the Atari Jaguar. As Price wise it's great that it is cheap so more people can enjoy a rather underrated System that despite it's many Ports were usually the best version of those ports sans the PC version. Xyanide is a decent shooter that get's play time from me as well as Taito Legends 2 PAL version which has the Arcade Port of Cadash which is 4 players and also Region Free and one of my favorite Arcade games of all time.

Nov 18, 2015 at 11:29:21 AM
Silent Hill (131)
Ohio
Originally posted by: abrahamh2

@ Silent hill I mentioned Deathrow on the few occasions that I do post about xbox haha. But what's awesome about deathrow is that is system link capable with 4 players on each xbox so 8 people on 2 xboxes and you can actually win a match by beating up and incapacitating the other team kinda like Brutal Football on the Atari Jaguar. As Price wise it's great that it is cheap so more people can enjoy a rather underrated System that despite it's many Ports were usually the best version of those ports sans the PC version. Xyanide is a decent shooter that get's play time from me as well as Taito Legends 2 PAL version which has the Arcade Port of Cadash which is 4 players and also Region Free and one of my favorite Arcade games of all time.

We will have LAN parties every now and then so it sounds like I'll have to grab another copy of Deathrow.

Do you have a list of imports that are region free?

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:34:42 PM
Jandrem (6)
(Josh ) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio
Whoa, Deathrow is system-linkable? I need to play this. Also, I need to find people to LAN with. I went through the trouble of hooking up my xboxes, linked up wirelessly, and my friends bailed. Twice.

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:16:01 PM
Crabmaster2000 (59)
(K P) < Lolo Lord >
British Columbia

They make controller adapters. You could just use a PS2 controller instead.

Bah! Nick ninjad me.

So obvious I kinda feel like an idiot! I'm always so pro first party everything that converter never occurred to me. Thanks guys

94/94 TG16 Games

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:42:28 PM
AtariJay (0)
(jbob h) < Meka Chicken >
Ohio
I made this for a Facebook group last week. It's the top CIB prices for OG XBox games (excluding CEs or pack ins what-have-you):

Jurassic Park Operation Genesis $91.00
Teen Titans $47.75
Digimon Rumble Arena 2 $44.90
Futurama $42.66
OutRun 2006 $41.33
Star Wars Battlefront 2 $38.49
Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth $36.49
Test Drive Eve of Destruction $36.12
Xyanide $34.98
Stubbs the Zombie $33.98

I also did a top PS2 list and only JP Operation Genesis crossed over. Don't let people here fool you some of these game are rare. I've yet to find a Futurama of Xyanide in person.

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:56:05 PM
Daria (29)
Florida
Originally posted by: helloatarijason

I made this for a Facebook group last week. It's the top CIB prices for OG XBox games (excluding CEs or pack ins what-have-you):

Teen Titans $47.75
Futurama $42.66
OutRun 2006 $41.33
Xyanide $34.98
Stubbs the Zombie $33.98

I also did a top PS2 list and only JP Operation Genesis crossed over. Don't let people here fool you some of these game are rare. I've yet to find a Futurama of Xyanide in person.

Obscure seems kind of pricey. Or are the ebay sellers just being collective dicks right now?

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:59:35 PM
AtariJay (0)
(jbob h) < Meka Chicken >
Ohio

Teen Titans $47.75
Futurama $42.66
OutRun 2006 $41.33
Xyanide $34.98
Stubbs the Zombie $33.98

Obscure seems kind of pricey. Or are the ebay sellers just being collective dicks right now?

Well none of the sale match the listing prices if that's what you mean.  I'd have a hard time believing someone would pay $40 for that game.

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:06:35 PM
Daria (29)
Florida
So the later.

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:34:34 PM
Silent Hill (131)
Ohio

Teen Titans $47.75
Futurama $42.66
OutRun 2006 $41.33
Xyanide $34.98
Stubbs the Zombie $33.98

The PS2 version of Obscure seems to have jumped up recently. 

I just picked up Futurama recently and I haven't seen Xyanide in quite some time. Looks like I'm only missing Teen Titans and Digimon from that list. 

Pretty awesome when the most expensive game is less than three figures. 

Edited: 11/18/2015 at 02:35 PM by Silent Hill