Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

New Forum Name POLL

LOCKED TOPIC

Oct 11 at 7:48:18 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
spreadgun (again)

Steal a page from screw attack. It works, no need to reinvent the wheel. Memorable, nostalgic, and most gamers immediately know what is.

-------------------------

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Oct 11 at 7:54:42 PM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

spreadgun (again)

Steal a page from screw attack. It works, no need to reinvent the wheel. Memorable, nostalgic, and most gamers immediately know what is.
Unfortunately, it also has the word "gun" in it. And in 2019, well... you know.

Oct 11 at 7:57:43 PM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
A forum like this just feels like it needs to be something a bit more edgy and not quite so to the point. I understand why you would not use purplegannon.com, but for me personally, I would be much more inclined to see what a site called purplegannon.com would be about than a site called cartsandconsoles.com. Again, not saying you should use purplegannon.com.... just something kinda like it.

Oct 11 at 7:59:02 PM
HerrWunderbar (0)

< Crack Trooper >
Mississippi
Originally posted by: Quaze

Originally posted by: HerrWunderbar

Originally posted by: Quaze

Originally posted by: HerrWunderbar

Originally posted by: SwiftFrost

Originally posted by: Gloves

Let me make it more clear in this case: The intent is absolutely to make a new place that we can grow together. A new home for NA members yes, but one that we fully intend to update as regularly as we can and to attract new blood.
Thanks for the clarification; frankly, that is great to hear.

Given that information, something like purpleganon should be a nonstarter. Even completely ignoring the UD issues others have raised - which is legit criticism - the site should not start off as exclusionary in the very title of the site. Especially if the goal is to attract fresh members.

I would personally vote for something more ambiguous like: channelthree.com, or even something completely different like: theleap.com (IP issues notwithstanding).

The name needs to be something that explains exactly what the site is for. None od the names suggested do that and many are too wordy. You want 1 or 2 words to make up the name. You tube, face book, Twitter, Amazon, yahoo. As has been mentioned, inside jokes aren't good either. It excludes people. If a forum is to talk about video games, information, collections, or for buying, trading, selling, it should include a combo of those or similar terms in the name. This is probably why the poll results are in favor of a different name. You want to attract as many gamers as possible. Don't overthink it. Keep it simple stupid.

Here how about this: videogames.com

Lol even that wouldn't quite work. Is videogames a sales site for buying them, like an eBay but just for games, or is it a forum, or a game guide site? The term videogames is very broad.

The beauty is that the answer to every question above is yes. So the answer stands lol

I imagine that site would be quite expensive to buy. Ign, Kotaku, and giant bomb were all made over 10 years ago and are well established by now.

Oct 11 at 7:59:15 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Wait, I got it....

FUSCHIA GANON

Great success

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Oct 11 at 8:09:46 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
spreadgun +1

Oct 11 at 8:13:54 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Splain

spreadgun +1

It's already taken.

Oct 11 at 8:17:30 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Again, BulletBills.com and give it a lounge vibe.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Oct 11 at 8:31:07 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >

Originally posted by: Splain

spreadgun +1

It's already taken.

Damn, must of typo'd it when checking

Oct 11 at 9:39:55 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Ganonslounge.com is available.

You can use Purple Ganon as the mascot the same way Dana from Solomon's Key was used here.

Oct 11 at 9:58:13 PM
joshf (15)
< Crack Trooper >
Kwajalein State
donkeykongjrmath.com
gameand.watch
icantletyoudothatstarfox.com
iamerror.com
lonlonmilk.com
trustthefung.us
myuncleworksatnintendo.com
awinnerisyou.com

Oct 11 at 10:17:39 PM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
Whatsmygameworthkthanksbye.com

Oct 11 at 11:31:18 PM
ZeldaFreak (36)
(Conor ) < Lolo Lord >
Missouri
Originally posted by: Tulpa

You can use Purple Ganon as the mascot the same way Dana from Solomon's Key was used here.

Heeey... I dunno about everyone else, but I like that one a lot too. Still gives off the same sort of vibe as Purple Ganon but without the controversies surrounding it, still has a nice ring to it, and is still fairly memorable. I think this would be a really good compromise. And hey, could always use the other spelling of Ganon if that one gets taken somehow  

Former NES Sharp TV Owner

Oct 11 at 11:32:04 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California

love it

Oct 11 at 11:41:37 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: barrels

love it

I don't.

Oct 12 at 12:08:57 AM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California

love it

I don't.

well my day has now gone to shit. I'll be at the lounge. with GANON.

Oct 12 at 12:29:44 AM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
gamegrackle.com

Oct 12 at 12:35:07 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

love it

I don't.

death-mountain.com is also available if you want to stay with the Ganon/Zelda theme. (deathmountain.com has been taken.)

Oct 12 at 12:44:24 AM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

love it

I don't.

death-mountain.com is also available if you want to stay with the Ganon/Zelda theme. (deathmountain.com has been taken.)

Basically the thought I'm having now is this:

- Come up with something game related
- Take a single step away from that term
- ???
- Profit!

Example: I was thinking "Donkey Kong Banana Hoard", and simplified that to "TheHoard" as a potential option. That could be a good way to come up with a name I think.

I'd prefer to stay away from an absolutely direct reference. It makes it difficult to advertise and whatnot in future. Let's say for instance that one day we decided to build some tool that we monetize for revenue to keep the place running. Or perhaps even merch (NA shirts/hats as an example). It's MUCH harder to legally do so if you're tied to a pre-existing copywritten entity.

Edited: 10/12/2019 at 12:46 AM by Gloves

Oct 12 at 12:51:20 AM
chromableedstudios (14)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
Retroholygrail.bluechipseagaref

Oct 12 at 2:41:47 AM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington
I liked batteries not included.

This purpleganon thing was never funny to begin with and is just getting old.

I saw someone post something like momsbasement...how about something like that? Like gamebasement? A lot of people used to play in their parents basements back in the day and these days a lot of people have their game rooms in basements so...something involving basement? retrobasement?

My finds thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

My want list: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Trading: Lots of Pokemon cards, broken systems, Final Fantasy figures, Inuyasha figures, older PC games - PM me for more info! Also on the hunt for Earthbound!

(>'.')> I HAVE ASPERGERS, SO IF I SAY SOMETHING THAT SEEMS RUDE, I MIGHT NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE RUDE!!!! <('.'<)

Oct 12 at 5:57:24 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
You should all see if the domain name you're trying to suggest is even available.

BatteriesNotIncluded.com, while not only a bad name (because it's the name of a movie), isn't available.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Oct 12 at 5:58:57 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

love it

I don't.

- ???
- Profit!

Example: I was thinking "Donkey Kong Banana Hoard", and simplified that to "TheHoard" as a potential option. That could be a good way to come up with a name I think.

I'd prefer to stay away from an absolutely direct reference. It makes it difficult to advertise and whatnot in future. Let's say for instance that one day we decided to build some tool that we monetize for revenue to keep the place running. Or perhaps even merch (NA shirts/hats as an example). It's MUCH harder to legally do so if you're tied to a pre-existing copywritten entity.

Honestly, this needs to remain a discussion between you, BA, and whoever else is on this team/council. You're not going to get good suggestions in this type of setting (as you can see)

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Oct 12 at 6:57:33 AM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: dra600n

love it

I don't.

- ???
- Profit!

Honestly, this needs to remain a discussion between you, BA, and whoever else is on this team/council. You're not going to get good suggestions in this type of setting (as you can see)

I'm starting to feel this way too. A couple of you guys decide what to call it, how to mascot it, etc. just tell the rest of us where to go when it's ready 

Oct 12 at 9:50:37 AM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
You right.