Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Famicom Strider Thread + info on the repro hack

May 28, 2014 at 1:18:28 AM
GameMachineJames (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Integrated Circuit) < Crack Trooper >
Tennessee
I think it'd be cool to have an untouched 60-pin and hacked 72-pin. But I'd realistically only play the 72-pin.

-------------------------
I just don't know what went wrong!

I don't even own Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt yet!

Please help me begin my NES collection! I've already a Caltron 6 in 1, Cheetahmen II, and a handful of commons! I want to start with the rarest games! Bring me your Little Samsons, your Action 52s, your Panesians and your NWC's!

May 28, 2014 at 1:39:18 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: GameMachineJames

Actually, your ranting about which "Market" this goes to is exactly dickbubbles.

The "Market" in qustion here is identical, whether the cartridge has a ROMHACK and 72-pins or the untouched proto and 60-pins. Last time I checked.

I mean, you're not Japanese and living in the late 90's are you? Are you?

Personally I own a Twin Famicom and 2 NES' so I really don't give a sod which format he releases on. I'm just happy to be getting it no matter what.
James, actually it isn't dickbubbles, nor is it ass antlers.  I own a NES and a Famicom, and also an adapter to play NES games on my Famicom.  So I could play it in any format.  But I can tell you that I wouldn't buy a 72 release of a Japanese prototype, as if I want to play a Japanese prototype, I want to play it on my Famicom.  Likewise, I wouldn't buy a Japanese prototype repro with English text.  If I wanted the English text, I would buy an English version (and it seems to me there was an English version of this game released).  

If this game weren't unreleased in Japan, I honestly believe that this prototype would be viewed in the same light as all of the other prototypes of released games floating around on the net.  There are a lot of titles with major changes between prototype and NES version, and some of those are even popular games.  So why Strider suddenly became so popular on NES, well people are so interested in this thing because it is (partially) unreleased, and I for one would like to play the thing in its unaltered format, on the machine it was being developed for.

@Arasoi:  I am not trying to attack you or your project personally, so please do not read into it in that way.  I hope that enough demand can be met for an unaltered Famicom version to be released, but seeing as most of the people here are NES collectors, I think it unlikely.  The only ones that would want the game released on 60 pins cart in unaltered format are Famicom collectors, like myself, but there are few of those in these parts.

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

May 28, 2014 at 3:59:36 AM
MrNorbert1994 (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Hungary
The translation going to be pretty problematic. The thing is, that this game was rushed for the NTSC-U release and for some bizarre reason, the offsets were sortened on some areas in the PPU, so it is a chore, what tileset I need to get rid of and what not. Also... I need to know how many katakana is more in the game, because as far as I seen it is pretty minimal.

May 28, 2014 at 10:08:02 AM
GameMachineJames (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Integrated Circuit) < Crack Trooper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: tracker465

Originally posted by: GameMachineJames

Actually, your ranting about which "Market" this goes to is exactly dickbubbles.

The "Market" in qustion here is identical, whether the cartridge has a ROMHACK and 72-pins or the untouched proto and 60-pins. Last time I checked.

I mean, you're not Japanese and living in the late 90's are you? Are you?

Personally I own a Twin Famicom and 2 NES' so I really don't give a sod which format he releases on. I'm just happy to be getting it no matter what.
James, actually it isn't dickbubbles, nor is it ass antlers.  I own a NES and a Famicom, and also an adapter to play NES games on my Famicom.  So I could play it in any format.  But I can tell you that I wouldn't buy a 72 release of a Japanese prototype, as if I want to play a Japanese prototype, I want to play it on my Famicom.  Likewise, I wouldn't buy a Japanese prototype repro with English text.  If I wanted the English text, I would buy an English version (and it seems to me there was an English version of this game released).  

If this game weren't unreleased in Japan, I honestly believe that this prototype would be viewed in the same light as all of the other prototypes of released games floating around on the net.  There are a lot of titles with major changes between prototype and NES version, and some of those are even popular games.  So why Strider suddenly became so popular on NES, well people are so interested in this thing because it is (partially) unreleased, and I for one would like to play the thing in its unaltered format, on the machine it was being developed for.

@Arasoi:  I am not trying to attack you or your project personally, so please do not read into it in that way.  I hope that enough demand can be met for an unaltered Famicom version to be released, but seeing as most of the people here are NES collectors, I think it unlikely.  The only ones that would want the game released on 60 pins cart in unaltered format are Famicom collectors, like myself, but there are few of those in these parts.

YOU LEAVE MY ASS ANTLERS OOUT OF THIS!
Seriously though, that's great. I don't mind which format it gets pushed to as long as it does. But I can understand why some folks would ant a 60-pin cartridge. It's still the same market in any case.

I just don't know what went wrong!

I don't even own Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt yet!

Please help me begin my NES collection! I've already a Caltron 6 in 1, Cheetahmen II, and a handful of commons! I want to start with the rarest games! Bring me your Little Samsons, your Action 52s, your Panesians and your NWC's!

May 31, 2014 at 6:14:21 AM
MrNorbert1994 (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Hungary

Update!

May 31, 2014 at 6:24:04 AM
Arasoi (2)

(R M) < Tourian Tourist >
Oregon
MrNorbert, is this an update of your own hack? 

May 31, 2014 at 6:25:52 AM
MrNorbert1994 (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Hungary

Edited: 07/21/2014 at 10:44 AM by MrNorbert1994

Jun 1, 2014 at 7:20:21 PM
PRIZZA (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Pennsylvania
This is a little late, but I just want to congratulate you, Arasoi. It must have felt good to win that auction.
Glad it's in good hands!

Jun 1, 2014 at 8:07:09 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: MrNorbert1994

Yup. I'm making this out of the NA version.

You should probably start your own threads in the brewery.  To be blunt, no one interested in prototypes gives a fuck about your translations. You posting your own shit in multiple prototype discovery threads is annoying.  Super annoying.

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:03:55 AM
Jerbilly (62)
(Jeremy ) < Master Higgins >
Michigan
Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

Originally posted by: MrNorbert1994

Yup. I'm making this out of the NA version.

You should probably start your own threads in the brewery.  To be blunt, no one interested in prototypes gives a fuck about your translations. You posting your own shit in multiple prototype discovery threads is annoying.  Super annoying.

Seriously, I don't even know what this dude is saying most of the time. He may be a wizard which would explain his avatar but for real, heed BeaglePuss' advice. I just barely "get" what the Nolans say and this dude completely knocks the wind out of my sails. I was pretending to be a big rock guitarist in a famous rock band and BOOM I'm back to being Jack White. Thanks a lot.