-------------------------
GRRR!

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:38:13 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Originally posted by: Bronty

If it were me, I might sell it... but its never a slam dunk until you have a replacement. I would have offered around to try and get a replacement at 1500-1800 before agreeing to sell this one for 2k

You're kidding, right?

Cart-only for a price so far above recent comps that price arbitrage is a near certainty, and you wouldn't consider it a slam dunk?

its a lay up, but I don't ever think its a slam dunk until you have the spare copy in hand.   what people tend to overlook is that prices don't go up gradually - they plateau then explode, plateau then explode.   And they seem to have a funny way of exploding when you've just sold your copy.    Now a loose SE isn't *that* rare so that may not happen here but that is what I am always mindful of

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:39:38 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Battymo

If it were me, I might sell it... but its never a slam dunk until you have a replacement. I would have offered around to try and get a replacement at 1500-1800 before agreeing to sell this one for 2k

You're kidding, right?

Cart-only for a price so far above recent comps that price arbitrage is a near certainty, and you wouldn't consider it a slam dunk?

I think Bronty knows a little something about basketball.  He's the only guy I know that sliced tendons catching a ROUND ball.  But that's okay... His mittens are still pinned to his jacket too.

You know what, I should call you and give you a piece of my mind but the only phone number I have written on my hand is my own!  You dirty rat!!  lol

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:41:48 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: robin

this is a little off topic, but i will post up bronty all day long

Talk is cheap!   Then again, I am short! 

We'll have to have a northwest NA b-ball 2 on 2 one day - canada (me and maximus) vs. USA ( you and braveheart)

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:42:24 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
I mean... SOUTHWEST NA. You crazy americans thinking seattle is north.

Edited: 11/03/2009 at 01:42 PM by Bronty

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:51:27 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

You're kidding, right?

its a lay up, but I don't ever think its a slam dunk until you have the spare copy in hand.   what people tend to overlook is that prices don't go up gradually - they plateau then explode, plateau then explode.   And they seem to have a funny way of exploding when you've just sold your copy.    Now a loose SE isn't *that* rare so that may not happen here but that is what I am always mindful of

I guess my standpoint is that, personally, I'm not willing to shell out anywhere close to $2k for a single cart, even to have a "complete" collection.  As for the previous jumps in price...I think they might be played out for this title.  It's "plateaued and exploded" a number of times, and it's just an economic reality that it can't do so forever.  There is a final plateau somewhere, and then likely a cliff that it will fall off of, once the pool of "serious buyers" thins out too much.

I don't know how much the OP acquired the original SE for, but I suspect it was considerably cheaper than the going rate.

He stands to pocket a large amount of money, maybe even enough to acquire the other 15 games that he's missing, if that's how he chooses to spend it.

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:52:20 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
LOL, well I'm 6'1-6'2 and Robin I believe is taller than me, so I hope for your sake you're one of this annoyingly fast short dudes Dan.

In terms of the SE, I paid the highest price for a loose cart ever at just over $1,725 but that was after like a year that none had come up... remembering back that was like one of the longest stretches ever that the market was dry on that title. Then when I bought my CIB copy I sold that MINT cart only to MichiganFan. He later sold it to someone else when he sold out. I took a loss selling it to Mike. Don't remember what he got for it. But after I paid such a high price on it man there was a flurry of them that came out over the next few months, thus dropping the price. For $2,000 and you only needing 14 carts you say... I'd sell the thing buy the 14 others you need and then take the remaining cash and the savings you have from not buying anything else since all you would need was SE and buy up the next SE. X-Mas is coming and it usually brings out at least 1 or 2 SE's. If things don't change in the world and people don't get back to work I would think more people will have to resort to selling things and an 20+ year old crappy sports title video game versus paying the mortgage and eating that month... is not a hard decision.

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:56:12 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
Washington
I disagree with the thought that things always have to plateu and fall Arch. Tell that to people that bought first appearance of Superman or Batman comics. I'm sure someone said why would you pay $2,000 for that thing it's a dumb comic book and now they are worth well over 6 figures. I've had this discussion many times with people on here that it is becoming very evident that there are more and more "speculators/investors" coming into the video game collecting market offering big cash for rare titles. Usually only wanting sealed or mint CIB's and always wanting just the rare stuff. My guess and that of the people I've discussed this with is these people are looking to get in cheap even if it means sticking the games away for 5-10 years while they appreciate before they cash in. If you could go back to before Comics or OLD baseball cards skyrocketed in value I'm sure you would. That's what some people are betting on here.

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:59:10 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Braveheart69

LOL, well I'm 6'1-6'2 and Robin I believe is taller than me, so I hope for your sake you're one of this annoyingly fast short dudes Dan.

I used to be fast.    Maybe I can get seven years ago me to play today you?

Edited: 11/03/2009 at 02:02 PM by Bronty

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:00:06 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Braveheart69

I disagree with the thought that things always have to plateu and fall Arch. Tell that to people that bought first appearance of Superman or Batman comics. I'm sure someone said why would you pay $2,000 for that thing it's a dumb comic book and now they are worth well over 6 figures. I've had this discussion many times with people on here that it is becoming very evident that there are more and more "speculators/investors" coming into the video game collecting market offering big cash for rare titles. Usually only wanting sealed or mint CIB's and always wanting just the rare stuff. My guess and that of the people I've discussed this with is these people are looking to get in cheap even if it means sticking the games away for 5-10 years while they appreciate before they cash in. If you could go back to before Comics or OLD baseball cards skyrocketed in value I'm sure you would. That's what some people are betting on here.

yup.  

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:02:23 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Erik - I don't think things always have to plateau and fall, but you have to consider why people collect various things, their relative rarity, and relative durability.

EDIT to add:  also, consider that the most valuable comic books and baseball cards represent an infinitesimal portion of what's available.  For the relatively few REALLY valuable releases, think of how many #1's from different series didn't turn out to be really collectible at all.

I think it's a fallacy to be too entrenched in the belief that the sky is the limit on the rare NES games.

Edited: 11/03/2009 at 02:06 PM by arch_8ngel

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:02:59 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
that means a whole lot of nothing unless you care to elaborate....?

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:03:13 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta
Those of us not paying 2000 for stadium events are going to be real sorry when the stadium events movie and action figures are released!

GRRR!

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:06:05 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

You're kidding, right?

I guess my standpoint is that, personally, I'm not willing to shell out anywhere close to $2k for a single cart, even to have a "complete" collection.  As for the previous jumps in price...I think they might be played out for this title.  It's "plateaued and exploded" a number of times, and it's just an economic reality that it can't do so forever.  There is a final plateau somewhere, and then likely a cliff that it will fall off of, once the pool of "serious buyers" thins out too much.

I don't know how much the OP acquired the original SE for, but I suspect it was considerably cheaper than the going rate.

He stands to pocket a large amount of money, maybe even enough to acquire the other 15 games that he's missing, if that's how he chooses to spend it.

the other way I look at it is this.   This guy isn't even the first one to be offered 2k for his copy.  The others turned it down.   They now have increased expectations, as will everybody reading this thread.   Big offers tend to have a funny way of pulling up the price.    What do you want to be the next copy of SE does better than the last one?   Maybe not to 2k, but it will do better - watch.

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:06:35 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: cradelit

Those of us not paying 2000 for stadium events are going to be real sorry when the stadium events movie and action figures are released!

hahaha  .... a man, a trackpad... A DESTINY!!!

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:10:39 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
And I would say that those who have turned down solid $2k offers were foolish to have done so.

I think most reading this thread thinks the buyer is a sucker, and the OP needs to get paid QUICK to seal the deal.

As for big offers pulling up price...you must have missed Erik's post about how he LOST money on his SE since he admittedly overpaid. Guess his original big offer didn't actually affect the overall market, after all...

I would be willing to wager that the next copy of SE does not appreciably exceed whatever the previous benchmark price was, before this sale...with the caveat that the buyer is not the OP who will have already locked in a successful arbitrage at any price under $2k

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:13:18 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
I'll take the side of the bet that the price is higher than last time. You owe me $25 if I win, I owe you $50 if I lose. Bet?

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:14:56 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

I'll take the side of the bet that the price is higher than last time. You owe me $25 if I win, I owe you $50 if I lose. Bet?

I would want you to quantify how much higher would be statistically significant. 

EDIT to add:  Also, we need to set a time-limit, since obviously a unusually long dry spell could lead to another Erik-fluke where somebody overpays and then sells at a loss later.

Edited: 11/03/2009 at 02:16 PM by arch_8ngel

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:16:40 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
$1. That's why I am giving you 2:1 odds.    I don't want to make the bet complicated.

Edited: 11/03/2009 at 02:17 PM by Bronty

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:17:24 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
argue fail: you guys did this last week. i'm too lazy to look up the week before's argument, but it's the same thing.

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

i guess i'll throw out the same thing too: watch f for fake. brilliant movie about "value."

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:18:06 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

$1. That's why I am giving you 2:1 odds.

That would be retarded.  All you would have to do is find the next buyer willing to pay the same as the previous value and then get them to overpay by $1 in order to win $25.

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:18:16 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
Washington
My other thought on this is that rarity is so hard to judge on items where so FEW are known to exist. Think about why SE prices on Carts came down after I paid the record for that cart. It's because so many suddenly became available. However SO many was what 10 or less... and of those I know at least 3 of them that were traded 2 or more times so that cuts the actual number of them further. Now if speculators are successful in coming in now and picking up some of the limited supply of the rarest titles and putting them away and not touching them for 5+ years they are basically LOST to the collecting community until they decide to break them out and cash in. Your arguement that it's such a small percentage that become valuable. I AGREE with you. Of the NES set, I'm just using round numbers here, lets say 725 titles I'm talking about maybe 10-15 so that's 1% of the entire library that I believe will continue to increase in price over time. I agree that 80%+ of the collection will always be filler and does not have to go up in value at all and most likely won't by too much. But that top 1% I believe will. Let's look at the lists we keep here for the top few rares. Let's say a rare title that would fit into this 1% I'm talking about has 15 people here who have one. Let's triple that and say there are 45 nice copies out there to be had. So if the speculators come in and are successful in eliminating 20 of those copies from the marketplace for years to come and there are only 25 copies that trade hands it's going to go up unless everyone just stops collecting video games period. Then when the people who put them away bring them out they stand to make a profit and the people who pay the high prices then will probably be the ones who are at the biggest potential for loss. Until the next go round happens. Comics and Old Sports cards couldn't get up to the high prices they are unless there weren't enough to go around. With CIB SE, Myriad, etc... there just aren't!

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:18:24 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Didn't the last one sell for $999 to Mark? lol of course the next SE will sell higher than that, and I'd make that bet giving 10:1 or better odds.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:19:09 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
its the same thing every week on every hobby board you care to look at... people's collections get expensive so they want to talk about values.

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:21:15 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: zi

watch f for fake. brilliant movie about "value."

Yeah, excellent and unique film by Orson Welles.