Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Can NA beat every N64 game in a year ? (2015) Games beaten: 192/303 - Last finished game: Centre Court Tennis

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:43:59 PM
RetroMichel (41)
(Michel B.) < El Ripper >
Quebec
Originally posted by: Ozzy_98

Originally posted by: link463

I will do this. It is one point for every game, and one point for each year it has not been done before. Is it alright ?

Yeah. So a game that has never been completed (like most of the sports games that don't have blitz in their titles) would be worth 4, and so on and so forth. This should offer incentive for knocking out some those less desirable games early on.

I also think there should be a point system.  But some of them should get instant 1s no matter what.  Fighting games for example.  It doesn't look like UMK was beat last year, but it still should be 1 point this year.

I will admit though I'm biased though, and think of beating fighters as too easy.
I think it is alright this way, because unbeaten games are more interesting this year. Also, for the fighting games, do you have an idea of what we could do for them being longer and more difficult to have the points ? People could beat the game on the hardest difficulty or unlock all characters/stages (I'm just thinking of Super Smash Bros. now) ?
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

One question: is the start at midnight NA time, as it likely should be (both to be in line with the other thread(s) AND to keep things consistent across the board, whether you live in San Fransisco or Oslo), or is there some other designated "official" starting point?
It starts when it is 2015 in your computer's hours. I understand the time zones being differents. When it is 2015 in your country, you can start.

Edited: 04/21/2015 at 05:30 PM by RetroMichel

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:53:16 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Originally posted by: RetroMichel

It starts when it is 2015 in your computer's hours. I understand the time zones being differents. When it is 2015 in your country, you can start.

My country has 5 time zones...

NA time is right at the top of the screen, and keeps it easy for everyone (and doesn't give the unfair advantage to people in the east to get the easy high-demand games right off the bat).  And is 7 minutes away

-------------------------

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:54:56 PM
RetroMichel (41)
Quebec
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

My country has 5 time zones...

NA time is right at the top of the screen, and keeps it easy for everyone (and doesn't give the unfair advantage to people in the east to get the easy high-demand games right off the bat).  And is 7 minutes away
OK, the NA time is chosen.

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:03:41 AM
ZeldaFan042 (22)
< Meka Chicken >
North Dakota
Wait... so it starts now? I'm in Central time

WTB  <--- Please sell me a GameCube prototype controller!!!
Originally posted by: Stryphos
Originally posted by: Foochie776

What's an Apple Pippin?
Remember in the Fellowship of the Ring when Aragorn threw that piece of fruit and hit him in the head after asking for second breakfast?  Yeah, that's an apple.

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:07:43 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
NA time is one of the east coast time zones. So yeah, it starts now.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:28:51 AM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio

I will do this. It is one point for every game, and one point for each year it has not been done before. Is it alright ?

Yeah. So a game that has never been completed (like most of the sports games that don't have blitz in their titles) would be worth 4, and so on and so forth. This should offer incentive for knocking out some those less desirable games early on.

I also think there should be a point system.  But some of them should get instant 1s no matter what.  Fighting games for example.  It doesn't look like UMK was beat last year, but it still should be 1 point this year.

I will admit though I'm biased though, and think of beating fighters as too easy.
I think it is alright this way, because unbeaten games are more interesting this year. Also, for the fighting games, do you have an idea of what we could do for them being longer and more difficult to have the points ? People could beat the game on the hardest difficulty or unlock all characters/stages (I'm just thinking of Super Smash Bros. now) ?

One question: is the start at midnight NA time, as it likely should be (both to be in line with the other thread(s) AND to keep things consistent across the board, whether you live in San Fransisco or Oslo), or is there some other designated "official" starting point?

Well many of them like KI Gold, won't give you and ending on easy levels.  I'd hate to say "beat with everyone" cause that wouldn't be fair to other arcade ports.  You'd have to say beat racing games with every car. 

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:30:54 AM
RetroMichel (41)
Quebec

Well many of them like KI Gold, won't give you and ending on easy levels.  I'd hate to say "beat with everyone" cause that wouldn't be fair to other arcade ports.  You'd have to say beat racing games with every car. 

Well, for racing and fighting games, unlocking all characters/cars/maps is a good idea... I think.

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:47:52 AM
link463 (25)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Kansas
While I don't think it's necessary to require unlocking everything, I do think this is a conversation worth having. In years past, it's always been the goal to just get to the credits, unless there was another portion of the game that happened after the credits. Like with Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, you had to beat the game on 00 Agent and Perfect Agent, respectively, b/c that's the only way to unlock all the levels. With fighting games, it was decided that all you had to do was get the ending and credits. In Killer Instinct Gold, if it's anything like its predecessor, this would mean you have to beat the game on the 4 star difficulty. In Mortal Kombat 4, (which I played last year) all you had to do was beat the game on very easy or whatever it was, b/c that gave you a character ending and end credits. I do recall that in another game I beat, Pokemon Puzzle League, beating the game on hard, got you an ending and credits, so I got the point. However, we discovered later that you have to beat the game on Very Hard to get the true final boss and ending. We still don't know everything about every game, so that's why people generally just tell you to get to the credits.

Thanks for writing. I apologize for the delay in responding to your email during this busy time of year.
In regard to your email, it is great to hear that you have found a copy of Perfect Dark for the Nintendo 64. Perfect dark was a first person shooter game that was released in May of 2000. I personally enjoyed this game a lot during my mid-teen years since it allows for up to four players to play at one time. All the Perfect Dark cartridges were black.

I hope this information is what you are looking for.

-
Response I received from Nintendo customer support when I asked if they knew any thing about a black Perfect Dark cart.

Edited: 01/01/2015 at 12:48 AM by link463

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:14:24 AM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio

While I don't think it's necessary to require unlocking everything, I do think this is a conversation worth having. In years past, it's always been the goal to just get to the credits, unless there was another portion of the game that happened after the credits. Like with Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, you had to beat the game on 00 Agent and Perfect Agent, respectively, b/c that's the only way to unlock all the levels. With fighting games, it was decided that all you had to do was get the ending and credits. In Killer Instinct Gold, if it's anything like its predecessor, this would mean you have to beat the game on the 4 star difficulty. In Mortal Kombat 4, (which I played last year) all you had to do was beat the game on very easy or whatever it was, b/c that gave you a character ending and end credits. I do recall that in another game I beat, Pokemon Puzzle League, beating the game on hard, got you an ending and credits, so I got the point. However, we discovered later that you have to beat the game on Very Hard to get the true final boss and ending. We still don't know everything about every game, so that's why people generally just tell you to get to the credits.

In kh gold I know you don't fight the end boss if on easy/very easy or whatever the low difficulty is

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:29:13 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Just ran through a quick Women's Championship run on WWF No Mercy. Gets you the same ending as everything else (previously attained 100% on every belt, kind of an expert on it). And after 13 years of ownership, I'm still not even half-way to getting the funds for the Ho

Jan 1, 2015 at 4:01:35 AM
link463 (25)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Kansas
I was determined to get at least one of the ones that go fast this year and I did.

It's going to be strictly emulators for me until March.

Thanks for writing. I apologize for the delay in responding to your email during this busy time of year.
In regard to your email, it is great to hear that you have found a copy of Perfect Dark for the Nintendo 64. Perfect dark was a first person shooter game that was released in May of 2000. I personally enjoyed this game a lot during my mid-teen years since it allows for up to four players to play at one time. All the Perfect Dark cartridges were black.

-
Response I received from Nintendo customer support when I asked if they knew any thing about a black Perfect Dark cart.

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:55:15 AM
Galdius (13)
< Meka Chicken >
Brazil
I decided to participate this year and I chose a short game that I already owned for some time but had never played yet: Yoshi's Story.
It's a short game but I had fun with it. What surprised me the most was the visual of the game. He holds up extremely well.
The game isn't difficult at all. Well, I had to try the last level a few times before I finished it but it was only this level that gave me a bit of trouble.

Here are some pictures that I took:

Edited: 01/01/2015 at 09:00 AM by Galdius

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:10:57 AM
RetroMichel (41)
Quebec
What a great start ! I added your points.

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:34:15 PM
link463 (25)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Kansas

What a great start ! I added your points.

Yep. We've completed 1% of the games already.

-

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:48:35 PM
Galdius (13)
< Meka Chicken >
Brazil
I beat another game: Smash Bros.

I always liked to play as Link so I chose him again this time.
I didn't remember the last time I had played the N64 version, it was a bit harder than what I remembered.
I'm used to playing the 3DS and WiiU versions so it was nice to go back to remember how it began. I have the game since my childhood but I never played it much. It's nice to have a simple game in the series. The newer ones have a lot of characters and things to do but I think sometimes is good to have a simpler game to play.

Here are some pictures:

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:07:22 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Been working on a long one literally all day probably a couple hours left!

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:27:30 PM
RetroMichel (41)
Quebec
Originally posted by: ToxieRules

I really wonder what is the game you're talking about...

Edited: 04/21/2015 at 05:31 PM by RetroMichel

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:59:28 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario

Originally posted by: ToxieRules

I really wonder what is the game you're talking about...

it's right up your alley

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Jan 1, 2015 at 10:54:41 PM
RetroMichel (41)
Quebec
Star Fox 64 is done. This game is my childhood and my adolescence. It is short, yes, but it is almost perfectly done, and there is nothing I see in it being wrong except the "arena" stages. Andross is still one of my favorite villains !

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:15:18 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario
Mystical Ninja Starring Goeman is complete - busted my ass but managed to do it in 7:21

Finally got the picture up, sorry for the shit-turd quality hahaha!

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Edited: 01/02/2015 at 11:44 AM by Uncle Meat

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:32:11 PM
RetroMichel (41)
Quebec

Originally posted by: ToxieRules

Mystical Ninja Starring Goeman is complete - busted my ass but managed to do it in 7:21 Can't get the damn image to upload, I will email it to myself and upload it from work tomorrow but I am going to keep trying
Do you know what I was going to do just after completing Paperboy ? I was going to begin this same, exact game, Mystical Ninja ! 

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:49:56 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario

Paperboy is complete. This game is so short and so bad ! If I bought this brand new back in the days, I would have been so depressed with my purchase ! It is the same thing from the start to the finish, and the soundtrack has like... five to eight songs ? I don't recommend this product.

Originally posted by: ToxieRules

Mystical Ninja Starring Goeman is complete - busted my ass but managed to do it in 7:21 Can't get the damn image to upload, I will email it to myself and upload it from work tomorrow but I am going to keep trying

Do you know what I was going to do just after completing Paperboy ? I was going to begin this same, exact game, Mystical Ninja ! 
I have been wanting to play it for a bit now and this gave reason to it. Such a funny game, I probably had a smirk on my face the entire time from the unique humour.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:55:02 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario
Damn phone....

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:59:00 PM
Toad (5)
(Pierre-Yves Bilodeau) < Little Mac >
Quebec
It was not a pleasure to do this, but it definitely worths four points. Bug Meister (the Monster Truck) is so overpower.

Carmageddon 64

Looking for:
- Chrono Trigger SNES cartridge
- Earthbound SNES cartridge
- Metroid Prime GC CIB
- Resident Evil 4 GC CIB

Edited: 01/01/2015 at 11:59 PM by Toad

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:03:31 AM
RetroMichel (41)
Quebec
Originally posted by: RetroPY

It was not a pleasure to do this, but it definitely worths four points. Bug Meister (the Monster Truck) is so overpower.

Carmageddon 64
Actually, 3 points. Congrats for beating this one.