Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

How you all got your start with the NES

Apr 9, 2007 at 3:45:04 PM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah
Im just a newbie around here, so I thought I'd ask how you all got your start collecting. For example, Dain and NGD, you both have super impressive knowledge and collections to back it up. What are your stories?

Apr 9, 2007 at 4:58:37 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
I always had a few games from when I was little. Then as I got older and had money I started picking the classic like MTPO, Excitebike, Zelda and so many more that I never had but has played from when I was little. Once I got all those I keep buying games I have never heard of locally for cheap, just to have new games to play. Before I knew what happened I had 300 games in a few months. Then I started looking at the online community and ebay. I lurked for about 2 years before I started posting so I actually had some knowledge to bring to the table. Once I got into the forums and ebay hardcore I started tracking things, and keeping detailed records about stuff. That is were my game list came from for the most part. Once you start getting the rarer stuff, you start thinking to yourself "I could actually own all of these." Once that happens, god help you! Your paychecks will never be the same.

Me and Dain outbid each other for years on ebay without ever knowing who the other person was. Then he started posting at nesworld more and we started talking about variations and random stuff. We got to talking on AIM pretty often, and then on the phone a few times. Before you know he asked me to head over for a weekend with my g/f. We hit it off right away and become good friends. We talk at least 2-3 times a week on the phone, and about everyday via email. Funny how Nintendo has given me one of my best friends plus a hobby that I absolutly love.
~~NGD

-------------------------
Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Apr 9, 2007 at 5:42:37 PM
Hounder (0)
(David Pendergast) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
I've always been a huge fan of the NES and always will. About 3 years ago, I bought a NES off a co-worker and it came with a few games. However, I wanted to replay my old favorites such as SMB 1, Metal Gear, Snake's Revenge, River City Ransom, etc. So I started buying them off ebay. It was during this time that I remember seeing a game called "Rodland" sell on ebay for $107 (cheap compared to now). So I started doing a little research on it and wondered why it sold for so much. That's when I found nesworld. That's also when I found out that there are a few different games that go over the $100 mark.

I lurked quite a bit on the nesworld website but never joined the forums. Especially since you HAD to be a member to see them. So after about 8 or 9 months of lurking, I finally joined. That's when I really started getting into collecting and went for CIB games only. I slowly starting learning the different types of games and the variations for alot of them. I started doing hours of research on anything and everything NES. I read a TON of NES threads over at DPand nesworld and gained a bunch of knowledge. Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of emails back and forth between hundreds of different NES collectors asking about different NES releated things.

I haven't been in this as long as some, but my 3 years and some change have made me pretty knowledgable in some areas. You will eventually learn the values of everything and what's a good deal and not. All comes with the collecting spirit

I'm actually really glad that I got into all this because I've met some of the nicest people. Of course, there are the not-so-nice people as well but you learn to just ignore them. LOL This site here is full of a bunch of my favorite collectors. Nice to be able to come to a place where we all share the very same interest =)

-------------------------
Hi, my name is David Pendergast, aka:

Jesse Jones
Philip Varney

I scammed people on NintendoAge a while back. Since then, I've been unwelcome. Do not do business with me!

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:40:15 AM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah
Those are some great stories, and thats what this is all about! I wish you all the best and happy collecting!!!