NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Hello! Excited to be a member here

Jan 29 at 3:42:43 PM
brianoblivion (0)
(Brian O'Blivion) < Tourian Tourist >
Massachusetts
Hello all,

Just figured I'd introduce myself. I don't do much of the online forum thing but I am fairly active on reddit. This place looks cool and it would be nice to interact with folks of simular interests. I don't have a ton of gamers in my immediate life, let alone retrogamers, so its nice to have an online outlet. I'm pretty strictly a retrogamer, mostly a Nintendo fan-boy, but I have a Genesis on loan from a friend (I soldered a new power switch for his broken system and he said I could just hold on to it seemingly indefintely). I have a fairly modest library (150 or so games) for NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBC, GBA, Atari 2600, PS1, and Genesis.

My favorite game of all time is probably Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together... well that or Super Mario Bros. I've been more into fast action games now that I'm old and have less time for RPGs and long winded stuff. Some games I've beaten in the last year or so are: Solar Striker, 1942, Gradius III, Super R-Type (on novice), UN Squadron, Steel Empire, Battle of Olympus, Zelda II (again, did it around 2000), Ninja Gaiden I+II+III (all three this January!). On request from my brother I think I'll try and beat TMNT1 next, finally.

-------------------------
The battle for the mind of North America will be fought in the video arena — the videodrome. The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye. Therefore the television screen is part of the physical structure of the brain. Therefore whatever appears on the television screen emerges as raw experience for those who watch it. Therefore television is reality, and reality is less than television.

Edited: 01/29/2019 at 04:06 PM by brianoblivion

Jan 29 at 3:57:56 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Welcome!

Jan 29 at 4:21:29 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Well hey.

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Jan 29 at 4:22:24 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Hello! Welcome to NA!  

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Jan 29 at 4:38:01 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Welcome to NintendoAge!

Jan 29 at 6:46:20 PM
TheFinder (47)
< King Solomon >
Illinois
Welcome to NA!

To the Finder...
The Isle of Koholint is but an illusion...
Human, monster, sea, sky...
A scene on the lid of a sleeper's eye...
Awake the dreamer, and Koholint will vanish much like a bubble on a needle...
Cast-away, you should know the Truth!

My FS/WTB threads: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jan 29 at 7:52:12 PM
turbografx 17 (0)
< Little Mac >
welcome

Related image

Jan 29 at 7:54:00 PM
Wheelcakes (14)
< Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
Welcome to the site duder!  

KDDK Player  

Jan 29 at 7:56:20 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
So I see you like shmups...

Jan 29 at 8:10:23 PM
brianoblivion (0)
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Gloves

I do! I just finished getting my ass handed to me in Sky Shark and Star Force, two I just picked up. Sky Shark is like a bad 1943 and Star Force is awfully simular to Star Soldier, that I'm confused at the connection. Do you have any favorites?

The battle for the mind of North America will be fought in the video arena — the videodrome. The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye. Therefore the television screen is part of the physical structure of the brain. Therefore whatever appears on the television screen emerges as raw experience for those who watch it. Therefore television is reality, and reality is less than television.

Jan 29 at 8:12:59 PM
D~Funk (81)
(David Qualls) < Master Higgins >
Oregon
Welcome! I too like shooters!

"Thats what i am, i'm just a grumpy guy with a big nose."

Jan 29 at 8:14:19 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: brianoblivion

I do! I just finished getting my ass handed to me in Sky Shark and Star Force, two I just picked up. Sky Shark is like a bad 1943 and Star Force is awfully simular to Star Soldier, that I'm confused at the connection. Do you have any favorites?

I (and a few others here) are pretty big shmup fans. Personally my favorite has to be Jamestown on PC, but I'm also quite fond of Space Megaforce on snes, Blade Buster on NES, and the Parodius series in general. I have a bit of a collection going, though I'm certainly not top dog around here where collecting is concerned.

High scores though... Come at me bruh!

Jan 29 at 8:27:37 PM
brianoblivion (0)
Massachusetts

I (and a few others here) are pretty big shmup fans. Personally my favorite has to be Jamestown on PC, but I'm also quite fond of Space Megaforce on snes, Blade Buster on NES, and the Parodius series in general. I have a bit of a collection going, though I'm certainly not top dog around here where collecting is concerned. High scores though... Come at me bruh!

High scores!? I'm happy to just get out alive and tell the tale!

For real most of these games were untouchable to me as a kid. Only in the past couple years have I been able to start beating some.

Space Megaforce has been highly recommended to me before. I think that cart is crazy $$$. Parodius is bonkers and love what I've played.. And Blade Buster, just looked up, a homebrew... nice! I love that NES is getting new releases.

Jan 29 at 9:27:33 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado

Jan 29 at 9:38:18 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

I (and a few others here) are pretty big shmup fans. Personally my favorite has to be Jamestown on PC, but I'm also quite fond of Space Megaforce on snes, Blade Buster on NES, and the Parodius series in general. I have a bit of a collection going, though I'm certainly not top dog around here where collecting is concerned. High scores though... Come at me bruh!

For real most of these games were untouchable to me as a kid. Only in the past couple years have I been able to start beating some.

Space Megaforce has been highly recommended to me before. I think that cart is crazy $$$. Parodius is bonkers and love what I've played.. And Blade Buster, just looked up, a homebrew... nice! I love that NES is getting new releases.

If you find yourself playing any shmups (any system), check out my Leaderboard thread, here: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

I track the high scores for shmups across all systems. We're a small group, but there's definitely some nice scores going. It's open to anyone, so feel free to take a photo of your next high score and share it with us!

Jan 29 at 10:31:21 PM
brianoblivion (0)
Massachusetts

If you find yourself playing any shmups (any system), check out my Leaderboard thread, here: http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&thread...

I track the high scores for shmups across all systems. We're a small group, but there's definitely some nice scores going. It's open to anyone, so feel free to take a photo of your next high score and share it with us!

That's amazing. I love it. Maybe I'll be able to sneak in on a few games in the future. I love a challange.

And damn you have some awesome scores!

Jan 29 at 10:49:14 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

If you find yourself playing any shmups (any system), check out my Leaderboard thread, here: http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&th...

That's amazing. I love it. Maybe I'll be able to sneak in on a few games in the future. I love a challange. And damn you have some awesome scores!

I look forward to seeing many entries from you!  

Jan 29 at 11:29:42 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Welcome!
and Star Force is awfully simular to Star Soldier, that I'm confused at the connection.

Same developer, Hudson Soft.

Jan 29 at 11:30:01 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
dp

Edited: 01/29/2019 at 11:30 PM by Tulpa

Jan 30 at 9:15:46 AM
brianoblivion (0)
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Welcome!
and Star Force is awfully simular to Star Soldier, that I'm confused at the connection.

Same developer, Hudson Soft.

Star Force claims to be a Tecmo game. Star Soldier is Hudson's 'spirtual successor' to Star Force. From wikipedia:

"Star Soldier was developed as a spiritual successor to Tecmo's Star Force, from which it borrows most of its gameplay elements. The Star Force series, along with Hudson's Star Soldier, was often featured in the popular Japanese gaming tournament known as "Hudson All-Japan Caravan Festival"."

Jan 30 at 9:21:57 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Arcade Star Force was Tecmo. Hudson did the Famicom port of it that Tecmo published. It was then tweaked a bit and released for the NES.

The Famicom exclusive sequel, Super Star Force, was all Tecmo.

Edited: 01/30/2019 at 09:24 AM by Tulpa

Jan 30 at 10:25:15 AM
brianoblivion (0)
Massachusetts
That clears it up my confusion. Sometimes the developer vs publisher thing can get muddled.

Jan 30 at 10:41:08 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Yeah, the NES is one of the most complicated in that area. Rare developed games for about eight different NES publishers.

Jan 30 at 2:54:57 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Welcome to NA!

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Feb 05 at 3:16:41 PM
DarkTone (2)
(GameCube Boss) < Bowser >
United Kingdom
Welcome.

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here