Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

(When?) Is it okay to use a repro as a reproduction for the real thing?

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:18:09 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: tracker465

Maybe for example, like a museum or something, wants to demonstrate the game and doesn't want to use flash cart technology.  In this sort of instance, it seems a repro would be an equally okay option to emulation, etc, where the important thing is the data moreso than the medium.
Are there more examples of museums making "fake" items to display as real, other than paintings?  I thought I had heard about it for multimillion dollar items so the real one is protected in storage, but not for multithousand dollar items.

I would think the museum either thinks the data is important (so emulator or flash cart is fine), or the display is important (so the repro doesnt even need a board inside).

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:36:52 PM
zredgemz (1)
< Kraid Killer >
United States
Ultimate NES Remix has the rom for NWC now so i would buy that it is cheaper, i understand why people would want a repro but a good point was made not too long ago with people being upset about other repros but not so much on nwc. Granted it is not a photo copy but it is still a bootleg of a game that people could buy(anyone that can afford a car can buy one when they show up not saying everyone is crazy enough to do so)

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:45:48 PM
Jandrem (6)
(Josh ) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio
If it's just for display purposes, there's no need to make a real repro. Just slap a sticker on a donor shell. But even then, is there a large demand for museums seeking to display SE specifically? Sounds like too much of a corner-case to be legit.

I'm on board with repros of hacks and unreleased titles, but 1:1 of released games is just bad news.

-------------------------
My FS/FO thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:46:28 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: WhyNotZoidberg

See, to me it's not the object that's good or bad. It's the intentions of its owner. Just like OP mentionned : you create a Stadium Events for display purposes....what's the harm? But when you list it on eBay with a shady description and con someone out of a few Gs, that's harmful.

What's the point of doing that? 

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:52:34 PM
WhyNotZoidberg (5)
(Julien ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Quebec
Originally posted by: Lincoln

See, to me it's not the object that's good or bad. It's the intentions of its owner. Just like OP mentionned : you create a Stadium Events for display purposes....what's the harm? But when you list it on eBay with a shady description and con someone out of a few Gs, that's harmful.

What's the point of doing that? 

Meh. Who am I to judge? I wouldn't care for doing that, but I can't see myself getting upset over people doing it.

As mentionned by arch_8ngel :

"Owning the real thing, because it's the real thing, is one thing.
Owning a fake, of something that is neither fun to play, nor pretty to look at it, is just bizarre."

is just bizarre. Not worthy of any wrath.

And Jandrem :

I thought the same thing : get a 10-yard fight shell and slap a label on it, why not? Same difference.

I forgot to add that the one thing I don't like about repros are donor boards, and shells to a lesser extent. The original materials' supply diminishing is not exactly good news for collectors in the long run.

But now that brand new PCBs are available for purchase on various sites, I can totally see myself building me a Bio Force Ape or Recca '92 without worries using all new parts.

Edited: 08/13/2015 at 02:02 PM by WhyNotZoidberg

Aug 13, 2015 at 3:37:24 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Originally posted by: cirellio

I feel NWC repros are a bad thing, but I won't give somebody crap for having one. I just personally wouldn't do it. I'd much rather flashcart it.
As others have mentioned, repros of games that were never released or localized are okay.
Does NWC or NCC actually run on a flash cart?  Has anyone confimed it works?

Aug 13, 2015 at 3:41:02 PM
NickTLG (48)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois
Originally posted by: pegboy

Originally posted by: cirellio

I feel NWC repros are a bad thing, but I won't give somebody crap for having one. I just personally wouldn't do it. I'd much rather flashcart it.
As others have mentioned, repros of games that were never released or localized are okay.
Does NWC or NCC actually run on a flash cart?  Has anyone confimed it works?

Yes I've run NWC on a Flashcart. There are different ROMs for the different dip switch settings.

Instagram
Wishlist

Aug 13, 2015 at 3:47:59 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington

It's not that it's harmful, it's just that it's fucking stupid.  What is the point of displaying a fake game?  Do you just want to play make believe with yourself or try and trick people into beleiveing you have the real thing?

Aug 13, 2015 at 4:10:14 PM
WhyNotZoidberg (5)
Quebec
Originally posted by: pegboy

It's not that it's harmful, it's just that it's fucking stupid.  What is the point of displaying a fake game?  Do you just want to play make believe with yourself or try and trick people into beleiveing you have the real thing?

For sh*ts and giggles I reckon. AVGN has one for NWC doesn't he? I don't see threads clamoring for his beheading here.

Edited: 08/13/2015 at 04:12 PM by WhyNotZoidberg

Aug 13, 2015 at 4:17:03 PM
Grumble,Grumble (1)
(Kylemeister 1983) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
People can and will do what they want ultimately, but when they make the throwback versions of the old GI Joe and Star Wars figures for example, you can tell by the package and the date stamp on the figure that it's not the original. If those were made to be completely identical to the originals, imagine the shitstorm that would create in that community. It's the same in the gaming collecting scene or anywhere really. The moment a paying collector is led to believe the item is something that it really isn't is when it's BS IMO.

Check out the ideoameullh!t Podcast
Season 1 Episodes: https://hagensalley.com/vgbs-podc...;
Season 2 Episodes: https://hagensalley.com/vgbs-podc...;
Season 3 Episodes: https://hagensalley.com/vgbs-podc...;
VGBS BioCom - Rotating Border
                                                               ▲
                                                            ▲   ▲

Aug 13, 2015 at 6:31:00 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
The problem is you can't guarantee Step A won't lead to Step B, unless Step A1 is to smash the reproduction with a hammer before you croak.

Aug 13, 2015 at 6:35:27 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
For sh*ts and giggles I reckon. AVGN has one for NWC doesn't he? I don't see threads clamoring for his beheading here.
I don't recall him having one for "display purposes." He had a clearly RetroUSB-made repro NWC for his video.

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:40:07 PM
ALTQQ (79)
(I've lost my television remote do you know where i Should look?) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
I'm fine with any and all repos as long as you aren't trying to trick someone into thinking it's the real deal. Some people want to have actual carts of games they cant afford so that's cool with me. There will always be people there who want the real deal so it shouldn't hurt the market. Plus I'd rather see those old snes sports titles be erased and put to better use and hold a game people will actually play. Lets face it 99% of those sports games will never get used otherwise.

I lost my television remote, have you seen it?

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:54:31 PM
WhyNotZoidberg (5)
Quebec
Originally posted by: ALTQQ

I'm fine with any and all repos as long as you aren't trying to trick someone into thinking it's the real deal. Some people want to have actual carts of games they cant afford so that's cool with me. There will always be people there who want the real deal so it shouldn't hurt the market. Plus I'd rather see those old snes sports titles be erased and put to better use and hold a game people will actually play. Lets face it 99% of those sports games will never get used otherwise.

Finally a canuck to agree with.

Except on the donor board part. I'd rather people buy custom PCBs, they are available.

Also the SNES NHLPA '93 and NHL '94 are damn good hockey titles. Even if it's super weird to see Patrick Roy with the Quebec Nordiques in '94. That never happened.

The Nordiques had become the Colorado Avalanche by the time the game came out and that's where Patrick Roy was playing.

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:05:26 PM
Faxanadude (21)
(A Winner Is You) < Kraid Killer >
North Carolina
I am fine with repro's so long as they are super identifiable.

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:17:48 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Originally posted by: tracker465

Maybe for example, like a museum or something, wants to demonstrate the game and doesn't want to use flash cart technology.  In this sort of instance, it seems a repro would be an equally okay option to emulation, etc, where the important thing is the data moreso than the medium.
Are there more examples of museums making "fake" items to display as real, other than paintings?  I thought I had heard about it for multimillion dollar items so the real one is protected in storage, but not for multithousand dollar items.

I would think the museum either thinks the data is important (so emulator or flash cart is fine), or the display is important (so the repro doesnt even need a board inside).

I have no idea.

I had been thinking about this again today, what about libraries and places that keep stuff for reference.  I am just making this post to give some food for thought, where maybe there are some rare instances where institutions and places might opt for a repro of the game for a legitimate reason, should video games ever take off to that level.

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:49:43 PM
thesubcon3 (148)
(Jeffrey Wittenhagen) < King Solomon >
Texas
I think repros are only ok is specific instances. NWC is only OK because it's so drastically different and it cannot be played on a flash cart. Any kind of hack or translation is fine as long as the creator doesn't care. Other than that, no reason not to import the title as in most cases it'll be cheaper. But in the end to each their own, I just know before I throw down more than $100 on any game I need to see the board now.

Check out VGBS Gaming Podcast, all of my books and other nonsense at:
www.hagensalley.com

Get one of my latest books...The Complete SNES - Definitive Edition! 

https://hagens-alley-books.myshopify.com/collections/hagens-...

Games I am looking for...PM me if you got 'em
Obscure Games for the PC-FX, Vectrex, Neo Geo, MSX
NES Homebrew - Lady Frogger, Blade Buster (with save)

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:32:35 PM
chromableedstudios (14)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
maybe as a fair use backup for a game you own?

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:00:12 AM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Look at my complete collection of PC-engine repros!

I am awesome at collecting!  Look at all the Games, TV shows, and books I own!

And holy crap, look at all the dust I'm collecting there... I'm sitting at this desk, and didn't notice the dust till I took this pic.