Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

*BOUNTY ADDED* unknown video game image from 1996 WIN $100 USD VIA PAYPAL GIFT

Feb 27, 2017 at 8:32:26 PM
Shino (20)
< Crack Trooper >
Illinois
Name in the bottom corner says Greg Winter '96. "The Sword in the Stone". Looks like this guy has done a lot of stuff. I could be wrong though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=g...&*&imgrc=Okej_q3ys5iG0M:

Feb 27, 2017 at 8:51:12 PM
Buyatari (14)
(Adam Harvey) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Shino

Name in the bottom corner says Greg Winter '96. "The Sword in the Stone". Looks like this guy has done a lot of stuff. I could be wrong though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=greg+winters+art&client=... &*&imgrc=Okej_q3ys5iG0M:

It is Greg Winters with an s.
Yes, he has done lots of work. Check out this thread.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Feb 27, 2017 at 8:58:07 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Adam,

JoeLeo was pretty helpful in such threads in the past. He was able to clean up images for me in a way that google image search could better recognize them.

-------------------------

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Feb 27, 2017 at 9:08:14 PM
maximus_clean (147)
(Curtis S) < King Solomon >
Canada
I have looked on and off since you sent this to me Adam, I'm stumped. I felt like such a pro after finding 3 out of the last batch Dan and I were trying to figure out LOL

Looking for VGA NES, SNES and more, have cash and many VGA to trade!

“Well, there is actual loss of cardboard in a spot or two”

Feb 27, 2017 at 9:08:18 PM
Buyatari (14)
Ohio
Originally posted by: Bronty

Adam,

JoeLeo was pretty helpful in such threads in the past. He was able to clean up images for me in a way that google image search could better recognize them.

google image search?
that is a new one to me.

Feb 27, 2017 at 9:24:47 PM
TheToxicCollector (59)
(Nick ) < El Ripper >
New York
Originally posted by: Buyatari

Adam,

google image search?
that is a new one to me.

If you right click on an image it gives you an option to "search Google for image" and it will return results where that image has appeared. I'm clueless on this one had a few thoughts but they didn't pan out.

Feb 27, 2017 at 9:47:35 PM
Daria (29)
(Alexandria Sanchez) < King Solomon >
Florida
I can't find anything using that image but something about that sword and color scheme screams Kings Field to me.

Check out DariaPlaysRPGs on Youtube for Reviews on translated, homebrew, and classic RPGs.

Looking to buy a copy of Shining Force Genesis - Complete in excellent condition

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:00:37 PM
zredgemz (1)
< Kraid Killer >
United States
The timing would be perfect for the non US released terranigma. I do not know what it would have been called in the US but from what i have seen it was being worked on and i would imagine they had an artist do contract work, this may be the box art.

https://www.unseen64.net/2015/07/...

Edited: 02/27/2017 at 10:31 PM by zredgemz

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:03:32 PM
JamesGames1973 (0)

< Cherub >
Let me do some research on this one looks very familiar

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:33:35 PM
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa ) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: Daria

I can't find anything using that image but something about that sword and color scheme screams Kings Field to me.

This was my thought too.

There was a Japanese only release of King's Field.
Might as well try that.

...if I see anything Dan, I'll share.

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:03:11 AM
tubeway (2)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Stan Kay) < Eggplant Wizard >
New York
Originally posted by: Commander Santa

Originally posted by: Daria

This was my thought too.

There was a Japanese only release of King's Field.
Might as well try that.

...if I see anything Dan, I'll share.

Moving forward, Adam's new name is Dan.

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:04:26 AM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: tubeway

Moving forward, Adam's new name is Dan.

If Adam is Dan...... does that make Dan..... Adam?

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:40:27 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
I think so. If you check the collection of Dan (formerly Adam) you'll see a piece inscribed 'to Dan' relating to one of Dans (formerly Adams) favourite franchises. Seems like proof of the name change. Maybe Dan (formerly Adam) will show us (formerly y'all).

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Edited: 02/28/2017 at 12:44 AM by Bronty

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:14:48 AM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

I think so. If you check the collection of Dan (formerly Adam) you'll see a piece inscribed 'to Dan' relating to one of Dans (formerly Adams) favourite franchises. Seems like proof of the name change. Maybe Dan (formerly Adam) will show us (formerly y'all).

thanks for the info Adam (formerly Dan)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:37:52 AM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington
It reminds me of The Dark Tower series...maybe because it's like a wasteland? Very pretty though.

My finds thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

My want list: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Trading: Lots of Pokemon cards, broken systems, Final Fantasy figures, Inuyasha figures, older PC games - PM me for more info! Also on the hunt for Earthbound!

(>'.')> I HAVE ASPERGERS, SO IF I SAY SOMETHING THAT SEEMS RUDE, I MIGHT NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE RUDE!!!! <('.'<)

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:19:33 AM
Shino (20)
< Crack Trooper >
Illinois
Next time I'll read the entire first post before stating the obvious. I sometimes forget I am in the presence of serious experts.

This image is very ambiguous and could have been used for anything. Hell, take away the characters and it could almost fit into the background of Mega Man 3. I also thought I was onto something with Dark Wizard for Sega CD but that failed.

What about reaching out to Montclair Estates? They indicated in the item description they knew it was from a video game but couldn't recall which one. Maybe they can point you in the right direction?

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:50:51 AM
Buyatari (14)
Ohio
Originally posted by: Shino

Next time I'll read the entire first post before stating the obvious. I sometimes forget I am in the presence of serious experts.

This image is very ambiguous and could have been used for anything. Hell, take away the characters and it could almost fit into the background of Mega Man 3. I also thought I was onto something with Dark Wizard for Sega CD but that failed.

What about reaching out to Montclair Estates? They indicated in the item description they knew it was from a video game but couldn't recall which one. Maybe they can point you in the right direction?

They got it from the artist which us back full circle. 
Everything that we think we know comes from the artist.
The artist claims a video game cover. I'm not sure this is true as it could very well be an ad. Dated 1996 I am not sure that is true but likely true unless he dated it long after the fact. That is all we have to go on from the artist. Remember the artist has done hundreds of these over the years.
Other than this we know the artist was a prolific artist starting back with Atari in the 1980s and did multiple game covers and ad illustrations for NES,SNES,SEGA and PS1 etc. 

Edited: 02/28/2017 at 09:52 AM by Buyatari

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:45:41 AM
SmaMan (0)
(Smalliard Manning) < Crack Trooper >
Oklahoma
Very intriguing. For all we know, though, this could've just been something he was commissioned to make by a video game producer, and either the game went in a different direction, was outright cancelled, or they went with another artist's design.

Looking at the sword, it seems to be a rather generic "evil sword." Just a simple design that, had they continued in this direction, would've been refined.

So by this line of thought, given he's worked on other games for PS1 and 1996 being just after Soul Edge/Soul Blade was released, my most educated guess would be...

Early Box Art Concept for the US release of Soul Calibur

...but it could be literally anything else.

When I'm not 8-bitting my life away, I like to write. You can find my short stories and ramblings here: smaman.wordpress.com

Edited: 02/28/2017 at 10:46 AM by SmaMan

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:10:45 AM
NickTLG (48)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois
Originally posted by: zredgemz

The timing would be perfect for the non US released terranigma. I do not know what it would have been called in the US but from what i have seen it was being worked on and i would imagine they had an artist do contract work, this may be the box art.

https://www.unseen64.net/2015/07/27/terranigma-beta-snes/

Good thinking! Both this and King's Field seem like very good leads.

Instagram
Wishlist

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:45:34 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Adam,

Have you thought about asking him who paid him? If it's a Denny job you can narrow it down some to Denny clients. If it's for someone else, well you can rule out Denny clients

Edited: 02/28/2017 at 11:54 AM by Bronty

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:48:31 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: cirellio

Interesting thought.

How about Seiken Densetsu 3?   Could be some sort of image of the Mana Sword.

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:53:58 AM
NickTLG (48)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Originally posted by: cirellio

Interesting thought.

How about Seiken Densetsu 3?   Could be some sort of image of the Mana Sword.

I thought about that, but figured for a Secret of Mana 2 style image they would encourage lush greenery.

Instagram
Wishlist

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:21:29 PM
SuperJimtendo (7)
(Jimbo ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado
I was leaning towards crystalis the sword looked very similar but haven't had a chance to do a proper search

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/l7wPpMgCsz...

owner of post 5000 in the age of Aquarius thread

Original Paintings for sale : https://www.etsy.com/shop/UVCStudios

Edited: 02/28/2017 at 05:22 PM by SuperJimtendo

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:49:05 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
I agree that this looks very familiar. I should start going through old magazines

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:20:39 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
I've gotta ask, Adam, are you offering a bounty because this piece is available to you and you're trying to figure out where it's from to gauge what it may be worth for an offer, or are you just really that curious about where Greg's art was used?

www.videogamesage.com...