Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Can anyone help me fix my gameboy screen? Looks like dead pixels on the screen. Help! Picture added.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:28:49 PM
WalterWhiteJr. (29)
(Frank ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Massachusetts
Hey everyone!

I recently found my childhood gameboy and am ecstatic. Unfortunately, it looks like there are dead pixels on the screen and it may require soldering (which I know nothing about). Would anyone be willing to help me fix it? I can pay you and buy whatever supplies is needed. 

Edited: 11/20/2017 at 11:55 PM by WalterWhiteJr.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:46:23 PM
dry_bowser (17)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
Originally posted by: WalterWhiteJr.

Hey everyone!

I recently found my childhood gameboy and am ecstatic. Unfortunately, it looks like there are dead pixels on the screen and it may require soldering (which I know nothing about). Would anyone be willing to help me fix it? I can pay you and buy whatever supplies is needed. 

Can you post a pic of the problem? Dead pixels, horizontal lines, vertical lines, black spots, etc. are all different problems and require different fixes.

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:17:11 AM
dry_bowser (17)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
Unfortunately those are the black spots I mentioned earlier. This looks like LCD bleeding and if I'm not wrong the only way to fix it is to replace the entire screen. These are not dead pixels since those are visible only when the Gameboy is on. This might be a good opportunity to also replace the grey plastic lens with a glass one to make your Gameboy look like a champ  

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:22:54 AM
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
You could probably easily just buy another DMG and just swap the shell and buttons. The PCB and Screen won't be the same as your childhood DMG, but since you can't repair your screen anyway and need to replace it, mind as well just take the easy route and rehouse a working PCB and screen and a good chunk of the DMG will still be YOURS if you know what i mean. No soldering i believe necessary. Where if you just try to change the screen you need to desolder and solder the screen.

-------------------------
gamevaluenow

Nov 22, 2017 at 1:39:04 PM
WalterWhiteJr. (29)
Massachusetts
To solder or not to solder. That is the question.

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:51:35 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee

To solder or not to solder. That is the question.

Not.  There really aren't any NOS DMG screens out there and the vast majority of people who attempt to remove and replace them screw up one or both of the parts.  Just get a secondary DMG and pull the front board and LCD out of it and replace the one in your childhood Game Boy.  Easy peasy and no risk of screwing up ribbon cables, traces, pads, etc.

-------------------------
Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Jul 19 at 6:37:14 AM
WalterWhiteJr. (29)
Massachusetts
Bump. Anyone willing to do this if I ship to them? Will pay well.

Jul 21 at 4:54:39 AM
Nes Freak (31)
(Dave ) < Ridley Wrangler >
California

Bump. Anyone willing to do this if I ship to them? Will pay well.

Do what?  replace your gameboy screen or fix it?

Jul 21 at 8:26:13 AM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
The solder fix makes the vertical lines go away but you seem to have dead pixels there. I'd grab a new game boy or if it has sentimental value replace the screen which is a pain if I remember correctly