Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Zelda wind waker: wii u or gc? Which should I get and why?

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:55:49 PM
ALTQQ (79)
(I've lost my television remote do you know where i Should look?) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
So I've been meaning to get a copy of this game for awhile now and I'm unsure which to get as I've never played it before. I have twilight princess on gc that I'm hoping to start this yr. But I figured I should grab this one too.

So which version and why?

-------------------------

I lost my television remote, have you seen it?

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:05:41 PM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
The Gamecube version looks really good considering it's age, but the Wii U version is just beyond beautiful. I've only played the GC one, I own both, but i'd go with the Wii U. It also has the fast sail so you can avoid the "annoying sailing" that people often complain about, although it's a really minor annoyance.

It's a great game, probably my second favourite Zelda behind LTTP.

SW-6786-5095-2210

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:09:55 PM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
You should play the Wii U version. A lot of people complained that sailing in the gc version took way too long. They sped up the sailing process in the Wii U version and added a fast sail which makes traveling much easier.
The graphics are absolutely beautiful in hd.
The miiverse bottles are actually a really helpful feature. You can find these bottles on the ocean which contain posts from others from miiverse. Often the people include an attatched pictograph image that you can save. This is really helpful with completing the Nintendo gallery.
If you are using the game pad, you can easily switch items with the touchscreen and look at the map. The gyro aiming for bows works smoothly.
I'm sure I'm missing some things, but the hd version is the way to go.
i love this game!

Edited: 02/11/2017 at 01:11 PM by acromite53

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:21:48 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
WiiU has the fast sail, and I believe the Quest for the Triforce pieces was shortened. Those are the two biggest complaints abut the GC one, so you're probably better of with the WiiU one. That being said, the GC one still looks fantastic despite its age

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:25:22 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Wii U for sure. It's so breathtaking on the newer hardware, and as people have said, fast sail is a thing that will save you some (if minor) headache.

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:38:14 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
Wii U hands down, the GC version really offers no advantages over it unless you're super stoked on the GC controller or something.

www.videogamesage.com...

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:04:36 PM
Jerz_Kid (0)
< Little Mac >
Virginia
Another vote for the Wii U version -- it really looks amazing in HD. I'm playing through it now in hopes of completing it before BotW comes out!

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:40:23 PM
LastCat (73)
(Top Cat) < Lolo Lord >
Puerto Rico
Get the Wii U version, it's the cheapest out of the two AMD has adavantages over the GC version.

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:12:55 PM
Allegro (8)
< Eggplant Wizard >
South Carolina
I think the GC version both looks and plays better. I'm not fond of the fact that everything in the HD version looks like plastic toys in overly bright sunlight - the lighting in the GC version was much better for that cel-shaded effect they were aiming for. Wii U version looks like a soulless Pixar knockoff.

I think the gameplay is bogged down a lot by the tablet and the motion controls they tried to shoehorn in. I didn't play the Wii U version with a pro controller (because I will never pay that much for a controller by itself), so all of my experiences are with the tablet, but I wasn't fond of how much of a hassle it made aiming the boomerang and grapple. The GameCube controller really is just a flawless machine. Also, even though it's a thoughtful addition, the faster sail doesn't feel *that* much faster and detracts from the experience and feeling of usefulness of the Wind Waker... you know, the thing the game's named after. Yeah, it takes a lot of time to sail around in the GC version, but it adds to the atmosphere and makes you appreciate how cleverly they hid that loading screen.

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:32:22 PM
Rookie1 (22)
(Pig Benis) < El Ripper >
Maine
Get both

THINGS IM LOOKING FOR - http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:32:57 PM
Rookie1 (22)
(Pig Benis) < El Ripper >
Maine
Get both

THINGS IM LOOKING FOR - http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:52:19 PM
mmxforever (9)
(Dan S) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
Wii U for the sail, the shortened triforcequest and having the map/inventory on the game pad.

Feb 11, 2017 at 4:06:42 PM
Nightowljrm (42)
(Joseph Morgan) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
The Wii U is the GameCube version improved in every way: control, graphics, refined Triforce quest, swift sail, and the Miiverse support is somewhat amusing. There's really no reason to go back to the GameCube version in my opinion if you just want the core Wind Waker experience.

Feb 11, 2017 at 4:19:31 PM
KAMIKAWA (25)
(Keith Kamikawa) < Kraid Killer >
Wisconsin
Wii U no question. It gorgeous, the gameplay is enhanced with the use of the map/inventory screen on the gamepad, the (optional) motion controls for the bow/boomerang/etc are excellent, no idea what Allegro is talking about when he said it's "shoehorned in" since you can just ignore it and the faster sail is absolutely a great addition. Get both if you can, the GC to collect, the Wii U to play.

For Sale: Limited Run Games http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Check out my Virtual Reality game PolyAquatic out now on iOS for Google Cardboard!
Coming Soon to Oculus Rift! 
http://polyaquatic.com/...

If you're looking for game art, pixel, 3D, or graphic design hit me up!
https://keithkamikawa.com/...

Edited: 02/11/2017 at 09:58 PM by KAMIKAWA

Feb 11, 2017 at 5:10:38 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Wii U as the others have said. The fast sail makes a world of difference.

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:53:02 PM
Trevor (15)

< Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: KAMIKAWA

Wii U no question. It gorgeous, the gameplay is enhanced with the use of the map/inventory screed on the gamepad, the (optional) motion controls for the bow/boomerang/etc are excellent, no idea Allegro is talking about when he said it's "shoehorned in" since you can just ignore it and the faster sail is absolutely a great addition. Get both if you can, the GC to collect, the Wii U to play.

I agree. Gyro controls make aiming so easy in those games and like you said, can be completely ignored for the sticks. Plus I am one of the few that, while I love the gamecube, think it's controller is a huge turd.

I do think the GC version looks better due to less bloom though and I really like the gba connectivity for finding tingle statues instead of just placing a bomb in the Wii U version.

Feb 11, 2017 at 7:35:51 PM
ALTQQ (79)
(I've lost my television remote do you know where i Should look?) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
Sounds like the majority opinion is for the wiiu so I think I'll go that route. I looking at it more for a play through than collecting aspect. Thanks for the input! I am glad to hear I can avoid the motion controls, I do prefer to aim with a control stick

I lost my television remote, have you seen it?

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:31:14 PM
Doc.Stalk (25)
(Carson ) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario
wii u!!!!

My want list: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:02:39 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
Originally posted by: Allegro

I think the GC version both looks and plays better. I'm not fond of the fact that everything in the HD version looks like plastic toys in overly bright sunlight - the lighting in the GC version was much better for that cel-shaded effect they were aiming for. Wii U version looks like a soulless Pixar knockoff.

I'm not fond of the fact nobody has agreed with this post. Why is it everyone actually likes having their eyes seared by the hyper-realistic lighting in HD games? The over-detailed textures really do make the Wii U version look like a Pixar ripoff. The GC original actually looks like a video game.

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:09:43 PM
KAMIKAWA (25)
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: Guntz

Originally posted by: Allegro

I'm not fond of the fact nobody has agreed with this post. Why is it everyone actually likes having their eyes seared by the hyper-realistic lighting in HD games? The over-detailed textures really do make the Wii U version look like a Pixar ripoff. The GC original actually looks like a video game.
Sarcasm?

Check out my Virtual Reality game PolyAquatic out now on iOS for Google Cardboard!

Feb 12, 2017 at 1:46:16 AM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
No sarcasm, I'm dead serious.

Feb 12, 2017 at 1:54:51 AM
KAMIKAWA (25)
Wisconsin

No sarcasm, I'm dead serious.

Hrmm, still can't tell.  

I think people like the Wii U style because that's what they like....cause that's there taste in visuals.  I think it's a beautiful remaster, I also think it looks fantastic on the GC too.  People can like both, and like what other's don't.

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:00:38 AM
kamakaze_ekun (5)
< El Ripper >
Michigan
Get the Wii U version. Coming from someone who just beat Windwaker on GC the Wii U version is cheaper, nicer looking and has more features. Like everyone else has already said lol.

WHAT AM I SEEKING NOW???
PC Engine with video cable, power supply and controller. Looking to spend $100 to have this console in my collection.

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:17:39 AM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
No love for the GC original anymore.  

Edited: 02/12/2017 at 02:17 AM by Guntz

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:38:45 AM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia

No love for the GC original anymore.  

I still love the original, its just the HD version looks so good.

SW-6786-5095-2210