NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sunman original rom dump region? Help for making "original repro cart"

Feb 10, 2016 at 2:00:14 AM
Pheidian (14)
< Meka Chicken >
Finland
Hi,

just wondering if it is confirmed or not. I ran into a rom of Sunman, that says Europe, and when running on a real hardware and cart, it really is PAL version. The rom I have, also doesnt have the cheat for level skip working. It would make sense since the prototype was found in Spain, that the original prototype was PAL version, but can someone confirm me this, so I can make correct label for it (being the PAL B release).

Thanks!

-------------------------
Collecting licensed NES games: 710 of 711 - DONE! (Mah Jong Missing)

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:22:50 AM
snescentral (0)
(Evan Gowan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Japan
Lost Levels put out the original Sunman ROM image, you can read all about it on their site:

http://www.lostlevels.org/200311/...

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:42:48 AM
Pheidian (14)
< Meka Chicken >
Finland
Does not seem to talk about the release region - or the prototype region. To me it seems to play wrong in toploader and correct in PAL system...

Collecting licensed NES games: 710 of 711 - DONE! (Mah Jong Missing)

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:38:27 PM
TheRedEye (6)
(Frank Cifaldi) < Meka Chicken >
California
I'm the one who got the cart. I'll try to number out the facts here for you, but I don't think there's a clear answer:

1. The cartridge came from Spain.
2. The seller I got it from had several other NES and Game Boy protos. As in, 100+. This is also where we got Hit the Ice and Secret Ties, Cross Fire, and I want to say one other unreleased game? Best score of my life by far.
3. When I got protos of released games from him that had PAL-timed retail equivalents, the protos also had PAL timing (Mr. Gimmick and Spanish Maniac Mansion, I believe? maybe others?). So it was a "PAL" library.
4. ...but let's remember that not every game released in PAL territories was fixed for that region! Many PAL games are just NTSC ROMs inside.
5. To my ears, Sunman's music sounds correct in an NTSC NES, and too slow in a PAL NES. So I disagree with you.

Edited: 02/10/2016 at 05:38 PM by TheRedEye