Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Ebay Charging Sales Tax Now (If you're a buyer in NY/WA/more) Will it affect your buying/collecting from there?

Jun 03 at 10:20:55 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: tbone3969

This is BS!

How is preventing tax evasion BS?

-------------------------
Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jun 03 at 10:24:18 AM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
Originally posted by: beardcore84

Yea, the first time it happened to me was on a $600 purchase. That was fun.

But hey, if you live in America, you pay sales tax. That's the rules. Be happy we got away with it for so long in the first place.
I think my main issue with this is that most of the things I buy on Ebay are used, meaning someone already paid sales tax on them. Why do we need to pay sales tax on used items twice?

Jun 03 at 10:30:24 AM
beardcore84 (7)
(Cody ) < Meka Chicken >
Nebraska
Originally posted by: a3quit4s

Yea, the first time it happened to me was on a $600 purchase. That was fun.

But hey, if you live in America, you pay sales tax. That's the rules. Be happy we got away with it for so long in the first place.
I think my main issue with this is that most of the things I buy on Ebay are used, meaning someone already paid sales tax on them. Why do we need to pay sales tax on used items twice?

I'm not sure I understand that line of thinking. Have you ever purchased a used game from Gamestop or a local game shop? Every made a purchase from a thirift store? They all charge you sales tax. Whether the item is used or new is inconsequential. 

Follow me on Instagram - CodysGameRoom

Jun 03 at 10:36:55 AM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
I do get that, but I would say it should matter that you have already paid sales tax on something. It doesn't really matter what you are buying it's the transaction itself. I'm probably just bitching because who wants to spend extra money on stuff.

I like your avatar picture by the way!

Jun 03 at 10:44:56 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Just be thankful you don't pay an extra 50-100% or so on shipping, and then ANOTHER 25% on customs.

Jun 03 at 10:45:56 AM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
I'm more concerned that I get taxed on my earnings, then get taxed to spend the money that's left over.

Jun 03 at 10:49:24 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

I do get that, but I would say it should matter that you have already paid sales tax on something. It doesn't really matter what you are buying it's the transaction itself. I'm probably just bitching because who wants to spend extra money on stuff.

I like your avatar picture by the way!

Think about it for a second. If no taxes were issued on used goods, how are you to prove something isn't used? It would be exploited so badly and quickly.

Every purchase you make you're supposed to pay tax on it. Every time you sell something, you're supposed to pay tax on it.

I'm not sure why some folks are so hard up against this. I'm willing to bet everyone here benefits from some state or town service that is paid for by taxes. Would you be willing to give those services up to save $1 on a game purchase? A lot of your public safety is paid for by taxes, fyi.

Jun 03 at 10:52:12 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: bootload

I'm more concerned that I get taxed on my earnings, then get taxed to spend the money that's left over.

You don't get taxed on "what's left over". You get taxed on your income. You get taxed on most goods. You're not being taxed on what's in your checking account unless it paid out interest or any dividends.

Would you prefer to not have local police and fire departments on standby to protect your communities? Do you want to live in a shithole without a place of education? Probably not.

Jun 03 at 10:56:29 AM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
Originally posted by: dra600n

You don't get taxed on "what's left over". You get taxed on your income. You get taxed on most goods. You're not being taxed on what's in your checking account unless it paid out interest or any dividends. Would you prefer to not have local police and fire departments on standby to protect your communities? Do you want to live in a shithole without a place of education? Probably not.

If I make $50,000 a year, I pay about $10,000 in taxes. Of the $40,000 left over, I get taxed again on that when I spend it so the same income is getting taxed twice.

Jun 03 at 11:04:13 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

You don't get taxed on "what's left over". You get taxed on your income. You get taxed on most goods. You're not being taxed on what's in your checking account unless it paid out interest or any dividends. Would you prefer to not have local police and fire departments on standby to protect your communities? Do you want to live in a shithole without a place of education? Probably not.

If I make $50,000 a year, I pay about $10,000 in taxes. Of the $40,000 left over, I get taxed again on that when I spend it so the same income is getting taxed twice.
Different taxes and you aren’t being taxed twice. You’re being taxed once on your income then you’re paying a sales tax on most goods, not all. 

You clearly don’t understand how taxes work. 

Jun 03 at 11:13:46 AM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
I'd rather they just take it out than ask me to keep track of all of my out of state purchases, add them up, take the extra nickels and dimes for taxes, and then send the appropriate tax to each state, probably in change and packed tightly into a little envelope (or send a use tax to my own state). Or has no one else been paying sales tax or use tax all these years?

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Jun 03 at 11:14:14 AM
VmprHntrD (0)
< El Ripper >
United States
I didn't know they started to do tax collection per purchase on states that get tacked onto whatever your price+shipping are to the buyer, at least on the sellers end it's invisible and not our problem. The vile and sleazy tax law I knew of was for both MA and VT, anything at all from your own front door garage sale to ebay stuff if you make over $600 in an entire year they slap you with heavy taxation which is disgusting. I've got a friend in that state who is stuck with things because he has to try and under the table use facebook and their type because ebay starts hitting hard and fast once that level is hit.

While my state isn't on the ebay list to put the screws to, I have been noticing for some years we do have a law on the books to collect tax on purchases online for digital content so Nintendo and Sony will add state tax to the buys, yet gift cards are still immune.

Jun 03 at 11:14:46 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

There's a lot more than just two types of taxes. If you're only paying twice, you're getting off lucky. 

Jun 03 at 11:21:53 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: VmprHntrD

I didn't know they started to do tax collection per purchase on states that get tacked onto whatever your price+shipping are to the buyer, at least on the sellers end it's invisible and not our problem. The vile and sleazy tax law I knew of was for both MA and VT, anything at all from your own front door garage sale to ebay stuff if you make over $600 in an entire year they slap you with heavy taxation which is disgusting. I've got a friend in that state who is stuck with things because he has to try and under the table use facebook and their type because ebay starts hitting hard and fast once that level is hit.

While my state isn't on the ebay list to put the screws to, I have been noticing for some years we do have a law on the books to collect tax on purchases online for digital content so Nintendo and Sony will add state tax to the buys, yet gift cards are still immune.
You pay tax on the gift cards when you purchase them. 

Jun 03 at 11:31:59 AM
ap123 (65)
(Andrew P) < Meka Chicken >
New York
Slight segue, but I only realized a year or so ago that you don't pay sales tax if using store credit. I sometimes take advantage of Gamestop trade-in promotions like 50% extra credit and save it to use when they are running sales promotions for the triple win. Extra credit for the trade, reduced purchase price and zero sales tax.

Jun 03 at 11:33:05 AM
VmprHntrD (0)
< El Ripper >
United States
Not in this state I don't. I imagine some states would charge it but here if i went and grabbed a $20 gift card to a restaurant or a point card it's just that.

Jun 03 at 11:53:39 AM
beardcore84 (7)
(Cody ) < Meka Chicken >
Nebraska
You don't pay tax on a gift card purchase. If a store is taxing you for a gift card purchase, they aren't supposed to be.

Jun 03 at 12:10:30 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire

But hey, if you live in America, you pay sales tax.

*New Hampshire has entered the chat

Jun 03 at 12:14:45 PM
beardcore84 (7)
(Cody ) < Meka Chicken >
Nebraska
Originally posted by: Trj22487

But hey, if you live in America, you pay sales tax.

*New Hampshire has entered the chat

well played, lol

Jun 03 at 1:19:54 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: TENGEN

Just tried, didn’t hit me with sales tax - I’m in MD. Your experiment is interesting though, the stuff you tested were they from high volume sellers? It wouldn’t surprise me at all if eBay was accidentally charging you tax.

It was a mix. Just did a further experiment - it happens with a 0 feedback new user from Cali and even sellers from Canada!

Location of the SELLER is irrelevant.

The location of the BUYER is what matters here.

This is about eBay being made to help in complying with that line on your state tax returns where you claim to your state that you made no untaxed out of state purchases that should have been subject to state sales tax.

Most people didn't worry about this before, because the amount of out-of-state untaxed buying people used to do was relatively small.
(historically the only "big ticket" items this would hit would be driving down to Delaware to buy a car to try to avoid sales tax which you would instead have to pay to your state when you eventually register the vehicle)

But in the online purchase age, states making sure they get their slice of Amazon (and other online) sales is a large amount of cash, in total.

Edited: 06/03/2019 at 01:23 PM by arch_8ngel

Jun 03 at 1:24:26 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

You don't pay tax on a gift card purchase. If a store is taxing you for a gift card purchase, they aren't supposed to be.
Definitely this.

Gift card purchases are NOT taxable.
But purchases made with a gift card should be taxed as normal sales of any other type.

Jun 03 at 3:05:23 PM
Wheelcakes (14)
< Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
It has affected me slightly but is still usually still much cheaper then local prices.

KDDK Player  

Jun 03 at 6:25:16 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

Had to look it up - you're right. I never buy them, so I just assumed. The more you know!  

Jun 03 at 6:44:42 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

Had to look it up - you're right. I never buy them, so I just assumed. The more you know!  
Makes sense, though. They're equivalent to money.

If you paid tax on a card and then paid tax on the item the card was used to purchase, people would be pretty pissed.  

Jun 03 at 6:56:06 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Makes sense, though. They're equivalent to money.

If you paid tax on a card and then paid tax on the item the card was used to purchase, people would be pretty pissed.  

I honestly figured they just gave point equivalent, but that makes sense too   And yea, that would piss people off for sure lol